Author Topic: If we start with no user data  (Read 105218 times)

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
Re: If we start with no user data
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2014, 04:38:24 AM »
I am confortable with the idea of starting over from level one.  I'd just see it as an opportunity for a fresh start.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2014, 04:49:35 AM »
YES, I would I like my old account back. I have my old login info.

NO, it's not a deal breaker if I can't.

YES, I will want the old game back with as many of it's bells and whistles as possible.

YES, I will play if it's not possible.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2014, 05:33:30 AM »
There's a game I won't mention the name of.  I had every skill maxed out but two and I was working on those.  I had a huge supply of raw materials, a thriving business, almost 12 million in cash... I decided to leave because the game was overrun with griefers and GM's wouldn't do anything.  I gave it all away to a friend.  I came back at some point and thought I'd give it another shot.  My character was gone and of course my friend had already left and all their goods disappeared with them.  It was heartbreaking.  I put on a grim face, gave a little nod and said, "I did it once.  I can do it again."

I'd rather not start from scratch, but I can and I will.  And I'll pay for it gladly.  Because I'll be home.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2014, 05:40:07 AM »
Now it was lot of work lot of years lot of characters but really after this time length even wit hthe old ones I probably wouldnt know how to play them as I used to, remember how or when I got many of the badges. Even if all data returned I probably end up re-rolling some and doing it all over again. But then again, I understand the crowd that if possible, IF possible, to have their stuff back because many may have put more sentiment and or time and money into their accounts than I did. Thus if it was somehow possible to give it all back, IF it was somehow possible, NOT in any way demanding "Give it all back or else nor saying anyone else said such a thing", but if possible it would be nice to have even though me personally would start over anyways. But if not, hey sometimes one must work with what they have at the time.

This is one of those few times there is not the slightest need to read between the lines or look for insinuations or add stuff to what I say or try and guess (usually wrongly) what I mean.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2014, 06:53:35 AM »
Character data needs to happen. Even if account purchase data is lost, character data could be tied back to login names and authentication hashes if you remember the password.

Otherwise, it's not really COH. Paragon City is not just the buildings and the Hellions, it's the combined total of what everyone who has ever played created and added to the common story. I've always said that my characters are still there, doing what they did before, and will continue doing so whether I have contact with them or not.

If a buyout is successful and everything is put back just so to pick up where we left off, then that will be the 'official' server. If it is not and NCsoft manages to put the final nail in the coffin of COH by selling pieces of an incomplete game, then when a community server pops up capable of continuing the story, whether by manually authenticated imports, or activation of project ultra sentinel, that will be the official server.

Sure, I might still subscribe and say hi to people from time to time. But it would never be home.

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #105 on: July 07, 2014, 07:23:15 AM »
I honestly don't think you and I could disagree more on this, Codewalker.  For me it was never about the individual characters or the gear and level anyone had, but rather about the world, the enemies, and most importantly my fellow players.  Yes, there were fixture characters that you loved to team with for Trials, and AP lurkers who gave each server a certain vibe and familiarity, but if they all disappeared and got replaced with a different dude in tights, as long ad some of the other players are back, it'd still feel like hone to me.

After all, I did love crafting new characters.  Maybe this go round I would actually have a main who I always wanna play, but I don't think he'd be more "main" than Pointsphere ever was.  He was my Badger, and I loved him, but ultimately I loved a lot of my other characters too, I just didn't have the earliest Anniversary badges and such on those.

It was badging more than anything else that connected me to Point.  And I really don't see myself badging as much this time through since, well, I already did so much of it!

Serpine

• Biting Commentarian
  • Boss
  • Telegram force and ready
« Reply #106 on: July 07, 2014, 07:39:35 AM »
For me it was never about the individual characters or the gear and level anyone had, but rather about the world, the enemies, and most importantly my fellow players.
I can't agree with this statement enough, especially the last aspect. Character data is irrelevant to me one way or the other: What made City the game I enjoyed were having the tools to mess with and the people I hung out with. Anything else is just gravy.
Guns don't kill people, meerkats do.

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #107 on: July 07, 2014, 07:41:51 AM »
Character data needs to happen. Even if account purchase data is lost, character data could be tied back to login names and authentication hashes if you remember the password.

Otherwise, it's not really COH. Paragon City is not just the buildings and the Hellions, it's the combined total of what everyone who has ever played created and added to the common story. I've always said that my characters are still there, doing what they did before, and will continue doing so whether I have contact with them or not.

If a buyout is successful and everything is put back just so to pick up where we left off, then that will be the 'official' server. If it is not and NCsoft manages to put the final nail in the coffin of COH by selling pieces of an incomplete game, then when a community server pops up capable of continuing the story, whether by manually authenticated imports, or activation of project ultra sentinel, that will be the official server.

Sure, I might still subscribe and say hi to people from time to time. But it would never be home.

If a working private server comes along I am *so* there...  Not that I wouldn't play a revived CoX, I would in a heartbeat.  But we lost the city once and we could lose it again.  I want the security of my own server so I can solo if nothing else.

Go SCoRE.  8)

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #108 on: July 07, 2014, 07:43:23 AM »
Hell, the game didn't even care about level with SSK in there!  No game gives the level of freedom CoH did with regard to team building.

Harlequin565

• Lieutenant
    • Shuttercount - A Photography site...
« Reply #109 on: July 07, 2014, 11:48:01 AM »

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #110 on: July 07, 2014, 12:01:40 PM »
Someone else mentioned that in the New Efforts thread yesterday. Easy to miss with the way that thread has been zooming by lately though, hehe!

Tried this out and managed to get most of the old costumes to load up in Icon.  Some old ones failed to make it, probably because their paths have changed.  Since they'd still work in-game I'm sure the parts must be in there somewhere.  But at least I have shapes and something for everyone and I can use that as a basis to rebuild the rest with a little patience.

Thank you!

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #111 on: July 07, 2014, 01:02:29 PM »
But at least I have shapes and something for everyone and I can use that as a basis to rebuild the rest with a little patience.

Yeah, it's easier to fix a few problems than start the whole outfit over from scratch. Especially if you've got a lot of them to work on. Glad it helped!

Anima

• Underling
« Reply #112 on: July 07, 2014, 02:35:17 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, I'd say that starting over from level 1 would be interesting and perfectly acceptable for a game we all thought would never come back. When it comes to veteran rewards, as well as unlockable AT's, I'd say throw those in as a pack on the market for like $5ea. (1 pack for vet rewards, 1 for classes), or thereabouts. I for one wouldn't mind throwing some money at the folks who have managed to resurrect my favorite game from the ashes of its torturous demise;  most especially if those funds will be used to upgrade COH to COH2 in a new engine. I've been hoping for that since well before the game was nuked.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #113 on: July 07, 2014, 02:52:37 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, I'd say that starting over from level 1 would be interesting and perfectly acceptable for a game we all thought would never come back.

I for one wouldn't mind throwing some money at the folks who have managed to resurrect my favorite game from the ashes of its torturous demise;  most especially if those funds will be used to upgrade COH to COH2 in a new engine. I've been hoping for that since well before the game was nuked.

True and True.

Right now, we have nothing.

We will have to pay something to run the game again.

This may mean a virtual box, a sub and maybe a market place again...

But I'd be happy starting at L1.  It would take me back to pre: ED.  Back when DOs and SOs were a big deal for me...

Anything else is a bonus.

I just want to play again.

Azrael.

McNum

• Underling
« Reply #114 on: July 07, 2014, 03:30:48 PM »
If City of Heroes actually returns, but the user data is lost... I rebuild. It may take a long time, and there'll be several of the old characters that probably won't be revived, but yeah. I rebuild. With the knowledge that I've already done it, I can go at a leisurely pace and enjoy the scenery. I mean, why rush? I've been there already.

I might respec a few of them, anyway. Some power combinations didn't exist when they were made. By I24, they do.

Fridgy Daiere

« Reply #115 on: July 07, 2014, 03:33:08 PM »
/threadjack

Triplash, I got your sig stuck in my head and was singing it this morning as Hubby got dressed for work.  He is now threatening to divorce me on the grounds that his wife has gone completely 'round the bend.  And the fact that I do not emulate Iron Man.
Thanks for the laughs!

/end threadjack

Dinah Might

• Minion
« Reply #116 on: July 07, 2014, 03:36:51 PM »
I would be happy just to have the game back.  (Even if it was only Atlas Park and all we did was hang around and talk).

The best part of this game was the journey, and I would love the chance to take the journey again.

Peerless Girl

• Minion
« Reply #117 on: July 07, 2014, 03:58:52 PM »

I couldn't be more further away from this viewpoint. For me it was the game, the players and friends I made, the people I knew, the people standing under atlas, the look and feel of my character, the ability to fly over Atlas and feel at home..all of that was City to me. I could care less about being level 50, about my numerous high-end IOs, stringing every last bit of performance out of my Inv/SS tank, while fun, wasn't the essence of who she was, she was the people she knew and interacted with. No, character data does *not* have to happen. I'd go so far as to say it probably *should not* happen. That's pretty much my take on it, and it won't change.

Anima

• Underling
« Reply #118 on: July 07, 2014, 04:27:59 PM »
I couldn't be more further away from this viewpoint. For me it was the game, the players and friends I made, the people I knew, the people standing under atlas, the look and feel of my character, the ability to fly over Atlas and feel at home..all of that was City to me. I could care less about being level 50, about my numerous high-end IOs, stringing every last bit of performance out of my Inv/SS tank, while fun, wasn't the essence of who she was, she was the people she knew and interacted with. No, character data does *not* have to happen. I'd go so far as to say it probably *should not* happen. That's pretty much my take on it, and it won't change.
This. All the characters I have made could be recreated with a little effort (and hell the effort was part of the fun in the first place), it is the group of people I played the game with that made the game what it was, and I hope it is again.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #119 on: July 07, 2014, 05:22:31 PM »
Thanks for the laughs!

You're very welcome! I'm always happy to spread some laughs around  ;D

In fact... I probably shouldn't do this, but...

Spoiler for Hidden:
Ice Ice Blaster... dun dun dun dunununuh
Ice Ice Blaster... dun dun dun dunununuh

Stop! Refrigerate and listen,
Ice is back with a brand new mission.
Chilblain grabs a hold of you tightly,
Frozen like an iceberg daily and nightly.

Will it ever melt, yo? I don't know.
Mez resist the hold, you're still slowed.
Chilling Embrace rocks the beasts and the vandals,
Bitter Freeze Ray turns 'em into ice candles.

Dun dun dun dunununuh
Dun dun dun dunununuh