Author Topic: City of heroes website  (Read 2118 times)

sorinkon

• Lieutenant
  • CoH WILL RISE AGAIN IN MINECRAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • COH Minecraft
City of heroes website
« on: April 09, 2014, 05:48:19 PM »
anyone else think it's weird that after nearly 2 years of a game being shutdown, the site is still sorta up? it still shows that message and doesnt that cost them more money to keep it up? why would they keep it up at this point is my question.

redmagebr

• Underling
Re: City of heroes website
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 06:29:50 PM »
It shouldn't cost them much.

CoH's website certainly is hosted in the same place their other websites are hosted, so it being there or not doesn't cost anything.

The only thing they'd have to actually pay for is the domain (cityofheroes.com), and even that is dirt cheap (and that's for us normal folk, for a company it's a meaningless price). And that's something they'd want to maintain either way - imagine the pancakestorm if someone else bought cityofheroes.com after it expired and used it to scam people... That would hurt their image, whether they were responsible or not.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 01:55:53 AM by eabrace »

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 08:09:57 PM »
it also is a step in their maintaining control over the IP. As long as they maintain the domain name, then they can say that the property has not slipped into "abandonment" thus forfeiting their rights to it.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

sorinkon

• Lieutenant
    • COH Minecraft
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 12:44:10 AM »
it also is a step in their maintaining control over the IP. As long as they maintain the domain name, then they can say that the property has not slipped into "abandonment" thus forfeiting their rights to it.

even though it was abandoned 2 years ago, and they havent changed the site or anything for what? 2 years and like 3 months?

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 06:56:14 AM »

Uhhh CoH and coh.com shut down on 11/30/2012.... More like 1 year 4 months and 16 days ago....

Just saying.

even though it was abandoned 2 years ago, and they havent changed the site or anything for what? 2 years and like 3 months?

sorinkon

• Lieutenant
    • COH Minecraft
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 05:13:54 PM »
Uhhh CoH and coh.com shut down on 11/30/2012.... More like 1 year 4 months and 16 days ago....

Just saying.

COH shutdown on 11/30/2012.... the site actually shutdown earlier remember? they didnt want ppl buying the cards and redeeming them and stuff.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 06:56:56 PM »

COH shutdown on 11/30/2012.... the site actually shutdown earlier remember? they didnt want ppl buying the cards and redeeming them and stuff.
The site shut down August 31, 2012. Still not "two years and like 3 months". Not even two years yet.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 10:26:45 PM »
The fact remains that it hasn't changed in a long time. I think the question was whether that legally constitutes "abandonment" of the website and by extension the IP (assuming the two are related).
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 11:28:16 PM »
I suspect that website content falls under copyright and that means it will public domain in about 68 years or so depending on whether Disney rams through another copyright extension to protect the mouse.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!