Author Topic: Why I actually quite like Marvel Heroes  (Read 2849 times)

Harlequin565

• Lieutenant
    • Shuttercount - A Photography site...
Why I actually quite like Marvel Heroes
« on: June 03, 2014, 09:37:00 AM »

Dr. Gemini

• Underling
Re: Why I actually quite like Marvel Heroes
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 05:37:41 AM »
At launch the game was kind of "ehhh", but it struck a cord in me because the attitude and level of communication the devs had with the community reminded me of CoH. I bought an ultimate founder's pack because of that, and I wasn't disappointed. The game has changed by leaps and bounds since launch, and only gotten better.

It's not a replacement for CoH, as the two games are completely different types of games. If you don't like diablo-style ARPGs, then you won't like MH regardless. It does, however, have many of the same appeals CoH held for me. Can be just as easily soloed as grouped. Is very casual friendly. Has several different ways to level. Let's you feel like a superhero by being able to take on mobs of bad guys, not just 3. Has awesome Devs who regularly communicate with the community (including the Dink, who often shows us previews of the new character art she's working on, and, I think, another ex-CoH dev).

Fleur_uk

• Lieutenant
  • @Fleur_Eriss
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 02:01:39 PM »
I did try MH and didn't like it.  Only played it for 15 or so minutes but it just did not appeal to me.  Really glad you're enjoying it! :)

Exxar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 04:44:36 PM »
So I've finally decided to give this one a go. I've picked Colossus as my starting hero and gotten to 20, so far it seems fun but it's starting to get boring as it all comes down to mashing a single AoE power and perhaps a single-target one for bosses. No need for more than one AoE and one ST power. Does it get any different from that?

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 03:55:46 AM »
I was in Marvel Heroes at the startup of the beta, and I've been with it since.  I agree on many of the points above.  It's a very different play experience from City, but being a Diablo 1-3 player from way, way back, I felt it natural to start up with Cyclops and go get busy.  As soon as Gazillion announced the Ultimate Founders program--$200 for all of the heroes available up through launch, with all costumes, and some exclusive stuff never to be offered again like the Symbiote Spider-Man outfit--I was hooked.

In fact, I need to get back to sorting my stash right now.  :)

Would I go back to City?  You bet.  Would City stop me from spending money on Marvel?  That's a tough call, as I do enjoy what each game brings to the table.  They are certainly unique playstyles from each other, although there are distinct parallels.  Luke Cage is a mix of Street Justice and Thugs Mastermind.  Cyclops is a Defender all the way.  Storm is the closest the game has to a Controller so far.  Daredevil, Black Panther, and Spider-Man are definitely Scrappers.

Try it out.  It's a free to play game, and Gazillion is getting better as they keep upgrading it.  One final note, a parting warning: if you plan to stay with Marvel Heroes, you might not want to try to play with a 32-bit operating system.  Currently, there are a number of folks (me among them) having some memory issues with the game due to it simply being more than a 32-bit OS can take.  However, upgrading to a 64-bit OS seems to fix the issue.

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 06:20:30 PM »
Any of you guys the Captain America named City of Heroes?

Harlequin565

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 09:04:33 PM »
So I've finally decided to give this one a go. I've picked Colossus as my starting hero and gotten to 20, so far it seems fun but it's starting to get boring as it all comes down to mashing a single AoE power and perhaps a single-target one for bosses. No need for more than one AoE and one ST power. Does it get any different from that?

Yes.

My experience is that it's really accessible from early on. I started with Storm. I picked powers I liked, spammed them and stuff died. After playing through the story, I got 200 splinters which allowed me a random hero and I got lucky with Ms Marvel. With that character I can choose to tank (they have a Taunt in the game), single target DPS, or AoE DPS. That's when I started looking at the game mechanics and doing what I tried to do in CoX - make a toon that can do everything!

So you can get a hero, spam their powers and melt stuff. Or you can delve into the maths and the min-maxing (which is one of the things i loved about CoX. At work I was in Mids, at home I was in game). The great thing is that you don't have to fully understand everything which is great because the amount of loot in the game is overwhelming at first.

Playing Ms Marvel is definitely not a spam fest. Leap into the mobs, pull them in and nova them, find the boss and start a single target attack chain. When the mobs get too overwhelming, AoE to clear then back to the boss. If health dips, pop the regen power. Playing Storm is a case of rolling my fingers across "asdfg" until my blue bar runs out. Storm is having a revamp soon though....

Ms Marvel is 58 now with 84 hours played according to Steam so it's a vast amount quicker than my first 50 in CoX (An Emp/Psi that hit 50 in 2005 with 400 hours)

Hit me up in-game with a friend invite (I haven't worked out how to do that myself yet) @Mellenta. Have also created the Paragon Titans SG which anyone is welcome to join. It's currently got 1 member. Me :)

I know this game isn't for everyone, but after getting my head around the numbers and seeing the effects of building for certain things (like +Res or +Damage) I'm beginning to enjoy it.

-H

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 09:23:01 PM »
Any of you guys the Captain America named City of Heroes?

Not it.  I'm on there as Tubbius, same as I was on City.  :)  Look me up.

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 01:21:36 PM »
Will do. Am Ozoneprime in game.  :)

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 10:40:15 PM »
do you have to pay for the downloader like in secret world?
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 01:15:51 AM »
MH is 100% completely free. It subsists entirely off completely-optional store purchases and bundles.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 02:52:17 AM »
MH is 100% completely free. It subsists entirely off completely-optional store purchases and bundles.
cool, ty for the information I might check it out :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Harlequin565

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 07:42:55 AM »
If you do decide to, then now would be the time. June is their anniversary month and they have a special gift of 365 items for each account. You need a character to level 30 though.

-H

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 10:49:26 AM »
I installed it, and think it looks much better than when I tried it in Beta, but I am still wanting the Vision as a playable character darn it! :D