Author Topic: If we start with no user data  (Read 105368 times)

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
Re: If we start with no user data
« Reply #420 on: August 25, 2014, 04:32:03 AM »
Starting in 2008 ..snip...it would feel rather awkward.

I got attached my characters. I m just saying that if I didn't have THE name i wanted, it wasn't like it was the end of the world. There were so many variants that there will be one that will work. You just have to use some imagination.

Yes this game will not revert to sunshine and rainbows, but it is our chance to build the fair and balanced Eutopia this game could have easily been with the right guidance. 

No thanks. I don't want someone else's "guidance" to join the sunshine patrol. There is no one right way to play this game. Anyway, whose "guidance" is right?

But I'm not worried about this. I will give you a stealth proc when we get back in game if you can name one commercial MMO where this happened. It has not been that way since UO and I'll bet you (oh wait I did) that it isn't  happening in Wildstar either.

Besides, I think we will get our names back.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

hejtmane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #421 on: August 25, 2014, 01:57:30 PM »
I just had a random thought.

If we do start with no user data, how are you guys going to handle the SO to IO conversion?

We won't really have huge sums of inf. to go purchase all the IO placeholders we normally did (or get them from the vast stores we have in our bases). You won't be able to borrow them from another character you have. No transfer of funds either.

Will you farm on SOs until you have enough for basic IOs and then just work drops for the recipes?
Will you AE farm for tickets or find that one mish you can handle solo and farm there for drops?
Or will your first character be a total farmer so that you can build back up your fortune?

Do you PL and trade that for drops/tickets?

Do you try incarnate stuff before finishing IOing out your character?

This is pretty darn easy first I will build and AOE scrapper that works fine on SO's and I will farm AE for bronze ticket while I level my primary scrapper and fill both in with tons of good sets just off Tickets. I have about 4 scrapper builds already layed out with IO builds. Which will replace some of my old builds that I retired.

Anyways if we get I24 I am thinking spines/Bio is going to be a fun ride for farming and just fun to play IO out

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #422 on: August 25, 2014, 05:19:15 PM »
The more I think about the entire community actually starting from scratch the more excited I get. I miss the days where people accepted one another. The whole clique mentality would be revived instantly if you offered lvl 50's off the bat leaving new players lost and confused and possibly without guidance.

Cliques will be cliques whether they have characters or not. Most of those groups have ways of keeping in touch outside the game, so you'd see supergroups reforming on day 1 and powerleveling each other while rejecting "outsiders".

The only "positive" that a clean wipe would result in is that you'd have less players competing for names. A nonzero number of veterans will pass on a relaunch if it means losing everything, but you won't see anyone deciding not to play because they got their stuff back. Well, maybe that one guy.

hejtmane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #423 on: August 25, 2014, 05:50:54 PM »
That is why I always use obscure names when creating characters and sometimes use old legendary historical names because most people especially young people never heard off.

I would most likely lose one name on the reboot and I really do not care if I get back "Hypnosis". Then again that is just my personality

Shifter

• Boss
« Reply #424 on: August 26, 2014, 12:08:46 PM »
If we have a reboot, then I secretly hope they have just one server up on day one, and then add more as needed later. The epic idea of having all of the old players on a singe server at one time makes me smile. : )
Stone Tank
Freedom Server

Talon Blue

• Minion
« Reply #425 on: August 26, 2014, 01:37:05 PM »
The veteran rewards and costumes are really the only thing I want. I think now after so much time has past I'd personally want to start at lvl 1. If not recovering player data speeds up the return of CoH, I'm for it. The thing is I hope we aren't dicked over on the price, this is an old game and they cannot be charging us for it like it is a new one.

I'm trying not to get hopes up until I know CoH is in fact returning. I just don't want to be disappointed.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #426 on: August 26, 2014, 05:05:30 PM »
I'm more concerned with my character names.  I can play/buy my way back to where I was if I have the names.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #427 on: August 26, 2014, 06:58:25 PM »

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #428 on: August 26, 2014, 07:16:02 PM »
Name theft doesn't really concern me either, Burnt Toast.

But then again, I don't publish my names. lol

I understand the concern over a name. It is an identity, defines you.

I think locked into this discussion must be the worry over whether or not we get our old accounts back.
It would be nice, and it would solve the issue of who gets the name. But I'm not counting on it.

Here's to the team looking to acquire CoX and their success! *glug* *glug*
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #429 on: August 26, 2014, 07:45:33 PM »
Name theft doesn't really concern me either

My very first character I ever made was on my brothers account and it was just me hitting the random button a few times.  I felt Modnar was a good name, but it was taken! 

But I couldn't just leave my stupid looking character sitting there.  My spur of the moment character, needed a spur of the moment name.  And "Name Theft was born.

If anyone ever tried naming their character Name Theft on the justice server, and you couldn't that was me.  Had that name since shortly after the game launched  ;D  So who is going to commit name theft of Name Theft?

Irrelevant post you say?! Certainly.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #430 on: August 26, 2014, 08:12:33 PM »
Taceus Jiwede, you are silly!

Do it again.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #431 on: August 27, 2014, 06:15:44 PM »
Burnt Toast,

I agree with almost everything you said except for your regrettable lack of understanding of how awesome the names i picked for my characters were. I clearly was the NAME WINNER! I forgive your oversight as I am sure you acted in ignorance of my recognized awesomeness in alt-naming. Go forth and sin no more! I magnanimously forgive your slight because of my awesome awesomeness and my general proclivity for amity.

PS. You point is well taken that they may just be awesome to us but that is the only person they need to be awesome to. Like I have said before, if someone uses a name I like/want, I'll come up with another. No big deal.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

AlphaFerret

• Boss
« Reply #432 on: August 27, 2014, 06:49:19 PM »
I'm not worried about losing any of my favorite character names.  I am sure many a PUG was in awe of my creations, and really just wanna pay homage to my awesome super hero abilities.
I would trade all my character names in exchange for the return of our game.

GamingGlen

• Boss
« Reply #433 on: August 27, 2014, 08:02:37 PM »
*gak*

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #434 on: August 28, 2014, 09:06:14 PM »
I don't know, maybe give nobody nothing.
Awww...no one made a joke about the double negative?   This means give everyone something!   8)

Some good ideas here.   I wouldn't mind giving loyal subscribers early access to CoH2.   As Devil pointed out, they are funding it after all.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #435 on: August 28, 2014, 09:26:31 PM »
As I have said before regarding enhancements:

In the paragon market I would like to see ALL the previous enhancements offered at a SERIOUSLY reduced rate (Think 20%) as well as the sale of Alignment Merits at a VERY reasonable price. This will allow for an influx of enhancements in the beginning which will help stimulate the economy. Both the Revival Edition and the Revival Deluxe Edition would award your first 10 toons X amount of reward merits (9,999 seems like a fair number to me) this will allow for players to buy recipes to start the market off as well as their toons.

I feel we need to stimulate the economy and supply as much as possible after the relaunch of CoH1...and think deeply discounted enhancements on the Paragon Market as well as the bonus merits offered to the 2 versions of CoH: Revival ... will greatly increase the supply. There is going to be hyper inflated prices in the beginning no matter what we do... remember when WentWorths opened and so did the costume piece drops? I bought a pair of fairy wings for a friend because she wanted them so bad... I paid... 20 million. Before the announcement of closure came...people deleted those recipes because you couldn't even get 100 inf for them. When CoH1 starts back up...it will definitely be a seller's market, but just wait 3 or 4 months and prices will have stabilized.

The best thing about selling them is that you immediately create a supply to equal a demand.   The rule of market is supply and demand.   If there is more demand than supply, the price goes up.   The further out of balance this is, the higher the price gets.   Your fairy wings situation is a great example of this.   Once the supply exceeded demand, you couldn't give them away.

So immediately satisfying demand can only lower prices by this rule.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #436 on: August 28, 2014, 09:29:10 PM »
Names.   Someone mentioned looking back through theirs and I just did the same thing.   I've got a few I'll want to reuse, but boy do I have some bad ones in there!

I still remember running into a guy with a weird spelling of a name that I had on one of my characters.   We started talking about it and he was loudly complaining that the name was taken.   I didn't have the heart to tell him it was me.    :-\

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #437 on: August 29, 2014, 11:24:59 PM »
The best thing about selling them is that you immediately create a supply to equal a demand.   The rule of market is supply and demand.   If there is more demand than supply, the price goes up.   The further out of balance this is, the higher the price gets.   Your fairy wings situation is a great example of this.   Once the supply exceeded demand, you couldn't give them away.

So immediately satisfying demand can only lower prices by this rule.

Why is this better, in your view. than selling them in the cash store and locking them to account? If you just create supply by stocking the market and allowing the use of Inf to buy them then isn't that price fixing? You are essentially capping all drop values at that price meaning that you will never get more than the dev price for anything.

This is almost bad an idea as selling inf for money. (that one is still worse)

I would have thought by now that people would understand that mucking with price fixing and inflation actually makes the market worse, not better. There were and remain very good reasons the old Devs never did this despite it being requested almost constantly by people who hated or didn't understand how the market worked.

Really, all this is a way for you to get purples as quick as you can if you have to start from scratch without much thought to the long term effects. Just buy them in the cash store (I am sure it will be offered, especially if the data isn't recoverable. I still think we will get it back). It will ultimately repay the new devs quicker and all that without making the market more unstable than it already will be.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Phaetan

• Elite Boss
« Reply #438 on: August 30, 2014, 02:43:17 PM »
Most of my character names, I can cope with losing.

Except "Not a Nemesis Agent."  That one's mine!
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Baja

• Lieutenant
« Reply #439 on: August 30, 2014, 03:25:16 PM »
Burnt Toast,

I agree with almost everything you said except for your regrettable lack of understanding of how awesome the names i picked for my characters were. I clearly was the NAME WINNER! I forgive your oversight as I am sure you acted in ignorance of my recognized awesomeness in alt-naming. Go forth and sin no more! I magnanimously forgive your slight because of my awesome awesomeness and my general proclivity for amity.

PS. You point is well taken that they may just be awesome to us but that is the only person they need to be awesome to. Like I have said before, if someone uses a name I like/want, I'll come up with another. No big deal.

So it's pretty clear some people care way more about names than others. Like I said in a previous post I won't stop playing all together because I didn't get the name I want, I would just PREFER (please notice the capitalized word) to get the one that I've played with for so long. If user data is restored, which I doubt it will due to security issues, I'll have literally no worries at all. If it isn't though I'd really ENJOY the ability to reserve at least ONE name so that I can go spend my countless hours without feeling like I'm missing a huge part of my characters persona. 

Obviously people can play with satirical names, or not care at all what their name is, I'm honestly not one of those people. So alls I'm saying is if there is the capability to offer a name reservation myself and MANY others would be extremely happy.

Considering there was literally a thread that grew to be 500+pages long probably over 1000 dedicated to finding a name that fits their characters. I think it's safe to say a vast portion of the community like having a name that suits their characters abilities/style.

Everyone is so concerned over their names... and personally I think for very little reason....

I will tell you the name I wanted for my main toon back when CoH was alive.... Burnt Reynolds (Get it.. a play on Burt Reynolds)... Anyways... guess what... someone had that name... #$%*$%*#!!!!!! (That's me swearing). Ooooh I know.... Burnt Ward... taken. Burnt Bacharach....taken. Wait for it... Burnt Ernie...taken.. ARE YOU FU****G KIDDING ME!?!?! Yeah that's what I was thinking too.

So while I was logged in the character creation screen and growing ever so hateful of my fellow CoH players who had taken every fricking Burt name and turned it into Burnt... I decided to make me some breakfast.... toast and hot cocoa MMMM. So I have a toaster oven and not a toaster (I like it better than a toaster). Anyways.. I am heating my water for cocoa...throw the bread in toaster oven and it comes to me..... BURNT LANCASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I run to my computer... type it in... BOOOM!!!!!!!!!!! Name taken.. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I sit there for a few minutes... Burnt Burnt Burnt Burnt Burnt... What name can I use with the word Burnt in it.....

Sniff..sniff..sniff.. what's burning... $%#*%#$!!!! my toast!!!!!

And that is how my main character got his name: I Burnt The Toast

That name alone...set the way for every single character I made after that.

Imagine if you didn't have to freak out and had the ability to reserve that name you wanted so badly. That's literally all I'm asking for.  Now obviously there's no way someone can steal a name because that implies ownership, which none of us clearly have. I also doubt some of the names I want will be taken as they are pretty unique. There's no need to get in a big argument over this it's just a request to have name reservation in place if there is no user data provided. You can disagree with how much names should mean to people all day long, but at the end of it like I said alls this comes down to is a request for a welcome back feature.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 07:40:09 PM by Baja »