Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7210240 times)

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #13701 on: December 17, 2014, 01:58:53 PM »
Honestly, a game they shuttered two years ago can hardly be at the top of their priority list.  I'd venture to guess that not many people outside of the one or two directly involved even know or care about any of the CoX rez efforts.

But sometimes, all it takes is one "guardian angel" at a company to take an interest in something as a side project, and it will eventually get done.  I don't think that's going to be any time soon, though.  Hopefully we'll hear something about real positive motion forward by summer.

This is the hardest part - the waiting. I know people don't trust NCSoft - but I do - I trust them to act in the interests of their company. They will not want to waste a bunch of man hours and resources to pull out of a deal at this point. They also will not allocate a lot of resources to make the deal. They will want this done as cheaply as possible and in a way that sheds the best light on them.

When we have the game back - I will write a letter to them thanking them for giving the players a chance to return to the game they love.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13702 on: December 17, 2014, 02:16:27 PM »
Until then, everyone take a big breath grab a blue lantern ring and use your power of hope in some other outlet form as building up all that energy could be unhealthy for your heart.

Well spoken!
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #13703 on: December 18, 2014, 04:18:38 AM »
Updated the first post with the no-update update.

I'm sorry, but, as someone who has had to deal with government (specifically military) bureaucracy, this made me LOL. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #13704 on: December 18, 2014, 10:45:04 AM »
When we have the game back - I will write a letter to them thanking them for giving the players a chance to return to the game they love.

Can I sign that letter to?

I do have some hard feelings toward NCSoft, in that I think they could of closed the game in a better way. But at the end of the day business is business, something I'm learning slowly but surely. LOL!

I believe they will sale, it might take awhile and this new effort might not be the one to do it. But they will sale eventually. If they wasn't even slightly interested in selling, they wouldn't even talk to us.

The ONLY way we'll never see CoH again is if we give up.

Take care. :)

goeritz

• Underling
« Reply #13705 on: December 18, 2014, 04:39:49 PM »
I'm sure this question has been brought up already. And most likely answered. I just haven't read through the 600 pages. As far as a complete buyout. If that was an option at one point or still is. What was their asking price?
G-Maulisher

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13706 on: December 18, 2014, 04:46:47 PM »
I'm sure this question has been brought up already. And most likely answered. I just haven't read through the 600 pages. As far as a complete buyout. If that was an option at one point or still is. What was their asking price?

There is no way for a complete buyout. The game was NOT shutdown with a mind to starting it again. It was closed with a mind to prove IP and that is about it.

The only way to restart the game - at least for now is via a disk image and no original code. The price for this type of a setup is obviously far cheaper than a complete buyout. I don't know the exact cost - that will likely come out after the purchase.

goeritz

• Underling
« Reply #13707 on: December 18, 2014, 05:56:41 PM »
Again, this was probably brought up, attempted and answered already and i apologize . There was an attempt of a complete buyout? And they denied to realease it no matter what? No amount could get them to sell? The reason i'm asking is because of what i've witnessed over the past few years.
G-Maulisher

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #13708 on: December 18, 2014, 06:44:34 PM »

The only complete buyout that I am aware of was by some of the former Paragon management. Aside from that; which fell through for a plethora of reasons... the only other attempt with any traction...is the current negotiations.

Not to give false hope, but the duration which negotiations have taken...is a very positive sign. Usually deals like this are make or break within the first month of talks.
Since this has gone on for months gives me great hope that both parties are approaching these negotiations in good faith and that when things are worked out... a deal will be made.

I know people say it a lot on here, but patiently waiting is all we can do at the moment. Just know that those involved...want what everyone wants... to be a hero again in Paragon (Or to wreak havoc in the Rogue Isles :) ).

Again, this was probably brought up, attempted and answered already and i apologize . There was an attempt of a complete buyout? And they denied to realease it no matter what? No amount could get them to sell? The reason i'm asking is because of what i've witnessed over the past few years.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13709 on: December 18, 2014, 06:54:07 PM »

The original deal was nearly complete while the game was still running. There were personality issues between some on that team and the NCSoft management. I won't go into who - because it isn't helpful to what we are doing now. It is a very different thing from we will never sell it to you - to we will never sell it.

The days of a complete take over are gone again due to the way it was shutdown.

goeritz

• Underling
« Reply #13710 on: December 18, 2014, 07:16:58 PM »
The reason I asked is because its been 2 years now. MWM raised over 600k in a fairly short period of time mainly from the fanbase. Thats not including the few other fanbase created succesors in the works and what they raised. What stopped the core group of people leading all this from getting a buyout price? Then coming to the fanbase, saying this is what we need. Theres always a price. I'm sure the amount would have been reached at some point eventually. Even if it was a buyout with a royalty percentage. Yes, the fanbase would have to trust whomever the core group is running the deal, but if it worked it would have techinally been a fan based ownership. As long as the fans were taken care of, im sure most wouldnt complain about anything. Have in game purchases again, hell charge $5.00 a month, no one would care. To be able to pay for maintenance and to pay the new devs to do what is needed. Save any profit, put it away for if some reason the fanbase stops supporting the game, christ donate the profits to a charity as far as im concerned. It all woud have been up to the fanbase then to keep it alive as long everyone wanted. Its all hindsite now with the successors.  Unless the buyout amount was absolutely unreachable.
G-Maulisher

goeritz

• Underling
« Reply #13711 on: December 18, 2014, 07:19:46 PM »
Just my 2 cents, im aware its past that point now. M happy with anything if it ends up working.
G-Maulisher

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #13712 on: December 18, 2014, 07:28:47 PM »

It is not about money... it is about dealing with a Korean business culture. There's no sense in speculating now on any of that... there is negotiations already in motion. Again... be patient. pricing models etc will come out once the deal is signed and the specifics worked out. There is no sense focusing on the past of what could have happened..should have happened... etc... instead focus on today...and tomorrow.

The reason I asked is because its been 2 years now. MWM raised over 600k in a fairly short period of time mainly from the fanbase. Thats not including the few other fanbase created succesors in the works and what they raised. What stopped the core group of people leading all this from getting a buyout price? Then coming to the fanbase, saying this is what we need. Theres always a price. I'm sure the amount would have been reached at some point eventually. Even if it was a buyout with a royalty percentage. Yes, the fanbase would have to trust whomever the core group is running the deal, but if it worked it would have techinally been a fan based ownership. As long as the fans were taken care of, im sure most wouldnt complain about anything. Have in game purchases again, hell charge $5.00 a month, no one would care. To be able to pay for maintenance and to pay the new devs to do what is needed. Save any profit, put it away for if some reason the fanbase stops supporting the game, christ donate the profits to a charity as far as im concerned. It all woud have been up to the fanbase then to keep it alive as long everyone wanted. Its all hindsite now with the successors.  Unless the buyout amount was absolutely unreachable.

goeritz

• Underling
« Reply #13713 on: December 18, 2014, 08:15:08 PM »
It is kind of a today thing isn't it? What if the negotiations fall through? Everything has a price, especially something that is no longer in business. Its just what is that price? I understand the back-up plans, but they won't be the same, close but not the same. If the CoX fanbase truly is that great. Couldn't that also be an option before totally recreating another game. Less time and effort for everyone involved, guaranteed funds and anticipated revenues solely based on the number of fans supporting (donations)it and yes they shouls be tracked. I think its an option the fanbase should be made aware of, incase the negotiations do fall through. This is just my opinion. Im not trying to stir anything up. But if there are 3 companies out there making a successor and the current negotiations falls through. If the fanbase truly would rather see the original CoX. Get those 3 companies together, combine heads, fanbase, developers etc. Get a cost to run and add new content. Then a price from NC. Tell the fans the truth on actual amounts needed and im sure the funds would eventually come in (unless its unrealisticly possible). Just take care of the fans fairly. Again, not trying to start anything, just an option that I haven't seen posted anywhere.
G-Maulisher

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13714 on: December 18, 2014, 08:49:23 PM »
It is kind of a today thing isn't it? What if the negotiations fall through? Everything has a price, especially something that is no longer in business. Its just what is that price? I understand the back-up plans, but they won't be the same, close but not the same. If the CoX fanbase truly is that great. Couldn't that also be an option before totally recreating another game. Less time and effort for everyone involved, guaranteed funds and anticipated revenues solely based on the number of fans supporting (donations)it and yes they shouls be tracked. I think its an option the fanbase should be made aware of, incase the negotiations do fall through. This is just my opinion. Im not trying to stir anything up. But if there are 3 companies out there making a successor and the current negotiations falls through. If the fanbase truly would rather see the original CoX. Get those 3 companies together, combine heads, fanbase, developers etc. Get a cost to run and add new content. Then a price from NC. Tell the fans the truth on actual amounts needed and im sure the funds would eventually come in (unless its unrealisticly possible). Just take care of the fans fairly. Again, not trying to start anything, just an option that I haven't seen posted anywhere.

I know you haven't read it all so let's see if I can make this the deal in a nutshell:

1. NCSoft pulled away from the first deal with Paragon Studios.
2. The game was not shutdown to resell it. It was shutdown to provide proof of IP if it was infringed on - say a reverse engineered game.
3. The reasons for the shutdown were buried in rumors even internally in NCSoft.
4. I got information on what happened and contacted some of the former management in NCSoft that had worked with City of Heroes.
5. I got more information on why the deal failed and cleared up most of the rumors.
6. Nate had an idea based on my thoughts of getting the IP separate from the game - then it was expanded upon when they found the game itself was at a doable price to buy.
7. What they are buying is NOT the source code of the game so you can easily develop it. It is mostly disk images from the servers - so you can return the game to its last state but it would be expensive to develop further.
8. The deal became Nate helping get the right people in touch with NCSoft and helping them to buy the Classic CoH on a maintenance mode to get it operating and to buy the IP to leasing it out as official CoH successors - not "spiritual" but actual licensed.

Now MWM is not part of the deal other than Nate wants to have the "Official" license for CoH on CoT. Irish girl is making CoH 1.5 which is basically an exact port (much as possible) of CoH to a much easier engine to develop - Unreal 4.

The original source code has something in it that might allow you to access some of NCSoft's other games and so they will not or cannot sell it.

I hope that makes sense.

BadWolf

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13715 on: December 18, 2014, 09:00:00 PM »

It wasn't that the buyout amount was unreachable, it's that it took quite some time and effort to determine who to bring an offer to. NCSoft is a big company, and the people capable of making a decision like this don't just take meetings with anyone off the street. A lot of work needed to be done to get in touch with the right people, and to convince those people that the offer being brought to them was legitimate. That, more than money, is what delayed this and is what is continuing to do so. Most of the people who want to make "contingency plans" if the current deal falls through are missing that point--all the money in the world won't help you if you don't know who's selling and what they want. :)

goeritz

• Underling
« Reply #13716 on: December 18, 2014, 09:01:36 PM »
I have read through all the other parts. The missing portion was the source code having access to other NC games that I didn't know about. Which makes the "unable to buyout as a whole" understandable now.
G-Maulisher

goeritz

• Underling
« Reply #13717 on: December 18, 2014, 09:07:37 PM »
I understand completely. NC isn't going to just sit down with anyone off the street and say yeah sure! I just didn't know about the extra content linked to the code.
G-Maulisher

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #13718 on: December 19, 2014, 03:01:02 AM »
I have been following both of the the pertinent threads for a few months now, but I have not posted anything until now.

First, a little background.  I played CoH starting about 10 days after it went live, and stayed until just a few months before it shut down.  It was my first MMO, and even though I tried a few others during the time it was online, I always came back because there was just no substitute!  My son started playing when he was 8, and by the end, I was asking him questions about all the new features!  I think I can honestly say that we both miss the game, and WILL be back as soon as it becomes available again!

If I have a gripe about the efforts to make that happen, it is this.  While I realize that NCSoft has the right to do this however they wish, up to, and including not doing it all; I have to wonder about the wisdom of their slow, methodical approach in this particular endeavor.  The phrase "Strike while the iron is hot" comes to mind.  In this case, the time they are taking to finalize an agreement, and the lack of any encouraging news adds up to a daily diminishing value for the property.  Because, let's face it - that value is now directly tied to remaining interest in the game.  That interest will continue to wane as the months go by if there is not more than "no news is good news", and "have faith" to offer.  It is human nature. 

Bottom line:  NCSoft has the right to handle this any damned way they please, and they have demonstrated that is exactly what they intend to do.  I personally think that this approach is counter intuitive, and counter productive when dealing with a game that has been out of the mainstream for over two years.  I can only hope that WHEN this does finally get off the ground, that the community has not diminished to the point where long term viability will be questionable.  In the end, it matters little what I, or anyone else thinks about the state of this process, but since this is a discussion forum, and this is the topic at hand.....I am jumping into the discussion!  Now that I am all caught up to everyone else, in so much as bitching about the glacial pace of things, I will continue to check back periodically in the hopes of seeing good news.

BTW, I apologize for the lousy avatar.  It was all I could find on short notice that was CoH related.  I know it is way too small to see, but it is a screen shot of one of my many characters (Mastermind) at the exact moment when he hit level 50.  I will be looking around for something more fitting.
What was no more, is now reborn!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13719 on: December 19, 2014, 03:14:26 AM »
Seeing your Avatar reminds me of some of the ways I would get some of my alts to 50 as time passed in the game.

When they added in the restoration of health/stamina and buffed with all inspirations when you leveled up, when I was L49.9 and close to hitting 50, I'd shut off XP gain, then when I was teamed with some pals I'd let myself get taken down, reactivate XP and in a bout a minute I'd rez as a 50, quickly reactivate all powers and start pulverizing the enemy.

A couple of characters I finished getting to 50 via badging.  Getting a map badge was about 1000xp at that point so when I was about 10,000xp away I'd grab some map badges then make sure when I needed one left, I'd activate walk and stroll up to the badge.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!