Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7323965 times)

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #17560 on: June 05, 2015, 01:29:33 PM »
ongoing negotiations could mean anything from intense discussion to an email every other month asking if you are still interested

You forgot original mail method, posted letter.... ???

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #17561 on: June 05, 2015, 01:30:01 PM »
Most of the wizardry in Icon, no offense to Codewalker at all, involves Codewalker figuring out how to unlock features, not create them.

Most, but not all. It does a few things that the client normally knows nothing about, like spawning persistent NPCs and figuring out where to place players. But those are fairly easy to do so it wasn't hard to guess how the server most likely handles it.

At the end of the day, Icon is just a hack though. It has some interesting features like a pseudo-runtime linker, but is ultimately a hack.

I'm working on something else that isn't a hack that should be ready Soon(tm). It's not quite close enough to start posting teasers about, but almost...

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #17562 on: June 05, 2015, 01:48:05 PM »
Most, but not all. It does a few things that the client normally knows nothing about, like spawning persistent NPCs and figuring out where to place players. But those are fairly easy to do so it wasn't hard to guess how the server most likely handles it.

At the end of the day, Icon is just a hack though. It has some interesting features like a pseudo-runtime linker, but is ultimately a hack.

I'm working on something else that isn't a hack that should be ready Soon(tm). It's not quite close enough to start posting teasers about, but almost...

Oooooooooooooooo you tease  ;)

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17563 on: June 05, 2015, 02:35:34 PM »

Modest as he is gifted.  If Icon is a 'hack'  :o I can't wait to see the 'something else' which isn't a 'hack.'  *Palpable excitement.    :o

((*I like that...you can 'guess' how the server does something eg. spawn persistent NPCs and the placing of players.  How much of a leap is it, I wonder, to 'spawn' those street NPCs persistently at the 'lollipop' locations of the spawn points (the locations of which 'we' can see in the developer mode of icon.  A fascinating viewpoint to see all the 'colour keys' for different mobs.)

*Be still my beating heart.  I'm intrigued as to what this 'isn't a hack' is. 

Keep up the heroic work, Codewalker.  There's a whole community rooting for your efforts.

Azrael.

PS. 

'Almost...' 

8)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 02:53:45 PM by Azrael »

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #17564 on: June 05, 2015, 02:46:28 PM »
Project swgnge has restarted 3 times due to stability issues and crashes. But the new holocore (Formerly named core 3) just finished it's first update. with the project now public on github the progress should really start to move along as others become interested in helping. For those that cant wait you can always play swgemu instead but I personally dont like the older slower combat system as much. Plus the lack of a certain class that is basically the icon of starwars (cough force users cough)
I was really confused on that because back in the day you had to unlock them... Basically why I didnt play it when it was a new game.

I miss my mansion and my jedi, commando, bounty hunter and crafter though. So hopefully someday soon I can also pick up where I left off in that game too.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #17565 on: June 05, 2015, 03:02:13 PM »

But, you just DID post a teaser! Swine! :P

WildFire15

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17566 on: June 05, 2015, 03:02:49 PM »

Too early to post teasers, but you tease us anyway :P

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #17567 on: June 05, 2015, 03:07:41 PM »
But, you just DID post a teaser! Swine! :P

That's not a teaser, that's a hint. A teaser would be a slick image in its own thread. :)

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17568 on: June 05, 2015, 03:08:55 PM »
That's not a teaser, that's a hint. A teaser would be a slick image in its own thread. :)

So the month of June keeps getting better  :D

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #17569 on: June 05, 2015, 03:21:55 PM »
Thanks for all your works, Codewalker.

Interesting things always seem to happen when I 'm down here in Florida and relatively cut off
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #17570 on: June 05, 2015, 04:19:25 PM »

"Urgh...oooooooo...gasp....meeeyoww..."   :o

nicoliy

• Boss
« Reply #17571 on: June 05, 2015, 05:53:57 PM »

Thanks for something new to obsess over :P, as if I don't lurk around here enough already!!

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #17572 on: June 05, 2015, 06:14:26 PM »
Thanks for all your works, Codewalker.

Interesting things always seem to happen when I 'm down here in Florida and relatively cut off

What, you mean OTHER than having to chuck snakes and lizards out of your bed every night? :p

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17573 on: June 05, 2015, 06:39:52 PM »
What, you mean OTHER than having to chuck snakes and lizards out of your bed every night? :p
the snakes and lizards aren't the problem. them gators cozyin' up to you in the middle of the night are the real issue...

OhioKnight, maybe you should move to Florida so exciting CoH news will happen more often.  ;D
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17574 on: June 05, 2015, 09:10:25 PM »

True, although what I meant was that Icon does things the client is capable of doing if specifically told what to do, like create and delete entities, or get them to play an animation sequence (i.e. things a demorecord can do without servers around).

Technically speaking the client can do everything, since the client is the only way we experience the game.  But at the moment, what Icon does is more within the realm of telling the client to perform something I might colloquially call an atomic primitive.  Something that more or less the game client can do by giving it a single command to do something explicit.  The logical extrapolation of Icon would be to get it to do some of the things that require sequences of commands to execute.  Scripts, if you will.  Animation+VFX, say, or movement pathing.

Gee.  I wonder what that could be.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #17575 on: June 05, 2015, 09:18:01 PM »
Gee.  I wonder what that could be.

I'll quote myself from earlier in the thread to help manage expectations.

It's probably not what you really want, but we still think it's pretty cool.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17576 on: June 05, 2015, 09:28:45 PM »
It's probably not what you really want (though it might be for some people), but we still think it's pretty cool.

Is it the long awaited Statesman/Recluse/Fusionette skins for HKO?

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17577 on: June 05, 2015, 09:37:27 PM »

So, basically, a tease, but not a teaser. You teaser, you.

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17578 on: June 05, 2015, 09:38:58 PM »
Is it the long awaited Statesman/Recluse/Fusionette skins for HKO?

Maybe it's the long-awaited Moonwalk option.

Blackgrue

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17579 on: June 05, 2015, 10:55:11 PM »

Except that Taquila has a great big SOON(tm) in the update window...
Virtue native

Main characters:
Diz the Goblin
Projekt Redstorm