Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7348090 times)

Biz

• Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #27120 on: March 30, 2017, 07:20:04 PM »
JoshEx returned and claimed that he had created a single-player version of CoH that runs only on a Nintendo DS. Or an Amiga.

Actually he transitioned to an alternate reality and achieved that feat, sadly we were not intellectually challenging enough to maintain his interest here.

Tyger42

• Boss
« Reply #27121 on: March 31, 2017, 01:07:35 AM »
Which just shows how little you understand about CoH.  Although the maps and unchangeable data resided on your computer, everything that made the game work, that is, the re-enterable game code, (which controlled everything from the NPCs to where you were on any given map and allowed you to interact with the environment, spawned NPCs and other players), resided on the server.  This is the "server code," which is the Holy Grail.  And although we refer to it as the "server code" as if every game server was, in fact, a single piece of hardware, it is quite likely at each of the titular "servers" (Virtue, Freedom, Protector, etc) was, in actuality, 10 physical servers working together.  So just for starters....can you afford that much hardware?

Nothing you said has jack shit to do with what I said.... I wasn't referring to hosting the game, I was referring to playing the game. The missions and game content. Most of it could be solo'd. Didn't have anything to do with the feasibility of hosting it client side.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #27122 on: March 31, 2017, 01:33:35 AM »
Opinion leads to contention...contention leads to outrage...outrage leads to anger...anger leads to hate...hate leads to suffering.

Welcome to the darkside, we have cookies and pie.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #27123 on: March 31, 2017, 03:31:47 AM »
Nothing you said has jack shit to do with what I said.... I wasn't referring to hosting the game, I was referring to playing the game. The missions and game content. Most of it could be solo'd. Didn't have anything to do with the feasibility of hosting it client side.
Could be soloed, but the interconnected databases and instances that worked together to generate that gameplay would require a fair bit of computing power to run regardless of whether it's one player or fifty. To make a more compact single player version of the server(s) you'd pretty much need to build your own version of the servers from scratch, preferably while having access to the original server code and/or specs for reference. Either way it would be roughly as much work as rebuilding the original servers from scratch; so maybe a year or more with at least two people working on it full time. Do you have anyone in mind who has the time, money, and skills to do this?
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27124 on: March 31, 2017, 04:53:59 AM »
Sigh

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27125 on: March 31, 2017, 03:21:47 PM »
Opinion leads to contention...contention leads to outrage...outrage leads to anger...anger leads to hate...hate leads to suffering.

Welcome to the darkside, we have cookies and pie.
Cookies, pie and fantasies of a video game

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27126 on: March 31, 2017, 03:54:17 PM »
Well, we still have tabletop RPGs and all the lore of the game, so really we can play CoH in the comfort of our homes.

Without the permission of NCSoft.

There, problem fixed. You are welcome.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27127 on: March 31, 2017, 10:10:24 PM »
Well, we still have tabletop RPGs and all the lore of the game, so really we can play CoH in the comfort of our homes.

I never could get into tabletops... too much imagination involved.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27128 on: March 31, 2017, 10:17:28 PM »

Oh hey I am not the only I guess!

Sigh

"Le Sigh" indeed Vee - my thoughts too

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27129 on: March 31, 2017, 10:50:25 PM »

You never played at my table!  ;)

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #27130 on: March 31, 2017, 11:26:51 PM »

None of the people i played CoH with are anywhere nearby, so that wouldn't work out well. Not that i don't play PnP RPGs, currently playing in a 5th ed D&D campaign and i have used Roll20 before, but if i was going for a superhero tabletop RPG i'd be more likely to look for a Hero System or M&M game. Actually, i am considering seeing if i can find a Mekton Zeta Roll20 game since i've really wanted to play an anime mecha-themed RPG for a while and i already have the books for it.
Still, i played CoH because the MMO design allowed it to be played in a way and at a pace that tabletop can't do.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27131 on: April 01, 2017, 03:20:09 AM »

Tabletop RPGs require other people, usually several other people, and you have to schedule it weeks in advance.  It's not something you can spontaneously decide to do for a half-hour while suffering from a bout of insomnia at 3 am.  Major plots take multiple sessions over the span of weeks or even months, rather than done in, at worst, an hour.  And that's assuming you can find a game master and multiple players willing to play a superhero-themed game and to allow you to actually have similar powers to what CoH allowed you to have (CoH's abilities are very overpowered in a tabletop setting - heck, they were overpowered compared to most other MMOs).  GMs also generally don't let you start new characters and new storylines on a whim, swapping back and forth between characters as the whim strikes you.

So, no, problem not "fixed".  Problem exacerbated.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27132 on: April 01, 2017, 03:27:58 AM »
You can't always get what you want... :roll:

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27133 on: April 01, 2017, 03:53:08 AM »
Says Garfield...

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27134 on: April 01, 2017, 03:54:31 AM »
Says Garfield...

Strange I thought it was the Rolling Stones who said that

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27135 on: April 01, 2017, 03:58:52 AM »
The tease of the last few years has been amusing.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27136 on: April 01, 2017, 04:36:14 AM »

Well, I have all the mechanics and entity definitions more or less still memorized, so really I can play CoH in my own head.

Here we go.

Gee, no one else entering the turnstiles tonight.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27137 on: April 01, 2017, 04:47:22 AM »

Gee, no one else entering the turnstiles tonight.

I'd play but I'm still trying to finish hand-drawing the money after someone stole my Monopoly.

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27138 on: April 01, 2017, 06:06:47 AM »
Strange I thought it was the Rolling Stones who said that

It certainly would be odd...

:o

Tyger42

• Boss
« Reply #27139 on: April 02, 2017, 01:42:37 AM »
Could be soloed, but the interconnected databases

**I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT DATABASES OR HOSTING!** Good god, how much clearer do I have to be?