Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7273036 times)

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #13540 on: December 03, 2014, 01:32:18 AM »
She was killed by a meer arrow, not vaporized, sliced up or anything extreme... and in a City full of heroes... well it seems to me that atleast one empath would of been able to heal and revive her. The whole arc to me was still entertaining and interesting but it seems pretty clear that all they wanted to do was kill off two of the signature characters and if anything Statesman should of been killed by his arch rival Recluse... not some nobody...

Yup!
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13541 on: December 03, 2014, 01:34:10 AM »
Actually, I think it would have been cool if Recluse had been taken down at the same as Statesman. Having the two most powerful NPCs gone would have made for a great storyline. Ghost Widow was much more popular than Recluse anyway and she could have stepped up to lead Arachnos. :D

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13542 on: December 03, 2014, 01:36:32 AM »
She was killed by a meer arrow, not vaporized, sliced up or anything extreme... and in a City full of heroes... well it seems to me that atleast one empath would of been able to heal and revive her. The whole arc to me was still entertaining and interesting but it seems pretty clear that all they wanted to do was kill off two of the signature characters and if anything Statesman should of been killed by his arch rival Recluse... not some nobody...

She spent the first few issues of the game as a ghost outside of the Indie Port hospital and she had the mind-riding power according to lore. 

I figured she would come back in some form.  Statesman would be replaced by some kind of "other" Statesman whether it was a robot, future self, past self,  clone, or Cousin Jeb from Dimension X.

I would have liked Manticore to go to Hell in a Handbasket and take it on himself to clean house, but instead create a new batch of problems along with the Coming Storm, Dimensionals and any other big plots going on.

....and Arachnos needed a reboot, refresh... something that involved Red Widow breaking free and setting the Universal Balance by eliminating Recluse or creating new Statesman.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #13543 on: December 03, 2014, 01:58:05 AM »

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #13544 on: December 03, 2014, 01:59:24 AM »
Actually, I think it would have been cool if Recluse had been taken down at the same as Statesman. Having the two most powerful NPCs gone would have made for a great storyline. Ghost Widow was much more popular than Recluse anyway and she could have stepped up to lead Arachnos. :D

Well ghostwidow was a stylish sexy undead woman. I mean who couldn't like that more?

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13545 on: December 03, 2014, 02:35:27 AM »
I think it would have been better if Recluse and Statesman were fighting each other near a dimensional portal, and when the portal explodes they are gone except for pieces of their masks. 

Presumed dead but the door is open for a return of either or both.

Then the Phalanx and Arachnos would have to establish new leadership and see a new balance of power between the two.

Also as to Sister Psyche, I suspect her mind is in another body and that if her body was revived it would be mindless until she was returned to it.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13546 on: December 03, 2014, 02:35:37 AM »
BOLD: So basically what you want is for like 2% of the entire population to be able to play it. Gotcha. What a terribad idea.

UNDERLINE: Requiring super-duper incarnate powers (which requires a ton of raid-sized group play) and then restricting it to a solo arc is...kinda dumb...

Firstly, it was mostly a joke response.
The only part I would say is appropriate would be that anything adjusting the main characters lives (the mythos of the game) should be reserved for end game content. I personally disagreed with the devs decision to make those kinds of story arcs for lower level players. 

Secondly, only 2% of the population did Incarnate content? That's news to me.

Third, please refrain from the "kinda dumb" comments. I don't use them when I post.

Cogito, Ergo... eh?

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13547 on: December 03, 2014, 04:09:28 AM »

You indicated Level 3 or higher in Omega, which is where I assume the 2% number comes in.

Third, please refrain from the "kinda dumb" comments. I don't use them when I post.

oooo mod got told

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13548 on: December 03, 2014, 06:03:28 AM »
Only a percentage of people got to fifty, only a percentage of those even opened Alpha, only a percentage of those went higher, and as you rise in Incarnate power, more and more percentages get shaved off. Eventually you're left with, like, three people. Do you really want to restrict important lore-related content to something that, like, three people will get to see? Personally, I'd make it a signature arc. Pay your five bucks and you unlock it on every one of your 50s. Still restricted to the people who actually get to 50, but at least that's a far more significant portion of the population than people who climbed Alpha (take a few percent out), Judgement/Interface (take a few more percent out), Lore/Destiny (take a few MORE percent out), Hybrid (continue the trend), Genesis (keep it going), Mind (reduce numbers further), Vitae (here we go again), and three levels of Omega (that's a lot of people to lose to attrition)...the end result would be a vanishingly small number of people.

It is. Completely illogical. Aka kinda dumb. I didn't say you were kinda dumb, I said the idea was. :)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #13549 on: December 03, 2014, 06:31:57 AM »
Count me in that two percent, on multiple toons and servers.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13550 on: December 03, 2014, 07:10:58 AM »
Only a percentage of people got to fifty, only a percentage of those even opened Alpha, only a percentage of those went higher, and as you rise in Incarnate power, more and more percentages get shaved off. Eventually you're left with, like, three people. Do you really want to restrict important lore-related content to something that, like, three people will get to see? Personally, I'd make it a signature arc. Pay your five bucks and you unlock it on every one of your 50s. Still restricted to the people who actually get to 50, but at least that's a far more significant portion of the population than people who climbed Alpha (take a few percent out), Judgement/Interface (take a few more percent out), Lore/Destiny (take a few MORE percent out), Hybrid (continue the trend), Genesis (keep it going), Mind (reduce numbers further), Vitae (here we go again), and three levels of Omega (that's a lot of people to lose to attrition)...the end result would be a vanishingly small number of people.
It is. Completely illogical. Aka kinda dumb. I didn't say you were kinda dumb, I said the idea was. :)

Let me say I'm not trying to start any kind of a fight so the earlier comment from darkgob really doesn't apply. Sorry DG.

Ok, now to the response.

That kind of was the joke. Setting it up in such a way that it was incredibly hard to get to and would make our little Irish Lass cough over the concept of doing that much work. I think you might have missed my inference that the decision you make will actually change the game.
I know my sense of humor is not universally gotten and yes, some jokes do miss. I guess we can chalk this one up to that... unless you are just trolling the absurd for fun... Nah, no one on the internet would do such a thing. :)

But I still say more than 2% did the Incarnate thing.

That being said, we are actually fairly close to having the same real concept. I actually would want to have story arcs that contain a permanent change in the Mythos of the game, like killing off characters, to be level 50 content only. 

The sentence structure of your line ending with "... kinda dumb..." gave a slight inference that you were pointing the insult at me in addition to pointing it at the idea/joke. I took it as a double entendre anyway.

If not, no harm no foul.

Now let us all go to the Ski Chalet for a glass of eggnog and some traying in celebration of the season.
For the uninitiated, Traying is the same as snowboarding but was done using cafeteria trays which we had to steal... not that I was involved. It also involves more drunk people. :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 07:40:44 AM by Ankhammon »
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #13551 on: December 03, 2014, 07:16:52 AM »

But then there's always the alternative question, isn't there?
"What will happen to Manticore in Revival?"

Obviously he becomes a vigilante and starts killing or maiming his enemies!
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13552 on: December 03, 2014, 07:41:57 AM »
Obviously he becomes a vigilante and starts killing or maiming his enemies!

Does he start calling himself the Arrow? Does he get a really cute assistant too?
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #13553 on: December 03, 2014, 09:12:07 AM »
Does he start calling himself the Arrow? Does he get a really cute assistant too?

Hm m m, no, I don't think there will be any name change needed, but the cute assistant could work!  ;D

He just needs to represent the changes a toon goes through when changing alignment.

We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #13554 on: December 03, 2014, 12:17:43 PM »
I love it when you guys start talking about lore stuff like this.

I sit around giggling going "I know what's gonna haaaappeeeen."
and then I can't say anything....Cuz spoilers.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Stealth Dart

• Boss
  • Martial Artists kick butt with style
« Reply #13555 on: December 03, 2014, 01:54:14 PM »
 :-X
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 01:09:23 PM by Stealth Dart »
I am a dancer, a leaf in the wind...a leaf that can kick your Butt!

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13556 on: December 03, 2014, 02:00:22 PM »
I had five level 50 Incarnate characters all maxed out to tier 4 on the available Incarnate slots at the time of game close.  So I guess that makes me one of the "Three"  LOL

I had about 30 or 40 incarnated characters, but only one with full hybrid.

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #13557 on: December 03, 2014, 02:34:45 PM »
I love it when you guys start talking about lore stuff like this.

I sit around giggling going "I know what's gonna haaaappeeeen."
and then I can't say anything....Cuz spoilers.

That makes me happy that there WILL be a future for things to happen in!
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #13558 on: December 03, 2014, 03:00:39 PM »
I had a few fully incarnated characters. On the server I was on, it wasn't hard to get full raids going for most of the iTrials. Sometimes there were more than one competing for members, too. One could estimate how many players were on (using the player search function cleverly, iirc) and I would say incarnates were sometimes 10% of players logged on.

Still, I understand where the sub-set of sub-set comes from. And one can't know in advance how many people would get incarnated in a new/revived CoH, or how long it would be before enough were commonly around to fill a big raid for the more difficult trials. The first few people to unlock Alpha might feel kind of lonely.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #13559 on: December 03, 2014, 04:53:30 PM »
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame