Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7318781 times)

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #22700 on: February 16, 2016, 04:22:41 PM »
Some of the mods responsible for this thread pick and choose what counts and what doesn't.  There is no consistency here and when you try to argue logic, all you get is "well don't come here then", which can speak volumes about the true nature of the highly-touted CoH community.  I've had comments removed that briefly talked about other CoH related games in the pipeline, and told that those comments weren't welcome here, only to be followed by what everyone's favorite flavor of potato chips is.  The best thing to do is just come here and do a quick check, then continue about your day.  Don't let yourself get agitated by people with their modicum of power.

Seems pretty black and white to me.   Don't be pessimistic and don't demand information about something you aren't really entitled any information to.

The argument that you are defending. That he want's "consistency" is completely invalid.  This thread is to help ensure consistency if anything.  That's why other topics are moved.  Because there is already a very large and obvious "While we wait" thread.

It's not like it would be hard to figure out if there was any news here.  Not only does the first page of this topic have all the news, Codewalker also has a locked thread specifically for that, and there would probably be countless "ITS FINALLY BACK" posts.

Therefore any time anyone asks for "news" it is met with "Stop asking. Be patient" because there are several outlets dedicated to just that.  And if they haven't been updated it's because there is no news, and therefore there is nothing to ask about.

If this thread wasn't here, and we didn't have the news we already have (Which is way more then any of us are actually entitled to know) then who knows how alive this community would be.  We should be grateful this thread exists, and that we know as much as we do.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22701 on: February 16, 2016, 06:48:26 PM »
"operating system volume"

To me that says that bulk storage drives are not included.
Good catch. I was tired at 1 am lol.

Shibboleth

• Boss
« Reply #22702 on: February 16, 2016, 06:57:59 PM »
Galactus is the least of our problems, just give him a foot massage and back and shoulder rub, let him take a bite out of the moon and otherwise agree not to eat planets people live on.

I'm hoping someone gets the reference.

It's where I keep my stuff.

GenericHero05

• New Efforts # 7,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #22703 on: February 16, 2016, 07:39:13 PM »
Which flavor is your favorite?

Rice is my favorite but bread is up there also.
If I was a Jedi, there's a 100% chance that I'd use The Force inappropriately.

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22704 on: February 16, 2016, 08:12:20 PM »

banana pudding is best

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22705 on: February 16, 2016, 08:59:50 PM »
Please don't forget to keep an eye on SCoRE!  NCSoft isn't the *only* hope we have, luckily for all of us.
Heck, I named SCoRE, but I suspect I will be retirement age before it comes to fruition.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22706 on: February 16, 2016, 09:07:21 PM »

Rice and bread are flavors?

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22707 on: February 16, 2016, 09:21:58 PM »
Rice and bread are flavors?

breadpudding and rice pudding are

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22708 on: February 16, 2016, 09:22:31 PM »
"operating system volume"

To me that says that bulk storage drives are not included.

I can't quite justify putting all of my stuff on SSD, 4 and 6TB  external drives are just too cost effective and at USB3 or eSATA are plenty zippy** (I often get them at Costco when they go on sale for ridiculously low prices).  But for the primary boot volume I think these days you'd have to be crazy to be running on spindles.  900+GB SSDs are under $300, and even 2TB SSDs are under $700.  I recently migrated to one of these: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B010QD6W9I, which basically means there's not many excuses left for people who need "large" primary volumes.  I know not long ago people complained about the headache splitting primary volumes between 250GB SSDs and large capacity spindles.  That's really not a problem anymore.

** Also, it is so much more convenient to upgrade and replace external hard drives***.  To prevent them from dying on me, I just keep buying new ones and transferring my data to larger ones at regular intervals of about a year or two.  I keep two copies of everything and leapfrog the drives.  I keep thinking about building a home NAS, but I'm lazy and this is easier.

*** In fact, I might experiment with actually *booting* from external SSD at some point in the near future using something like bootable eSATA.

Gorgor

• Underling
« Reply #22709 on: February 16, 2016, 09:25:37 PM »
Just got a 980.  All dressed up and nowhere to go.  :(

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22710 on: February 16, 2016, 09:28:12 PM »
breadpudding and rice pudding are

Never really thought about "bread" and "rice" being flavors even in the context of rice and bread pudding.  I suppose there's obviously a taste difference between the two coming from the rice and bread itself, but both of those are relatively neutral bases for actual flavoring.  I can't imagine what "bread pudding" would taste like without vanilla, sugar, or cinnamon.  The best bread pudding I ever had was a chocolate bread pudding with rum caramel sauce.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22711 on: February 16, 2016, 09:46:40 PM »
Some of the mods responsible for this thread pick and choose what counts and what doesn't.  There is no consistency here and when you try to argue logic, all you get is "well don't come here then", which can speak volumes about the true nature of the highly-touted CoH community.  I've had comments removed that briefly talked about other CoH related games in the pipeline, and told that those comments weren't welcome here, only to be followed by what everyone's favorite flavor of potato chips is.  The best thing to do is just come here and do a quick check, then continue about your day.  Don't let yourself get agitated by people with their modicum of power.
He has an issue with this thread in particular ("This thread sucks"), so I reminded him he doesn't have to read this thread; I didn't say he didn't have to "come here" (e.g. Titan itself). All of the information we have is available in the first post, and in Codewalker's "Wake Me Up" post. We won't get information because the peons (including me) ask for it; we'll get information when the people involved (which isn't any Titan member that I know of) are willing to give it.

All new threads about these efforts are locked because we have this thread and the "Wake Me Up" thread. It's not inconsistent at all. If it's just the illusion of me being power-mad, I can instead delete the threads so you don't see all the locks. It doesn't matter to me. However, I have simply been locking them because there was a big kerfuffle a while back during our last forum re-org about missing posts, so I figured it's best to leave them there. The results are the same: discussion about the efforts takes place in the thread dedicated to discussion about the efforts. The fact that we don't have much information outside of "there are efforts being made" means the discussion will range wildly over many topics. I would rather have an active thread with participants engaging with each other than a thousand posts asking what's going on.

(PS: I move or remove or discourage discussion of other games because we have dedicated space for them.)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22712 on: February 17, 2016, 01:02:31 AM »
Big pile of meh.  I am certain there will be just another passive aggressive, insult wrapped nugget of wisdom to come.

JoshexProxy

• [citation needed]²
  • Boss
« Reply #22713 on: February 17, 2016, 02:33:52 AM »
UPDATE!!!

spring festival AKA asian newyear is officially /Over/ the majority of people here are back to work, however I can confirm that some people and especially people in high corporate positions will most likely take an extra week or 2 or 3, because they can.

What does this mean? I can only speculate that the people at NCSoft the THeM is talking to are still on holiday, and nothing will get done until they get back. Expect them to return somewhere between the second, ninth or sixteenth of March.

When they get back, expect them to take a week or 2 to get back into their work groove (they'll have been gone for at least a month, if not a month and a half), by the latest the 30th of march, However when back at work do not expect CoX negotiations to be the top priority, expect them to take a month getting their currently running games and development projects back in gear before they even think about us.

But here I am jumping ahead of myself, there's another holiday that Korea shares with china, tombs day, this year it will be the 4th to 6th of April, so there's not even a week between the 30th and that holiday. Do not expect a lot to get done.

good news is tombs day will last only 1 week (3 days for workers, a week for corporate bosses), so  they will be definitively back to work by April 13th from where they will take their month to get their current and in development games/projects in order. it will most likely be a month of intense board room meetings and brainstorming that have nothing to do with us.

One month later is the 4th of May. So in May there will be a decent chance of our negotiations resuming. Expect their time for TF HM to be limited, that being said expect as little as one meeting per month or less and only if other things that are part of the revival project have gotten done by that time and are awaiting corporate commentary.

the THeM Might have some news in May if everything is done already, but it Might be more like November 2016 if they are still working on it. I have no information on the state of the deal or the server image or any progress to getting it running in maintenance mode or anything. the only thing I am commenting here on is the corporate holiday and probability of their work prioritization schedule.

so that's where we are, a major holiday is now over but the corporate bosses will still be on holiday at this time for another week at least, and the chance of anything getting done for TF HM before May 4th are extremely slim.

that being said it's not impossible that we may hear something as soon as they return form holiday in a week or 4 around the 9th or 16th of March. so keep your eyes peeled around that time.

Again I am a nobody in the deal, this is just saying the people who are negotiating are on holdiay still for a bit and nothing will get done till they return.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 02:40:03 AM by JoshexProxy »

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22714 on: February 17, 2016, 02:43:35 AM »
I have no idea what I'm talking about, please disregard everything I say

ftfy

JoshexProxy

• [citation needed]²
  • Boss
« Reply #22715 on: February 17, 2016, 02:53:49 AM »
ftfy

I was commenting on the holiday calender, which I do know mostly about. the chance of them not taking an extra week or 2 of holiday time is slim. they are on holiday, this is the best update that can be given right now.

them being on holiday however does not mean that any workers who have been allocated to modify the server image or make a webpage or game shop etc. are not back at work, the holiday is over for workers after all.

that's really as good an update as we can get unless our wildest dreams come true defying all expectations and the people making the deal have been itching to get back to work to make an announcement to us.

major asian holiday over; that is the news I can confirm.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22716 on: February 17, 2016, 03:50:23 AM »
I was commenting on the holiday calender, which I do know mostly about.

You have a "holiday calendar" which lists asian new year as a holiday.  I'm not even going to bother putting a question mark at the end of that, because I can't really even pretend to ask that question. 

Speaking as the current representative for all of the asian people (we used to elect the position but now we rotate the position by height) I'm authorized to inform you that there's no asian new year.  We only tell you people that so we can take the day after the Super Bowl off of work.  There is a Chinese New Year which lasts for one day like 'Merican New Year, although there are some festivities that can last for longer than that.  Japanese people don't celebrate Chinese New Year both because Japanese people celebrate the western new year, and also because they have determined they are not Chinese since at least 1873.  Koreans also do not celebrate Chinese New Year.  Although their lunar new year celebrations typically fall on or around the same day as Chinese lunar new year, their holiday only superficially looks like Chinese New Year, even less than Koreans superficially look like Chinese.  Koreans are a distinct people from Chinese people, having not only their own holidays but also an enhanced genetic predisposition to excelling at Starcraft. 

The Thai new year is in April, because it is too damn cold in Thailand in February.  The new year was outlawed in Nepal, probably until the Golden Child reinstated it in 1986.  Vietnamese new year, aka Tet, is Christmas, New Year, and the 4th of July all rolled into one, or so I've heard.  Asians were thinking about making that Asian New Year, until we realized it meant two less holidays.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22717 on: February 17, 2016, 04:03:14 AM »
And here I was so busy trying to parse

Expect them to return somewhere between the second, ninth or sixteenth of March.

that I missed the whole 'aka Asian New Year' bit.

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22718 on: February 17, 2016, 04:36:35 AM »
UPDATE!!!

*Something unnecessarily convoluted about Asian holiday without any basis or evidence how business is ran let alone NC Soft's holiday calendar and random speculation*

The logic Kanye used to come up with a weird rant about praying for 53 million dollars in debt to vanish while begging Mark Zuckerberg for 1 billion dollars in "investments" made more sense than this post.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22719 on: February 17, 2016, 05:28:53 AM »
The logic Kanye used to come up with a weird rant about praying for 53 million dollars in debt to vanish while begging Mark Zuckerberg for 1 billion dollars in "investments" made more sense than this post.
Yep