Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7210283 times)

Dr. Bad Guy

• Lieutenant
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #13800 on: December 26, 2014, 06:54:24 PM »
For those of that joined team red I hope it runs well for us as well.

I was an evga fan boy for the longest time but I haven't been happy with the sky rocketing price of nvidia and intel products the last few years.

And please for the love of god don't forget sli and crossfire support! Please? :)
Love my Nvidia products(running 2 570's in sli myself) Prices are a bit out there.
The game doesn't need to support sli, its your computer that decides that issue(providing you have a sli mobo)
That being said please don't forget support for PhysX.   ;D

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #13801 on: December 26, 2014, 10:07:05 PM »
Did CoH recognize PhysX by Issue 23?  I don't remember one way, or the other.
What was no more, is now reborn!

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13802 on: December 26, 2014, 10:40:13 PM »
Did CoH recognize PhysX by Issue 23?  I don't remember one way, or the other.

yes...i saw it in i7

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #13803 on: December 27, 2014, 01:03:54 AM »
yes...i saw it in i7
PhysX was added pretty early on, and it was updated again many years later. Maybe about a year before shutdown? As i recall it messed up the "weighting" for the ragdolling and defeated enemies started twisting and flailing around like half-inflated balloons in a stiff breeze.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13804 on: December 27, 2014, 03:28:04 PM »
PhysX was added pretty early on, and it was updated again many years later. Maybe about a year before shutdown? As i recall it messed up the "weighting" for the ragdolling and defeated enemies started twisting and flailing around like half-inflated balloons in a stiff breeze.

That mess-up with the ragdolling made for an endless supply of hilarious little moments. I would have been one really sad panda once they had finally gotten around to fixing it. ;D

goeritz

• Underling
« Reply #13805 on: December 27, 2014, 04:36:39 PM »
Anyone know if the system requirements will remain the same? If it comes back. Or did someone already ask that and i just missed it?
G-Maulisher

PsiBug

• Minion
  • Hi everybuggy!
« Reply #13806 on: December 27, 2014, 05:47:13 PM »
Hi Goeritz,
I believe that if the purchase is successful, initially the game will come back exactly as it was at the time the game closed (the new company will receive a working, playable "image" of Issue 23 without the full-blown development files). The system requirements will be exactly the same as they were before the shutdown, I believe. That version will be maintained as it is, while a new version of the game is rebuilt using a newer game engine that will allow for future updates. Other related game projects may also be undertaken simultaneously.

(Refer to the first post in this thread for general info and new progress reports as they occur.)

-PsiBug
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 09:10:26 PM by PsiBug »

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13807 on: December 27, 2014, 06:05:58 PM »
What I truely hope for, is when the game is purchased and back online, is for the port to UE4 to go as planned.

Before I go into the rest of my positive hopes, getting my negative hopes out of the way.

I want CoX to say "hey, now I look like a modern game, CO, so you cannot call me on my graphics anymore".

I also want to see CoX flourish, big time, and continually do so, over CO.  Not because I hate CO but in a way, I want to see the jerks at CO to witness that our game is returning.  Since they STILL have the most bigoted attitude towards us, I want CoX back preferably...

*Edited out, as it was to cruel, looking at it*

Now to the positives.

I really want city of heroes to succeed, and it getting the UE4 update to city of heroes 1.5, alongside city of titans and valiance online.  I want the games to really, really show that mmorpgs don't need to all play alike all the time.  I want it to be clear that there are dozens of other ways to play an mmorpg in team games besides the trinity that doesn't involve zerg rushing.  I want the games to seriously open the minds of the mmorpg community.  And I'd like to see that done before a deconstruction game has to come out designed to make people forever hate mmorpgs(and I have my suspicions there is already one in the works, somewhere, since goat mmo simulator serves as the joke deconstruction).
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 08:02:37 PM by LaughingAlex »
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #13808 on: December 27, 2014, 08:19:33 PM »
UE4

So long as it can import models from .blend, I support this too.

I want CoX to say "hey, now I look like a modern game, CO, so you cannot call me on my graphics anymore".

Again, a good thing, but you must remember graphics are not everything, alot of CO players are gonna say "Enh.. the game play is better, the graphics are good, but CO still has new content, where as CoX wont have any" and that is going to be the real challenge is getting NCSoft to recognize that (the game /IS/ profitable once better graphics are included) in a short time window. I mean it will really have to be a difficult balance of time on our side too, there's a certain threshold of time it needs to cross with growing sales could be a 2+ year threshold, but at the same time we can't just keep waiting due to the inevitable drop that will come based on a lack of new content, yet we can't bring it to NCSoft's attention too quickly because in their eyes it's kinda like the game just got it's feet out of the grave, yeah it looks fine now but in their eyes it's too short a time to tell whether or not the success isn't just because of the Eric Cartman theme-park effect

However I bet the NCSoft Executives still play it secretly "HAHA IT'S ALL OURS! NO ANNOYING CUSTOMERS".
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13809 on: December 27, 2014, 09:03:31 PM »
So long as it can import models from .blend, I support this too.

Again, a good thing, but you must remember graphics are not everything, alot of CO players are gonna say "Enh.. the game play is better, the graphics are good, but CO still has new content, where as CoX wont have any" and that is going to be the real challenge is getting NCSoft to recognize that (the game /IS/ profitable once better graphics are included) in a short time window. I mean it will really have to be a difficult balance of time on our side too, there's a certain threshold of time it needs to cross with growing sales could be a 2+ year threshold, but at the same time we can't just keep waiting due to the inevitable drop that will come based on a lack of new content, yet we can't bring it to NCSoft's attention too quickly because in their eyes it's kinda like the game just got it's feet out of the grave, yeah it looks fine now but in their eyes it's too short a time to tell whether or not the success isn't just because of the Eric Cartman theme-park effect

However I bet the NCSoft Executives still play it secretly "HAHA IT'S ALL OURS! NO ANNOYING CUSTOMERS".

If CO players could say their new content was any good(they actually get only the tiniest stuff and it's never fun anymore).  They also have no mission editor, which we will have.  They do argue we'd be in maintenance mode(usually while attacking our game deliberately and often times unprovoked).  But thing is we had far ,far more content than them on shutdown and they still don't even have close to the amount of content our game had.  Nore the quality, either.  And many who were paying aren't likely anymore unless they were really financially stupid individuals to begin with as the game bait and switches people.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #13810 on: December 27, 2014, 09:21:50 PM »
Love my Nvidia products(running 2 570's in sli myself) Prices are a bit out there.
The game doesn't need to support sli, its your computer that decides that issue(providing you have a sli mobo)
That being said please don't forget support for PhysX.   ;D

It does if you want the game to actually utilize both GPUS. Which sadly games are still being developed that do not.

scope.creep

• Minion
« Reply #13811 on: December 28, 2014, 01:04:56 PM »
And many who were paying aren't likely anymore unless they were really financially stupid individuals to begin with as the game bait and switches people.
If CO had been as good as I hoped, my lifetime subscription would be golden. As it turns out, my financial stupidity means that I spent far less on CO than I did on CoH... Of course, I still spent far more on CO than I should have. Perhaps I can't really debate the financially stupid label, but hey, thanks for reminding me.

scope.creep

• Minion
« Reply #13812 on: December 28, 2014, 01:12:44 PM »
Also, I never saw any CoH bashing in CO.

detour

• Underling
  • Baja Mercury: Accelerator
« Reply #13813 on: December 28, 2014, 03:02:38 PM »
Also, I never saw any CoH bashing in CO.
alack, that is ALL is see, whenever CoX is mentioned in Zone Chat over in CO.  It's basically 'we're alive, you're dead, we win, you lose, you mad bro?'   I cannot WAIT for CoX to take its rightful place once again as THE premiere super-hero MMORPG.   
ON a kind of related note, I got to try out VO last weekend.   I have to say it gave me goosebumps to round a couple of corners and recognize the architecture, especially in Atlas Park where that pond was, where there was a round sewer grate entrance under the bridge.   It's RIGHT where it's supposed to be.  And the person I bumped into who is apparently part of the design team or some such was nothing but pleasant and fun.
Baja Mercury:  Accelerator.

detour

• Underling
  • Baja Mercury: Accelerator
« Reply #13814 on: December 28, 2014, 03:03:34 PM »
That mess-up with the ragdolling made for an endless supply of hilarious little moments. I would have been one really sad panda once they had finally gotten around to fixing it. ;D
Suddenly, a wild TripLash appears!   Here's hoping we're shopping together at Woolworth's again in the near future!
Baja Mercury:  Accelerator.

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #13815 on: December 28, 2014, 04:59:28 PM »
I will admit that I tried CO when it first came out.  Everyone with whom I was playing CoH at the time had already made the jump, so to have people to play with, I followed suite.  I signed up for three months, after which I did not renew, and went immediately back to CoH, not really caring if anyone from my group followed me back, or not.  There were some isolated things about CO that made me go "Hmmmm.....wish we had that in CoH", but at the end of the day, a newer graphics engine could not take the place of everything else that CoH had going for it.  The costume/character creator, sidkicking, exemplaring, and the whole team dynamic.  Add to that that it just felt a little more like a game over there, rather than a community like CoH felt. 

Perhaps that last part is my own supposition, but the fact remained that I never let my subscription to CoH slip, and I came back as soon as I had given CO a decent chance to win me over.  I did not leave again until just before the end, when I knew it was going away.  I could not bear to see it go offline for the last time, and by that time, most of my gaming family had moved to SWTOR, so it kind of softened the blow.  I have played SWTOR ever since, but as much fun as I have had with it, it has always been a pale substitute for the game I really wanted to be playing all along, and look forward to playing again.
What was no more, is now reborn!

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13816 on: December 28, 2014, 05:08:31 PM »
If CO had been as good as I hoped, my lifetime subscription would be golden. As it turns out, my financial stupidity means that I spent far less on CO than I did on CoH... Of course, I still spent far more on CO than I should have. Perhaps I can't really debate the financially stupid label, but hey, thanks for reminding me.

Sorry about it man, I was actually taking more a shot at those who still buy things on the games market that are subject(as in guaranteed) to be over-nerfed or those who still try to get the excessively over-nerfed stuff that you can only get with real life money.  Stuff that cryptic north bait and switches.

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=266931

This is, well, what I speak of over there.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13817 on: December 28, 2014, 05:37:46 PM »
alack, that is ALL is see, whenever CoX is mentioned in Zone Chat over in CO.  It's basically 'we're alive, you're dead, we win, you lose, you mad bro?'   I cannot WAIT for CoX to take its rightful place once again as THE premiere super-hero MMORPG.   
ON a kind of related note, I got to try out VO last weekend.   I have to say it gave me goosebumps to round a couple of corners and recognize the architecture, especially in Atlas Park where that pond was, where there was a round sewer grate entrance under the bridge.   It's RIGHT where it's supposed to be.  And the person I bumped into who is apparently part of the design team or some such was nothing but pleasant and fun.

Thats kind of why I said what I said in an earlier post but eventually removed it before anyone commented.  Basically I believe our game will come back, but regardless of when that happens CO will eventually face a lawsuit due to whats been happening there.  When it does, it WILL face it's shutdown, and it won't have any chance of getting started back up.  Cryptic would be stupid to try and make CO 2 because of the sheer amount of bad publicity it'd get from CO, and so would PWE.  So we'll be the ones who can say "OUr game is up again, your game is permanently down and has a black mark on it, you mad, bro?" to them.

Karma.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13818 on: December 28, 2014, 05:43:13 PM »
Suddenly, a wild TripLash appears!   Here's hoping we're shopping together at Woolworth's again in the near future!

I spy, with my little eye, someone crazy and cool. How the heck are ya, brother! :D

Woolworths has no idea how much they missed our business, man. But we'll remind 'em! Just as soon as we get the chance.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #13819 on: December 28, 2014, 07:06:43 PM »
Thats kind of why I said what I said in an earlier post but eventually removed it before anyone commented.  Basically I believe our game will come back, but regardless of when that happens CO will eventually face a lawsuit due to whats been happening there.  When it does, it WILL face it's shutdown, and it won't have any chance of getting started back up.  Cryptic would be stupid to try and make CO 2 because of the sheer amount of bad publicity it'd get from CO, and so would PWE.  So we'll be the ones who can say "OUr game is up again, your game is permanently down and has a black mark on it, you mad, bro?" to them.

Karma.
Also if they made co2 hat would need something they have they do not want to do for co and that is taking a proactive development in it. Instead of just leaving it in a dismal state and proclaim they are doing everything they can to make it better. If they really do want to make co better they would have done they same time of commitment they gave sto to get that game better.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.