Author Topic: If we start with no user data  (Read 105363 times)

Ouul

• Minion
Re: If we start with no user data
« Reply #180 on: July 08, 2014, 03:59:19 PM »
I have been giving considerable thought to this topic, and have bounced some ideas off other former players as far as the return goes.

These ideas are acting under the assumption that character/account data will not be available, and our new Freedom Phalanx secure a launchable version of i24, with all the trimming leading up to it (The Paragon Market and all related systems).

Bear in mind that no matter how noble it may seem, bargaining for customer's account and character data is essentially one company SELLING PERSONAL INFORMATION to a third party. I would be flabbergasted if it all goes through that way.

NONETHELESS! When (if) the game is revived from these efforts, whether or not they are to continue development on the current incarnation, or begin development on a "CoH II" a hybrid Free-to-Play/subscription model should be kept in place. This will become clear as I detail the rest.

Upon launch, MUCH FANFARE! EVENTS! FUN! CITY OF HEROES IS BACK WOOOOOOO!!

Free to play will remain as is, as will the perks associated with Premium Accounts of yore. Subscription model will follow 14.99/month with discounts for bulk purchasing (buy more time and SAVE!) but instead of the 400 Paragon Points (hereafter known as PP), supply 800PP with each recurring month subscription. This will encourage people to subscribe, while also allowing people to pick up on the backlog of shinies or gather other perks.

Now I hear you say: "But Ouul? What about all my STUFF!?!"

Now, again acting under the assumption that it is gone, poof, out to pasture, it would be of great disservice to our long term veterans to have them start again from ABSOLUTE scratch, so I propose bundles and packs at a reasonable price to assist! These packs should encourage early adoption, and be available for only a short time after the re-launch (60-90 days) and then again during event weekends and as special promotions.

VETERANS PACK: $49.99 - Return to Paragon City and the Rogue Isles in style! This pack will bestow upon you enough Veteran Rewards Tokens to pin your way to the top! This will allow you to unlock all veterans rewards, plus the limited time costumes at the top tier!

BOOSTER PACK BUNDLE!: 49.99 - INCREDIBLE VALUE! This pack includes all the booster packs released, from the 5 origin packs through Valentine's, Pocket D VIP, Wedding, Mac Edition, Going Rogue Bonus Items, Origins, Steampunk, Party, and Animal Pack!

DELUXE EDITION BUNDLE: 9.99 - This pack includes the items from the CoH AND CoV deluxe collector's editions

And to help with levelling one's characters back to their prime:

CHARACTER BOOST BUNDLE: 4.99 each - This will come with XP Boosters, Team/Dual inspirations, and a 30 day temporary JetPack

Once again, this is just speculation and brainspewing to provide some ideas to go off. What do people think?

Fridgy Daiere

« Reply #181 on: July 08, 2014, 04:08:08 PM »
Your ideas are well-thought-out, your time frames are acceptable (I'd lean toward the 90 day mark, though, to ensure that EVERYONE has a chance to hear the news), and your prices are doable.  Bravo!

Myrmydon

• Minion
« Reply #182 on: July 08, 2014, 04:32:55 PM »
I have been giving considerable thought to this topic, and have bounced some ideas off other former players as far as the return goes.

These ideas are acting under the assumption that character/account data will not be available, and our new Freedom Phalanx secure a launchable version of i24, with all the trimming leading up to it (The Paragon Market and all related systems).

Bear in mind that no matter how noble it may seem, bargaining for customer's account and character data is essentially one company SELLING PERSONAL INFORMATION to a third party. I would be flabbergasted if it all goes through that way.

NONETHELESS! When (if) the game is revived from these efforts, whether or not they are to continue development on the current incarnation, or begin development on a "CoH II" a hybrid Free-to-Play/subscription model should be kept in place. This will become clear as I detail the rest.

Free to play will remain as is, as will the perks associated with Premium Accounts of yore. Subscription model will follow 14.99/month with discounts for bulk purchasing (buy more time and SAVE!) but instead of the 400 Paragon Points (hereafter known as PP), supply 800PP with each recurring month subscription. This will encourage people to subscribe, while also allowing people to pick up on the backlog of shinies or gather other perks.

Now, again acting under the assumption that it is gone, poof, out to pasture, it would be of great disservice to our long term veterans to have them start again from ABSOLUTE scratch, so I propose bundles and packs at a reasonable price to assist! These packs should encourage early adoption, and be available for only a short time after the re-launch (60-90 days) and then again during event weekends and as special promotions.

VETERANS PACK: $49.99 - Return to Paragon City and the Rogue Isles in style! This pack will bestow upon you enough Veteran Rewards Tokens to pin your way to the top! This will allow you to unlock all veterans rewards, plus the limited time costumes at the top tier!

BOOSTER PACK BUNDLE!: 49.99 - INCREDIBLE VALUE! This pack includes all the booster packs released, from the 5 origin packs through Valentine's, Pocket D VIP, Wedding, Mac Edition, Going Rogue Bonus Items, Origins, Steampunk, Party, and Animal Pack!

DELUXE EDITION BUNDLE: 9.99 - This pack includes the items from the CoH AND CoV deluxe collector's editions

CHARACTER BOOST BUNDLE: 4.99 each - This will come with XP Boosters, Team/Dual inspirations, and a 30 day temporary JetPack

Once again, this is just speculation and brainspewing to provide some ideas to go off. What do people think?

If something like this was to occur, I would buy all of it one Day One, play with store-bought IOs as I level up again and never look back.

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #183 on: July 08, 2014, 04:34:42 PM »

Excellent suggestion.
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
« Reply #184 on: July 08, 2014, 04:52:51 PM »
Excellent suggestion.

Yes a very very very good idea.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #185 on: July 08, 2014, 05:12:00 PM »
That is a pretty good idea! I would also suggest letting it run for 90 days. I had three accounts in this that need all that stuff so it might take time. It's priced fairly, but it's still 110 dollars and some budgets are tight!

But yes, this could work nicely. The only thing, what about slots? I had one server maxed out on two accounts. That was like 72 slots I need.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #186 on: July 08, 2014, 05:54:02 PM »
Great idea there Ouul! Way better than mine was, hehe  ;D

One thing I might throw in there, is I'd like to see costume sets and powersets discounted or put into bundles too, even if only for that introductory period. Pick, say, any 4 full costume sets for $9.99; or any 5 powersets for $19.99. Just an example pricing, of course. That helps vets get back to where they were a little faster, and lets them prioritize which options they want first, while still providing revenue to the new studio.

But yeah, I like it! I could live with a plan like that for sure.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #187 on: July 08, 2014, 06:08:38 PM »
Then the obvious answer is wrong. The people who wrote the extractor have said on more than one occasion that these files are not useful for a relaunch. they were meant to be used on private servers.

I give Guy credit for being able to do almost ANYTHING that would serve our community.

K26dp

• Underling
« Reply #188 on: July 08, 2014, 06:18:30 PM »

This is well thought-out, and I'm sure it would appeal to the prospective investors as a way to quickly start re-couping their money.

That said, the thought of re-paying for intangible things that I had already bought makes me want to throw up just a bit. Yes, I understand, under new management and all that. I understand that intellectually. It doesn't matter to me psychologically.

But I would simply subscribe and start all over again rather than re-buy stuff I had already bought. I wouldn't begrudge others though.

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #189 on: July 08, 2014, 07:20:10 PM »

I would also go for 90 days.  Well thought out.  Bravo!

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #190 on: July 08, 2014, 07:24:44 PM »
Access to I24 without old characters, a store, or vet rewards would still draw money out of my pocket to be able to fly again.

Starting over with all of those years of active experience on the game at its height at close would open up new avenues to explore that I might not have considered the first time around.

I've noticed some B.O.S.S. folks here. I was a member for about a year, but then went on to another (east coast) server and started a low-pressure group of my own. Do you feel like leading again?

Relitner

• Boss
  • ree-LITE-ner
« Reply #191 on: July 08, 2014, 07:27:01 PM »

Well done!
in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti amen

hejtmane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #192 on: July 08, 2014, 08:37:49 PM »
I like to add everyone should get Ninja run by default  ;D

Dinah Might

• Minion
« Reply #193 on: July 08, 2014, 08:48:42 PM »
I've noticed some B.O.S.S. folks here. I was a member for about a year, but then went on to another (east coast) server and started a low-pressure group of my own. Do you feel like leading again?
The Bureau of Occult and Scientific Studies must live again!  I'm here to help!

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #194 on: July 08, 2014, 08:49:53 PM »
Only thing I would add is a "slot Bundle"

30 Character Slot Bundle: $29.95 Cursed by crippling Alt-itis? Can't read an article about a cold sore outbreak and not think "Wow! That's a great idea for a character!"? We got you covered with a 30 pack of character slot tokens that will allow you to recreate derivative man as many times as you please!
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #195 on: July 08, 2014, 08:54:22 PM »
Or for the low low price of $49.95, get the ULTIMATE package... 300 character slots!

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #196 on: July 08, 2014, 08:57:01 PM »
Codewalker, that is just MEAN  **counting $$$**
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

Biz

• Boss
« Reply #197 on: July 08, 2014, 08:58:57 PM »
Or for the low low price of $49.95, get the ULTIMATE package... 300 character slots!

I think a few altaholics just "J"ed in their "P"s

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #198 on: July 08, 2014, 09:29:14 PM »

Ok! Wrap it up! I'll take one for each account!
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #199 on: July 08, 2014, 09:33:24 PM »
Ok! Wrap it up! I'll take one for each account!

In the words of the prophet, "Shut up and take my money!"