Author Topic: All Good Things...  (Read 1540 times)

primeknight

• Boss
All Good Things...
« on: May 23, 2014, 02:26:11 AM »
Tomorrow is is the 20th anniversary of the airing of Star Trek TNG's series finally. 

TNG was one of those series that came out at a time in my life where it helped to shape who I am and what I believe in.  It's probably a big part of why I started playing City of ... in the first place. 

There's so much sci fi out now, but at the time TNG was THE show and it paved the way for 3 later Trek shows and 4 movies and a lot of what came after.  Next Gen is still so popular that the board game industry is still selling the ship designs created back then.   There's a resurgence of Trek right now, with no apparent direction, but back 20 years ago Trek had vision.  And the direction of Trek exemplified our culture admirably:

The sky's the limit.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: All Good Things...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 05:36:09 AM »
This post makes me feel older...
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 07:31:37 AM »
What makes me feel old is remembering that I saw Sailor Moon 21 years ago at my first anime con, unsubbed/dubbed.  The remastered, subbed and unedited version is now on Hulu at a rate of one a week.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 11:41:28 PM »
Was a decent finale story but was tired of TNG by then. That last season was pretty bad barring a few good episodes.

Though one thing doesn't make sense - if the wave or whatever travels backwards in time, then when Picard and Beverly go to the spot of the origin the first time - it should be there, and NOT be there when they go back later in the show, since it is traveling backwards in time.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 12:54:31 AM »
Technically the wave was expanding in both directions through time... it's all rather convoluted in all honesty,. the real plot whole is how the time hole could be caused by two enterprises and a pasteur but could only be resolved by three enterprises.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 03:41:55 AM »
It's been awhile, but I thought it wasn't the exact ships that were important, but rather the convergence of three crazy particle beams at the same point reversing the polarity of the tachyon flow because Science or something.  Thankfully, there was Q, so any inconsistencies can be chalked up to reality bending wizardry, even if that selfless bastion of honesty insisted it was all Picard's fault.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 10:19:17 PM »
It's been awhile, but I thought it wasn't the exact ships that were important, but rather the convergence of three crazy particle beams at the same point reversing the polarity of the tachyon flow because Science or something.  Thankfully, there was Q, so any inconsistencies can be chalked up to reality bending wizardry, even if that selfless bastion of honesty insisted it was all Picard's fault.

If it was Doctor Who, I'm sure it would have been the Neutron flow that was reversed causing a wibbly wobbly timey wimey mess.

As it is, I blame Species 8472.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

BadWolf

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 07:29:14 PM »
I still think the whole thing should have ended with Picard flipping Q the bird and telling him to leave his species the hell alone. :) Seriously, Q expects a thank you card for dropping hints as to the answer to the extinction-level intelligence test his species has posed for humanity for Reasons? That's like me locking someone in my cedar closet and expecting thanks because I hid a key somewhere in the room.