Author Topic: Penny Dreadful TV Series  (Read 2532 times)

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
Penny Dreadful TV Series
« on: June 13, 2014, 09:23:15 PM »
Has anyone else been watching this series?

It's a Showtime series about the effort of Mina (from the Dracula novel) Murray's father to save her from the vampire's clutches. He's aided in this by Viictor Frankenstein, a young female psychic who grew up with Mina, and an American sharpshooter. Dorian Gray is hovering on the outskirts seemingly trying to find out what's going on.

It's very good, and I only have one other person I know who's watched it so I had to see if anyone here has seen it yet. :D

Mental Maden

• Boss
Re: Penny Dreadful TV Series
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 11:16:36 PM »
I'm really enjoying it.

Aleksandros

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 01:15:58 AM »
An interesting series so far - the interpretation of Victor Frankenstein is a bit off from anything prior, and the vampires look like a big reveal is coming with the Master's appearance (soon?).  I like it - it's very pleasantly warped.  Wondering if Billie Piper is going to assume the role of the Bride - her character seems written for it.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 01:23:06 AM »
An interesting series so far - the interpretation of Victor Frankenstein is a bit off from anything prior, and the vampires look like a big reveal is coming with the Master's appearance (soon?).  I like it - it's very pleasantly warped.  Wondering if Billie Piper is going to assume the role of the Bride - her character seems written for it.

It certainly seems likely that Brona is going to wind up as the Bride ... or at least her main components.

JKPhage

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 06:15:14 PM »
I absolutely adore this show. When I first saw previews I thought it looked awesome, watched the first few episodes and loved the way that they interwove all of the various classical horror tales, but I was a little put off by the rampant nudity and excessive language and gore at some parts. Well, perhaps put off isn't the best wording for it, but it seemed like it was just put in for shock value at first, until it dawned on me that this show is supposed to be in the spirit of classic "Penny Dreadfuls", essentially the exploitation films of the day. When I had that realization it all just contributed to the experience. It's a great story that has plenty of delightfully over-stated gore and sex and so far has had absolutely fantastic acting. I'm also not at all minding the recent development with Dorian and Ethan. It was wonderfully built up in that episode and I'm looking forward to seeing what the aftermath is.

As for Brona becoming the Bride, I hadn't thought of that but it does seem very likely now, and I really want to see where that can go. I knew she'd have to have some significance at one point or another being played by Billy Piper, and seeing as the show doesn't seem to introduce a character with that much screen time if they don't have some sort of important role to play, but that thought makes it seem even more exciting. I'm also extremely curious about Sembene and who/what he is. I'm putting money on some kind of Voodoo Priest/Witchdoctor or perhaps even some sort of minor African tribal deity of some sort.

As for Ethan, there seems to be a lot of "speculation" floating around on entertainment sites debating whether he is a werewolf or not. Did anyone seriously NOT see this coming from episode one when he woke up outside and confused and then went to go see the murder scene? They've practically beat us over the head with the "hints", which are more like giant flashing neon signs (Aforementioned, on the run from the American police, seeing a play ABOUT a werewolf, calming a wild wolf, the dog fighting pit, etc. etc.), and I'm genuinely curious if anyone was seriously not getting that.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 12:38:04 AM »

As for Ethan, there seems to be a lot of "speculation" floating around on entertainment sites debating whether he is a werewolf or not. Did anyone seriously NOT see this coming from episode one when he woke up outside and confused and then went to go see the murder scene? They've practically beat us over the head with the "hints", which are more like giant flashing neon signs (Aforementioned, on the run from the American police, seeing a play ABOUT a werewolf, calming a wild wolf, the dog fighting pit, etc. etc.), and I'm genuinely curious if anyone was seriously not getting that.

It could be that people feel that's too obvious to be true. :D

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 12:58:49 AM »
Orphan Black - SciFi
Game of Thrones - Fantasy
Penny Dreadful - Gothic Horror

Trifecta

Enough said.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 01:10:24 AM »
Okay, last night's episode of Penny Dreadful was pretty good, but
Spoiler for Hidden:
I wasn't crazy about them killing off Van Helsing. Don't adapt something and then change things for willy nilly reasons. I was expecting to find out that Van Helsing was conducting his own investigation and we'd eventually see Jonathan Harker and his friends working to save Mina as well.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 01:29:53 AM »
So do I stay up to watch Penny Dreadful or watch my DVR of it.

Kinda impatient.... :D

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 05:06:31 AM »
That was an intense episode.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 06:44:30 PM »
That was an intense episode.

Quite.

Spoiler for Hidden:
And Ethan Chandler is a perfectly normal human ... right.  ;)  If you believe that I have a bridge for you.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 09:18:36 PM »
I'm not sure
Spoiler for Hidden:
Ethan had control of the exorcism. I think it was Brona's medal

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 03:32:38 AM »
I'm not sure
Spoiler for Hidden:
Ethan had control of the exorcism. I think it was Brona's medal

Spoiler for Hidden:
No, don't care about the exorcism, that was perfectly okay, maybe slightly curious how he knows how to do it but that's minor.  No, I'm talking about the fact that he is most likely a werewolf.  How he handled the wolves at the zoo.  Suggesting that a transfusion using his blood wouldn't be a good thing.  Threat to tear out Sir Malcolm's throat.  Running from something from home.  Next week's bounty hunters who are after him.  He is so not a normal human, even though they try to play him off as one.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 10:44:08 AM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
No, don't care about the exorcism, that was perfectly okay, maybe slightly curious how he knows how to do it but that's minor.  No, I'm talking about the fact that he is most likely a werewolf.  How he handled the wolves at the zoo.  Suggesting that a transfusion using his blood wouldn't be a good thing.  Threat to tear out Sir Malcolm's throat.  Running from something from home.  Next week's bounty hunters who are after him.  He is so not a normal human, even though they try to play him off as one.

Spoiler for Hidden:
He might be, but I'm thinking they are a bit too obvious about it. So I think there's a possibility the  "Ethan's a werewolf" is a red herring.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 11:30:02 PM »

Spoiler for Hidden:
He might be, but I'm thinking they are a bit too obvious about it. So I think there's a possibility the  "Ethan's a werewolf" is a red herring.

Yes but that's what they want you to think.   ;D

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 12:26:55 PM »
Did not disappoint.

Spoiler for Hidden:
We have yet to meet the Master.
Ethan's more Wolfman than werewolf.  So wanted an American Werewolf in London.
There are times when the monster is so sympathetic.
Who wants to be "normal"?
And poor, pretty Dorian.  Rejected for the first time.  Immortality sucks.

So we are still missing The Mummy but they've laid the groundwork.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2014, 10:36:49 PM »
I thought that the season finale was pretty good.

I do hope
Spoiler for Hidden:
that Dorian plays a bigger role in the next season.

And I thought that
Spoiler for Hidden:
Ethan's werewolf makeup was nicely done.

And I wonder if
Spoiler for Hidden:
Victor's murder and resurrection of Brona will be found out by Ethan or not ... maybe will have a fight when Frankenstein's Monster Meets the Wolf Man.
:D

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2014, 02:20:57 AM »
Guesses what her answer was?

I say:
Spoiler for Hidden:
No. (of course)  I love open endings like that.  I like them even more if we never know.  Yeah, I'm that person. :)