Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7211061 times)

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #13740 on: December 20, 2014, 04:28:23 AM »
That's more thorough decoration than we see here in the States!

It also look like that picture was taken during rush hour. I would NOT want to be driving in that hoard of oncoming traffic.

20 hours of the day is "rush hour" in Seoul. . . One of the worst traffic gridlocks in the world.
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #13741 on: December 20, 2014, 06:07:36 AM »

I can wait another year, 2 years, 3 and more. I don't care how long it takes, I just want the game back.

Two to three more years? I think we all want the game back but if it seriously takes more than a year to atleast be in a playable test server status as a result of these negotiations...

Well I don't know how to say this without being negative. So I'll just say that's ridiculous and ignorant on ncsoft's part to toy with people for that long.

The longer they wait the more probable that some really great mmo (whether is a superhero mmo or not) will surface and we'll all move on to that title. Get really comfortable there and be less likely to come back if we're having fun there. So far a true coh replacement hasn't been invented, but some developers are taking note and I feel the day is getting closer and closer that a better game will surface with something other than art and graphics that truly holds on to it's customers.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 06:36:02 AM by Noyjitat »

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13742 on: December 20, 2014, 06:57:13 AM »
The only MMO that had a chance to pull me away from CoH was the upcoming World of Darkness which sadly was cancelled before launch....unless someone picks it up.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #13743 on: December 20, 2014, 08:10:50 PM »
Two to three more years? I think we all want the game back but if it seriously takes more than a year to atleast be in a playable test server status as a result of these negotiations...

Well I don't know how to say this without being negative. So I'll just say that's ridiculous and ignorant on ncsoft's part to toy with people for that long.

The longer they wait the more probable that some really great mmo (whether is a superhero mmo or not) will surface and we'll all move on to that title. Get really comfortable there and be less likely to come back if we're having fun there. So far a true coh replacement hasn't been invented, but some developers are taking note and I feel the day is getting closer and closer that a better game will surface with something other than art and graphics that truly holds on to it's customers.

Actually this is exactly why NCSoft is taking so long, they want to make sure that we wont just flake away from something they put money into bringing back.

2 years? 3 years? seriously even if something 'better' comes out, I'll still play coh, it's unique in content, and there's nostalgia there that can't be replaced.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13744 on: December 20, 2014, 08:24:52 PM »
Uh, there are Christians in Korea (a huge number, like a third of the population). There are Christians pretty much everywhere. That was sort of the whole basis of sustaining the religion.

South Korea recognizes Christmas as a national holiday.

And besides that whole "religion" thing, Christmas isn't a religious holiday for a large number of people (including a huge number here in the States). Secular Christmas is huge in Korea. It's morphed into a ... festive, colorful Valentine's Day sort of weird conglomo-holiday. Korean trendy couples love to dress up, sing crazy holiday k-pop crap, they love lights and festivities, the whole works.

Seoul for Christmas.
Thanks.  That was my question.   I'm not even sure Christmas is a religious holiday in the US either.  :D

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #13745 on: December 20, 2014, 08:41:16 PM »
Thanks.  That was my question.   I'm not even sure Christmas is a religious holiday in the US either.  :D

The fact that Christmas ISN'T a religious holiday (unlike, say, Easter) is the reason it can legally be a Federal Holiday.

As with "In God We Trust" and "... under God...", the courts have explicitly said that if there were any sincere religious content to these they would be illegal.

Only the fact that they are utterly devoid of actual religious meaning allows the Federal Government to acknowledge them.
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #13746 on: December 20, 2014, 11:05:04 PM »
Actually this is exactly why NCSoft is taking so long, they want to make sure that we wont just flake away from something they put money into bringing back.

2 years? 3 years? seriously even if something 'better' comes out, I'll still play coh, it's unique in content, and there's nostalgia there that can't be replaced.

You may come back but not everyone will. ( I know that sounds stupid ) I've had a fear for awhile that the scenario I outlined above would take shape and just looking at some of the more negative comments posted here lately have made me feel like that fear may be a reality.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13747 on: December 20, 2014, 11:39:48 PM »
I think, for me, it's all about how well Midworlds Media does. If the game is even close to the entertainment value as CoH - I'll play it. Would I look back at CoH if it came about after? .......Depends, I think.

One cannot serve two masters. Which, for me, means, character progression is part of the fun for me. Leveling up is fun. At least, in COH it was, I liked the graphics. Made me think of a slot machine when it paid off. So - with a character on one game, and then the other game comes out - that means my free time has to be split between them, or I just put all the free time in one basket. I suppose the best thing about it is I'll go with the one that gives the most entertainment value for the money. Competition is a good thing for the consumer. I would, of course, have both games on my computer - but whichever one was the most fun would probably get my time and money.

Merry Christmas everyone. Even you, Hazygreys.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

PsiBug

• Minion
  • Hi everybuggy!
IWTBITG
« Reply #13748 on: December 21, 2014, 02:16:49 AM »
IWTBITG!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 02:27:45 AM by PsiBug »

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #13749 on: December 21, 2014, 02:34:13 AM »
You may come back but not everyone will. ( I know that sounds stupid ) I've had a fear for awhile that the scenario I outlined above would take shape and just looking at some of the more negative comments posted here lately have made me feel like that fear may be a reality.

A sentiment I share, and I might add, one I attempted to make a couple of pages ago.  I hope it all goes well, but we are not as large a community as some imagine, and more waiting will not make our numbers grow.  In this case, sooner would really be in their best interest, as well as ours.

No need to remind me that all the complaining about the pace of this deal will do nothing to change it, nor that most or all of what I say has already been expressed over the course of the previous 685 pages.  I fully realize that, but it helps me pass the seemingly endless march of days since hope was given to us, to express my deep desire for the process to move at the speed that it can, rather than the speed that it has been held to.

I am not a negative person, and I am not a troll looking to drop flame bait.  I am a loyal citizen/hero of Paragon City who very much wishes to be allowed to go home, who also knows that apparently even the American legal system moves faster than a relatively simple transaction (compared to multi-billion dollar mergers which have begun and finished since this all started) between a group of US businessmen that have proven their ability to do right by the title, and a certain Korean company.

Let's give everyone a Merry Christmas NCSoft, and put a fork in this thing.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 02:45:13 AM by anderu »
What was no more, is now reborn!

goeritz

• Underling
« Reply #13750 on: December 21, 2014, 03:41:01 AM »
At this point if it happens, it happens. I understand the main peoples point of no definate answers yet, keep everyones hopes alive . I personally think "said company" won't let any part of it go, if they're not willing or able to let it all go with whats happening now, makes no sense . Why would they allow another company the IP etc? So they end up losing a customer base for their current games, where the profit difference would most likely not be in their favor? If they truly wanted to allow the resurrection of CoX it would have happened by now and they would have re-opened it in a maintenance mode themselves. Has nothing to do with their culture, yada yada yada. This is a business and its about the money.
G-Maulisher

goeritz

• Underling
« Reply #13751 on: December 21, 2014, 04:02:16 AM »
Is this quarterly check they're going to receive be enough compensation for the loss of players of their current games? As far as i know a decent portion of the CoX community went to GW2.
G-Maulisher

Stealth Dart

• Boss
  • Martial Artists kick butt with style
« Reply #13752 on: December 21, 2014, 04:04:12 AM »
 :-X
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 01:02:09 PM by Stealth Dart »
I am a dancer, a leaf in the wind...a leaf that can kick your Butt!

Surelle

« Reply #13753 on: December 21, 2014, 04:22:49 AM »
Is this quarterly check they're going to receive be enough compensation for the loss of players of their current games? As far as i know a decent portion of the CoX community went to GW2.

Personally, I shelved my copy of GW2 the minute the shutdown announcement for CoX was made and haven't even looked at an NCSoft game since.  But so many people play multiple MMOs nowadays (especially the B2P and F2P varieties) that I don't think there will be much of a problem even if there are some players that left CoX for any other MMO or game.  And I'm not so sure a whole lot of CoX die-hards wound up in GW2 to begin with.  But whatever.  I doubt there will be much of an issue there.

I think the point being now that NCSoft will not be shouldering the burden of running the server nor paying the personnel anymore, so that would likely be more attractive to them.  Moreover, they won't be paying Paragon Studios this time around, who was developing at the time of shutdown a purported two more undisclosed games (of which one was an online strategy game) and assumedly paying for those two games out of City's profits.

So there's some hope there for this to look a bit attractive to them, in a minor way of course.  I don't think CoX or its IP are at the top of anyone's priority list over at NCSoft, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if only a couple people over there are even aware that these talks are going on.  But money for nothing....that's basically what this is going to be.  Probably not a whole lot of money, but still.  It will also give their public perception amongst the MMO crowd a much-needed little shot in the arm. 

goeritz

• Underling
« Reply #13754 on: December 21, 2014, 04:57:05 AM »
I'm CoX all the way. But this process really doesn't add up. Typically in the business world you talk, is this possible first? Then money, then put all proper paperwork together (via lawyers) sign that paperwork, then make sure everything is there and working as to what was agreed upon. If that happened and that's where they are, great! But we all would have had our answer already then. Sounds like things are backwards. Nothing is signed, yet they're making sure everything is there and works first? No company wastes money like that without a signed deal first. Either we have a done deal, or being mislead. Companies don't go this far into things while paying people to make a deal good without a yes or no.
G-Maulisher

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #13755 on: December 21, 2014, 08:04:37 AM »

And no tech company is going to shell out money for what has been described as spaghetti code in the past...without knowing if it is even possible to untangle the spaghetti to get the game going.. THAT would be complete idiocy. The disk image is not a simple thing to "check" and requires more than a few lines of code and a server to test. Those billion dollar deals you hear of... are the results of months and sometimes years of back and forth negotiations...talks...disputes... between two companies nicely packaged up in the final stages of the process and fed to the media. If you truly think a merger of say Exxon and Sunoco would take a few months...you have no idea how business work.

But please feel free to nay-say all you want. The deal is going as fast as it can given the circumstances. If you honestly believe that NCSoft is going slow or dragging their feet...instead of participating with due diligence to make sure they and the buyers are not screwed over... you would be mistaken.

I'm CoX all the way. But this process really doesn't add up. Typically in the business world you talk, is this possible first? Then money, then put all proper paperwork together (via lawyers) sign that paperwork, then make sure everything is there and working as to what was agreed upon. If that happened and that's where they are, great! But we all would have had our answer already then. Sounds like things are backwards. Nothing is signed, yet they're making sure everything is there and works first? No company wastes money like that without a signed deal first. Either we have a done deal, or being mislead. Companies don't go this far into things while paying people to make a deal good without a yes or no.

Stealth Dart

• Boss
  • Martial Artists kick butt with style
« Reply #13756 on: December 21, 2014, 09:13:44 AM »
 :-X
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 01:02:30 PM by Stealth Dart »
I am a dancer, a leaf in the wind...a leaf that can kick your Butt!

Thezanman

• Underling
« Reply #13757 on: December 21, 2014, 02:11:16 PM »
As far as I understand, the deal was some other company runs City of Heroes in permanent issue 23, they take as much money as they need to run the servers, and the rest goes to ncsoft.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #13758 on: December 21, 2014, 02:35:58 PM »
NC Soft is definitely interested in selling the IP.  Otherwise they would have said no right from the start.
They are willing to sell the disk image for I23.  What they are not willing to sell is the source code.  This is
due to security issues with the COH source code and other NC Soft games that
use the same launcher and account management.  Sitting on a 12 year old IP makes
them zero money.  Better to sell it and make some cash.  However a million bucks for
said IP and disk image is not a lot of money to a big company.  A million dollars being a rough
guesstimate.  They are doing due diligence so that this "deal" does not turn around
and bite them.  So patience people.  Stop discouraging everyone with your doubts.
Lets just wait and see what happens.

The point comes up is that if they are worried about selling the source code because of proprietary stuff in it that they use for their online shop ETC. then by all means I say we pay them to remove those from the source and hand us the source minus those references. I mean what's it gonna cost another 50 grand to have one internal employee remove those references in the code?

I suspect I'm not the only one who thought of this, and I'm sure it's probably a discussion point of Nate and crew. and possibly one of the reasons it's taking so long. they may have already agreed to such a thing and have someone internally doing it, of course it could take months to make sure all references to such proprietary things in the code have been removed before the deal can be finalized. and until it's finalized the NDA is still in effect.

Whatever the reason is why it is taking so long I'm sure it's perfectly valid. we've waited 2 years, whats another 6 months especially with a deal that is already in the working and has had only positive feedback. (lets face it, if there was significantly negative feedback Nate and crew would violate the NDA to tell us as it would be a deal breaker.) No deal breaker? that's good enough for me.

As far as I understand, the deal was some other company runs City of Heroes in permanent issue 23, they take as much money as they need to run the servers, and the rest goes to ncsoft.

No, NCSoft started the intermediate company for the transfer of the IP. Most likely because of something like I posted above, something had to be digitally prepared before it could be handed to nate and crew, obviously the disk image isn't going to make itself. and it can't be exactly like it was when it shutdown because that includes a link to NCSoft's online store which will not be included in this version, or will be redirected to nate and crew's own business account.

NCSoft is actually selling the IP just not in entirety, some of the code is to be excluded, but what NCSoft does sell they will no longer be making profits from unless otherwise specified in the deal as a selling perk, like "we'll continue to share [%] profits with you for [number of years] after the sale."

so how does this intermediate company get paid? they are getting paid upfront, /NOW/, their services are being rendered on the game and most likely that is what we are waiting on. I expect NCSoft is urging said team to hurry up, but things can only be done so fast to remove code and fix the bugs it causes.

This next version for example will most likely reverse the mandatory NCSoft launcher and provide one last update sending the old style installer to everyone then 86ing coh from the NCSoft launcher some months later. Which may be the end of NCSoft's profits from the game.

these are just speculations, but they are based on info we already know. agian the company NCSoft set-up is a temporary transfer company.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #13759 on: December 21, 2014, 03:20:06 PM »
Source Code for CoH is not part of the deal. Simply paying them to remove the piece of pieces of source they don't want to share isn't as...well...simple as it sounds. Especially depending on what that code is. For example, what if it's the netcode? You can't just yank that.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com