Author Topic: Speedsters, Quicksilver and CoH  (Read 1686 times)

Doc Midas

• Underling
Speedsters, Quicksilver and CoH
« on: May 25, 2014, 12:17:34 AM »
Just finished up going to see the new X-Men film and Quicksilver's appearance was a definite highlight. Got me thinking about how it wasn't really possible to put together a very satisfying speedster character in CoH. My son tried to piece together a few option but it never quite did what he was hoping for. Any thoughts on how a speedster could more effectively be brought into the game? (after it returns!!)

-Doc Midas: the Man of Gold

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
Re: Speedsters, Quicksilver and CoH
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 01:43:24 AM »
Just finished up going to see the new X-Men film and Quicksilver's appearance was a definite highlight. Got me thinking about how it wasn't really possible to put together a very satisfying speedster character in CoH. My son tried to piece together a few option but it never quite did what he was hoping for. Any thoughts on how a speedster could more effectively be brought into the game? (after it returns!!)

-Doc Midas: the Man of Gold

I had a number of VERY satisfying speedsters -- the first key was to ignore the speed power set (aside from Super Speed run for distance work) -- next triple slot SPRINT with SO's -- your base sprint run will top 45mph about level 30 and it also boosts your super-speed

-- for AT, Scrapper DARK MELEE! (and I recommend Regen for play satisfaction, but you can go with Super-reflexes if you want speedster purity -- it also makes you faster on your sprint) then you get or have the VIP "Sands of MU" slotted along with your "Dark Melee" "Shadow Maul" and the double super-speed punch power is your main attack (the other two main DM punches are perfectly acceptable) -- ignore "Soul Drain" or any other Dark Melee powers that don't seem to fit

-- take "hover" rather than "flight" to represent the way you "fly" by vibrating the air with your super-speed and you have your speedster character.  You color-select the "Dark Melee" so it doesn't look dark (I color light gold/orange for the attacks). I also rationalized  "siphon life" as a super-speed vibration attack that just happened to regenerate me as well --  perhaps my increased speed sped up my regeneration  :)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 02:02:50 AM by Ohioknight »
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

JKPhage

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 02:39:06 AM »
One of my ideas that I never got around to doing was a speedster with a "light speed" gimmick. Kinetic melee explained away as your character moving so fast that it can't be seen by the naked eye and the movement generating so much kinetic energy that it causes mini shock waves. Think of that first power as the character vibrating their arm at supersonic speeds then thrusting it forward suddenly. It's discharging a huge amount of energy that would be the physical equivalent to getting punched. The long range moves and tier 9 attack are all about vibrating so fast that the air particles start to heat up and take on energy, then giving the burst of super-heated, kinetically charged air a shove towards the target. The secondary could be either Super Reflexes, Regeneration or even Invulnerability. Super Reflexes is a given, Regen could be explained as a super fast metabolism to match the speed, and Invuln could be explained away as your body vibrating so fast that it deflects most typical attacks. It even has a weakness to psionics and energy attacks which would be able to bypass or interfere with the vibrations respectively. Throw in the super speed travel power or, if you had access to it: the prestige sprint with super speed lines stacked with ninja run to avoid the super speed pool all together and make your speedster able to jump higher as well as being nimble and acrobatic. Would make for an awesome setup.

There's also the fact to keep in mind of Synapse/Neuron, the games resident speedsters, both being Elec/Elec blasters. It's definitely more in the vein of The Flash to go with lightning powers, but Elec blasters or melee toons could pull off the gimmick well, especially considering Lightning Rod is essentially a "teleport to location and explode" move, which is very speedster-y. Dark powers could work for a sort of sinister/anti-hero "speed of dark" character if you wanted to put an unusual spin on it. Just to be different, you could even go with a fire power toon, probably something ranged, and play it off as you vibrating quickly and superheating the air around you to generate fire. Add the fire path aura to super speed (or the afore-mentioned ninja run + prestige sprint combo) and you have a speedster that's so fast he sets the ground on fire behind him ala the Delorean.

There's plenty of ideas if you're clever about using them, and I honestly think that the speedster concept is better portrayed by being able to launch attacks quickly and move around fast without getting tired, so as long as your character has high recharge and recovery that's the big thing. It will FEEL like you're playing a speedster then when you can fire off a bunch of high-tier attacks in succession and still be able to keep on trucking. Having high inate defense would help too as that would help avoid a ton of resistance toggles that drain endurance. Can you tell I put a lot of thought into this?

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 08:07:05 PM »
I have to admit I never had a super speed character in city of, I always chose fly, however, in Champions online I have more than a few superspeed. SO I hope to make one in City of.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 08:39:03 PM »
What might have been a cool "superspeed" power that could possibly have worked with the engine would have been a multiple target kind of "blink" power- you'd teleport from one target to the next (up to a certain number of targets that possibly escalated with level) making an attack, then return to your original spot. I'm thinking something along the lines of the Shield Charge power.

I'm not sure how or if that would have worked, but if they could have done it, it could have been a good way to emulate the superspeed/fighting through crowds power displayed in comics.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 01:55:16 AM »
I'll just say that running back and forth across about a half-mile of IP streets every few seconds while I solo fight a massive clump of Dragon Red Ink Tsoo who are grabbing my speed one or two at a time so they can keep up was not only nearly the most fun in the game but I defy anybody to do it and say they don't feel they're really playing a speedster super hero.

I'd run up to the street gang, hit a couple, get my speed grabbed by 2 or 3, then super-speed away before the others could grab, take out the ones who sped after me, then go back to the gang (who have started back towards their victim) and repeat... gangs of 20+ taken down solo in just a few minutes -- what a blast.

Then half the time the vic tells me "maybe I was wrong about capes" or makes a snide "nice costume" comment ... ungrateful jerks.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 02:02:35 AM by Ohioknight »
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 06:31:03 AM »
I always found my Kin/Energy defender to be a fun little ball of speed obsession(siphon everything's speed. EVERYTHING!), even going so far as getting in the top 4 a few times on the Ski slopes on Victory a few years(until eventually bumped off by faster times when I stopped trying to beat my best times...), although she lacked any sense of melee stomping power, and as defenders go she was somewhat lacking when solo until the mid-late 30s(for me anyways...)... But in groups I abused the hell out of her speed buffs/debuffs. Yes, there was also Fulcrum Shift, but I had more fun with the speedyness of the character than the overpowered nature of that one power...

Super Reflexes was almost fast enough to not even need to take Super Speed if you slotted Quickness Sprint and Swift right(and Combat Jumping for at least some verticle movement) which meant you could turn off SS in a fight and still zip around from enemy to enemy quickly if your endurance was running low(especially with Elude up), plus the fact that you were less susceptible to slows with Quickness meaning KotA Caltrop Spam was much less annoying to you(not to mention SR often avoided several of the more annoying attacks from things such as Sappers and the infamous Ghostwidow Death-Holds) And between Quickness and Hasten you could easily recharge heavy hitting attacks pretty quickly no matter the powerset. Probably a Brute would work best purely to abuse the Rage mechanic as an impromptu "momentum" factor to keep you attacking so you don't "lose speed".

As far as fast attacks, Claws while not being very "Speedster" themed were really fast, and could chew through enemies very effectively if played right. Energy Melee and Kinetic Melee might be better choices for theme, and I agree that Shadow Melee could also be tweeked as well if you messed with the power colors enough, but for the most part the game as it stood required a little open mindedness for you to make certain types of characters fit those themes but that's what made the game so great; there was always a little "wiggle room" to insert your own theme on a powerset if you were creative enough.