Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7295408 times)

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #22220 on: January 24, 2016, 10:07:38 PM »
Links to paragon wiki are not added here because I'm on a tablet and it would be annoying.

so.. whats up with those paragon statesmen? you know, the ball team.

never did find their stadium though.. I think it's in one of those off map places in between the city zones.

Spoiler for Hidden:
(efforts at distraction)

This was covered in the Lore AMA. No sports team because with all the powers, you couldn't be sure if the guy hitting 600 foot home runs was natural or powered.

Has anyone tried creating a City of Heroes paper RPG?

Yes. There was an official attempt, which is how we have the 2004 copy of the Story Bible. It was cancelled. There is one, perhaps more, fan attempts now.

Regarding the lottery thing - just google searching lottery odds gives a clear, single value, that doesn't change no matter how many people play.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #22221 on: January 24, 2016, 10:36:20 PM »
Hey guys I have a quick question. Is Lethal Damage the strongest damage type in City of Heroes?

In general, damage types were relatively similar in damage values. I believe you may be interested in how often is lethal resisted by various groups in the game. Higher level groups seemed to resist lethal more frequently, such as Nemesis.

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
  • Missing Worlds Media co-founder/senior developer.
    • Basketcase Software
« Reply #22222 on: January 24, 2016, 11:27:46 PM »
Okay, so..let me get this straight..avel comes in first speaking about how limited and confounded the old engine for CoH/The topic of 'just how dedicated are you to this "legacy" CoH and die hard fans(with the added mix of passive-aggressive subversion of the CoH fans here to support/play COT(mind you, I will support it, but not above CoH i23. I feel others will most likely act in the same manner.) Then, someone speaks about something math-based, Arcana is mentioned, someone brings up the lottery/chances of winning, and then avel spirals into this argument with Arcana. Someone then accuses avel of not playing/being active in CoH because they didn't know arcana, and they get offended.  :-\(I know I'm missing abit here and there but I think I got the jest of things).

P.S: Avel, I know you mean well and like was posted before, I'm sure your an absolutely swell person! :D, but, coming into a CoH revival thread, talking about how old and decreped CoH's engine was(very true on that one)/proceeding to question, if not directly, why stay with CoH legacy when COT will offer a much more modern engine, then(and, this is just how I took your post on CoH, I'm sure this is absolutely incorrect in founding) using subtle passive-aggressive undertones and diction to describe our dedication to a game that is a bit dated to divert our attention over to COT.(The deal as it stands, if I am correct, is that the legacy won't even be on that old engine(disk image), but instead will be on a new engine used by a third-company that is yet to be decided(at the time.) As well as APR making use of UE4 and the IP(along with y'all's very own character creator as well :D))Forgive me for this assertion, but, you must understand how this makes you look to me, and, presumably from the post that followed after your initial post, others in this forum as well.

Hmm. I don't remember why exactly I brought up the CoH engine being old. but I know for a fact it was NOT the first thing I spoke about. I only brought up CoT initially to show I worked with Nate - the fact that he is part of the CoT project is actually in the OP.  Part of me even speaking at all was to defend his silence. Maybe me mentioning the issues with the engine might have been the first thing you reacted to, but it's definitely not the first thing I said.

I do recall someone with inside contacts saying that Paragon Studios was planning on redoing the engine themselves (I think it was Tony V) in a private conversation. That was probably on my mind as replacing the engine was actually part of the plan for CoH's improvement and expansion over time.

CoT was formulated as a revival option ("Plan Z") but we have been stuck with the legal problems with hewing too closely to the old game. If this revival option that is the basis of this whole thread comes to fruition then that will clear a lot of that up. I do remember that we would still be stuck without  a way to introduce the content that Paragon Studios was going to introduce. I also knew that I had been having issues with the old game running on newer hardware (just the chat thing for now).

Didn't anyone catch that I still wanted to play my old characters again? In the world they began in?

If we ever got CoH going back in full I would really be torn. I invested years into CoH and I've invested years into CoT, but my first love was CoH. You've read into things stuff I wasn't actually saying. Will I mention my work on CoT? Sure, because it IS part of the revival strategies and there is no reason I should not be proud of my very real efforts in contributing to that.  For all I care the the company doing CoH (please let it happen!) could take over the CoT project or any of the others as long as I can play City of Heroes again!

I wonder if the reviving company could be a reborn Paragon Studios? With the old team back?
Missing World Media primary co-founder, senior developer, UI/UX acting lead, and software toolsmith.

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22223 on: January 24, 2016, 11:38:44 PM »
I wonder if the reviving company could be a reborn Paragon Studios? With the old team back?

No, they're pretty much all moved on.

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
    • Basketcase Software
« Reply #22224 on: January 25, 2016, 12:02:00 AM »
No, they're pretty much all moved on.
Yeah, I know. That's the sad part. Because that team would be the only people to really do it right from the start.
Missing World Media primary co-founder, senior developer, UI/UX acting lead, and software toolsmith.

Golden Aurora

• Boss
« Reply #22225 on: January 25, 2016, 02:29:37 AM »
In unrelated news, I was playing around in PC today and found a cute easter egg.
Look at the credits on the bottom of the movie poster. It's the coh dev team and management hehe.

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22226 on: January 25, 2016, 02:35:48 AM »
Yeah, I know. That's the sad part. Because that team would be the only people to really do it right from the start.

Wait, now you're throwing around this nonsense too?  The CoH devs were never perfect, sometimes they were even corrected by players about the fundamentals of their own damn game.

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22227 on: January 25, 2016, 04:01:20 AM »
I'm working on an RPG system that is portable into any genre, kind of like GURPS only less math.  It uses spheres for powers that can be used or dropped as needed, for example there is no need for [Tech] in a D&D world, no [Magic] in a Terminator world, etc.

I figure the types of powers in CoX would be easily portable.  The [Psion] and [Quantum] spheres may need to be merged for CoX's 'Mutant'

My biggest problem is lack of time and I'm a procrastinator :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 04:06:25 AM by Teikiatsu »
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22228 on: January 25, 2016, 04:02:56 AM »
No need to invent something when Champions aka hero system exists.

Unless someone doesn't like Champions.

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22229 on: January 25, 2016, 04:45:27 AM »
Wait, now you're throwing around this nonsense too?  The CoH devs were never perfect, sometimes they were even corrected by players about the fundamentals of their own damn game.

the biggest difference between them and others? when players showed them their error, they fixed it. that doesnt happen in many other games.

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22230 on: January 25, 2016, 05:40:28 AM »
the biggest difference between them and others? when players showed them their error, they fixed it. that doesnt happen in many other games.

And?*  That doesn't say a damn thing about the prospective new devs.  My point is that this whole "nobody could ever live up to the CoH devs" is complete nonsense because they're weren't some mystical perfect dev team that could only ever happen once (the team wasn't even the same people from the start of CoH to the end).  It's also really bizarre hearing that from avel considering he was arguing against that very idea just a couple pages ago.

*By the way, don't interpret this as me even agreeing with your premise, because the CoH devs objectively did not always listen to the players.  They did at least communicate with the playerbase, for better or for worse (usually for better but not always), which is definitely above and beyond what the devs for a lot of other games will do outside of a community representative (and even then CoH was still better, especially during the Reign of Zwil).

Shibboleth

• Boss
« Reply #22231 on: January 25, 2016, 06:13:59 AM »

What would a CoH RPG have, other than setting--which you can do with any superhero RPG on the market, which would distinguish from other superhero RPGs on the market?

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22232 on: January 25, 2016, 07:50:57 AM »

Yes. There was an official attempt, which is how we have the 2004 copy of the Story Bible. It was cancelled. There is one, perhaps more, fan attempts now.

Heck, you can still find it listed on Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/Registration-Manual-Core-City-Heroes/dp/1933105119

Of course, it is listed as "currently unavailable."

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
    • Basketcase Software
« Reply #22233 on: January 25, 2016, 09:54:22 AM »
And?*  That doesn't say a damn thing about the prospective new devs.  My point is that this whole "nobody could ever live up to the CoH devs" is complete nonsense because they're weren't some mystical perfect dev team that could only ever happen once (the team wasn't even the same people from the start of CoH to the end).  It's also really bizarre hearing that from avel considering he was arguing against that very idea just a couple pages ago.

*By the way, don't interpret this as me even agreeing with your premise, because the CoH devs objectively did not always listen to the players.  They did at least communicate with the playerbase, for better or for worse (usually for better but not always), which is definitely above and beyond what the devs for a lot of other games will do outside of a community representative (and even then CoH was still better, especially during the Reign of Zwil).
Huh? I'm lost. What was I supposed to have been arguing against? The old CoH dev team that existed at the end would be best to pick up the game if we ever got it back because there would be less error in continuity likely and they have more knowledge of the existing software and mechanics (with the obvious exceptions of developers who had previously worked on the game). The only thing I recall possibly arguing against is the old game engine. That's because the old engine was becoming increasingly difficult to support and update and was apparently making some features the dev team wanted difficult or impossible to add. But the engine isn't the game. It's just the means to realize it. Since the source code apparently isn't part of the deal this becomes even more of a problem. I'm not sure if that affects the graphics and other assets as they aren't code. Same for the underlying game mechanic, lore, and story content.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22234 on: January 25, 2016, 10:04:06 AM »
I suspect I'm the target of that example but I can take a friendly poke  ;D
I'd happily by you a beer while you probably poke at me some more.  8)

Sounds good :D Though I suspect that in a live conversation rather than forum posts the last however many pages of lottery talk wouldn't have happened at all. At least I hope not.

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
    • Basketcase Software
« Reply #22235 on: January 25, 2016, 10:08:27 AM »
Sounds good :D Though I suspect that in a live conversation rather than forum posts the last however many pages of lottery talk wouldn't have happened at all. At least I hope not.
Oh I would most definitely hope not! I kept thinking of it as the "song that never ends". Seriously. I made what I thought was my last post on it way, way back with me saying "oops! I made a boo boo" and figured that would be the end of it. Sure fooled me! :o

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22236 on: January 25, 2016, 10:48:15 AM »
Huh? I'm lost. What was I supposed to have been arguing against?

The assertion some have made that CoT cannot possibly ever be a suitable replacement for CoH because none of the original devs are involved, especially if there are people involved who never even played CoH.  In essence, holding them CoH devs up as "the holies" whose work cannot ever be superseded.

The old CoH dev team that existed at the end would be best to pick up the game if we ever got it back because there would be less error in continuity likely and they have more knowledge of the existing software and mechanics (with the obvious exceptions of developers who had previously worked on the game).

I don't know that this is necessarily true, especially since nobody from the shutdown dev team has touched the game code in over 3 years.  There were even large swathes of the code that were not understood by the shutdown dev team because it was old code that was never commented.  Essentially you're arguing that the last active dev team for CoH would be the best candidates to reverse engineer the game despite being 3+ years removed from their work and not having access to any internal Paragon Studios documentation.  This really does not put them at a significantly greater advantage than the most knowledgeable members of the former playerbase (who I hope are actually the ones spearheading this).

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22237 on: January 25, 2016, 11:46:38 AM »
The assertion some have made that CoT cannot possibly ever be a suitable replacement for CoH because none of the original devs are involved, especially if there are people involved who never even played CoH.  In essence, holding them CoH devs up as "the holies" whose work cannot ever be superseded.

I don't know that this is necessarily true, especially since nobody from the shutdown dev team has touched the game code in over 3 years.  There were even large swathes of the code that were not understood by the shutdown dev team because it was old code that was never commented.  Essentially you're arguing that the last active dev team for CoH would be the best candidates to reverse engineer the game despite being 3+ years removed from their work and not having access to any internal Paragon Studios documentation.  This really does not put them at a significantly greater advantage than the most knowledgeable members of the former playerbase (who I hope are actually the ones spearheading this).

I've always thought Cryptic would have the best chance at reverse engineering COX. They're the only ones using any version of the engine that COX was built on.
I always thought that the best

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22238 on: January 25, 2016, 11:49:48 AM »
What would a CoH RPG have, other than setting--which you can do with any superhero RPG on the market, which would distinguish from other superhero RPGs on the market?

Whatever any two different RPG systems should have: different mechanics, therefore different interaction with the game world.

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22239 on: January 25, 2016, 12:40:24 PM »
I've always thought Cryptic would have the best chance at reverse engineering COX. They're the only ones using any version of the engine that COX was built on.
I always thought that the best

The Champions engine may be based on some version of what the City of Heroes engine was at the time of the NCSoft/Cryptic split, but they both evolved in the intervening time.  That's a headstart, at absolute best.