Author Topic: Costume Screenshots Advice Wanted  (Read 9984 times)

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
Costume Screenshots Advice Wanted
« on: June 07, 2014, 09:46:36 PM »
As part of my efforts to "Archive EVERYTHING" before shutdown, I scrambled to grab screenshots of all the costume pieces for inclusion in Paragon Wiki (as documented here). Now that we have the glorious tool that is Titan Icon, I can revisit this in a more relaxed and quality-focused manner. (I also have a new computer with a modern video card and larger monitor, which will help make the screenshots look even better.) However, I still only want to have to do this once, so whatever we decide will be seen across thousands of images.

I'm looking for advice as to what color scheme to use for these screenshots. I've already modified the background layers in the costume creator to give me various shades of gray instead of the red-tinted cityscape (similar to this). My main concern is what will look good for the actual costume pieces, taking into account considerations for washed out textures, people with color-blindness, and general aesthetics.

Choice 1
Primary: Red
Secondary: Blue

This was the color scheme I had picked as my favorite on the original run of screenshots. I liked the general aesthetic choice of the good, standard primary colors, the blended areas are easily-distinguished as purple, and the texture details aren't washed out in the blue areas of the chest. The only drawback that I can see is that the colors are a bit dark, which causes textures in shadow (under the armpit) to be hard to see.

Choice 2
Secondary: White

This color scheme was used for several of the existing screenshots of costume pieces, and generally works, too, especially for shadowed areas. The main problems I have are that the textures in the white areas tend to be washed out when illuminated, and some costume pieces have lighter areas baked in which make it hard to distinguish what is tintable with the secondary color.

Choice 6
Primary: Blue
Secondary: Yellow

Choice 3
Primary: Yellow
Secondary: Purple

This color scheme was used for some previous screenshots, and should be okay for color-blindness, but the yellow has some of the same problems as white with being washed out, and it's a bit garish overall. Blended areas are almost skin tone.

Choice 4
Primary: Orange
Secondary: Green

This one just kinda makes my eyes hurt.

Choice 5a
Primary: Teal
Secondary: Violet

This is nice as a non-primary color scheme, but runs into the same problems with dark colors in shadows. Also, I have no idea how this behaves for color-blind people.

Choice 5b
Primary: Violet
Secondary: Teal

Reversed version of 5a, which helps a bit for the shadowed areas.

It'll still be a little while before I'm ready to resume this project, so that'll give people some time to (hopefully) see this thread and weigh in with their votes.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 02:48:54 AM by Blondeshell »

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
Re: Costume Screenshots Advice Wanted
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 11:13:28 PM »
If you are looking for votes of any kind, the white and red works best for me.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 11:37:41 PM »
I used red and white on the pieces I did because of the high contrast. There are relatively few "problem parts" (I would judge 1-5%) that make this option a bad choice.

Red and blue is OK (it would be my second choice), but the rest of them are not archive-attractive at all.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Tacitala

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 12:49:44 AM »
Have you tried seeing how a blue and yellow color combo would work?  That's another classic pairing for color contrast.  Otherwise I would lean towards the red and blue.
"And I, of course, am innocent of all but malice."
- Princess Fiona of Amber

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 01:09:34 AM »
I used blue and yellow when I took screenshots of the pre-selected costume sets (wiki link). It does have good contrast and visibility in shadows, but the blended areas don't make a definitive green as you might expect them to.

Globetrotter

• Boss
  • I am a still Hero and This is what I do!
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 01:31:48 AM »
I like the red and white best.
Gutta cavat lapidem, non vi, sed saepe cadendo.

Steelhelm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 01:41:35 AM »
Yeah, I also think the red and white looks like the best choice out of all of them.

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 02:25:43 AM »
As a color blind person, I find 2 (Red/White) works best for me. 3 (Yellow/Purple) also works well, though not as well as 2. 1 (Red/Blue) is tolerable but not great (I can differentiate them but since they're both dark, it's not very high contrast). Options 4 (Orange/Green), 5a (Teal/Violet) and 5b (Violet/Teal) are all pretty horrible for me; the colors blend together pretty well to my eyes so there's nearly no contrast.

Looking at a few of the screenshots for blue/yellow, it also works well. Better than 3 (yellow/purple). Perhaps tied with 2 (red/white).

So my vote is very strongly for 2 (red/white). And I would strongly advise against 4 or 5a/b.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 02:51:19 AM »
I've added Choice 6 (Blue/Yellow) to the original list, and shrunk the images a bit to make them easier to compare on one screen at the same time.

Upon closer inspection, the blended areas are a bit more noticeably green than I originally thought.

And I do think it's important to have a darker primary color because it'll be more soothing to the eye when viewing all the monochromatic costume pieces.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 02:56:39 AM by Blondeshell »

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 08:35:34 PM »
I think that whatever works best with color blindness is the way to go. Which seems like Red / White, based on Sekoia's post.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 05:52:30 PM »
Having revisited this page several times, I'd say that Blue/Yellow is pretty well on par with Red/White. So either of them would be good choices, I think.

EDIT: Also, this site may be helpful if you want to get a rough idea of how well something might work for various kinds of colorblindness: http://www.color-blindness.com/coblis-color-blindness-simulator/

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 10:12:02 PM »
A question I have: is there already a standard way costumes are imaged on the wiki? If you're going to take pictures of everything, then it doesn't matter (it seems like this is what you're going to do). But if you're only going to fill in, making sure your pics fit is important.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 04:53:22 AM »
A question I have: is there already a standard way costumes are imaged on the wiki?

Nope, definitely not. For example:

If you're going to take pictures of everything, then it doesn't matter (it seems like this is what you're going to do). But if you're only going to fill in, making sure your pics fit is important.

Yes, my goal is to take the highest-quality pictures I can of everything with consistent backgrounds, color schemes, poses, and resolutions. I'm aware that that couldn't really have been done as time went on because the costume creation screen changed multiple times. But we do now have that luxury since there's no further development going on with the game. It's just still gonna take a while to get it done.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 02:12:29 PM »
I assumed that was the case... and I do not envy the task you've set yourself. Is there any way I can help? My computer can probably handle ultra mode in the creator, since the game won't actually be played...

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 05:13:42 AM »
Choice 2
Secondary: White

This color scheme was used for several of the existing screenshots of costume pieces, and generally works, too, especially for shadowed areas. The main problems I have are that the textures in the white areas tend to be washed out when illuminated, and some costume pieces have lighter areas baked in which make it hard to distinguish what is tintable with the secondary color.
This would be my vote... if this is still a thing, anyway.