Author Topic: So is COH finally dead?  (Read 78867 times)

GamingGlen

• Boss
Re: So is COH finally dead?
« Reply #140 on: August 20, 2013, 07:01:48 AM »
My hand to non-existent sky friend, if I can hit one of these half-billion dollar lotteries the first thing I do after my two weeks in Hawaii is get on a plane for Seoul with a briefcase or ten and 80 odd million dollars in them.

With that kind of money it would be better making CoH2.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #141 on: August 20, 2013, 04:40:56 PM »
My hand to non-existent sky friend,...

Could we, please, do this without making fun of others' beliefs?

... if I can hit one of these half-billion dollar lotteries the first thing I do after my two weeks in Hawaii is get on a plane for Seoul with a briefcase or ten and 80 odd million dollars in them.

You couldn't have someone working on the deal while you're in Hawaii? Two weeks would be a long time for the rest of us to wait when we know that there's a possibility like this. And, when you have that kind of money, you know you want to be able to say, "I have people to do that for me."
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #142 on: August 20, 2013, 04:50:48 PM »
My hand to non-existent sky friend, if I can hit one of these half-billion dollar lotteries the first thing I do after my two weeks in Hawaii is get on a plane for Seoul with a briefcase or ten and 80 odd million dollars in them.

Yeah? Probably will take a bit to get through international customs with that type of dough in a briefcase these days.

But  me too, I probably make an offer myself with that type assuming that the millions offered will not prevent or get in the way of financial stability. And definitely wouldn't hire someone else to "do something like that for me." That would be some one else I must pay, probably high dollar for, for no guarantee on something I could just do myself. Assuming they are even up for offers. But I'd probably stop short of 20-25 million at the most. More than that, the money is just better off and more well spent for me in just putting it into the successor and or part two.

Even will hundreds of millions, doesn't mean I'm going to start throwing money away like water. Still have to survive for 35-50 more years. But if I could, I think making an offer might be a good buy overall and that could be considered my life time charity contribution.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 04:56:07 PM by JaguarX »

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #143 on: August 20, 2013, 05:13:27 PM »
I've been avoiding responding to the thread mainly because of the title.  Every time I read it, a little bile rises in the back of my throat and I have to take a deep breath to ward off the temptation to warm up the channelgun capacitors in my Crab Spider limbs.  I think now I've cooled off enough that I can remain civil about this.

That said... I'm kinda offended at the mere suggestion that CoH is 'finally dead.'

What really made CoH what it is?  NCsoft?  No, they merely hosted it.  Cryptic, and later Paragon Studios?  Closer, but they just developed and made the software.  The game universe, and all its rich lore and character development?  Still closer, but not quite - that's just the environment it existed within.

No, none of these are what CoH really is.

It's us.  You, me, all of us who played and enjoyed the game, poured our creativity, and maybe even our hearts and souls into creating characters to explore that world.  Who appreciated it enough to support, monetarily, Cryptic, Paragon, and yes even NCsoft before they revealed themselves to be the insipid cretins that they are.  So long as we preserve the memory of CoH and work towards its restoration, either physically (such as the reverse-engineering crew trying to create a compatible server) or in spirit (such as the folks working on Plan Z successor projects, like The Phoenix Project or Heroes and Villains) or in memory (such as the good folks at Paragon Wiki who have exhaustively catalogued much of the game, and still work to piece together what information they're still missing via screenshots, logs and memory), City of Heroes is not dead.

True, it's not playable right now.  We can't gather beneath the namesake of Atlas Park, or in Pocket D, or beneath the statue of Recluse in Grandville.  We can't go pursue heroic missions or dastardly plots in Paragon City or the Rogue Isles.  We can't alternately praise or damn Emperor Cole the Tyrant in Praetoria right now.

But dead?  Not even hardly.

I'm a villain.  Boo and hiss if you must, I've got six limbs with middle fingers to gesture with in return.  Believe me, I've been using them in NCsoft's general direction for quite some time now.  But I digress.  Being a villain teaches you one thing - determination and a lack of scruples can get you a lot in this world.  When you don't really give two arachnoid turds what the rest of the world thinks, and pursue your goals with bloody-minded abandon, you tend to get stuff done.  It tends to shock people when it happens too.  Hehehehe...

We've got a lot of people with this kind of determination in this community.  Yeah, sure, maybe the Disney & Google efforts fell through, with the characteristic silence of a business that wants to tell you 'no' but doesn't have the gonads to do so.  They were worth a shot.  But they weren't the only irons we had in the fire, and still aren't.  There's at least two successor projects, at least one server engineering project, and I really doubt Team Wildcard has fully given up yet.  The sales pitch is still there, waiting for a new possible company to take interest.

It might be a bit of a 'shotgun approach to world conquest' but hey, sometimes that works.  No good villain relies solely on one evil scheme.  Backup plans upon backup plans - every good Mastermind practically breathes this phrase like a mantra.  We're not done yet, not by a long shot.

Me?  I can't do much at the moment.  My talents lie towards blasting things that offend me, not business maneuvering or computer code manipulation.  I'll definitely help out here I can when the opportunity presents itself, that time just hasn't come yet.  I'm fine with that.  Patience is probably the one virtue that good villains are a bit reticent to give up.

But so long as these plans still exist, so long as some option exists for CoH to return, so long as its community stays together and keeps its memory alive, CoH is not dead.

Merely sleeping.

EDIT: A quick addendum for those who think I'm just spouting prose here.  Earth & Beyond has a fan-made server reverse-engineered from scratch.  It took them over three years to get it to a playable state.  Yet, here it is and it's fully playable now.

CoH is a much, much larger and more complex game than Earth and Beyond.  It may take longer.  But we've already seen the beginnings.  We've already got a way to fool the client into letting us create costumes and enter the game world, in demorecord mode.  It's only a matter of time.  It's not even been a year since the shutdown notice yet.

Have some faith in our local computer wizards and supergeniuses, hmm?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 05:44:39 PM by Kaiser Tarantula »

Pinnacle Blue

• Boss
  • Pinnacle Server is best server.
« Reply #144 on: August 20, 2013, 05:26:45 PM »
Could we, please, do this without making fun of others' beliefs?

To be fair, there's more than one sky friend out there and Eoraptor didn't specify one.  ;)
Warshades don't take Alphas.  They give Alphas.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #145 on: August 20, 2013, 07:04:45 PM »
I have never had more faith that we will someday have our City back. I cling to that faith with my whole being.
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #146 on: November 03, 2013, 07:31:46 PM »
I'm a villain.  Boo and hiss if you must, I've got six limbs with middle fingers to gesture with in return.  Believe me, I've been using them in NCsoft's general direction for quite some time now.  But I digress.  Being a villain teaches you one thing - determination and a lack of scruples can get you a lot in this world.  When you don't really give two arachnoid turds what the rest of the world thinks, and pursue your goals with bloody-minded abandon, you tend to get stuff done.  It tends to shock people when it happens too.  Hehehehe...

We've got a lot of people with this kind of determination in this community.  Yeah, sure, maybe the Disney & Google efforts fell through, with the characteristic silence of a business that wants to tell you 'no' but doesn't have the gonads to do so.  They were worth a shot.  But they weren't the only irons we had in the fire, and still aren't.  There's at least two successor projects, at least one server engineering project, and I really doubt Team Wildcard has fully given up yet.  The sales pitch is still there, waiting for a new possible company to take interest.

It might be a bit of a 'shotgun approach to world conquest' but hey, sometimes that works.  No good villain relies solely on one evil scheme.  Backup plans upon backup plans - every good Mastermind practically breathes this phrase like a mantra.  We're not done yet, not by a long shot.

Me?  I can't do much at the moment.  My talents lie towards blasting things that offend me, not business maneuvering or computer code manipulation.  I'll definitely help out here I can when the opportunity presents itself, that time just hasn't come yet.  I'm fine with that.  Patience is probably the one virtue that good villains are a bit reticent to give up.

But so long as these plans still exist, so long as some option exists for CoH to return, so long as its community stays together and keeps its memory alive, CoH is not dead.

Merely sleeping.

EDIT: A quick addendum for those who think I'm just spouting prose here.  Earth & Beyond has a fan-made server reverse-engineered from scratch.  It took them over three years to get it to a playable state.  Yet, here it is and it's fully playable now.

CoH is a much, much larger and more complex game than Earth and Beyond.  It may take longer.  But we've already seen the beginnings.  We've already got a way to fool the client into letting us create costumes and enter the game world, in demorecord mode.  It's only a matter of time.  It's not even been a year since the shutdown notice yet.

Have some faith in our local computer wizards and supergeniuses, hmm?
Here here!   I needed to read this.

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #147 on: November 03, 2013, 09:32:14 PM »
Don't give up. The city will rise again!

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #148 on: November 03, 2013, 11:12:14 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjjZq18dp3w
's all. Ain't over till we let it. So don't.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #149 on: November 04, 2013, 12:58:23 AM »
So long as a hero stands tall, CoH is not dead.

So long as a villain terrorizes the innocent, CoH is not dead.

CoH is more than code and artwork, it is a living thing, one made up of all of us. So long as we survive, so does CoH.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #150 on: November 04, 2013, 06:54:12 AM »
NCSoft (Nihilists): Yes, CoH is dead.  Have you tried Blade and Soul?

Paragon Studios (Optimists): As long as the players care about it, it'll never die.

Titan Network (Pragmatists): We are CoH's lifeboat, whatever happens to it.

My perspective (Self-described Huguenot): Paragon City is gone-- Atlas Park, Mercy Island, Nova Praetoria... all blown to hell.  But we'll have another home in two to three years from Plan Z projects (one of them had a VERY good day today: http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/missingworldsmedia/the-phoenix-project-city-of-titans/ ).  If that's too far in the future for you, that's why Titan Network exists.

And we have other Free to play games to fill the time until then... I have accounts on the three Cryptic Studios games (Star Trek Online, Champions Online, and Neverwinter), Aeria Games, and The Secret World. If anyone wants to meet up and play sometime, PM me for globals and servers (I check this site once a week).  I'm no expert or min-maxer, so I can't help powerlevel you or make a PvP build, but I can definitely help with the basics and getting around.  Just know that I'm a refugee from Triumph, and on Triumph, whatever we end up playing, we play without pants.  (This is the cost of admission, and is completely non-negotiable.)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 07:01:17 AM by Tahquitz »
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

healix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #151 on: November 05, 2013, 12:14:46 PM »
Tahquitz, Triumph was my only server, and all my characters were there. Like you, I am a realistic person, but I won't believe that Paragon City is gone. Look at all the things that were unheard of at one time...walking on the moon is a pretty good example. Compared to that, getting CoH back is not that unrealistic, I respect you, my fellow pantsless friend, and I am not trying to change your mind....I am trying to open it. :)

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #152 on: November 05, 2013, 02:20:59 PM »
Tahquitz, Triumph was my only server, and all my characters were there. Like you, I am a realistic person, but I won't believe that Paragon City is gone. Look at all the things that were unheard of at one time...walking on the moon is a pretty good example. Compared to that, getting CoH back is not that unrealistic, I respect you, my fellow pantsless friend, and I am not trying to change your mind....I am trying to open it. :)

Well said! :)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #153 on: November 05, 2013, 02:34:44 PM »
And when we return to the city, we will go marching pantsless through the streets and basking in the city's glory!
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Tacitala

• Boss
« Reply #154 on: November 05, 2013, 04:04:02 PM »
My perspective (Self-described Huguenot): Paragon City is gone-- Atlas Park, Mercy Island, Nova Praetoria... all blown to hell.

Nonsense, they were just fine when I fired up Icon a few days ago.  We just don't have the things the sever was handling- yet.  Give the reverse engineering folks some time.
"And I, of course, am innocent of all but malice."
- Princess Fiona of Amber

healix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #155 on: November 05, 2013, 08:46:46 PM »
Nonsense, they were just fine when I fired up Icon a few days ago.  We just don't have the things the sever was handling- yet.  Give the reverse engineering folks some time.

Wow...I was thinking along the same line. I mean, who would have dreamed we could get back in the game for any reason??? When I look at my puter, I see a big metal box sitting there. What's going on inside, unseen, is a hub of activity. That's why I think we will get our City back. Too many people want it back...and who knows what might be going on that we don't see. Until we fly those familiar skies once more, I will continue to say

fufu

• Underling
« Reply #156 on: November 15, 2013, 10:46:52 AM »
CoH(X) will always stay in my heart. Nothing more to say. It was fantastic with Mid's Hero Designer tool.
And yes, i will play City of Titans, of course.

Cy soon there  ;)

batqueen

• Boss
  • [flap flap]
« Reply #157 on: November 15, 2013, 11:06:27 PM »
   When Paragon blew up, it threw large chunks of city out into cyberspace. Many of these chunks seem to be separate instances of the same streets. Each instance is protected by a force field or dome like Superman's little Kryptonian shard. The heroes and villains trapped inside each one survived, and are fine. Somehow, The city was not completely destroyed, but was shattered into many pieces.

Titan Forums are how the separate cities are connected, lashed together like rafts out in the ocean. We are the survivors looking for a way to reconnect. We have lost some along the way, they couldn't hold on any more. When the day rises on a new Paragon, surely we will see them again.

So, tend to your pieces of Atlas Park, Pocket D and Mercy Island. We are so much closer now than when we started a year ago. If you really miss it, that proves it's still Worth waiting and trying for. This is how it survives. This is how it comes back, because people never stop asking, and wanting, and hacking, and doing anything they can do to get everything back.

And... I can see, with my Super Vision Scope 7000, way over there, that it's indeed true, Taci and Healix's Cities and heroes (and villains!) are doing just fine.

They're just ...waiting.

It all makes me feel a little like Huey and Dewey though...

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #158 on: November 16, 2013, 06:19:37 AM »
Wow, I did not intend for my remarks to have such a reaction, nor did I have no intent of "trolling", apologies if anyone saw it that way.  (And yes, to paraphrase Eminem, I forgot about Icon.)  And I certainly do not want to drag on the people working on unofficial servers, Plan Z projects, or reverse engineering efforts, who can't give deadlines on anything they are doing.  I certainly don't expect to complain and get results tomorrow. 

Why I wrote what I did is because I don't think NCSoft is going to change their mind: their position on the game has been unchanged since the August announcement last year; the message has been consistent and harsh.  If there was any news about City of Heroes from NCSoft since then that was different in tone (the "we've exhausted all other options" post wasn't positive at all), I'd feel differently.

And that NCSoft selling a game would be a first-ever occurence, considering their history.  I remember a comment that a Tabula Rasa blogger made in 2009 that stated that NCSoft doesn't want to compete against a product they made.  (I know, bloggers are a dime a dozen and not a news outlet.)  And NCSoft's past so far is proving that to be absolutely true.  If City of Heroes was sold, reopened, or released to the community in some manner, it would be a first for the company.  That is a lot to expect based on how they've ignored Tabula Rasa's users and their repeated attempts to get their game back online (One attempt as recent as this year, but unlike City of Heroes, TR was complicated by very public litigation.) 

I know Titan Network users still hold out hope that things will change, and apart from the circumstances of why or how I would love to see City of Heroes come back if it did.  I would love to be proven wrong about NCSoft ("And what happened then...? Well...in Seoul they say that T.J. Kim's small heart grew three sizes that day!") I'm just listing the above to explain why I said what I said, not to campaign my beliefs to others and keep arguing about it.

Next Year in Paragon, at the least, if only in our own hearts.  If in a server flying around with friends, even better. :D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 06:55:11 AM by Tahquitz »
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #159 on: November 16, 2013, 08:06:18 AM »
I think that it is reasonable not to pin high hopes on a speedy return of CoH.  City of Heroes is so excellent, I feel it's eventual return is likely, almost inevitable, but the future will show whether my opinion is overly optimistic or not,  So, no we don't have game.  And it's been one year, a year that had some pretty incredible creative thinking and fan activity.  Last I heard Team Wildcard hasn't given up.  And we do have City of Titans - okay, I know that's another year wait.  At minimum, we have our camaraderie & community here.

/em holdtorch

"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine