Author Topic: Couple of Lore questions  (Read 1523 times)

ag88t88

• Lieutenant
  • Ice_Wall
Couple of Lore questions
« on: June 24, 2014, 07:41:34 PM »
Just out of curiosity can anyone tell me about the lore of Paragon City?  I looked some stuff up on Paragon Wiki but I couldn't find any information on the Mayor, and as I recall there was some sort of Hero Registration Act kind of law that allowed heroes to publicly operate in Paragon City in 2004 when the game launched, can anyone show me to any information on this or fill me in on some of it from memory if no documentation is available?

Dinah Might

• Minion
Re: Couple of Lore questions
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 08:27:32 PM »
The Citizen Crime Fighting Act was a law passed in 1937 after the city council and mayoral elections of 1936 swept in a platform of pro-hero candidates. The Act made it legal for vigilantes to bring criminals to justice as long as they followed the same restrictions that police officers followed.

In 1952 the Act was expanded to include officially licensed hero organizations that could in turn deputize their members. In 1953 the Freedom Phalanx became the first group to take advantage of this new law, and the Dawn Patrol and the mysterious Midnight Squad quickly followed suit.

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Citizen_Crime_Fighting_Act

ag88t88

• Lieutenant
  • Ice_Wall
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 09:53:57 PM »
Bingo! That's exactly what I was looking for.  Though I thought there was a canonical explanation for why the city threw its doors open to Heroes in 2004, a new wave of hero legislation or something like that.  Am I wrong in that or was there something I'm forgetting?

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 12:01:49 AM »
No, 2004 was nothing special other than continuing to recover from the Rikti invasion. They didn't "allow more" registrations, it just so happens that's when our game started so it "seems" like it. But the original game was very obvious that you were a sort-of "chosen one", wherein all the content of the game put you at center stage (even if you were a grunt most of the time) - it ignored all those other heroes running around. Kind of awkward, really.

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Canon_Timeline
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

ag88t88

• Lieutenant
  • Ice_Wall
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 12:34:12 AM »
No, 2004 was nothing special other than continuing to recover from the Rikti invasion. They didn't "allow more" registrations, it just so happens that's when our game started so it "seems" like it. But the original game was very obvious that you were a sort-of "chosen one", wherein all the content of the game put you at center stage (even if you were a grunt most of the time) - it ignored all those other heroes running around. Kind of awkward, really.

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Canon_Timeline

Haha, really? I never knew that, I didn't start til I5 and I thought the whole "chosen one" arc was for the villains, I didn't realize that was a hero thing too.  ohh well.

Corlagon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 11:55:07 PM »
Freedom Corps might have been founded in 2004 (in response to Hero Corps, which was reestablished in 2003). However, there is surprisingly little info about that organization, despite its prominence.