Author Topic: So, I've been out of the loop for a while.  (Read 1712 times)

Matt Bold

• Lieutenant
So, I've been out of the loop for a while.
« on: April 30, 2014, 12:10:05 AM »
So I have purposely distanced myself from the community for a long while in hopes that one day I could come back and there would be some sort of relief.  COH was the ONLY game to EVER *click* with me.  I have tried countless other MMOs and nothing seems to fill the void of making a hero and beating the bejesus out of tons of enemies.

Is there a community consensus on another game that fills the void?  I know other spiritual successors are in the works, and people get a lot of backlash asking about a private server.  Has anyone found anything that speaks to them like CoH did?

Little David

• Boss
    • The Ad Ultimum Network
Re: So, I've been out of the loop for a while.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 04:59:50 AM »
Not yet, unfortunately. I think the closest we'll ever come to that is one of the successor games. I've had my eye on City of Titans (which I helped back) and Valiance Online (which I've only recently noticed). It's going to be a year before we see something out of City of Titans, possibly longer (rare is the development project that goes as planned!). Valiance Online has been allowing people to play their game as they develop it, but they're still in the pre-alpha phase, so there's not much to do other than admire the progress they're making.

I'm hoping that by the time City of Titans starts rolling out their perks, and especially by the time the game is available to play, that UE4 will either have XP support through Open GL (as I've seen discussed by several Epic Games devs at their own forums) or that I'll have a separate dedicated gaming rig running Linux. Otherwise I'll just look forward to Valiance Online (which is still XP friendly so far and looks utterly amazing for a game built in Unity 3D).

thunderforce

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 03:03:19 PM »
Is there a community consensus on another game that fills the void?

No, but I get the impression the single largest contingent of ex-CoXers is in Champions Online; global chat there is cross-game with STO and NWN, and there is a cross-game CoX global chat channel.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 10:46:19 PM »
Well there is this: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,9675.0.html
Negotiations are currently under way to acquire and relaunch City of Heroes. At this point it seems that NCsoft is interested in selling the game and the potential buyers think the price is reasonable and are committed to reviving the game we knew and loved. Now if this deal happens it would probably be at least several months after the purchase before the game was live again. In the meantime i've tried at least a dozen MMOs and none have been close to what i liked about CoH. Some are fun in their own way, but all have fallen short of what i would like to find.

In any event my hopes for a worthwhile successor to CoH have mostly been vested in City of Titans. Valiance Online and Heroes and Villains have potential as well.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

thunderforce

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 11:34:24 AM »
Well there is this: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,9675.0.html

I admit I'm wondering what will happen if Hail Mary finds themselves with the CoX IP in search of an engine and a Phoenix project finds itself with an engine and a ton of content to write. But, aren't we all?

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 01:19:41 AM »
I admit I'm wondering what will happen if Hail Mary finds themselves with the CoX IP in search of an engine and a Phoenix project finds itself with an engine and a ton of content to write. But, aren't we all?
It could be a match made in one of two places is my best guess. Which one is the part i'm less sure of. Too many variables.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Matt Bold

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 01:53:32 PM »
Thanks for the reply everyone!  I have to read that thread, who is Iron Wolf?

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 05:44:51 PM »
Me!

The whole thing in a nutshell in CoH speak:

TF Hail Mary stalled not enough people left to defeat the AV. I stepped in and helped debuff the rumors with my Water/Dark Corr. and buffed the work with Howling Twilight rezzing the project. Once I had everyone back on their feet - I called in for assistance in team chat and Chris Chung popped in and gave us more information on the AV.

Now we knew how to defeat the AV and just needed a few Inspirations and a second team joined us as a league. Now we have the Influence (money), a full team and finally we know where the contact spawns and when.

So now once the contact is dealt with we can finally defeat the AV and pray that we don't wipe.

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 05:54:00 PM »
Me!

The whole thing in a nutshell in CoH speak:

TF Hail Mary stalled not enough people left to defeat the AV. I stepped in and helped debuff the rumors with my Water/Dark Corr. and buffed the work with Howling Twilight rezzing the project. Once I had everyone back on their feet - I called in for assistance in team chat and Chris Chung popped in and gave us more information on the AV.

Now we knew how to defeat the AV and just needed a few Inspirations and a second team joined us as a league. Now we have the Influence (money), a full team and finally we know where the contact spawns and when.

So now once the contact is dealt with we can finally defeat the AV and pray that we don't wipe.

Fanastically described  ;)