Author Topic: Feeling Hopeful about the future of City of Heroes  (Read 4271 times)

Taivas

• Underling
Feeling Hopeful about the future of City of Heroes
« on: June 19, 2014, 04:37:48 PM »
Over the last few weeks City of Heroes has been on my mind frequently. In fact, I've had trouble getting it off my mind. It seems I spend every minute of the day pining over the game like it's a long lost first love... and in a way, it is.

This might sound silly to some of the more atheistic people out there, but I've been speaking to the universe. I initially asked the universe to give me back my game. I explained that myself and many thousands of others considered City of Heroes to be our home, our escape, our refuge. We would go to City of Heroes for peace and friendship, to forget our problems and be part of a genuine community of people who would help us and be on our side.

If you want to look at it spiritually, City of Heroes is a game full of love and spirit. Our community is quite possibly the most positive and reassuring online gaming community in the world. Not only that, we're also passionate and imaginative. To us it's not a game, it's a big part of our lives. Now that it's gone, it feels like an important part of each and every soul who played that game has been yanked out and thrown into a dark corner never to be seen again.

Yet there is hope. Since speaking to the universe, things have changed somehow. I knew about this forum before but something told me to sign up. I kept asking, politely, for us to get our game back. I told the universe that so much love and happiness would be reignited out of a rebirth of City of Heroes. I think the universe is starting to understand that this wasn't just a game, it was a powerful connection that kept a wonderful community strong together.

I recently read about the continued efforts to revive City of Heroes via negotiations with NCSoft and that, to me, seems like confirmation that the universe is listening. Perhaps I'm being idealistic and naive, perhaps it's a coincidence. I don't know. All I know is, there are dedicated people out there fighting to bring back our home and I have a gut feeling that they will succeed. My instincts are telling me to be patient and wait. The universe is on our side here and it wants us to spread as much love and happiness as possible. Through City of Heroes, we can and will achieve that. Therefore it makes sense, not just for us fans and gamers, but for the universe to bring it back and renew some good in the world.

City of Heroes is not dead. As long as we all live, it lives within us. Through the power of collective positivity, hope and spirit we will return to Paragon City some day. It may not be soon but it WILL happen.

Dinah Might

• Minion
Re: Feeling Hopeful about the future of City of Heroes
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 05:11:21 PM »
I sure hope the universe listens to you better then it listens to me.

kiario

• Boss
  • CoH Fanboy
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 09:14:42 PM »
To be honest, I think this game is quite low on the priority list of the universe. But i know exactly how you feel about the game. I can't get it off my mind either. Which is kinda strange because I have never felt like this before over something I lost.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 11:12:22 PM »
"What were they thinking?!?!" There have been games in maintenance mode, they probably should have done that with CoH.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 12:15:17 AM »
I was hoping maybe 'obsolescence' might encourage NCsoft sell CoH off to a 3rd party.
I still have no idea why they don't.....

beveri8469

• Boss
  • still inside atlas park hospital waiting to leave
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 12:27:05 AM »
what bugs me is instead of shutting it down, why didnt they just merge servers first. most mmo's do that usually.
but i do agree with the OP. as long as coh burns within us, it will never die.

@Eternal Twilight
Now in Paragon

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 01:52:49 AM »
I have hope that one day city of heroes will come back
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Taivas

• Underling
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 10:13:31 AM »
what bugs me is instead of shutting it down, why didnt they just merge servers first. most mmo's do that usually.

It makes you wonder if NCSoft had an agenda when they shut CoH down. Of course they could have merged the servers. They also could have stopped development of the game and left it in a kind of limbo state (which is better than no game at all). There are probably dozens of options they could have taken that would have ensured the game's survival without them losing a penny.

I think it was about more than money. I think it was some kind of sly strategic move to own the MMO market. Now that they've seen the backlash from their actions and they have their fancy new Wildstar to focus on, perhaps they will repent for their sins and allow us to have our beloved game back.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 10:35:41 AM »
There was a large group of players who were (some of them militantly) against server merging.
A) we lose the merged server's "style" of community
2) merged server's "style" of community may not play well with the target server's "style" of community
III) some people prefer small servers
d) people who wanted higher-population servers already had two to choose from (arguably three, with Exalted, but it was behind a pay-wall), there were an abundance of mid-pop servers, and only a couple who were truly "low"
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 11:05:37 AM »
Agge, you missed the major reason people didn't want merged servers, losing character names.

Little David

• Boss
    • The Ad Ultimum Network
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 12:44:13 PM »
I was hoping maybe 'obsolescence' might encourage NCsoft sell CoH off to a 3rd party.
I still have no idea why they don't.....

Well, if what Ironwolf has said is true, there may yet be hope that they will.

Which would be an amazing turn of fortune for us. City of Heroes would be the first MMORPG that NCSoft has killed off which they would have subsequently sold, rather than keep under lock and key as they have done with Tabula Rasa, Auto Assault, Exteel and Dungeon Runners.

I certainly can't see them finally relenting to sell CoH for any sort of altruistic reason. It could be that deciding to sell CoH now might be recognition that yes, the City of Heroes community is pretty damn serious, serious enough to start developing three different superhero MMOs to replace the one that was lost. Maybe NCSoft hopes that giving up the IP now will not only make them a modest sum on an IP they don't plan to ever revive, but help prevent City of Titans, Valiance Online, or Heroes & Villains from becoming a major threat to their operations.

That's probably because Paragon Studios didn't think it necessary. CoH was still bringing in revenue at the time NCSoft killed both it and Paragon Studios, albeit not as much as their current favorite cash cows. Had Paragon Studios been a wholly independent company with sole ownership and management over City of Heroes, I think we would still be playing CoH today.

In fact, thanks to the article at Gamasutra we do know that Paragon Studios was trying to buy itself out of NCSoft's grip, taking ownership of the CoH IP with it. The deal was very close to completion when NCSoft's leadership whimsically decided to shut down the studio and close the game instead.

So ... it couldn't have been a matter of money being that tight. NCSoft probably just up and decided that, even though City of Heroes was still making money, it could make so much more money by killing the whole thing off and investing their capital in a different title.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 03:31:05 PM »
Soon (TM)

Taivas

• Underling
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 03:36:21 PM »
Soon (TM)

I have all the patience in the world for you and the team who are behind this. Do what you need to do, guys. We're all supporting you and keeping you in our thoughts.

FourSpeed

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 09:32:46 PM »
There was a large group of players who were (some of them militantly) against server merging.
A) we lose the merged server's "style" of community
2) merged server's "style" of community may not play well with the target server's "style" of community
III) some people prefer small servers
d) people who wanted higher-population servers already had two to choose from (arguably three, with Exalted, but it was behind a pay-wall), there were an abundance of mid-pop servers, and only a couple who were truly "low"

While those are definitely valid "player" concerns, it also would have been a logisitical nightmare,
particularly for like-named supergroups across different servers -- who gets to keep theirs? (Who
wants to write the SQL queries to identify/verify those conflicts? Better not miss one, or you likely
end up trashing someone's SG, base, and any/all items they had in storage at merge-time...)  :'(

Additionally, in the early days, the Vets were guaranteed to have their main character name across
servers, and many of us have several different alts with the same name on the various servers (I
had several toons named "FourSpeed", for instance). Another thankless issue to resolve.

Then of course, Minotaur's point is equally a pita for name collisions (owned by different players)
across the various servers  that would need to be resolved (again, more problematic query work
with no margin for error).

Sorting those issues out, mistake free, would be a major risk - and mess it up? It would lead to a
sh*t-storm that would make the ED brouhaha seem like a minor squabble between two sparrows.

Further, add on the numerous, mindboggling (and occasionally hilarious) bugs that showed up with
every Issue release, and I personally, would have had ZERO confidence that a server merge would
have been successful.

And that's not even counting the other (simpler) "tech" stuff like SQL DB migration/merges, server
maintenance, data mining & reporting script changes, DNS adjustments, etc.

In short - a major headache of a job, and unless the server hardware is leased, the consolidation
wouldn't probably even save much if the hardware is already on the books as purchased, which
would likely be counted as depreciated material assets anyway.

I'd guess that everytime it was mentioned and considered it came up as a fail in a Cost Benefits
analysis. The upside benefit would be minimal, and the downside fubar would be catastrophic.

Edit:  As for the OP - I too am hoping that the folks Ironwolf is fronting for are successful.
For all of its many issues, CoH/V was unique and still one of the best MMOs ever (imho).

Regards,