Author Topic: X-Men: Days of Future Past  (Read 5912 times)

Shenku

• Elite Boss
Re: X-Men: Days of Future Past
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2014, 11:41:16 PM »
In the original films, Mystique made it to the present without dying so something changed the timeline BEFORE (relatively speaking) Mystique ever killed Trask.

I don't recall them saying she died in any of the movie's explanations/flashbacks, just that she was captured and imprisoned.

I suppose it's possible that she was killed because something/someone had changed events before Logan, but since I don't recall any actual mention of her death, what's to say they couldn't have simply kept her alive during their research of her DNA allowing for Magneto to eventually find and free her and thus allowing her to be present for the original 3 movies... But since they essentially hit the massive restart button on the franchise, that's all moot point now anyways, isn't it?

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2014, 06:21:24 AM »
One thing I don't get from this film.

Assuming this is the first time they go to the past and change it - then in the original timeline, which has the first three films, where are the Sentinels?

They had them in 1973 and they used DNA to make the adaptive ones - then why weren't then persecuting mutants in the original films?
Its possible in the original timeline they were kept more secret.  In fact, until Wolverine started tampering with the timeline, the movie suggested that the US government was going to pass on the Sentinel project and Trask was going to other governments to fund the research.  Its possible in the original timeline when Trask was killed his researchers continued the project in secret for a substantial amount of time, because they knew the old Mark I Sentinels were already obsolete due to Mystique's DNA.  Without Trask himself trying to evangelize the technology the Sentinel project basically went to sleep until much later.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2014, 06:31:39 AM »
I don't recall them saying she died in any of the movie's explanations/flashbacks, just that she was captured and imprisoned.

I suppose it's possible that she was killed because something/someone had changed events before Logan, but since I don't recall any actual mention of her death, what's to say they couldn't have simply kept her alive during their research of her DNA allowing for Magneto to eventually find and free her and thus allowing her to be present for the original 3 movies... But since they essentially hit the massive restart button on the franchise, that's all moot point now anyways, isn't it?
Trask himself says he wanted a lot of tissue samples from Mystique, including brain tissue.  And he had a history of killing the mutants he experimented on.  But its possible in the original timeline where he was killed that the scientists that continued his research were more cautious, not wanting to kill the golden goose, and kept her alive.  Eventually, we know Magneto himself escapes confinement (because he also is free in the 90s at the time of the first X-Men movie) and with Magneto on the loose, its possible he somehow managed to break Mystique free as well.

There is the question of why Magneto allowed the Sentinel research to continue; if he manages to free Mystique at some point then its likely he knew she was being held by scientists.  But its possible he didn't know what their research was about, and didn't care at that time - he might have thought it was base experimentation of the kind he himself suffered in the past.  In fact, there's a subtle (unintentional) hint that Magneto *did* know at least some of what was going on.  In X2 Magneto is shown to be aware of William Stryker and at least moderately familiar with some of his activities.  Perhaps when Trask died in the original timeline its Stryker that initially continues working with Trask Industries, before eventually branching out on his own when he decides that the Trask goal of creating adaptive robotic Sentinels - a task that is taking decades - is not the answer, and he decides to form the Weapon X project.  There's a certain logic to Magneto freeing Mystique from Trask Industries when Stryker was still there and thus aware of his proclivities.  When Stryker's research facility was destroyed and Stryker himself (probably) courtmartialed from the military at the end of X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Magneto probably thought he'd heard the last of him.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2014, 11:36:20 PM »
Its possible in the original timeline they were kept more secret.  In fact, until Wolverine started tampering with the timeline, the movie suggested that the US government was going to pass on the Sentinel project and Trask was going to other governments to fund the research.  Its possible in the original timeline when Trask was killed his researchers continued the project in secret for a substantial amount of time, because they knew the old Mark I Sentinels were already obsolete due to Mystique's DNA.  Without Trask himself trying to evangelize the technology the Sentinel project basically went to sleep until much later.

That's not even getting into the fact that there was an African American Trask alive and well in one of the other films.
That cannot be explained by any kind of time travel by Wolverine.
Nor can it explain 2 different Moira MacTaggerts both the same age in 1973 and in 2003 or so.

Sadly First Class made a mess out of the continuity.
Its too bad since they could have had a nice continuity with al the films -

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2014, 12:11:19 AM »
That's not even getting into the fact that there was an African American Trask alive and well in one of the other films.
That cannot be explained by any kind of time travel by Wolverine.
Nor can it explain 2 different Moira MacTaggerts both the same age in 1973 and in 2003 or so.

Sadly First Class made a mess out of the continuity.
Its too bad since they could have had a nice continuity with al the films -

Trask could have had children or siblings, or a living spouse.

As for the Moira ... I wouldn't have made her a secret agent in First Class, but it is relatively possible that the doctor version was a cousin or other relative named after First Class' Moira.