Author Topic: Super Heroes Novels  (Read 6526 times)

Mental Maden

• Boss
Re: Super Heroes Novels
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2014, 09:45:04 PM »
Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman is a fun read.

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2014, 05:57:28 AM »
Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman is a fun read.

Thanks Mental Maden, have read is title, agree it is a fun read  ;)

Triage IV

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 01:21:15 PM »
I've been reading Kevin Rau's H.E.R.O. series...they're fun.  A friend mentioned the Jack Blank series (Accidental Hero, and a few others)...but, I haven't tried them out yet.

I loved Mercedes Lackey's fantasy novels, but, for some reason, had a hard time getting into her superhero fiction.  I stopped about half way through the first book.  I purchased the series...and am going to take another shot at them.  I love her work, so, I think I wasn't in the correct mind frame (unemployment, etc., in RL) to give it a true shot.

There's a self published/small press publisher author who writes an Axiom-man series...a new Canadian super hero who has powers but they're not over the top...so he has quite a few limitations.  They're good reads and fast reads as well.

Peter Cline's Ex-Heroes is good too...a bit different being that they're novels based on zombies and superheroes.  I've only read the first in this series, but planning on reading the others.

There have been a lot of new meta fiction/superhero fiction writers coming out in the last few years.  I have fun looking through the "Reader's also Liked" threads in Amazon to get new ideas.
Waiting for the day Paragon returns.

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2014, 06:37:36 AM »
I read seven wonders by adam cristopher and really enjoyed it.  Good book and good story.  I have tried his other novel empire state but haven't really got into it and lost interest.  but will give another try soon.  there is a sequel to empire state called the age atomic but i have not picked it up.  I want to find a once crowded sky by Tom King who will be the new writer for DC comic's Dick Grayson comic coming in June.  Ex heroes, ex patriots, and have not read the third book Ex Purgatory is a good series.  The Machinist series mentioned before was a fun read and I definately recommend it.

I also recommend the Irredeemable and Incoruptible graphic novels by mark waid. 

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2014, 07:58:03 AM »
I read seven wonders by adam cristopher and really enjoyed it.  Good book and good story.  I have tried his other novel empire state but haven't really got into it and lost interest.  but will give another try soon.  there is a sequel to empire state called the age atomic but i have not picked it up.  I want to find a once crowded sky by Tom King who will be the new writer for DC comic's Dick Grayson comic coming in June.  Ex heroes, ex patriots, and have not read the third book Ex Purgatory is a good series.  The Machinist series mentioned before was a fun read and I definately recommend it.

I also recommend the Irredeemable and Incoruptible graphic novels by mark waid.

Just coming to the end of "Ex Heroes" and can honestly say I've found it hard to put it down, very enjoyable book, good story and a easy read, I have the next one on order with Amazon as well as the first book in the "Wildcard Series".

While waiting for these to arrive I'll start "Steelheart", so plenty to read, thanks again for all the suggestions folks  :D

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2014, 01:38:31 PM »
TvTropes has a list of some superhero literature, might be worth checking: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuperHero
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Epelesker

• Boss
  • One fix at a time!
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2014, 06:53:16 AM »
"After the Golden Age" by Carrie Vaughn.

Granted, I've never actually picked it up, but I've seen it at a local bookstore and it sounded interesting.

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2014, 06:01:20 AM »
Well been busy reading and have finished "Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson" have to admit this book suprised me, very well written, keeps you not wanting to stop reading, you get attached to the characters. Some great twists & turns  ;)

Good 4.5 out of 5 from me, recommended read for all fans of heroes.

Also finished the seconf book in the "Ex" series "Ex-Patriots by Peter Cline" thought the first one was good but it gets better with the next ramping up the action and intrigue, can't help but love the Hero Zappp and all his TV phrases, finding all the easter eggs with names and places is fun when you come across them.

Superb 5 out of 5 for the series so far, on to the next book in the series.