Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7210177 times)

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #8580 on: August 12, 2014, 12:13:08 PM »
Saying yes or no puts Ironwolf in a hard position: it implies he might or might not have more information than he can say about the company, its efforts, its capabilities, and its status with NCSoft.

It's very much like the scene in The Godfather where Kay Adams tries to give Consigliere Tom Hagan a letter for the absent Michael Corleone.  Hagan has to not take the letter--the bait, if you will--because the very act of taking that note from Kay would imply in a court of law that he knows the missing Michael's whereabouts, whether he truly knows or not.

In addition, the potential new team might even be comprised of current or former members from various companies--some out on the market already, some never with published experience.  A safe wager, and likely a realistic one, is that the new team is a company without published experience as this company, even if its constituent members have experience working with many published games and titles.  Thus, NCSoft has every right to ask what this company can do.

In addition to that, if we are dealing with an established company, NCSoft has just as much right to ask for a display of technical competence.  Just because an established company could make, say, a great Bejeweled style game doesn't mean that it has the capability to oversee a great superhero MMO.

Therefore, with all the above put together, Ironwolf likely cannot and should not say anything that might even be taken as a hint toward yes or no.  It would not only start rumor mills to churning and questions to asking, but it would also potentially endanger the status of the overall project.  He took a big risk in saying one name that the company was not, earlier, and even that could have serious potential ramifications.

Granted, I can't speak for him, but this is what I firmly believe his position likely is, even without hearing from him personally.  It's the safest way to go with the affair.  It's not plausible deniability, but it is the next best thing: essentially, taking the Fifth.
Excellent response. *thumbs up*
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Relitner

• Boss
  • ree-LITE-ner
« Reply #8581 on: August 12, 2014, 12:53:15 PM »
Why can't you people make a new thread to talk about food? You people are just taking up space and forcing people to read through hundreds of pages just to find important information. Then you wonder why people come in here wondering what info is what and someone stupidly answers go to page one.. I think people should stop rattling and cool off. The next information to hit the page should be from ironwolf and what is going on with the team. Too many topics here could be created and talked about somewhere else. To have people who don't come here often come back and sift through 30+ pages isn't fair to anyone. Just my 2cents here.

Have some pie. You'll feel better.
I love me some pumpkin pie... mmmmm....
in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti amen

sindyr

• Boss
« Reply #8582 on: August 12, 2014, 01:15:33 PM »
Mini spoiler: quote from Guardians of the Galaxy:

Rocket Raccoon: [about Drax] Metaphors go over his head.
Drax the Destroyer: NOTHING goes over my head!... My reflexes are too fast, I would catch it.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #8583 on: August 12, 2014, 01:24:50 PM »
It is enough for us to know that the group looking to buy CoX has not been rejected out of hand by NCSoft, that they are asking the group to prove their competence, and that NCSoft would not waste their time if it was clear that:

a) they (NCSoft) didn't want to sell CoX
b) the group pursuing the license did not have the talent, skill and ability to run, maintain AND develop the product with excellence.

I have no special knowledge about this effort other than what has been posted in this thread, and some 35 years of experience in sales and marketing to inform my response. Other than that, just pure conjecture.

I eagerly look forward to the success of whatever organization acquires CoX (and CoX2)! ;D
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Reaper

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8584 on: August 12, 2014, 01:39:59 PM »
Why can't you people make a new thread to talk about food? You people are just taking up space and forcing people to read through hundreds of pages just to find important information. Then you wonder why people come in here wondering what info is what and someone stupidly answers go to page one.. I think people should stop rattling and cool off. The next information to hit the page should be from ironwolf and what is going on with the team. Too many topics here could be created and talked about somewhere else. To have people who don't come here often come back and sift through 30+ pages isn't fair to anyone. Just my 2cents here.

And what would you have people talk about here?  More speculations on the game?  I don't think it really matters what people talk about here, it is just nice to see this kind of activity again on these forums.  Although many lurk, I don't think everyone here would be running around to different topics to read/post about everything that has been said.  This thread has given everyone an opportunity to learn more about each other, or at least those willing to post about anything.  What are you contributing?  All your rant did was do the exact thing you are complaining about: Taking up more space that could have been better utilized.
Patiently lurking from the shadows...

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
  • Follow my on Twitter @LunaEclypse
    • Luna Eclypse on VirtueVerse
« Reply #8585 on: August 12, 2014, 02:52:18 PM »
Also, I'm fairly certain if any pertinent info comes up that we need to know, Ironwolf could just edit the first post with the new information and time/date stamp it. In fact I'd recommend that just to make things easier.

I would join the food discussions but I'm on a diet.  :o
"The Remarkable Dazzling"
Luna Eclypse

Deadflame2

• Not quite as dead as Deadflame1
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #8586 on: August 12, 2014, 03:09:55 PM »

No one is forcing anyone to do anything, other than look at the first post in this thread.  Everything else is entirely irrelevant.  The first post in this thread will have the absolute latest information.  IronWolf will update the first post if there are any changes.  Until then, absolutely no one is being forced to read this entire thread.  Keep your 2 cents, pennies have been taken out of circulation.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 03:17:28 PM by Deadflame2 »
Reminder: No game = No data, no characters...nothing.  However, no data/characters != No game.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #8587 on: August 12, 2014, 03:44:54 PM »
Also, I'm fairly certain if any pertinent info comes up that we need to know, Ironwolf could just edit the first post with the new information and time/date stamp it. In fact I'd recommend that just to make things easier.

I would join the food discussions but I'm on a diet.  :o

That is exactly what is currently happening.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #8588 on: August 12, 2014, 03:46:00 PM »
That is exactly what is currently happening.

Plus every time TheDevilYouKnow posts, you can see it in his signature... ;P
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Shifter

• Boss
« Reply #8589 on: August 12, 2014, 04:10:34 PM »
I'd totally be up for this.... Anyone else from central Florida on here? :P

I'm in VA, so like a 24 hour round trip for me if I attended. I think my head would explode spending 24 hours in a car driving instead of playing when the game first comes up.
Stone Tank
Freedom Server

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #8590 on: August 12, 2014, 04:15:22 PM »

Here's two cents worth of pie to you! Enjoy your pie!

AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8591 on: August 12, 2014, 04:18:27 PM »
You are exactly right that I won't reply about the studio until they say it is ok.

When that happens you will doubtless know who and what they are due to them releasing information on buying/running the game or breakdown of the talks. I really don't see the latter happening since they are happily jumping through every hoop. I will ask if they can share more but I would not expect much honestly.

I would believe most is under NDA now. In the past I got around this by asking questions and the things they could not discuss were what was happening. I personally am patient now to know they are working on it and the next bit of information will likely be a thumbs up or down.

Voltixdark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8592 on: August 12, 2014, 04:22:22 PM »
No one is forcing anyone to do anything, other than look at the first post in this thread.  Everything else is entirely irrelevant.  The first post in this thread will have the absolute latest information.  IronWolf will update the first post if there are any changes.  Until then, absolutely no one is being forced to read this entire thread.  Keep your 2 cents, pennies have been taken out of circulation.

Whatever I'm just tired of hearing you people talk about nothing. What have I contributed? What have you? I like to come to this page and see real information on the project. I have an opinion here as everyone else. My 2 cents remain.

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #8593 on: August 12, 2014, 04:24:20 PM »

Whatever I'm just tired of hearing you people talk about nothing. What have I contributed? What have you? I like to come to this page and see real information on the project. I have an opinion here as everyone else. My 2 cents remain.

^
Real information just above your post. :)
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Voltixdark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8594 on: August 12, 2014, 04:25:42 PM »
This reminds me of an old brain teaser.  Fred's mom had four kids.  The first she named Quarter.  The second she named Dime.  The third she named Nickel.  What did she name the fourth one?

DiaBOLical!

Oh, and the answer to the brain teaser, of course, is Fred.

Whats that suppose to mean? an insult?

Serpine

• Biting Commentarian
  • Boss
  • Telegram force and ready
« Reply #8595 on: August 12, 2014, 04:34:01 PM »
To have people who don't come here often come back and sift through 30+ pages isn't fair to anyone.
My theory is just always hit the last page if you don't want food talk: If a legitimate small update appears it will likely be quoted and discussed multiple times. Or if the "big word" actually comes down as a positive it will just be a page of cheers and "OMG"s. Or if things turn out negative there will be rapidly spamming pages of rage, gnashing of teeth, and accusations. :)
Guns don't kill people, meerkats do.

Wammo

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8596 on: August 12, 2014, 04:38:39 PM »
Ironwolf,
Thanks again for keeping as informed as you can. We are all impatient...perhaps I am more so than most. But...just knowing it may be possible to play again soon (relative term I know) is a great feeling. Hope is the expectation of good and I am expecting GREAT things ahead!

Voltixdark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8597 on: August 12, 2014, 04:42:35 PM »
My theory is just always hit the last page if you don't want food talk: If a legitimate small update appears it will likely be quoted and discussed multiple times. Or if the "big word" actually comes down as a positive it will just be a page of cheers and "OMG"s. Or if things turn out negative there will be rapidly spamming pages of rage, gnashing of teeth, and accusations. :)

It is what i do exactly sift through pages just to find Ironwolf's posts. I wish there was some kind of feature on this website to suscribe to a partcular person's post on a particular thread. That be so nice.

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8598 on: August 12, 2014, 04:55:39 PM »

So you want to suppress other people's opinion on the miscellaneous topic, but want your opinions on miscellaneous topic to be recognized?

It is what i do exactly sift through pages just to find Ironwolf's posts. I wish there was some kind of feature on this website to suscribe to a partcular person's post on a particular thread. That be so nice.

You can always just add everyone not confirming with your wish list to ignore. Problem solved.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 05:04:56 PM by MM3squints »

Voltixdark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8599 on: August 12, 2014, 05:05:03 PM »
So you want to suppress other people's opinion on the miscellaneous topic, but want your opinions on miscellaneous topic to be recognized?

You must be ill. Do you see me commenting in the last hundred pages? No so your statement right there is ill-stated. FYI this isn't a thread for misc topics. It is a thread of future talks of the game and plans for the future. People are talking about what page number they think can be acheived because irrelevent topics are flowing like water here. I'm not the only who stated such things. if you go back a couple of oh idk 50+ pages perhaps you'll see a few folks with the same concern.