Author Topic: Favorite Glitches?  (Read 12316 times)

Inc42

• Boss
Favorite Glitches?
« on: March 23, 2015, 06:10:32 AM »
Every once in a while CoH would have some pretty awesome (and sometimes annoying) glitches. I mean, there were things that players exploited, especially in AE, but there were other really cool little things as well.

My favorite was a glitch they had at one point where they broke trench coats and a couple similar pieces, like the one from the magic costume set, you would not have a right arm. This glitch was fixed pretty quickly, however any costumes made DURING the glitch would not be corrected until you went and updated your costume. I ended up creating a brute centering around this visual glitch named Phantom Hand and leveled it up enough to get every costume slot, each missing the right hand so he attacked with just a floating ax. I remember later they had a similar thing with the neck not showing, but it was a bit too subtle for me to want to do another character around it.

Anyone else have anything like that?

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: Favorite Glitches?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 06:50:07 AM »
When the skirts were turned sideways, so the one with the slits on the sides went practically up to the crotch. I made trashy costumes galore with that, laughing the entire time (especially since they were out of character on most ladies I updated). Sadly they were fixed and I had to scrap all the costumes.

I also liked it when, inside a mission, if you positioned your camera juuuuuuuuust so, the walls would disappear and you could see every enemy that had been spawned on that level. Made it easy to gauge whether I needed to take a breather or could keep going at 10% HP and squeak through another spawn. :)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 03:12:02 PM »
Not sure if these are glitches or bugs but once after an update the door to get into the main Grandville building wasn't there! They had to take the game down again to fix it.

Or the time on some of the Task Forces the AV's had 1100% health regen instead of 11% or whatever it was supposed to be.
It was almost impossible to beat them unless you had like 4 or 5 debuffers on the team spamming debuffs.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 06:24:23 PM »
Not sure if these are glitches or bugs but once after an update the door to get into the main Grandville building wasn't there! They had to take the game down again to fix it.
I remember that! I used my main villain's second build to get Recall Friend so I could port people out. LOL
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 06:47:00 PM »
When the skirts were turned sideways, so the one with the slits on the sides went practically up to the crotch. I made trashy costumes galore with that, laughing the entire time (especially since they were out of character on most ladies I updated). Sadly they were fixed and I had to scrap all the costumes.

I also liked it when, inside a mission, if you positioned your camera juuuuuuuuust so, the walls would disappear and you could see every enemy that had been spawned on that level. Made it easy to gauge whether I needed to take a breather or could keep going at 10% HP and squeak through another spawn. :)
I remember both of these. :) My favorite one was the disappearing walls, I used this as many times as I could, usually it was to check where the glowie was and like you seeing where and how many enemies there where on the remaining floors or the single floor.
I also liked it when I hit an enemy high into the air they would ragdoll on to a spike. :D
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 07:44:11 PM »
Place desk.

Place desk on top of desk.

Repeat, rotating each desk 4 times.

Place stuff on top of topmost desk.

Move topmost desk to another room to bypass the check about moving a surface with things stacked on it.

Delete other desks.

Admire floating objects.

Build a 2-story fort!

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 10:11:29 PM »
Not a glitch but when rag doll was officially added the game would:

1. Hit target with attack.
2. Knockback triggers ragdoll "engine/effect"
3. Target twitches around like it has no spine for 10 seconds.
4. "Engine/effect" turns off and target starts to stand up.
5. Laughing while you've been shooting the target for the entire 15 seconds it took to fight back.

Soooo, basically anything with energy blasts at the start of City of Villains.
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 12:53:46 AM »
I use to watch people walk through walls and mid air in Firebase Zulu.
I sometimes saw this in other zones.

I had a character, Marvelous Mary (psuedo Mary Marvel) and every time she swam, her skirt would disappear.
But it would re-appear after getting out of the water....weird.

no, that's not why she was named 'marvelous'. :roll:

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 02:03:48 AM »
Mirror Spirit in Faultline would be invisible.
Sometimes only from the waist up.
It is funny being trained by a half a trainer.
The drink emote would sometimes put the glass through the hand of my thirsty toon.
He would still lift his arm to take a sip, but instead he would kiss the bottom of the glass.

And probably the most annoying of all.  The glitch where teammates would end up on different mission maps.  Those were the days.

emperorsteele

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 03:06:06 AM »
There was the "Michale Bay" glitch with Ritki drones that caused them to explode TEN TIMES when defeated. That was always fun!

Supermax

• Minion
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 03:39:30 AM »
Pretty early on there was a glitch that was used extensively for power leveling. There was some mission that awarded some insane amount of XP for every glowie you clicked in the mission...then reset and repeat. The amount of XP was way beyond anything else you could do at the time. But the coolest thing about the glitch was that you got the XP no matter where you were, as long as you were on the team. You could be in a completely different zone, and you still got the XP.

It was really fun standing in AP right under the Atlas statue and just leveling up every minute. People had no idea what was going on. I eventually convinced them that another guy standing there was "handing out free XP"....and soon after that he was being flooded by pm's from the whole server, asking to give them XP.

It was pretty hilarious :)

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 05:14:30 AM »
Glitch or exploit or something Death From Below had a bug; if you hauled ass to the end of the first area without killing lieutenants and mobs along the way, you could kill the boss, then run back to the start of the trial, run the level as normal, and the boss would spawn again, getting two boss fights, XP, rewards, etc out of one area.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

ricodah

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 05:44:49 AM »
I remember being in a supergroup, we would form a team of 8, enter a mission, kick one member from the team but he would remain in the mish.  He would invite 7 more people to a second group and after they all enter the mish, kick another and that person would invite people to form a third team.  So we would have 20+ players in one mission.  Recall XP being horrible but it was fun.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 05:54:08 AM »
Least favorite glitch: the occasional minion that would be stuck in a wall somewhere in a mish (usually on a TF).

Favorite glitch: finding stuff like an unused zone behind some walls... war walls in Faultline for example.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 08:43:45 AM »
The glitch where you'd get the first mish of the manticore tf over and over was a lot of fun. I'd always wondered what it would be like to have synapse with crey  ;)

Excidia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 02:06:48 PM »
Not sure if this is considered a glitch or exploit, but since the game is gone it's moot.

Sidekick to friend and run his missions, preferably missions with click glowy to end mish
When all mobs dead and in front of glowy, drop team
Wait 60 seconds
Click glowy and get end of mission XP at +5

If it's a kill all, leave a mob alive somewhere or have high level toon keep it's attention for 60 seconds

I did report this, but it was never fixed.
e-
You don't ever leave someone FOR dead.  You leave them DEAD.

acretion

• Underling
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2015, 08:43:38 PM »
So I don't know if i'm the only one who figured this out, but way back in the early days of the game there was a way you could enter the character creator and pick a male body type and then just let it time out and kick you to the login screen, then when you log back in and go to the character creator you could pick a female body type with the bare chest option.  Needless to say it drew some attention.

I sent them a report detailing it etc., never heard anything in response (wouldn't have minded a thank you heh) and they reset my name and costume, and then it got patched pretty quick, but I had my one day of glory hehe.

Shadows Linger - Repeat Offenders

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 02:46:28 PM »
I just remembered some from a few mission maps where there would be a black wall that looked like it went no where but you could go into it and come out the other side fine.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 12:46:00 AM »
Atlas Park lower level, people walking up and down non-existent stairs into and through walls.  Made the place seem magical.

A friend of mine got a door, right where the then new AE building was.  That explains why they didn't like changing the maps very often.

GenericHero05

• New Efforts # 7,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2015, 02:36:01 PM »
Back in CoH infancy, my Electric/Electric Blaster was being sidekicked and I was in Peregrine Island.  It was pretty late at night and there weren't too many others on at the time.  I was over in the area where the Arena is now located.  The building that is now called the "Exchange Bank of Paragon City" has a brick wall that runs along the left side of the bank, all along the rear, and back up the right side.  There must have been some type of spawning glitch happening because in between that left wall and the bank there were literally at least 100 Rikti of various ranks.  They were so crammed in that they could barely move.  The hero that was sidekicking me told me to stay out of range and he would test them out.  He was beaten several times but the hospital was around the corner so he would come right back an continue on.
If I was a Jedi, there's a 100% chance that I'd use The Force inappropriately.