Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7336289 times)

hurple

• Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #4120 on: July 09, 2014, 06:36:15 PM »
A client for AmigaOS 4.1 would be brilliant! Finally an excuse to buy an AmigaOne X1000.  ;D

Ooooo, can we get a client for the TRS-80?

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #4121 on: July 09, 2014, 06:36:34 PM »
Since they don't have to have individual machines for each server and they are essentially virtual, why not just go with the ones they already had? In fact He wrote a post some time ago that basically stated that a "Servers" activity was actually spread across multiple machines on demand to help balance load

The way Codewalker explained it, it doesn't sound like it adds much if any cost and it makes things much easier to restore character data. No worrying about character names for one thing, heck we might even get SG's back if the go with the original naming scheme.
It's just names. Nobody says the servers couldn't be the same. If we do end up having to do a do-over, though, new names = no confusion about why old data is gone.
There's a Champions Online joke in there that wouldn't be appropriate for young audiences.
If there is, it's entirely unintentional. :)
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Happily Married

• ABSOLUTELY!!!1ONE
  • Minion
« Reply #4122 on: July 09, 2014, 06:39:48 PM »
I don't mind, if people are way off track I pull 'em back. Some folks have said things much better than I could and speculation is just the steam from our Nemesis level excitement escaping.

If you aren't excited by all of this stuff - then why would you be on the Forum? All the signal to noise is just line chatter and it is all good. Unless someone lets the excitement turn to other emotions - anger is a short step, then all the talk is just like getting near your house after a long trip, you just want to sleep in your own bed again.

I see nothing with being optimistic, however I am one to be the skeptic. Am I excited?

ABSOLUTELY!!!1ONE

But I would truly rather be told straight forward than fed sugar coated bull stuff.
@Happily Married
   (aka - Tennessee Bonfire, Capt Mercury, Mister Guardian)

Serpine

• Biting Commentarian
  • Boss
  • Telegram force and ready
« Reply #4123 on: July 09, 2014, 06:41:48 PM »
Ooooo, can we get a client for the TRS-80?
Commodore Vic-20 for life!

And maybe they should consider an Atari 2600 port. Be a reason for me to pull it out of the garage. :)
Guns don't kill people, meerkats do.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4124 on: July 09, 2014, 06:45:36 PM »
I see nothing with being optimistic, however I am one to be the skeptic. Am I excited?

ABSOLUTELY!!!1ONE

But I would truly rather be told straight forward than fed sugar coated bull stuff.

That's good I have a -4 tattoo of tact that I wear. I am about as straightforward as I can be. I have a small smidgen of tact somewhere but I store it in the basement somewhere.

Dinah Might

• Minion
« Reply #4125 on: July 09, 2014, 06:46:34 PM »
Has anyone else been watching "Unity" like crazy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyn_YuMLSNc

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #4126 on: July 09, 2014, 06:46:54 PM »
It's just names. Nobody says the servers couldn't be the same. If we do end up having to do a do-over, though, new names = no confusion about why old data is gone. If there is, it's entirely unintentional. :)

Yeah, if the old data is gone, no reason other than nostalgia to keep the old names. But that's a good enough reason for me.  :D
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Happily Married

• ABSOLUTELY!!!1ONE
  • Minion
« Reply #4127 on: July 09, 2014, 06:53:23 PM »
Yeah, if the old data is gone, no reason other than nostalgia to keep the old names. But that's a good enough reason for me.  :D

Isn't that reason enough for everyone that is watching this forum?
@Happily Married

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4128 on: July 09, 2014, 06:55:22 PM »
Isn't that reason enough for everyone that is watching this forum?

I would think so, but no harm in playing around with it. I think that they will use the old names no matter what.

But there is charm in imagining possibilities.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Happily Married

• ABSOLUTELY!!!1ONE
  • Minion
« Reply #4129 on: July 09, 2014, 06:57:49 PM »
I would think so, but no harm in playing around with it. I think that they will use the old names no matter what.

But there is charm in imagining possibilities.

Well I am going to play on "Null the Gull Nest of the Guardians" Server.
@Happily Married

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4130 on: July 09, 2014, 07:00:04 PM »
That's good I have a -4 tattoo of tact that I wear. I am about as straightforward as I can be. I have a small smidgen of tact somewhere but I store it in the basement somewhere.

Oh god. Me too. I hate the gray areas. Give it to me in black and white.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #4131 on: July 09, 2014, 07:02:27 PM »

Again, wouldn't be simpler just to use the original server names?

I'm not sure that all 16 would come back with the restart.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4132 on: July 09, 2014, 07:03:07 PM »
I prefer the old names. I think everyone who camme back would mostly want to go to their home server given the choice.

But if we get to go home whatever the names are will be wonderful.

Styrj

• Boss
« Reply #4133 on: July 09, 2014, 07:03:11 PM »
My tact went the same way as "political correctness".  Good riddance!
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!  Infinity Server...

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4134 on: July 09, 2014, 07:15:36 PM »
I'm not sure that all 16 would come back with the restart.

I think it will likely depend on whether it is possible to restore character data.

If you can get the data and even if you want to skinny down the list, although there seems no technical or monetary reason to do so, it would still make sense to bring them all back.  Announce a server closing notice for the servers you want to eliminate and let people transfer to a one of the remaining servers.

This doesn't deal with SG's but with the development tools being unavailable these would likely be boned in a server merge. However restoring all the servers might aid in the recovery of bases as well.

But if the data is not recoverable, pick like the top 8 server names via a poll and just use those. Always a good idea to let the community decide when you can to create buy in for change which is usually disliked.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4135 on: July 09, 2014, 07:20:22 PM »
A client for AmigaOS 4.1 would be brilliant! Finally an excuse to buy an AmigaOne X1000.  ;D
MorphOS!

PSI-on

• Ψ
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4136 on: July 09, 2014, 07:24:18 PM »
The way the servers work, the hardware needed for 12 shards isn't much more than that for 1, especially if you virtualize the dbservers like paragon did.

The hardware and investment needed is directly proportional to the number of active players. How many shards to break the game into only really affects player interaction, making it more of a social / management decision rather than a technical one.

So each of the servers where not each their own tower or whatever? I heard each one actually had a back up version of itself to take over if the original went down, so basically each server location may have only had one machine or two behaving like more than one on each coast?
Please don't send blind requests in games to me, I learned to ignore them in CoX, no offense meant. (this is only here until I can figure out how to put it in my actual profile on here.)

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4137 on: July 09, 2014, 07:24:56 PM »
Commodore Vic-20 for life!

And maybe they should consider an Atari 2600 port. Be a reason for me to pull it out of the garage. :)

Bah, you young'uns. I want it for my Apollo Guidance Computer!

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4138 on: July 09, 2014, 07:30:16 PM »
Thank you for keeping us in the loop Ironwolf. You should have a some sort of monument or badge in CoH or CoH2 when we get the game back.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4139 on: July 09, 2014, 07:32:10 PM »
So each of the servers where not each their own tower or whatever? I heard each one actually had a back up version of itself to take over if the original went down, so basically each server location may have only had one machine or two behaving like more than one on each coast?

Not speaking out of knowledge of their system - normally virtual shards like this could be run on say 4 physical servers with the busiest servers on with the quietest. You would have 2 actual server boxes for live and 2 backups that would be mirroring the other. So in case of a glitch you may lose a few minutes effort but not a full day.