Author Topic: Project Bane  (Read 55069 times)

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
Re: Project Bane
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2015, 09:19:46 PM »
Sadly I'm back late will get to the videos ASAp, had to meet with one of my course groups to discuss a group project, then other distractions including food shopping intervened.

I guess I should stop putting deadlines on thing and just release it when able ;)

will record the game animations tomorrow, day was too long.

Edit:

Lol so up until now I hadn't rigged the hands, and this was intentional to save time as it could be done later, I decided later might as well be now so I can do hand anims too. I began making the bones and then realized one thumb was shorter than another, sure enough the right hand didn't undergo the same effects I did to the left hand when building it, so I'm gonna have to put in the knuckles and make the vertices symmetrical to the finished hand. EDIT: FIXED

I was planning to make more animations than I currently have before showing, (have 3 at the moment 2 idle anims and one power anim.), but my schedule seems eaten up by school and work.

YAY Sunday is free! I'm sure I can get the videos up today!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 10:40:47 AM by Joshex »
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Alpha Series

• Lieutenant
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2015, 08:41:55 PM »
Well done,Joshex! Amazing you find time to do any work on this project with all you have going on! I wish you the best with all your projects and work!  Rock on, you super hero!

Sincerely, Alpha
"You've started an interstellar war!" "No, I didn't start it. But I'm liable to finish it."

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2015, 12:05:10 AM »
Well done,Joshex! Amazing you find time to do any work on this project with all you have going on! I wish you the best with all your projects and work!  Rock on, you super hero!

Sincerely, Alpha

Thanks!

And as promised I ade a short video of some of the current animations, including one I added in tonight to honor Leonard Nemoy.

going to have to make a few adjustments here and there but at least he's moving. the hands can make a nice fist too, I'll make another video just showing the fist close up so people can see clearly. Took lots of work the hands especially, but that's normal.

http://youtu.be/kFPmJz2KHfQ

Emote/ attack Animation requests? If I know what I'm aiming for I can typically pump simple anims out in 10 minutes to half an hour depending on the amount of frames.

Maybe a picture of the fist is better:

« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 12:28:47 AM by Joshex »

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2015, 06:54:12 AM »
Nice, thanks for the video.

I was just interested to see what the animations would look like LOL!

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2015, 12:18:07 AM »
Essays, Essays and graphical work and more graphical work lol. I get to use the character model for something this term, he will be getting some outfits and hair selections over the next few weeks.

I'm monkeying with shapekeys too, I've gotten them to work in the Game engine before but I tried last night to no avail, I think I know what went wrong though.

I hope to have a character designer, set-up for next term along with basic game-play examples. For speed I will be making it offline for the time being, I can just punch things into server messages later and switch the statistical calcs to the server side. easy to say it than do it though lol...

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2015, 11:13:41 PM »
Re-tested shapekeys, I had obviously forgotten a few steps, works wonderfully now. just need to apply these skills to the model when I get a chance.

I used shapekeys to make a test for a resizable 3D window in the game, works great, but I'll have to set boundaries for stuff in the window, pictures will have to scale with it as I have no ability at present to do cut-offs for anything other than text.

limitations, so far the only real limitations are ;
1: you can't use 2 shapekeys at the same time if they use the same verticies. (can't blend shapes, it will always start with the basis shape)
2: you can't add verticies to a shape later on in the shape animation or it's ignored (shapekeys don't control added or deleted verticies!)

what this means, non-muscular body possible? yes. male to female slider possible? No (at least not without adding in the extra points from the start, but that might make some male parts look funny), individual body part control? yes using vertex groups.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2015, 09:39:09 PM »
Delay encountered;

I just spent the last 2 days doing all-nighters to produce enough graphical assets to make a presentation for my masters degree, to be honest some of the stuff can be used for the game but some is way too high poly, I'm sure I can adapt it later but for now it's irrelevant to the game.

procrastination on schoolwork is bad, yes I got it done in time but it was rough and I wish I had given myself more time.

end result is I have 3 months till my final presentation I also have 1 essay to write in the next 2 days, and one to rewrite over the next 7 days, then 2 to proofread over the same period, I will be focusing 100% of my work on getting it done so there may be no decent updates here for a while.

The end result is; I will be unable to meet the august deadline I made for the beta. too much to do, too little time. I will have nothing to do come September onwards so I look forwards to something serious this fall or winter.

For the purpose of making myself do less effort, the game will need encryption, I've gone over several communication and bot-testing methods to largely do-without encryption however log-ins and other sensitive data will need to be encrypted, for that reason if someone here knows a good encryption system (I know codewalker seems to know a lot about blowfish) please do explain it here and I'll pick which method seems the easiest to do while yielding the strongest encryption.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2015, 07:28:55 PM »
Working on my own encryption key style, I suppose it's similar to blowfish (did some research on it) I just want to know if anyone can read this:

Ic9dp73tN201li6428Ex12345

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2015, 02:07:27 PM »
Working on my own encryption key style, I suppose it's similar to blowfish (did some research on it) I just want to know if anyone can read this:

Ic9dp73tN201li6428Ex12345

Sure. It says: "I see 90 pee, 's even t' nitro one. Lithium 64, 28 ex." And then... hey, that's my luggage combination!
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2015, 05:52:39 PM »
Sure. It says: "I see 90 pee, 's even t' nitro one. Lithium 64, 28 ex." And then... hey, that's my luggage combination!

thanks! the feedback helps! looks like the encryption key works.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2015, 08:24:13 PM »
thanks! the feedback helps! looks like the encryption key works.

Just gonna throw it out there that I was joking, and have no knowledge of how to do anything with encryption keys. So I would not base any judgement of it "working" on my post, since I just used phonetics to make stuff up.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2015, 10:52:01 PM »
Just gonna throw it out there that I was joking, and have no knowledge of how to do anything with encryption keys. So I would not base any judgement of it "working" on my post, since I just used phonetics to make stuff up.

I know, I was trying to taunt some of the code breakers here to have a go to prove me wrong after I said my model works.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2015, 07:46:43 AM »
So, back to making the environment for now, working on sky box stuff, so far so good. I plan to make it so the player almost never sees the same sky unless it's a clear blue sky.

I'm satisfied with the initial clouds made, albeit digitally generated textures.

next I need buildings to go with my roads.

drawing out building part silhouettes, got a few. will play city/icon to see if there's any basic designs I missed.

missed a few basic attributes but now have a full list.

half the list has geometry, working on the rest of the list.

making building bases 3D. to clarify this is just the bottom portion of buildings connecting to the ground. what I wouldn't give to have my kick-ass brick texture off my linux hard drive, I foresaw this day and saved it to a zip-drive, but to no avail I accidentally left it in the USA during the rush to get my belongings into the car before heading to the airport. oh well, I'll have to remake it.

of course, the smarter thing to do would have been to take some pictures of the shape's usages in the game.... going back in for round 2.

screenshots folder... sad. deceased friends' SG base on Freedom. Got the pictures in right before SG rent was due for the last time.

Main building exterior parts Done. Texture time, time to remake those bricks!.

Went out and got some texture references from IRL. will also search photobucket for a picture of my old brick map, failed not on photobucket. oh well, those bricks had a very distinctive texture. just have to search for something similar.

Well, I decided I just can't do without that specific brick texture (it's one of those things I just can't let go) so I will ask family to send it to me. Next I have decided to test out battle stuff in the Game engine, it's a really simple set-up and could realistically become the meat of the server representation of characters and enemies.

I am nearly finished programming movement and status effects for the battle system, after that Defense and Res and other (New) stats.

Last step was to add in a typing movement lock, so when the player is typing arrow keys and w,a,s,d,x and SPACE will not cause motion.

now to make the hit and damage doc.

Listing out value holders and stat boxes. the goal will be to keep stats in live memory rather than burn out a hard-drive with excessive read write operations.

many more stat boxes to go, I might decide to do them on separate objects the list is longer than 1 screen length, gonna make it hard to link the bricks.

funny thing noticed from mids, CoX had no Status Effect Defense...... it had protection based on magnitude but that's a different system, defense is percent based, I suppose they deemed that would make it too hard for the effects to hit unless the attack was pure/primarily [hold] etc.

the question is, I have a system with BOTH status defense and status protection, is this too much? I suppose that's why I'm making the battle system to test the ability to hit with various things. so I guess I'll just keep making it my way and see if it's a fair system.

4:35pm 4/29/15: in order to begin I've had to finish listing out all possible statistics and effects and now move on to programming targeting ETC. after that i should be able to tie it all together and give it a go, but ti may be a longer process than said.

for ease I have begun timing my edits, though edits before this one have not been timed.

12:05pm 4/30/15 : I redid the stat boxes, separating them out onto different objects by group so that each is less than a page long (more manageable).

Began programming the targeting. there will be around 6 or 7 different Tab targeting types.

1:10 pm 5/2/15: I don't know why but for some reason I end up working all over the place, I made an Icon for an item and started working on making better tutorial mission texts. I decided rather than try to tell a story just introduce the player to the game environment.

5:00 pm 5/3/15: after a few days of doing other things because I kept looking at the character control cube and the stat boxes and going "??? what now.." I think I finally get it, in fact I wish I had gotten this back when I wrote the server, this will be A LOT easier to handle. Well no rush eh? might as well redo the server in this simplified method.

Ok being less cryptic the new method does all the player handles on a player specific control cube, the only question left is how to import each player's control cube with logic from the already present control cubes already linked to it.

the obvious answer is to create a router object on each map which takes name data from objects that send a request to it's controllers and uses that to route info to and from player/enemy objects. there in are some problems that I'll have to figure out.

11:14 5/5/15: today my goal is to create the start of this chain in the new server model, the logon to character spawn for character identification, so long as the router can identify what character is doing what then we have a functioning multi-player environment.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 10:16:44 AM by Joshex »

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2015, 10:34:24 PM »
So, I have a few minor interruptions, writing a pHD proposal for someone.. that is mind numbingly hard.

I wrote out a definitive list of things I need to accomplish to get the game playable for august, albeit in single player mode without the networking for a degree show.

Fun hectic times. I figured out how CoX did their power levels, each power level can be split into a certain number of points, these points are spent on things like Damage intensity, effects, distribution types (DoT AoE ETC.) and cast/recharge speed. using that same system I was able to develop a system to make fair 'power-sets'. Though my game doesn't adhere strictly to this concept. I suppose that's the only hint I'll give so far as to how it differs from CoX.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2015, 08:58:54 AM »
not so fun times now. no idea what to say, depressed. at least I don't have to work on the persons PhD proposal any more, they aren't talking to me.

but at least for today I have no mood to work on anything.

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2015, 01:07:55 PM »
My condolences about your depression, and good luck with the rest of project Bane when you get back to working on it :)

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2015, 10:09:59 AM »
My condolences about your depression, and good luck with the rest of project Bane when you get back to working on it :)

thanks, it means a lot.  yesterday I got through the worst of it I think, might be rough time to time but I gotta finish this project if I want the time and money spent on this masters degree to not go to waste.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2015, 06:14:37 PM »
Tutorial Text Finished, I'm quite happy with it, is 9 missions too much? should I round it to 10?

For my degree show the game will only have the tutorial area. and I'm going to avoid Text importation for mission text and use images instead (saves time and headaches).

gotta ignore life's downs and just keep working, if I pick the easy road I can do this.

My degree show will be held in Edinburgh, Scotland sometime in August-ish , as my programme is a research programme the professor has decided it's best to wait till everyone is ready before putting a final date or location on the degree show. There is a possibility that it will only take place for 1 day, I will keep people informed as much ahead of time as possible.

However for anyone wishing to play the game tutorial who cannot make it on that day; I am considering putting it on display at "Games Hub" in Edinburgh for a few more days depending on how many requests there are to play it, how many people can make it, and peoples schedules, and pending Games Hub's agreement to let me operate the tutorial there (I have not even asked yet and they have no clue unless they are reading this).

I will keep people informed, and again thankyou for your support, in many ways!

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2015, 10:28:18 PM »
Actually getting in a good enough mood to do anything other than write out powers for sets seems hard. then again I do need sets written out so I'm not stumped in the game.

Still thinking how I'll do the powers and power sets physically in the game, even if I leave them as an external list to be referenced their values still need to sit in a box somewhere for reference during game play. The only thing I can think of is something I don't want to do (Make each power it's own object), the other alternative is to make the Power Bar slots store this data for the powers connected to them, I suppose that's the best way. I better write it down so I don't have to rethink it and come to the same answer again later.

I've only written out 3 power sets (and not fully at that, most are just filled out to what players can achieve in the tutorial, or maybe a bit more than that).

only one set sparked my curiosity to see what I would use to fill it out, so one set is written out completely. so far it's just melee and armor sets, I need to focus on ranged now.

Complex game lol, I hope people don't find the character design too time consuming.

Side note, gotta remove a character reference from the tutorial and replace them, I just noticed that I didn't include the character I spent last semester designing, I should at least show this character as a main character to link my degree together.

6:48 pm 5/19/2015: Reworking the def and res numbers, seems they follow a more complex point system not as straight forwards as attacks. (I'm getting inspiration from mids numbers, problem is unlike attacks there seems to be less rules to what goes on, for example one set will have Lv 1 Smash lethal (30/30) where as others will have (10/10), and others will have Smash Lethal psionic (22.5/22.5/20) Confusing if you're trying to tier up some 'points' that various def power components are worth. I've already established that Click type def powers are free and toggles are +1 cost, and auto are +2 cost I'll just have to work out the rest slowly.

Seems to be the concept of "hallmarking" certain sets have their hallmarks and that effects the point distribution, now to figure out a method to reproduce this point distribution.

11:09 AM 5/20/2015: Study concludes: CoH Attacks balance out on a level basis, CoH Armor balances out on a whole power-set basis!

that makes the job hard, gonna have to get a full tally of the whole set and split and tier it out by level to find some sort of common ground I can use as a rule to distribute res and def.

9:12 pm 5/20/2015: screw attack that. gonna just get the highest yield use that and use the extra points to add set specific hallmarks.

11:59 AM 5/21/2015: New day: New Strategy.

I think I finally figured out the rules used to balance the armor powers in CoH, 8 points per power, click -0, toggle -1, auto -2, split(3 damage types) +0.6, Split(4 DTs) +?.?? [figuring this one out now], Effects Share original 8 points, could be (res, 4) (effect, 4) could be (res 5) (def 3)

each point corresponds to a set value on a value grid, so far this system can reproduce CoH Res power rules. the def values in the grid still need adjusting as does the Magnitude values

12:39 pm: OK got a fully working res power balancing system.

according to the numbers in Mids, using a points grid to determine values; if res is split into less than 3 damage types it adds nothing to the purchasing points, if it's split in 3 it adds 0.6 (making the total points 8.6), it seems they award more points for splitting by 3's so next is splitting the res by 6 which gives +1.2 (9.2).

the grid I'm using attributes so many points to different levels of damage/res/HP/heal ETC. 1 point is Weak, 2 points is minor, 3 points is moderate, 5 points is high (I decided to skip 4 cause it made it too easy to get high damage ETC) 6 points Very High, 7 points Extreme ETC.

Now to finish these sets and list them all out in a database for reference, then I can spend time fixing the tutorial text, then... next is between making all these power animations OR Finish programming the stat system in-game OR make textures and finish buildings then make Tutorial Area OR Finish the windows and add text spawn spots and rules.

so much to do, 3 months to do it! mega cram time.

11:45 5/22/2015: I need to stop posting things when I'm A: tired, or B: bored, and C: Not fully done with my calculations.

I woke up today and the rules doesn't work fully, gonna have to redo it but I have a method for it to work, cap is 90 so unenhanced res powers shouldn't total more than 50% excluding MoG, which damage types add up to 50 depends on the set, it could be 2 types, could be 3, could be 4 ETC. depends on the hallmark of the set.

This means it's not in direct relation to a points system, so I can scratch def and res off the grid and do them manually.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 10:51:41 AM by Joshex »

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2015, 10:35:18 AM »
Fixed the tutorial text! I'm happy with it.

Finished one armor set, got ranged sets and a few more melee sets to go that and manipulation.

once I'm done with that I'll be ready to stat plugging things in and finishing the programing of stat calcs.

I will be taking a trip to venice tomorrow for school, kinda like a field-trip. will only be there for a week, hopefully I can get some work done in the off hours.

I will work again in the afternoon when I return from a short list of errands in town. hopefully I can finish the sets today!