Author Topic: The Secret World/Secret World Legends  (Read 159844 times)

saipaman

• Elite Boss
Re: The Secret World
« Reply #160 on: September 07, 2013, 03:23:46 AM »
I've been playing the 'Secret World' again the last few weeks.  I can't imagine this game is long for this world.  In three nights of two to four hours of play per night, I never saw more than a few people and almost no chatting.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #161 on: September 07, 2013, 04:23:23 AM »
ive played it, but ive stopped because there is no reason to go to the other zones, because 1 could do the starting zone and stay there.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #162 on: September 07, 2013, 06:03:11 AM »
I've only been as far as Blue Mountain.

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #163 on: September 07, 2013, 09:54:29 PM »
I've taken a couple players through more-or-less all the available content (although there's a massive new zone on the way), and it remains my favorite MMO (by a pretty big stretch, actually). It's by no means empty, but you kind of have to know where to look. The first three zones (Solomon Island) tend to be fairly sparse in population, as there seems to be only a modest trickle of new players, and there aren't a lot of reasons to return for someone in QL10+ gear.

It's not a chatty game in open zone chat (thank all the gods) except in Agartha (the "hollow earth" travel hub, which is also the access to some higher level instanced content like Nightmare-level dungeons). In Agartha, the amount of zone chat, mostly dungeon teaming requests done is rather cryptic shorthand, is overwhelming at times. As a roleplayer, I pretty much tune it out, actually.

Can't wait for the new zone to hit, in part because it ill bring back some of my usual gaming crew to the game and away from TOR, which despite herculean effort, I just can't connect with.

Empyrean

• Lieutenant
The Secret World
« Reply #164 on: November 06, 2013, 02:39:22 PM »
I just posted over on the Champions Online forum because I left CO a few months ago for TSW, and, after posting my impressions of TSW over there, I thought I'd expand on them here and see others here think about the game.

For me, TSW REALLY took patience and stick-to-itiveness, but I hung in there and I'm really glad I did.  I found a challenging, exciting, smart, atmospheric story-driven game where you ARE a superhero (they come out and say it ingame frequently) just in a grittier way and on a smaller scale--at first.  I was able to re-create one of my supernatural heroes from CoH there and he fits in very well.  I do occasionally miss the primary colors, tights and cape aesthetic and classic "travel powers", but while I was afraid that would be a deal breaker for me, I found that the game was so good once I was over the hump that I am having a ball and really getting into it.

They've had some trouble getting people into the game after a buggy start, but, after really sinking my teeth into it, I have to say that I think their biggest problem is that  they were too uncompromising in their integrity and made the game too darn challenging and smart for most gamers (present company excepted--I never considered real CoH people your average "gamers").  If they'd sold out a bit more they would have done much better--but I'm glad they didn't :D.  You do take a beating from the learning curve, thought.  If you try it out, be ready for that.   It's not a "short attention span theater" game.  More like a good game for stubborn people who like a challenge.

Unfortunately, because of that they are fighting to keep their company and games alive and have had to circle their wagons, but they did it so intelligently and well--consolidating their teams in one location and sharing between their two games that have the same engine--that the development quality and pace of both games has actually improved!  They've been releasing some truly amazing stuff in TSW.

I will say that, after getting through the initial learning/understanding the world curve, I will have different standard for games from now on as far as story, atmosphere, challenge level and intelligence in a game.  It reminds me of how good the story, atmosphere, and development was in CoH in the Paragon Studios halcyon days.

ADVICE: 

1)  If you try TSW, stay in each zone until you exhaust every single mission in that zone!  It doesn't look like it because there are no "levels", but the difficulty really ratchets up from zone to zone!  One of the challenges I had at first was not feeling very heroic when I was getting squashed--till I learned to stay where I belong while leveling.  The game is innately challenging, so it's a lot more fun to be slightly over powered for a zone than under-powered.

2) You do feel like a small potato at first, but don't let that bother you while progressing--deep in the endgame you become a true demigod of a superhero, it just takes patience.

3) Move!  Actively avoiding the big attacks with movement and terrain makes the difference between "they're crazy, I can't beat that boss" and "Hmm, that was easy".

PS-  The community is mostly great (with your normal smattering of miserable bastards who usually aren't tolerated) and there are lots of CoH people there :).  And even a CoH channel and a CoH groups!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 02:49:34 PM by Empyrean »

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #165 on: November 06, 2013, 06:31:32 PM »
As a long-term Secret Worlder, I love your post...very good presentation! I've actually taken something of a sabbatical from TSW that's just ending, mostly a case of my usual partners-in-crime wandering into TOR while awaiting additional TSW major content additions (which are happening as we speak). Two of my three characters are "endgamers," but one has a lot less of the Wheel complete and is only nearing the end of the second zone. Happy to hook up (if you're Illuminati-friendly!).

Simply THE most immersive MMO I've ever played, and the best-written. Combat's not brilliant (but it's playable and definitely challenging), and the character movement and combat animations are so-so...but those are really my only complaints with the game. Roleplayer paradise (assuming the game's setting and theme work for you...it's not as easy to ignore canon and theme and "roll your own" as it was in CoH). I didn't try to re-make any of my (125+) City characters  there, but several friends did, with pretty good success.

Anyone playing who wants some 'Lumie* company can look me up on either "StraightRed," "Cascadiant," or "JustAstrid" (no global, which is kind of annoying). Or just message me here...

* I really bought into their "immersion in your faction" thing, and play exclusively Illuminati. =)

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #166 on: November 08, 2013, 02:54:40 PM »
I'm still playing TSW.  I've adopted a new tactic.  I play only until I get killed and then I'm done for the night.  I've found it has made me a better player.

JetFlash

• Boss
« Reply #167 on: November 08, 2013, 07:25:26 PM »
Do they have a trial version?  Not interested in buying a game that I end up not liking...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 06:58:18 PM by JetFlash »

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #168 on: November 08, 2013, 10:08:46 PM »
Do they have a trial version?  Not interesting in buying a game that I end up not liking...

Nope, no trial version since they switched to a pay once, play forever model. It's a good game if you've got a computer that can handle it sufficiently.

2012 Trailer

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #169 on: November 09, 2013, 12:30:34 AM »
I'm still playing TSW.  I've adopted a new tactic.  I play only until I get killed and then I'm done for the night.  I've found it has made me a better player.

Ah, if only more people played that way. TSW really isn't a 'scream and leap' game. It's more of a sneak and snoop and fight when you must game, particularly in the earlier zones while you're still building your abilities.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

wyldhunt

• Lieutenant
« Reply #170 on: November 09, 2013, 01:53:47 PM »
Ah, if only more people played that way. TSW really isn't a 'scream and leap' game. It's more of a sneak and snoop and fight when you must game, particularly in the earlier zones while you're still building your abilities.
I've made TSW my home at least one of the CoH successors (or SCoRE) is ready for play. I have a Blood/Blade build in the Carpathian Fangs, and with that build, it's always been sneak/snoop. However, I've recently made a Fists/Chaos, I'm while sure it will be sneak/snoop in the Blue Mountains, that build in Kingsmouth is scream and leap - mowing zombies like grass.
Wyldhunt
Guardianite since I2
Playing as Wyldhaunt on Rebirth

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #171 on: November 10, 2013, 06:04:52 AM »

Death usually comes for me as failure of my ability to sneak and snoop.  I played for a couple of hours tonight and got taken out by surprise in Blue Mountain.   My character isn't really ready for that zone but I wanted to work through one of the Halloween quests.

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
« Reply #172 on: November 11, 2013, 02:21:30 AM »
Death usually comes for me as failure of my ability to sneak and snoop.  I played for a couple of hours tonight and got taken out by surprise in Blue Mountain.   My character isn't really ready for that zone but I wanted to work through one of the Halloween quests.

I can relate to that. I tried to run that same quest with a fairly new character and never even made it past the Bed and Breakfast. I tried again with a more established character and an assist from a friend and we did ok until we hit Blue Mountain, then things got a bit ugly. A bit more sneaking might have made the difference.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #173 on: November 11, 2013, 03:08:49 AM »
I might not have made it past the three kittens if someone else hadn't run up and starting helping me with them.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 08:04:31 AM by saipaman »

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
« Reply #174 on: November 11, 2013, 03:11:41 AM »
That was the spot. I got one of the three. Then the other two turned me into cat chow.

JetFlash

• Boss
« Reply #175 on: November 11, 2013, 07:01:42 PM »
Nope, no trial version since they switched to a pay once, play forever model. It's a good game if you've got a computer that can handle it sufficiently.

2012 Trailer

I have no problems running modern games at maximum settings, so that isn't a concern.  Ah well, it's not like I don't have dozens of other games to choose from to play.

Maybe Steam will have it cheap over the holiday sales. :)

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #176 on: November 12, 2013, 01:37:47 AM »
I believe they already had a 'free to play' weekend on Steam.  I could be wrong about that.

Empyrean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #177 on: November 13, 2013, 01:54:22 PM »
As I mentioned before, I've found really hanging back in a zone helps you be able to "scream and leap" at least some :).  I make sure that I've at least done every single mission of every type before I let the main story mission take me to the next zone.  It feels more like a normal MMO that way--and usually, if you're patient, they're all worth doing.  And I've learned to go ahead and get hints if I get stuck, because it's not always your fault--some of the mystery missions are flawed.

Hero of Steel

• Boss
« Reply #178 on: November 20, 2013, 11:00:52 AM »

2012 Trailer

Buddy Keys replaced the old trials.

JetFlash

• Boss
« Reply #179 on: November 22, 2013, 01:48:49 AM »
Ah that would be good.  I'll PM my address if you'd like to help me out. :)