Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7325009 times)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #22200 on: January 24, 2016, 01:34:38 AM »
I always considered defense to be more important.  Please forum guru's feel free to correct me if I am wrong.  But defense always rolled first.  And it rolled to see if the attack even would bypass your defense level's.  If it did then it would roll and see how much of the damage is resisted, if any.  I just always considered the first roll to be more important.  On tank character's though I always had high resistance's too though.  Because you are taking so much damage it is inevitable that your defense will be bypassed.

Again if this isn't accurate feel free to correct me.

Order doesn't matter.  The game engine doesn't do this because it is computationally inefficient, but it *could* first calculate what the damage of the attack would be if it hit accounting for resistances, and then roll the to hit roll to see if that reduced damage lands**.  In that case, resistance would "go first" so to speak but it would not change the net effect of resistance.  The order of operation is commutable in theory.  It isn't done that way in practice because obviously if the attack misses then the game engine did a lot of calculations about what the attack would have done for nothing.  If the game engine could have done it in either order and generate the same game, the order doesn't actually matter except to the programmers trying to be efficient with how they spend CPU cycles.

** In effect, instead of determining if an attack hits or not, tohit and defense would become analogous to a saving throw to avoid an attack's effects.

Soul Resonance

• Boss
« Reply #22201 on: January 24, 2016, 01:41:53 AM »
To recap: you didn't know who Arcana was, as a self-confessed numbers hobbyist, in a CoH-related forum, in a thread were darn near every other post is a numbers post by Arcana.  There's nothing wrong with that at all but as I said I was a "little surprised" of that being the case and asked "If you don't mind my asking, do you have any experience with CoH?" 

And *that* makes you angry and is considered an insult?  As you admitted in the next post there actually are a couple of CoT developers who never played CoH.  You honestly do not see how that could have possibly have been a valid question?  And I'm at a complete loss of how a question specifically for you somehow become an insult to "people [you're] close to"? 

I'll offer this, no insult was intended.  But I won't offer up an apology for imagined slights.
I sure hope those who never played CoH pre-shutdown will be behind the content/powers. Sorry, no offense, but you will not capture what makes CoH, CoH. IP sell and all, with someone behind the wheel who has never touched the game before :/
50's: Necro/Dark, Fire x3 Dom, Plant/Savage Dom, Ice/Time Blaster, Arch/TA Blaster, SS/Elec Brute, Rad/Rad Def.

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22202 on: January 24, 2016, 03:22:36 AM »
I sure hope those who never played CoH pre-shutdown will be behind the content/powers. Sorry, no offense, but you will not capture what makes CoH, CoH. IP sell and all, with someone behind the wheel who has never touched the game before :/

Just remember, though, that it would be very possible to have someone making many design decisions that affect how closely CoT replicates CoH, and who has CoH experience... and who depends on someone without any CoH experience to crunch numbers. After all, it does not take any CoH experience to calculate attack chains, endurance expenditures, etc, to determine damage output for a set. Or damage mitigation for a defensive set (assuming a basic defensive set that doesn't use mezzing). What it does take, however, is a strong ability to crunch numbers.

THEN, you have to have someone with experience judge those numbers and decide how relevant they are, based on AoE sizes, likely team buffs to recharge or recovery, etc, and say whether a set is really weak or really strong. Number crunching is not everything. But if you're going to combine several talents, there are some sections where prior CoH experience is not necessary in order to properly fill the required skill set.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22203 on: January 24, 2016, 03:23:00 AM »
In avelworldcreator's defense.  I played CoH from launch to shut down.  And I didn't know who Arcana was.  Not at least until this forum.  I actually have one of her build's from the old Forum's that I used and it was very good.  But I didn't know who she was.  While that doesn't change my trust in her experience and numbers it does show you can play the game without knowing who she is.  On that note

Order doesn't matter.  The game engine doesn't do this because it is computationally inefficient, but it *could* first calculate what the damage of the attack would be if it hit accounting for resistances, and then roll the to hit roll to see if that reduced damage lands**.  In that case, resistance would "go first" so to speak but it would not change the net effect of resistance.  The order of operation is commutable in theory.  It isn't done that way in practice because obviously if the attack misses then the game engine did a lot of calculations about what the attack would have done for nothing.  If the game engine could have done it in either order and generate the same game, the order doesn't actually matter except to the programmers trying to be efficient with how they spend CPU cycles.

** In effect, instead of determining if an attack hits or not, tohit and defense would become analogous to a saving throw to avoid an attack's effects.

Thanks for clearing that up.  I guess I took the "idea" behind it a little too literally. I am guessing this is pretty common in MMO's then.  I have noticed most in MMO's if you roll a Tank, defense is usually more important then resistance.  I have always loved making builds but I never really knew the nuts and bolts behind everything.  Just the basic concept of it all.

Soul Resonance

• Boss
« Reply #22204 on: January 24, 2016, 03:32:42 AM »
Just remember, though, that it would be very possible to have someone making many design decisions that affect how closely CoT replicates CoH, and who has CoH experience... and who depends on someone without any CoH experience to crunch numbers. After all, it does not take any CoH experience to calculate attack chains, endurance expenditures, etc, to determine damage output for a set. Or damage mitigation for a defensive set (assuming a basic defensive set that doesn't use mezzing). What it does take, however, is a strong ability to crunch numbers.

THEN, you have to have someone with experience judge those numbers and decide how relevant they are, based on AoE sizes, likely team buffs to recharge or recovery, etc, and say whether a set is really weak or really strong. Number crunching is not everything. But if you're going to combine several talents, there are some sections where prior CoH experience is not necessary in order to properly fill the required skill set.
Oh that's very true, I'm speaking from a aesthetic standpoint of the look and feel of CoH. I'm hoping with the IP sell that any and all worries of such will be negated, as I'm very much in support of this game as my 2nd(CO is a nice 3rd though, as VO is a bit redundant, and as such has no place in my roster).
50's: Necro/Dark, Fire x3 Dom, Plant/Savage Dom, Ice/Time Blaster, Arch/TA Blaster, SS/Elec Brute, Rad/Rad Def.

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22205 on: January 24, 2016, 03:53:46 AM »
stupid quote/edit buttons
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22206 on: January 24, 2016, 04:52:48 AM »
So.... who's snowed in right now? It's cold where I'm at just dropped to 59 degrees >:D *Rubs Salt*

Ulysses Dare

• Boss
« Reply #22207 on: January 24, 2016, 04:55:24 AM »
So.... who's snowed in right now? It's cold where I'm at just dropped to 59 degrees >:D *Rubs Salt*

Eh, I technically am. But given how rarely that happens, and that it'll probably be mostly gone after tomorrow, I can't really complain.

umber

• Boss
    • My CoH Characters
« Reply #22208 on: January 24, 2016, 05:08:20 AM »

My phone says its 66 degrees at Key West, at midnight.  My phone also says I'm nowhere near Key West <grr!>

13 inches of snow here, not quite as bad as the 18 inches or so that landed on Washington DC a bit to the east.  Spent most of the day clearing the driveway which seemed to possess much more square footage than I remember from warm days...

Also found the neighbors' and my mailboxes knocked down.  "Exploded" was more accurate, the posts were shattered all over.  I'm assuming a snow plow got a little off course.  On the positive side, was thinking of replacing the mailbox anyways so forced decision is a bit less painful.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #22209 on: January 24, 2016, 06:31:16 AM »
Just to change the subject :). I am a bit confused with the compatibility with windows. Being in networking I am unsure if we covered it and I just forgot, but why does some old games seem to have an issue running on newer windows? Such as I was able to play Star Wars: Rebellion on windows 98 and no issue, but as soon as I put in on 8 or 8.1 it cannot run. This is with toying around with the compatibility settings.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22210 on: January 24, 2016, 06:32:40 AM »
Just to change the subject :). I am a bit confused with the compatibility with windows. Being in networking I am unsure if we covered it and I just forgot, but why does some old games seem to have an issue running on newer windows? Such as I was able to play Star Wars: Rebellion on windows 98 and no issue, but as soon as I put in on 8 or 8.1 it cannot run. This is with toying around with the compatibility settings.
Different (often completely incompatible) "internal" architecture. Most older games like that you'll need to run through a dos-box style "emulator" (or get the GOG version).
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #22211 on: January 24, 2016, 06:35:19 AM »
Different (often completely incompatible) "internal" architecture. Most older games like that you'll need to run through a dos-box style "emulator" (or get the GOG version).
I think I understand :) it does make since that those would need an emulator to run. I think I just confused myself :)

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #22212 on: January 24, 2016, 07:53:00 AM »
so.. whats up with those paragon statesmen? you know, the ball team.

never did find their stadium though.. I think it's in one of those off map places in between the city zones.

Spoiler for Hidden:
(efforts at distraction)
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Graydar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22213 on: January 24, 2016, 08:35:57 PM »
Has anyone tried creating a City of Heroes paper RPG?

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #22214 on: January 24, 2016, 08:40:20 PM »
I am making a board game, but atm I had to stop due to class being in session, but I will pick it back up after the semester is done. So far what is done, is the Outbreak, mission chains, out door map, and a few in door mission maps. I also made some rules and a few power sets. :)

MGLZadok

• Minion
« Reply #22215 on: January 24, 2016, 08:59:55 PM »

I've tried, but I get bogged down making the powers.  Getting the numbers right along with the rate of levelling leads me to lose sight of the bigger picture and I have to start over because I paint myself into the corner of a round room.  Plus worrying about making sure that certain combinations have proper synergy but aren't overpowered...it's just so much math.

Could I do a simplified version?  Maybe, but I want it to be as true to form as it can be through a completely different medium.
Level 50s (Triumph)
Cybot 27 - Claws/Willpower Scrapper
Thelesis - Mind Control/Electricity Assault Dominator
Al'pha - Arachnos Crab Soldier
Damien Zadok - Soldiers/Pain Domination Mastermind

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22216 on: January 24, 2016, 09:03:38 PM »

No need to invent something when Champions aka hero system exists.

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #22217 on: January 24, 2016, 09:19:51 PM »
I get the logic behind the math but what I never could figure out was what was the better of the two: High (60-75%) resistances with ok defenses or high (40-45%) defenses with OK resistances.

In most cases both a forcefielder and a sonic resonance user on the team increase survivability substantially.

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #22218 on: January 24, 2016, 09:27:18 PM »
My phone says its 66 degrees at Key West, at midnight.  My phone also says I'm nowhere near Key West <grr!>

13 inches of snow here, not quite as bad as the 18 inches or so that landed on Washington DC a bit to the east.  Spent most of the day clearing the driveway which seemed to possess much more square footage than I remember from warm days...

Also found the neighbors' and my mailboxes knocked down.  "Exploded" was more accurate, the posts were shattered all over.  I'm assuming a snow plow got a little off course.  On the positive side, was thinking of replacing the mailbox anyways so forced decision is a bit less painful.

Cayo Hueso! Take me there!

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22219 on: January 24, 2016, 10:01:15 PM »
Hey guys I have a quick question. Is Lethal Damage the strongest damage type in City of Heroes?