Author Topic: 10th Anniversary plans?  (Read 5105 times)

therain93

• Elite Boss
10th Anniversary plans?
« on: April 22, 2014, 01:26:21 PM »
Any plans for the 10th anniversary of CoX's launch, either in-game or out?

Unfortunately, in TESO, the /torch emote is bugged and while you can light fires in SWTOR, there is no player-accessible emote.
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
Re: 10th Anniversary plans?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 04:03:30 PM »
I have to work that day, but I'll make a play list of all COH music I have and torture myself by listening to it. May design a new Anniversary toon. I did one every year that played for the month of the Anniversary exclusive.  The last one for me was A Peacebringer named Ms. Ann E Versity

My favorite was the first Major Anniversary:

I renamed him to Ice in Flames after the month  was over and reserved the name so I could use it again. He was a lot of fun to play and actually made it to 50.

So maybe I'll do a version for this year and post it here.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 05:51:32 PM »
So here is year's Major Anniversary.

After the month's celebration he would be have been renamed Centurion X. I can't really bring myself to do a bio for him, but probably a lost Roman colony transported to a distant star whose descendant is looking for his lost home.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

chasearcanum

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 09:12:42 PM »
I was tempted to celebrate the anniversary  finishing a few long-dead comics- a kind of psychotic nostalgia given how much I cursed at demorecording back in the day.  Instead I spent the week waxing nostalgic in my CoH folder.

I posted the few of the old "Issue Guides" that I did over at a not-a-blog dumping ground (http://patternsinthestatic.blogspot.com/search/label/Comics ) in case anyone else is looking for a nostalgic moment.  I suggest "save to desktop" rather than viewing from google docs- the color seems to get rather bad for CoH.

Maressa

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 12:03:15 AM »
Sorry, the usual event planner (me) is having a rough week and didn't plan anything special. I did write an article though. http://www.mmogames.com/gamearticles/10-things-miss-10th-anniversary-city-heroes/

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 04:37:35 AM »
I read that article. Very, very nice. I miss every one of those things and you certainly caught the spirit of it.

I'm much more usually known as MWRuger and I meant what I said in the comments. You have no reason to let others make you feel like a traitor unless you know something that no one else does (like you were the mystery person who wouldn't sign the deal).

Otherwise, even if you were a cheerleader for NCSoft (which would be weird to me) it wouldn't mean a thing. Playing CoH and being part of the community isn't a murder/suicide pact. Ignore them. They don't know you and they don't know what is in your heart. They have no basis for judgement.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 04:58:55 AM by TheDevilYouKnow »
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 04:57:51 AM »
Working on holdtorch

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 06:21:53 AM »

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 07:00:17 AM »
Yeah Maressa, that article hit the nail directly on the head. I agree with all ten points. And the Coffee Talk was one of my favorite things to look forward to each week too. For just the reason you said, because it always felt like Zwill was just talking with some friends. It was easygoing, and funny, and - oh look at that - they had some cool stuff to show off too. Honestly though, the banter and the tangents were as much fun as the sneak peeks :D

And the character diversity - heh, one of my favorite things to do in-game (when I wasn't neck-deep in the costume creator myself, anyway) was to sit around in Atlas checking out the costumes and bios of the players as they went about their business. Some were impressive, some were funny, some made me scratch my head more than a little... but more often than not I knew I could never have come up with anything remotely like what I was looking at. And I loved that. Honestly, it never got old.

no hero

• Lieutenant
  • Regens "do it" solo! :)
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 05:33:33 PM »

I just wanted to say...

Happy belated my old friend.
You are missed.
Samantha:  "I have to ask you a question. It's a good one so think about it. If a Player and a Game love each other, but they just can't seem to get it together, when do you get to that point of enough is enough?"

Jerry:  "Never."

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 06:20:39 PM »

I just wanted to say...

Happy belated my old friend.
You are missed.

/em holdtorch

Dinah Might

• Minion
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 07:28:37 PM »
My plans include logging into The Secret World, realizing it isn't City of Heroes and logging out.  Then Logging into Champions Online, realizing it isn't City of Heroes and logging out.  Logging into Wildstar Beta, realizing it isn't City of Heroes and logging out.  Then spend the rest of the evening why all games seem to be getting worse, then cry myself to sleep.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 08:09:36 PM »
My plans include logging into The Secret World, realizing it isn't City of Heroes and logging out.  Then Logging into Champions Online, realizing it isn't City of Heroes and logging out.  Logging into Wildstar Beta, realizing it isn't City of Heroes and logging out.  Then spend the rest of the evening why all games seem to be getting worse, then cry myself to sleep.

Don't do it! Watch Avengers instead.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Dinah Might

• Minion
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 08:37:04 PM »
Avengers is like... what ... 1.5 hours?  I've been depressed about CoH for over a year!

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 08:40:09 PM »
Just gotta get through today.

You can also throw in the other marvel movies and the last superman movie. That should eat up some of it.

Really, your other plan sounds like it would be really horrible. But whatever you like.  :)
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 08:55:28 PM »
I plan on starting a few fires around town and then putting on a leather vest and get a baseball bat and attack the firemen when they show up - think the police would understand I am doing it for the memory of the game????

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 11:14:24 PM »
I did my anniversary character Major Anniversary (hence the roman numeral) and I listened to some CoH Music from the original game and Going Rouge.

I talked with a PvP'er about why I hate PvP in general and CoH in particular.

Visited all the facebook groups. Yep, I think that'll do. Here's hoping next year we can celebrate in game either on a private server or somewhere else.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Tribunus

• Minion
  • Pinnacle of Virtue
    • Polar Bear Dreams & Stranger Things
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 11:58:04 PM »
Been working on a City of HEroes game for Heroes Unlimited. Yay.
"It's not about where you were born. Or what powers you have. Or what you wear on your chest. It's about what you do....It's about saving others."
Tribunus to other Virtue heroes during the Cataclysm

Ultraamann

• Minion
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 01:39:10 PM »
I worked.  And watched hockey. And tinkered in Icon with my little sidekicks. 

It lacks the visceral pleasure of Foot Stomps and Knockout Blows, but you take what you can get.

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 07:30:46 PM »
Sorry, the usual event planner (me) is having a rough week and didn't plan anything special. I did write an article though. http://www.mmogames.com/gamearticles/10-things-miss-10th-anniversary-city-heroes/

Great article Maressa. I miss the CoH forums so much it was a big part of my day to log on and at least check out the Guardian forum.