Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7293080 times)

Last Known Hero

• Minion
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #9080 on: August 18, 2014, 09:45:52 PM »
You may notice some creative editing here. Last word for now on anything.

Very good idea Ironwolf. Keep your head clear of this mess.

Anyways, I don't see an issue, there's nothing to worry about. Maybe moving this thread would be a good idea tho. Justin's post points to here, if "Here" was a dead link then hes got nothing to stand on. I think it should be taken care of quickly tho
Contender's Lil Bro - Stone/NRG Tank
Freedom

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #9081 on: August 18, 2014, 09:47:28 PM »
You may notice some creative editing here. Last word for now on anything.
Cool, I do have to say this made me mad abit I was hoping to be able to go home again at some point :( I really hope NcSoft does not pull out of this deal, because I think it would make the next effort that much harder to complete.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #9082 on: August 18, 2014, 09:52:27 PM »
Creating a thread about the possible sale on the main CoH community website, then giving semi-regular updates over the months, generating 450+ pages, over 9,000 replies and close to a quarter of a million views makes it kinda hard to say "but shhh! Don't tell!" to anyone who thinks it might be worth writing an article about.
I get why sharing something this exciting with the community would seem like a good idea, but if NCsoft were going to throw another tantrum over publicity, it might have been better to keep this to the limited access area of the forums, or not even mentioned it until ti was a done deal.
Except that when the thread was started the desire to let others know that something was finally happening far outweighed any consideration of a need for discretion that wasn't obvious or known. Also, while this thread is technically public it's not exactly in a high traffic area of the internet where anyone is likely to look unless they already know what they're looking for in the first place. That bulletin board in the back of a laundromat in a small town might technically be public, but few people who aren't regulars will look for news there unless someone leads them to it.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

tomborocks1

• Underling
« Reply #9083 on: August 18, 2014, 09:53:43 PM »
I just saw the Massively article and it pissed me off so much, I set up a username and commented. That was a piss poor excuse for an article and I called the guy on it. No journalist worth their salt should be posting an article on a widely read gamer site based on a tip from a guy named Duane.

It almost seems like it was done purposefully. If the guy scoured the forum pages in an effort to undermine the effort, then he is truly a spiteful, little, miserable man.

Sorry. Tangent over. I just got really pissed at the possible undermining of a truly herculean effort.

BB

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #9084 on: August 18, 2014, 09:57:32 PM »
Does this mean no more updates until further notice or are we going to have be in the dark until the deal does or does not go through?

PS. Congrats on your grandchild
I think that would be best imho, keep everything secret now that way NcSoft wont feel hassled and would see what the team has done with their project unimpeded.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9085 on: August 18, 2014, 09:59:10 PM »
I just saw the Massively article and it pissed me off so much, I set up a username and commented. That was a piss poor excuse for an article and I called the guy on it. No journalist worth their salt should be posting an article on a widely read gamer site based on a tip from a guy named Duane.

It almost seems like it was done purposefully. If the guy scoured the forum pages in an effort to undermine the effort, then he is truly a spiteful, little, miserable man.

Sorry. Tangent over. I just got really pissed at the possible undermining of a truly herculean effort.

BB

I personally feel that way to.  The fact the guy kind of talked down at the efforts to make a spiritual successor said a lot to me looking at it.  I also feel that the timing was that way to.  I decided to post there telling them that the biggest thing is, well, we don't want people spamming NCSoft, but meh, I feel the damage may be done, I just hope NCSoft understands or hope that no one reading the article will get the wrong idea but I'm sure some will.  Always going to be morons who ignore the warnings we'd been telling them to not spam ncsoft.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9086 on: August 18, 2014, 09:59:46 PM »
I think that would be best imho, keep everything secret now that way NcSoft wont feel hassled and would see what the team has done with their project unimpeded.

Yeah, it's unfortunate but I'm guessing no updates until the deal comes through from now on.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #9087 on: August 18, 2014, 10:41:42 PM »
I realize the sentiment is foreign to the internet...

But everybody juuuust chillll  8)
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Blightrix

• Underling
« Reply #9088 on: August 18, 2014, 10:52:16 PM »
Yeah, it's unfortunate but I'm guessing no updates until the deal comes through from now on.

Ouch. That sucks but it makes sense. Thanks for the responses though.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9089 on: August 18, 2014, 10:53:14 PM »
I realize the sentiment is foreign to the internet...

But everybody juuuust chillll  8)

If they didn't leave out the critical part of whats been said already to not bother NcSoft I wouldn't have been as bothered at it.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #9090 on: August 18, 2014, 10:59:46 PM »
It was a blurb really. Hopefully if we don't give it to much attention it'll get buried under other articles. The thing that got me though is. This guy is suppose to be a Journalist? I'd assume that any real Journalist that was really interested in this. Would of token the 2 mins to create an account here and talked to the community. I mean this thread has numerious post in it daily. It's not like it's a dead thread at all. If he wanted to dig deeper and understand what was really going on. He would of token the time to talk to the community.

Now that I've vented alittle.... I guess no news is good news with the situation as it is. I agree with Ironwolf, it'd probably be best not to get any more updates until the deal is done one way or the others. THANKS MASSIVELY.

Grats on the grand baby Ironwolf can't wait to see the pics :).

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9091 on: August 18, 2014, 11:21:38 PM »
Deleted a couple posts. The author/mod reaction on Massively sucks, but let's keep things civil please. *WE'RE* the bigger people, here, so let's keep it that way.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Shifter

• Boss
« Reply #9092 on: August 18, 2014, 11:33:56 PM »
Deleted a couple posts. The author/mod reaction on Massively sucks, but let's keep things civil please. *WE'RE* the bigger people, here, so let's keep it that way.

Plus, all that talk is making me really hungry for pancakes!
*drool*
Stone Tank
Freedom Server

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
  • Follow my on Twitter @LunaEclypse
    • Luna Eclypse on VirtueVerse
« Reply #9093 on: August 18, 2014, 11:36:27 PM »
Yeah I think this should be kept on the down low for now. If history is any indication, people with an intent to harm something that has no bearing on them will do so without a second thought. Just as people with no inclination to understand a situation they're running their mouths about will continue to run their mouths to the point of beating a dead horse.

Ironwolf, if you still feel the urge to want to tell us something, maybe try keeping it to one general word to describe the climate of the situation. Like "good," "bad," "neutral" ... "banana."
"The Remarkable Dazzling"
Luna Eclypse

Sihada

• Minion
« Reply #9094 on: August 18, 2014, 11:46:54 PM »
Howdy folks. I'm Duane and I'm the guy who contacted Justin at Massively.

I'm sure lots of you want my head, but I thought I'd come here and explain my reasons for contacting Massively; after which you are free to reach whatever conclusions you wish.

I'm as big a fan of CoH as anyone here. I played in the beta, I preordered, and I maintained my paid subscription status to the end. I took great delight in playing with my kids, running behind them with an Empathy Defender and doing my darndest to keep them out of permadebt (is there anything more reckless than a ten-year-old boy playing a Fire Blaster?).

I've downloaded the Icon package, and my kids and I still enjoy dreamin up new heroes. If CoH returns, I'll be first in line with my wallet out.

Let me be clear about what I did and did not do. I did not tell Justin "hey you should go check this out!" and point him to this thread.  What I -did- do was ask him if he had heard anything to corroborate the information that was being shared in this thread. That was the extent of our contact, and as of this writing I have not heard back from him.

If this has made any of you angry, then I apologize.  I understand and share the passion for CoH that many of you have. If I've caused you stress or heartache or disappointment, I'm genuinely sorry.

However, as has been pointed out, this is a public forum.  This thread is visible even to guests/unregistered users.  I assumed, reasonably, that any information posted in such an environment was not the sort of material that would be considered sensitive or secret. If the people involved in the negotiations thought that the information here was likely to disrupt their endeavor, then I would have thought that the post would be redacted or deleted after the first fifty or hundred thousand pageviews.

Some of you will think me insincere and some of you will be so angry with me as to spit on me; I can accept that.  Again, to anyone who's been made distraught by the Massively article, I apologize.  To those who would accuse me of violating some sort of confidentiality, I would respectfully disagree for the reasons stated above.

I look forward to the return of CoH, as well as the launches of City of Titans and Heroes and Villains with an eager heart and open wallet.

Please forgive any typos here; I'm on an iPhone 4s and I have big thumbs.

Shadowe

• Boss
  • Just don't tell Manticore...
« Reply #9095 on: August 19, 2014, 12:00:38 AM »
Duane,

If you have a contact at Massively and did as you say, which is merely to query whether that contact has any independent corroboration of the negotiations as reported here, then I bear you no malice. It's not your fault that Massively decided that it was worth a report.

As you and many others have said, this is a public forum, and these posts are available to anyone to read and draw their own conclusions from.

The situation could be different, and I might wish for a less blunt appraisal of these efforts by one of the big MMORPG reporting sites, but it is what it is. As long as NCSoft aren't inundated with queries sufficient to drive them from the negotiating table, I have no problem.
The wisdom of Shadowe: Ghostraptor: The Shadowe is wise ...; FFM: Shadowe is no longer wise. ; Techbot_Alpha: Also, what Shadowe said. It seems he is still somewhat wise ; Bull Throttle: Shadowe was unwise in this instance...; Rock_Powerfist: in this instance Shadowe is wise.; Techbot_Alpha: Shadowe is very wise *nods*; Zortel: *Quotable line about Shadowe being wise goes here.* FFM: I think you're mostly wise in this instance, apart from one part.

Zerohour

• Lieutenant
  • Trapped in the Speed Force
« Reply #9096 on: August 19, 2014, 12:13:57 AM »
Why is NCSoft so gun shy??  Any company would be *thrilled* to get this level of excitement and interest on a possibly resurrected IP.  I don't understand why everyone is so afraid that NCSoft will see all of our eagerness and be scared away from selling the property.  It doesn't make sense to me at all.

Last Known Hero

• Minion
« Reply #9097 on: August 19, 2014, 12:15:16 AM »
Glad you posted to defend yourself even with the amount of heckling that could come at you.

I truly think it's only going to be a big deal if we choose to make it a big deal
. I don't think it will have any effect on the CoH purchase if things continue on as normal. I'd also agree with IW for no further updates too.
Contender's Lil Bro - Stone/NRG Tank
Freedom

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
  • Follow my on Twitter @LunaEclypse
    • Luna Eclypse on VirtueVerse
« Reply #9098 on: August 19, 2014, 12:17:33 AM »
Duane, if your intentions were good, I haven't a problem with your actions. But, now that you're here, you should understand that this whole situation needs to be handled subtly, slowly, and by NCsoft's rules. They don't want any hoopla coming their way from the vocal minority that can't behave themselves and we definitely don't need any news outlets covering it right now. Mums the word.

This is a company based in the Korean corporate world these buyers are dealing with. There's a huge cultural divide between them and the western corporate world. What sounds logical and sensible to us doesn't necessarily to them and this was a point that was SO incredibly hard to get across with everyone that raged at NCsoft throughout the sunset of the game.

Right now we need everyone to put on their big boy/girl pants and behave, stay quiet, stay civil, and be patient. NCsoft is holding the former players in the same regard as these prospective buyers and I don't blame them considering all the noise we made. But, sometimes, we have to do things we don't like to get what we want.
"The Remarkable Dazzling"
Luna Eclypse

Dal

• Minion
« Reply #9099 on: August 19, 2014, 12:20:20 AM »
Duane, just relax. I don't think this will be an issue, we're probably just giving it too much importance. You didn't act on bad faith, and that's what matters to me. Hopefully you and your kids will be enjoying the game with us sometime soon. :)