Author Topic: Batman vs. Superman: Bat-suit and Batmobile  (Read 17316 times)

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
Batman vs. Superman: Bat-suit and Batmobile
« on: May 13, 2014, 08:49:20 PM »
So yesterday, Zach Snyder tweeted a teaser shot of the Batmobile, and said he'd tweet the real deal "tomorrow", which is today. So here it is (hi-res shot here).

Not a fan of the short ears, but I like the rest of the suit. It goes back to looking more like his "normal" appearance and not the ultra-realistic Bat-inspired commando of the Nolan films. Can't see much of the car, but it too looks like it's going back to what we know the Batmobile to look like. Affleck looks goofier in this suit than he did in Daredevil. He doesn't look mean, he looks pouty. I just don't see myself taking him seriously.

Anyway, enough of my rambling; thoughts?

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: Batman vs. Superman: Bat-suit and Batmobile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 09:03:04 PM »
Can't see it well enough to judge...
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 09:15:50 PM »
Here's another shot of the car. It's mostly under a cover, but you can get an idea of the general shape, length, etc.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 12:38:30 AM »
when I look at that second shot, all I can think of is watching the schlocky batmobile from Batman and Robin and watching it's nasty plexiglass tails bounce as it drove around.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 02:08:27 AM »
when I look at that second shot, all I can think of is watching the schlocky batmobile from Batman and Robin and watching it's nasty plexiglass tails bounce as it drove around.

I think if you look closely and compare the two shots, you will see that the "nasty plexiglass tails" effect is an unfortunate perspective issue -- that's some form of flat panel-armor or something on actuators.
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 04:40:54 AM »
I was thinking more of a cross between the Tumbler's aesthetic (all the plates and angles, etc) with the '89 shape. One of the articles I read said it looked more like the Batmobile form Morrison and Quietly's run in the comics that could also fly. Not sure how they get this:

From the above pics posted earlier.

Magus Prime

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 06:59:13 AM »
Agreed on the ears.  Those are totally Catwoman ears.  Not crazy about the insignia either.  Looks cartoony.  When Snyder revealed that Batman would be in the sequel, they showed the S shield over the bat emblem and I thought there was no way that they were going to use that logo.  Lo and behold I was wrong.  To paraphrase a line from Kingdom Come, "The trust you engendered is fast eroding."

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 09:24:13 AM »
Agreed on the ears.  Those are totally Catwoman ears.  Not crazy about the insignia either.  Looks cartoony.  When Snyder revealed that Batman would be in the sequel, they showed the S shield over the bat emblem and I thought there was no way that they were going to use that logo.  Lo and behold I was wrong.  To paraphrase a line from Kingdom Come, "The trust you engendered is fast eroding."
Trusting that they'll do what you want to do and not what they are telegraphing they are going to do is an odd form of trust.

Magus Prime

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 10:54:55 AM »
Trusting that they'll do what you want to do and not what they are telegraphing they are going to do is an odd form of trust.

I think that might be an oversimplification.  I loved Man of Steel and was really excited upon the first announcement that Batman would be in the next film.  Snyder and team set a glide path for success and I felt like the franchise was in good hands.  Then the news that Affleck was going to play Batman shook my faith initially although I warmed up to the idea not long after.  Then I hear about Wonder Woman's involvement and I'm dubious about possibly having too many cooks in the kitchen, so to speak.  And finally, along comes Jessie Eisenberg to play Lex Luthor.  At this point, I'm shaking my head and shrugging my shoulders. 

In any case, I'll thank you not to be so quick to judge and as quick to condescend.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 12:01:38 PM »
Saw an enhanced pic of the suit over at Nodwick.com and I like the form.  I need to see it in colour though.  Hoping we get some contrast with the emblem - Batman is not Metallica, nor is he spending a year dead for tax purposes.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 01:20:57 PM »
I like it, it's a brave choice for a Batman movie costume, literally every other incarnation of the cinematic suit has been one thing: black rubber armor with tall ears. From what I can tell we've got a very comic book faithful costume, gray on black colors, and the short ears featured heavily in Batman's origins, 60s show, Frank Millers work, etc etc. The short ears are as much Batman as the longer ears are.

Very excited about seeing more of this suit and the Batmobile, I think they both look fantastic in these teasers.

About the tail fin from the previous movies looking cheap and wobbly, I suspect that's because they were cheap and wobbly. The Batmobile from Batman and Robin was extremely over the top, anytime it moved everything shook. The tail fin on this one appears to be machined metal, I doubt it will wobble like the cheap plastic fins on the B&R batmobile.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 08:09:13 PM »

It's funny you should say that about the ears. My first thought was Catman:

I guess I'm just not a fan of them cause that's not what I grew up with, so they look weird to me. Even though I grew up in Kelley Jones' era of 6ft tall ears, those were also really unappealing. Even the ones in the Arkham games were a bit tall for my taste. Origins got it right. The insignia (and the logo you mention) looks like it's supposed to be an homage to The Dark Knight Returns. I just hope this movie isn't going to be a film version of that book.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 08:41:12 PM »
My first thought was The Dark Knight Returns:

Short ears, big bat, no yellow, beefy guy.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 12:08:42 AM »
My first thought was The Dark Knight Returns:

Short ears, big bat, no yellow, beefy guy.
I woulda thought that, except for the sulky pouty posture
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 01:10:05 AM »

;D
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 01:31:34 AM »

Reading a lot into a single frame, aren't you?
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 05:41:03 AM »
In any case, I'll thank you not to be so quick to judge and as quick to condescend.
Its generally a bad idea to accuse me of something I'm not doing.  It compels me to demonstrate the difference.

Magus Prime

• Boss
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 09:32:49 AM »
Its generally a bad idea to accuse me of something I'm not doing.  It compels me to demonstrate the difference.

I cordially challenge you to prove my ignorance. Intent notwithstanding, your verbiage falls short of making any other point than to belittle me and/or my opinion.

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 01:08:07 PM »
Yeah honestly that pose is pure Batman, sure its fine to argue against Superman, Spiderman, Iron Man, any of those guys being moody and pouty, but that's pure Bats. Also this is very much a teaser shot, he was trying to hide details while giving us overall impressions of the suit, which worked.

This is easily one of the best constructed superhero costume previews ever, they are generally either really bad publicity shots or set shots which look awful. It really takes a lot of cinematography to make superhero suits not look silly.

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 04:49:17 PM »
I have to agree, that pose is an absolute no go...
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.