Author Topic: If we start with no user data  (Read 105222 times)

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: If we start with no user data
« Reply #280 on: July 10, 2014, 08:16:25 PM »
I actually didn't know that. I just used a different character in the same SG to unlock them if I already had them. Mainly, because it was easier to track them as they would appear as you got them and there was less searching for the one you missed because you just didn't have it yet.
That's probably better.   Getting that badge announcement is a nice confirmation you actually stood on the right spot!   :D

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #281 on: July 10, 2014, 08:20:22 PM »
It was better at 1000 when it first came out it was 10k talk about ugh

I know! I can't imagine doing that. If we get the game back, I need to figure out how to get the healing badges for non-healing characters. I know it has something to do with the arena, but no details as it seemed tedious.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

hejtmane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #282 on: July 10, 2014, 08:29:23 PM »
I know! I can't imagine doing that. If we get the game back, I need to figure out how to get the healing badges for non-healing characters. I know it has something to do with the arena, but no details as it seemed tedious.

Well if they do I24 no more interrupt on the heal so that is good

If I remember correctly they do arena fight you and your buddy on one team the other guy against you they hit your buddy you heal him. They use to run heal parties in the arena never joined that is about as much as I remember ( I ran on Pinnacle and I sure they did them on other servers)

Also healing the NPC's in alignment missions when they take damage count fyi
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 08:44:52 PM by hejtmane »

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #283 on: July 10, 2014, 08:41:37 PM »
Well if they do I24 no more interrupt on the heal so that is good

If I remember correctly they do arena fight you and your buddy on one team the other guy against you they hit your buddy you heal him. These use to run heal parties in the arena never joined that is about as much as I remember

Also healing the NPC's in alignment missions when they take damage count fyi

That is the kind badge I would only do once per SG. Getting them unlocks goodies for the base. But I would like to get them at least my main and once for each of the larger SG's I ran. I can dream!
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

DBadger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #284 on: July 10, 2014, 09:35:38 PM »
Just getting the game back would be golden for me.

Some sort of Founders Pack with loads of character slots, boosts, archetypes unlocked etc would be good (imo) As I am happy to support the game and to start from scratch. A lot of the fun was in the not having everything (or is that just me?)

r00tb0ySlim

• Boss
« Reply #285 on: July 10, 2014, 09:50:27 PM »
ALL badges? That I'd be against. But if it were just for time-limited things like anniversaries or holiday events, that I could get behind. Mind you, just the ones that are purely for logging in. If the character has to DO something to get it, it should stay as is.
Not bad...Me like  ;D

Von Krieger

• Evil Emperor of German Chocolate
  • Boss
  • Silly Dragon
    • VK's FurAffinity Page
« Reply #286 on: July 10, 2014, 10:58:02 PM »

The Gladiator pet battles, I do believe. I think the Longbow Warden gladiator acquired from the 1400 PvP rep badge had a hefty heal, and that it counted when the pet fired it off.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #287 on: July 11, 2014, 06:36:49 AM »
The Gladiator pet battles, I do believe. I think the Longbow Warden gladiator acquired from the 1400 PvP rep badge had a hefty heal, and that it counted when the pet fired it off.

Ah...yeah, that would be a problem. No PvP for me. maybe I can set up enough accounts and run them from my PC's and then just do it that way with autopowers.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #288 on: July 11, 2014, 02:36:54 PM »
No PvP for me. maybe I can set up enough accounts and run them from my PC's and then just do it that way with autopowers.

"No PvP" is no problem for this badge. As I recall, I'm pretty sure that's how people did it - leaving their computers on overnight while they were attacked with brawl on auto, or something like that.

Looking back at the original question, it almost feels to me like NCSoft should pay for it - I mean, if someone or a company stopped allowing you to use a physical item, that person or company would have to compensate you for it. I mean, if you bought a tent, and the company that made the tent decided to take it back and not let you use it, you would theoretically be entitled to your money back (in part or in whole). The company couldn't really argue that "you got good use out of it for a while so you don't get money" - they're taking one of your belongings. But digital stuff is weird I guess.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 03:28:26 PM by Felderburg »
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

energizingion

• Minion
« Reply #289 on: July 11, 2014, 05:42:39 PM »
Ah...yeah, that would be a problem. No PvP for me. maybe I can set up enough accounts and run them from my PC's and then just do it that way with autopowers.

Healing badges/farming...

There were always options to doing it...the ones I remember:

* Arena Gladiator pet battles.  Like someone already said, you (yourself) needed the Longbow Ballista 2 (?) pet which did the PBAoE heal which counted for you and as many as the other little pets that you can get.  Then you'd have your friend (or 2nd account) gladiator's pets attack one (or more) of your pets but make sure you set your pets as passive/don't move so that they don't attack back.  The Longbow will just continue to spam his heal and wa-la, you'll get your healing badge (after a long time of course).  I want to say that even a portion of the heal went to the healing badges even if the pets were 100% healthy but I could be wrong about that.

*  Get a few friends/random people who were Fire Controllers (or doms) with the Fire Imps.  Get a map that has lava in it (the one I remember being a part of was the "Save Statesman from Tyrant" in the Peregrine Island "hero's hero" story arc I think.  At the end, there are two pools of lava.  Obviously clear the room/etc, but just have everyone stand in the lava (turning off all accolades/shields, etc...) and summon the imps and other pets.  Set PBAoE heal on auto and that's about it.

*  Similar thing to #2 but really only need 1 other person (or a 2nd account).  Get a mission that has a +4 boss that has a melee attack that does a lot of damage.  Get that boss by himself, get the person that does NOT need the healing badges to go into "Rest".  This will make the person take 99% damage and have the other person just heal him.  It's a bit tricky since you have to make sure you can heal fast enough before the boss takes that next 'big' swing at the target.  The boss I used was a Rikti Swordsmen (?) +4 boss.  He did that one big sword swing attack and brawl and that was it.  By the time he used the big attack, I was fully healed so it worked out.  This also works for a person that wants to get the damage received badges.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #290 on: July 11, 2014, 07:19:17 PM »
Healing badges/farming...

There were always options to doing it...the ones I remember:

* Arena Gladiator pet battles.  Like someone already said, you (yourself) needed the Longbow Ballista 2 (?) pet which did the PBAoE heal which counted for you and as many as the other little pets that you can get.  Then you'd have your friend (or 2nd account) gladiator's pets attack one (or more) of your pets but make sure you set your pets as passive/don't move so that they don't attack back.  The Longbow will just continue to spam his heal and wa-la, you'll get your healing badge (after a long time of course).  I want to say that even a portion of the heal went to the healing badges even if the pets were 100% healthy but I could be wrong about that.

*  Get a few friends/random people who were Fire Controllers (or doms) with the Fire Imps.  Get a map that has lava in it (the one I remember being a part of was the "Save Statesman from Tyrant" in the Peregrine Island "hero's hero" story arc I think.  At the end, there are two pools of lava.  Obviously clear the room/etc, but just have everyone stand in the lava (turning off all accolades/shields, etc...) and summon the imps and other pets.  Set PBAoE heal on auto and that's about it.

*  Similar thing to #2 but really only need 1 other person (or a 2nd account).  Get a mission that has a +4 boss that has a melee attack that does a lot of damage.  Get that boss by himself, get the person that does NOT need the healing badges to go into "Rest".  This will make the person take 99% damage and have the other person just heal him.  It's a bit tricky since you have to make sure you can heal fast enough before the boss takes that next 'big' swing at the target.  The boss I used was a Rikti Swordsmen (?) +4 boss.  He did that one big sword swing attack and brawl and that was it.  By the time he used the big attack, I was fully healed so it worked out.  This also works for a person that wants to get the damage received badges.

I'm gonna save this text for when we get the game back. I have many bases and only two with the healing badge reward. Must gets!
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Mageman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #291 on: July 11, 2014, 09:22:54 PM »
I must admit, that there were times I liked enjoyed having some things that others didn't. Like Prestige Power Slide from the CoH Collector's Edition (I think it was the first box that had CoH on one DVD instead of several CDs). Even though I had all the other "Run" powers from the Vet Rewards (I didn't pre-order CoH, so I didn't have them), I hardly ever claimed them. Standard Run I would slot with one -End, and Prestige Power Slide I would slot with one +Run, so I was covered whichever I chose.

Would I come back to CoX without my characters? YES!
Would I come back to CoX without my account data? YES!

However, that being said, without at least my Account Data, I wouldn't enjoy the game as much. I'm at the point in my life where I'm not going to just "Throw Money" at the new buyers to repurchase everything I already had. I would blame NCSoft for this problem, but I would probably place some of the blame on the new owners for not getting it (or getting it and not using it). I think it should be semi-easy to get the account data from NCSoft:

Personally, I don't see how the loss of the account data something insurmountable. It should be easy,
  • have NCSoft make a backup of the account data, then edit it as follows:
  • Ensure that each account is given a unique and random identification (ID), preferably something like a CD Key (like: WI8WT-B32X9-JYULM-VGM81-1UYVB)
  • Purge any account data that has any Personal Information (names, addresses, credit card numbers, etc.)
  • Purge any information not related to CoX
What you're left with is the account ID, and all the CoX information (Characters on which servers, and all purchases, vet rewards, etc.). Then allow people to log into their NCSoft accounts, and get that unique ID. Create an account with the new owners of CoX, and enter that ID and it will transfer your old NCSoft information to your new account, and you have to enter your own Personal Information. If there is any problems (like "Someone stole my account!") the new owners can point at NCSoft and say that the problem is on their end, we had nothing to do with it.

P.S. When CoV came out, my friends and I played villains on Virtue (we enjoyed the pun), and mostly heroes on Victory. When Going Rogue came out, we dropped off of Virtue and played almost exclusively on Victory. And as far as the loss of CoX affecting the sales of GW2, I know of 2 copies of GW2 that didn't get bought because it had NCSoft on the box sometime after CoX shutdown was announced.

So, not at least getting my account information back would reduce the amount of "throw money" at the new owners. And allowing people to get some of the exclusive items I had (and spent good money on a long time ago) for minimal cost would be a turn-off to CoX for me. I am special, and I felt special when at level 1 I had Prestige Power Slide and very few others did.
My Reality:
#1 I love my wife!
#2 I miss CoX!
#3 Refer to rule #1!
#4 I seem to have an itch!

Ouul

• Minion
« Reply #292 on: July 12, 2014, 08:11:58 AM »
One other thing I thought of as an additional perk for being a VIP subscriber: The return of levelling pacts! Assuming that they have the tech/tools to actually make this work, these will work as they did back in days of yore, and if one account goes back to premium, it will no longer receive the benefits of the shared XP, and the still paying subscriber will level at normal XP gain. If the non-subscriber realises how AWESOME it is to be a VIP, when they resubscribe, the existing subscriber will not gain XP while playing alone or together, with all remains being sent to the one left behind until they are back at parity, and the usual Levelling Pact mechanics will kick in once again!

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #293 on: July 12, 2014, 02:35:29 PM »
Two things:

1. Account Data is more likely not available for legal reasons, not technical ones. NCSoft is a multinational corporation and this game was available in multiple countries. Retention and sale of personal and financial data varies from one jurisdiction to another. It might be legal in one but not another. It is likely, that NCSoft is erring on the side of caution to avoid legal entanglements. Ironwolf has stated on a number of occasions that account data is very unlikely.

2. The CoH engine is a custom engine built on propriety code developed over time by various coders. Some didn't document the code very well. It wasn't even written all in one language as various modules could be written in different code and compiled. It is unique, even the team at Cryptic who originally wrote it would have a hard time reading the source code, which is apparently missing. According to Iron Wolf all that may be available is a snapshot of the game at I24

To develop and expand the content and systems a custom set of tools was written. This set is apparently missing at this time. This means that anything that requires changes to the code or mechanics is very unlikely in the near term. So new powers, new perks, disentangled versions of PvP, changes to the badge system, new content are probably not going to happen upon relaunch. They may not happen at all if the new Dev team is tasked with port to a new engine or CoH2.

So try and work within the frame work of what was in I24. Things that require untangling of code and working tools that have to be written from scratch are unfeasible, if not near impossible. Bundles of store items? Possible, since the store was ran by a third party and sale of them was coded into the game and was something that was already available. Bundles of IO's? Doable.

50 level up tokens (as an example)? There was no power or ability to do this I24 available for sale or to players. Remember level bumps on the Beta were handled by GM's and were done essentially by hand. I think something like this sounds awesome but may not be possible.

It is likely that the buyers are reading these threads and even though they can't comment on anything due to NDA's if what we request is reasonable and doable, they are far more likely to take it seriously than to dismiss. Also, while they might LIKE some of the ideas they may not be able to do them.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Mageman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #294 on: July 12, 2014, 04:35:16 PM »
1. Account Data is more likely not available for legal reasons, not technical ones. NCSoft is a multinational corporation and this game was available in multiple countries. Retention and sale of personal and financial data varies from one jurisdiction to another. It might be legal in one but not another. It is likely, that NCSoft is erring on the side of caution to avoid legal entanglements. Ironwolf has stated on a number of occasions that account data is very unlikely.

Obviously, you didn't read my post. NCSoft gives the new owners a unique code to identify each account and what it has purchased. They will remove any information which they don't want to (or legally can't) give the new owners. You (the player) will have to get the code from NCSoft, and when you create your new account with the new owners, you will give the new owners this unique code and they will then import all your stuff. It is the responsibility of NCSoft to verify who is who before giving out this code.

It's a great solution to the problem. NCSoft will look good since it is trying to ensure everyone is getting back what they purchased, and will make the new owners look good since they are trying to ensure that you don't lose anything from the sale. It's called a Win-Win scenario!
My Reality:
#1 I love my wife!
#2 I miss CoX!
#3 Refer to rule #1!
#4 I seem to have an itch!

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #295 on: July 12, 2014, 07:34:22 PM »
They won't care how helpful it would be and nice for players (who aren't paying them anything) if it means avoiding potential legal entanglements. So I still think it unlikely for the reasons I stated and also because Iron Wolf has said that is very unlikely that we could get account data back.

It could probably be done if the buyers agreed to indemnify the NCSoft against any potential lawsuits arising from it, but they would be fools to agree to it. An open ended guarantee involving potential multiple jurisdictions and international law? There is nothing in the data worth the potential risk.

But hey, they are reading the threads, maybe they will love your idea. Maybe their CFO and Legal Counsel are tripping balls and are huge gamblers and feel like rolling the dice that someone, somewhere won't sure somebody. I wouldn't, but to each his own.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Taliseian

• Minion
« Reply #296 on: July 13, 2014, 06:35:59 AM »
Personally, with eight years of data - multiple alts, tonnes of influence, lots of IOs (no Hami), many hundreds of badges between them all......

....just to play again, I would gladly start all over from zero.

T

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #297 on: July 13, 2014, 08:46:48 AM »
Easiest way was to get the Healing Destiny power and stand in Mercy Island in the southernmost Arachnos base where a ton of troops are lined up.  Set the power on auto and wait a few hours while you make lunch or something.  Each casting did thousands of points of healing.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #298 on: July 13, 2014, 09:02:49 AM »
Easiest way was to get the Healing Destiny power and stand in Mercy Island in the southernmost Arachnos base where a ton of troops are lined up.  Set the power on auto and wait a few hours while you make lunch or something.  Each casting did thousands of points of healing.

Got something like that for blue side? If I unlock it red side will it transfer blue? I kinda doubt it since you need to be in SG mode when the badge is rewarded.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #299 on: July 13, 2014, 09:10:38 AM »
Well, if you are actively in pursuit of Empath on a non-healer I assumed it would be a Badging character.  As such, you'd have to switch sides to get all the badges anyway, so I just did it on one of my jaunts through the Rogue Isles.

What does SG Mode have to do with Empath?