Author Topic: If we start with no user data  (Read 105260 times)

Von Krieger

• Evil Emperor of German Chocolate
  • Boss
  • Silly Dragon
    • VK's FurAffinity Page
Re: If we start with no user data
« Reply #300 on: July 13, 2014, 03:04:11 PM »
Well, if you are actively in pursuit of Empath on a non-healer I assumed it would be a Badging character.  As such, you'd have to switch sides to get all the badges anyway, so I just did it on one of my jaunts through the Rogue Isles.

What does SG Mode have to do with Empath?

There were also a set of SG badges/awards based on the amount of healing done.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #301 on: July 13, 2014, 03:51:22 PM »
There were also a set of SG badges/awards based on the amount of healing done.

Yeah the SG Achievement badges let you buy inspires at your base. It could also improve resurrection.  For my main badger, that would absolutely work, but I was hoping to combine the two tasks. I can do stuff grindy like this if I have to but I don't enjoy it so I like to get the most bang for my buck.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Mageman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #302 on: July 13, 2014, 05:17:07 PM »
Easiest way was to get the Healing Destiny power and stand in Mercy Island in the southernmost Arachnos base where a ton of troops are lined up.  Set the power on auto and wait a few hours while you make lunch or something.  Each casting did thousands of points of healing.

I never heard of this. I hope to try it out if and when CoX comes back!

Yeah the SG Achievement badges let you buy inspires at your base. It could also improve resurrection.  For my main badger, that would absolutely work, but I was hoping to combine the two tasks. I can do stuff grindy like this if I have to but I don't enjoy it so I like to get the most bang for my buck.

If you want to do it for your SG, if I remember correctly, you could be in the Rogue Islands in SG mode as a vigilante (still hero, but falling). IF I remember correctly!
My Reality:
#1 I love my wife!
#2 I miss CoX!
#3 Refer to rule #1!
#4 I seem to have an itch!

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #303 on: July 13, 2014, 05:46:14 PM »
I never heard of this. I hope to try it out if and when CoX comes back!

If you want to do it for your SG, if I remember correctly, you could be in the Rogue Islands in SG mode as a vigilante (still hero, but falling). IF I remember correctly!

OK. I couldn't remember exactly when you lost designation in alignment process and had to leave your SG. I only had one Villain SG so I could do go vigilante do it for the hero base finish the side change and then do it for the Villain base.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
  • Follow my on Twitter @LunaEclypse
    • Luna Eclypse on VirtueVerse
« Reply #304 on: July 13, 2014, 06:19:50 PM »
I don't know if I'd aim to re-level all the characters I used to have... there were many. If we have to start over from scratch, I think I'll slow down to enjoy myself more this time. CoH was always, to me, a game about the journey and not the destination. Around the time the Incarnate System was in place, I found myself pining for the earlier days when the major focus was just meeting up with new people and going out to kick some butt together. That was less exciting for me with everyone gunning for the new end-game content in a hurry. Repeating those same Incarnate Trials over and over became tiresome just from never going to different places. I maxed out all of the available Incarnate Powers on maybe two characters and decided I was done with it until new ones were released. I spent more time going back and starting new characters.

A game usually only gets to make one first impression on a player. 9 years ago, it made me fall in love with it. With this 2 year absence, if we have to start over, it gets to make that impression all over again for me. :)
"The Remarkable Dazzling"
Luna Eclypse

kierthos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #305 on: July 13, 2014, 07:55:25 PM »
If we get the game back, and it doesn't have character data/account data... well, I'd be a bit upset, but you know, we'd have the game back.

Personally, I wouldn't mind leveling up my characters again (mind you, I only had two level 50s...), but I would miss having some of the costume options from the Veteran Rewards. Mind you, I did 'jump forward' something like 27 months in Veteran rewards in one day....

btru

• Underling
« Reply #306 on: July 13, 2014, 08:08:48 PM »
Maybe early access to the character creator so we could reserve our names and character builds early?

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #307 on: July 13, 2014, 08:40:00 PM »
Standard Run I would slot with one -End, and Prestige Power Slide I would slot with one +Run, so I was covered whichever I chose.
That's a good idea.

Evala Tempest

• Underling
« Reply #308 on: July 14, 2014, 02:23:45 AM »
I am urged by me desire to play this again to say that any thing extra is only a perk. No other game has held the same place in my heart as that of COH. That being said, I was very spoiled by the vet rewards and would most dearly love to have it. I will miss my traps defender and scrapper that were incarnate. I should hope there will be some method for "catching up" for the loss of influence and killer enhancements. Having all that data restore would most certainly be a gift. Having said that, achieving all those "perks" was apart of the fun.

WolfSoul

• Lieutenant
    • Writing portfolio
« Reply #309 on: July 14, 2014, 06:59:35 PM »
If we do not get our data (characters, etc) back. I can live with it. I keep waffling between wanting to start over and not wanting to start over (all those alts! lol)

What I'd like to see is that everything that exists in game, costumes, powersets, I/O's, etc. All be available to all subscribers as the base game and NEW vet rewards, store items, etc be made to fill the hole.

Just my two cents.

Wolfsoul

Neutron-Star

• Minion
« Reply #310 on: July 15, 2014, 05:38:00 AM »

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #311 on: July 15, 2014, 10:28:05 AM »
Either way, I would like some of the existing NPC costume parts to become purchasable. PPD powered armor and such.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Von Krieger

• Evil Emperor of German Chocolate
  • Boss
  • Silly Dragon
    • VK's FurAffinity Page
« Reply #312 on: July 15, 2014, 06:04:29 PM »
Either way, I would like some of the existing NPC costume parts to become purchasable. PPD powered armor and such.

I think the Enforcer set was made because folks liked the PPD armor so much. If I recall correctly the PPD armor clipped majorly, and also had a few places where there was no mesh, so you had invisible bits at certain angles, as they were designed to fit together with the other PPD armor parts, and not just any old thing.

Though looking at it in Icon (after discovering that the PPD Shell doesn't exist on the female frame) that if you use the Tights, it clips a lot less than I recall. Though I can't seem to find the gloves, which to my recollection were the piece I was thinking of the most. I want to say that it's the hoses on the gloves I was thinking of.

Or maybe I'm thinking of another powered armor-y thing?

But yeah, there's a lot of NPC stuff that I'd love to have bludgeoned towards working nicely with other bits. The Victoria pieces for one, more of the Thorns outfit pieces for another.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 06:23:56 PM by Hellkat »

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #313 on: July 15, 2014, 07:43:25 PM »
I don't know... I think there is a certain status to have NPC costume components. the idea that it separates out the players from the NPCs helps to make the game a bit more immersive. you can't just clone your favourite NPC's look  makes it more imperitive that the game is about you and your quest to save the city, not the PPD's, or Vanguards, or Arachnos's, etc... besides, if you really want to wear PPD power armor, there was always ToT
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #314 on: July 15, 2014, 08:03:31 PM »
Without the dev tools (missing at this time) it is likely that NPC parts will stay exactly that. But if they make CoH2, maybe it could be in there.

Really, until the sale happens (please, oh please!) it's all speculation base what Iron Wolf has said and what can be gleaned from what Codewalker has said about how server side works based on what calls the client made. A slippery slope to base an argument on.

AKA TheDevilYouKnow

GN2

• Minion
« Reply #315 on: July 15, 2014, 09:27:56 PM »
My opinion on payment is pretty simple: Gating content behind paywalls is bad, as it fragments the playerbase. Being able to directly purchase power (The "super boosts" that were offered late in the game's lifespan are a direct example of this, with things like the store enhancements and good powersets being cash shop only being less direct examples) is extremely bad.

(And yes, I do consider pay-for-ATs to be content)

Brightfires

• Elite Boss
  • ... is *NOT* Groot
« Reply #316 on: July 15, 2014, 11:05:48 PM »
I don't know... I think there is a certain status to have NPC costume components. the idea that it separates out the players from the NPCs helps to make the game a bit more immersive. you can't just clone your favourite NPC's look  makes it more imperitive that the game is about you and your quest to save the city, not the PPD's, or Vanguards, or Arachnos's, etc... besides, if you really want to wear PPD power armor, there was always ToT

It still would have been nice to have the Death Mage bits for my Nemissary, though. He was supposed to be a rogue Death Mage, after all. 

I'd have colored them entirely white, of course, and switched a few details out here and there... He never was one for strict conformity... But it would have been awfully nice for him to have access to the proper hat and spikey back-pieces at the very least.
Taker of screenshots. Player of bird-things.

Serpine

• Biting Commentarian
  • Boss
  • Telegram force and ready
« Reply #317 on: July 15, 2014, 11:18:06 PM »
Or maybe I'm thinking of another powered armor-y thing?
I'm pretty sure what are saying matched the story we were told regarding PPD Shell armor. I'm theorizing these were parts they had working before they gave up because of the arms or some other issue. Though running around in live with the purchased transform power they eventually gave, I really don't see where any significant collision / missing geometry would have been: The "glove" arm components are some bicep armor and the gun bracers and both seem sufficiently broken up from the shoulders and eachother.

I never understood the collision fear anyway. Some collisions can be used for highly interesting looks. And if a part collides or shears in a way that doesn't look good, people simply won't use the combo so they don't look bad (and if they really do want to look bad, the random button generally produces more gruesome results anyway).

I don't know... I think there is a certain status to have NPC costume components. the idea that it separates out the players from the NPCs helps to make the game a bit more immersive.
Personally, I think having more components that match those of non-unique entities in the game world available make it *more* immersive. They provide immediate clear hints and questions about your background (be it that the piece is one from your former/current alligience or a trophy from enemies). And they can help solidify your connection to the setting in a concrete way. I give as the ultimate example the villain Arachnos archetypes: Many of those who enjoyed them had a great time acting and looking the part.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 11:41:02 PM by Serpine »
Guns don't kill people, meerkats do.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #318 on: July 16, 2014, 03:53:13 AM »
I say give nobody nothing.
And give me everything.
Wait, that sounds like a villain, I usually played heroes.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #319 on: July 16, 2014, 07:33:46 AM »
I never understood the collision fear anyway. Some collisions can be used for highly interesting looks. And if a part collides or shears in a way that doesn't look good, people simply won't use the combo so they don't look bad (and if they really do want to look bad, the random button generally produces more gruesome results anyway).
Indeed. See my avatar - Roman helmet pieces plus Enforcer mask and jaw :)
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.