Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7210270 times)

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
  • Follow my on Twitter @LunaEclypse
    • Luna Eclypse on VirtueVerse
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #8520 on: August 10, 2014, 04:07:30 PM »
Well, this is kinda funny. Out of the blue, I got an email from NCsoft asking me to update my account information and verify I'm still me but I can't complete their process to tie all game accounts to my single email address. No matter what Display Name I try that follows the spelling rules, it says it's unavailable and I'm trying things that would even be unique to me.

Almost makes me think there's an inconsistency in the data that's looking for my City of Heroes info for my old Display Name because I never played any other NCsoft game to have them listed in my account. Or it could be that it's a Sunday and they're doing maintenance or something, but it is pretty weird.

And their Support section is no help because it's divided among their current games and there's no General Help choice just for basic account information. Still funny.
"The Remarkable Dazzling"
Luna Eclypse

Last Known Hero

• Minion
« Reply #8521 on: August 10, 2014, 04:14:55 PM »
That's quite odd I haven't got an email in 2 years, I tried to log in a month or so ago and got this error "The game(s) associated with this NCSOFT Master Account are no longer available."  :(
Contender's Lil Bro - Stone/NRG Tank
Freedom

Shifter

• Boss
« Reply #8522 on: August 10, 2014, 04:44:26 PM »
Well, this is kinda funny. Out of the blue, I got an email from NCsoft asking me to update my account information and verify I'm still me but I can't complete their process to tie all game accounts to my single email address. No matter what Display Name I try that follows the spelling rules, it says it's unavailable and I'm trying things that would even be unique to me.

Almost makes me think there's an inconsistency in the data that's looking for my City of Heroes info for my old Display Name because I never played any other NCsoft game to have them listed in my account. Or it could be that it's a Sunday and they're doing maintenance or something, but it is pretty weird.

And their Support section is no help because it's divided among their current games and there's no General Help choice just for basic account information. Still funny.

I'm going to put that in the "good omen" bucket.
Stone Tank
Freedom Server

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #8523 on: August 10, 2014, 05:32:16 PM »
All ncsoft master accounts were disabled at some point after shutdown. Not just city of heroes players but all accounts. You have to create a new one now as the old master account is no longer valid with the new account system. I was forced to just to play wildstar... Yes I'm playing wildstar... and while it isn't city of heroes it is still fun but not as fun.

Des_Tructive

• Lieutenant
  • SLAP!
    • Meta - Superhuman Covert Ops (german)
« Reply #8524 on: August 10, 2014, 06:36:28 PM »
Oh oh, I want to try:
In addition to Bioware being ruled out as a possible buyer, it has been announced that Lady Gaga has been ruled out as a possible buyer. Although interest was shown in the game and future development of the "Monster Summoning" power set, the City of Heroes costume creator was far to limited to make such a deal possible.

Shifter, proud mauve boycott supporter

Note: This information is completely bogus - :)

Wait if the information is bogus, does that mean Bioware and Lady Gaga are in the buyout team after all?
CoX: @DeS Tructive
TSW: BloodyCarrie; HrFaust; TheContact

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8525 on: August 10, 2014, 07:29:54 PM »
By the way guys, Mako has reason to be happy since it's shark week now.  If only the rogue isles were back....
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8526 on: August 10, 2014, 08:32:11 PM »
By the way guys, Mako has reason to be happy since it's shark week now.  If only the rogue isles were back....

WATCH OUT WOOFERS! HE'S COMING BACK!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 08:37:51 PM by Waffles »

Shifter

• Boss
« Reply #8527 on: August 10, 2014, 09:01:32 PM »
Wait if the information is bogus, does that mean Bioware and Lady Gaga are in the buyout team after all?

Without mauve? pfft
Stone Tank
Freedom Server

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8528 on: August 11, 2014, 01:11:13 AM »
For those who need a basic gaming machine (like two of my three kids), I decided to do a little experiment I like to call "how little can I spend to put together a CoX-capable desktop?".

I already did this for myself, and spent less than $200. I have two kids who played CoH right until the close, and to his credit, my stepson introduced us all to the game. Two of those three told me they no longer have basic gaming rigs, but that they'd want to play again if the game returned, so I decided I'd get enough parts to build 2 more machines roughly like what I built for myself. For the record, I have a HP/Compaq dc5800 (small form factor) desktop with 6GB Ram, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, a 1TB HDD, and a Geforce GT 640 graphics card. I was willing to go with a smaller HDD for the other machines, only 4GB RAM, and Windows 7 Home Premium (I got Pro because of a student-only upgrade thing purchased years ago).

Here's the run down of what I purchased:

- Two HP/Compaq dc5800 small form factor desktop computers (1GB RAM, no HDD, boots to BIOS), ebay from GreenCitizen (a popular corporate recycler): about $32 each (including shipping);
- 3 GB RAM (three 1GB sticks of PC6400/240-pin to bring each machine up to 4GB), $21 per machine ($7 per 1GB stick, also with free shipping, from eBay);
- Two 250GB SATAII hard drives from newegg.com for $29 each, also free shipping;
- Two GeForce GT 640 cards for PCI Express 2.0 slots with small-form-factor brackets (the dc5800 has a PCI Express 1.0 slot that's fully compatible with 2.0 hardware), cost each ~$55 ($70 each, and I happened to catch a NewEgg $30 rebate on MSI brand cards, one per customer, so I'm averaging), also free shipping;
- Two licenses for Windows 7 Home Premium, $29 each. From eBay, also free shipping;
- I had to spend $1 per mounting screw for the type needed to put HDDs into these machines, so add $4 each;
- I also installed Ubuntu 14.04.1 "alongside" Windows. Personally, I only boot to windows for games that cannot be made to run in Linux, and I boot to Ubuntu for ANYTHING else. I'm a "red pill" type, but I understand if you choose not to be. Cost: ZERO! (Yeah, some time to install, and to let Windows check the integrity of the re-sized partiiton, but no money).

Bada Bing, Bada Bing! Two CoX-capable desktop PCs, average cost each: $170 (just the computer, not the keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, network cables or power cords). About those parts: Keyboard, mouse, speakers, network cables and power cords are something I have plenty of because I've been building my own PCs for many years. If you don't have these lying around, check local garage sales, thrift stores, or ask your generous local computer geek. You should be able to find all this for dirt cheap with minimal effort. As for monitors, these are the only high-ticket item not factored in above. If you have a TV with HDMI input, you're in luck, as the MSI Geforce GT 640 cards sold by NewEgg (with small-form-factor brackets) also have an HDMI output port. Any used computer monitor (19-inch or above) will work fine, and if you don't have one sitting around you should be able to also find at a thrift store, garage sale or your local tech-savvy neighbor. If you do need to buy one, expect to spend around $25 used. That still comes in under $200 total. Your mileage may vary, OF COURSE.

In conclusion, if any of you cash-strapped CoX fans need to come up with a basic gaming machine for the return of our beloved game, know that you can do it less than $200, with a little basement bargaining (some eBay, some newegg.com), and with the ability to install RAM, video cards, hard drives, operating systems from CDs/DVDs. Your local CoX-loving geek can probably help if you don't know how to do all that. Be sure to consult with her or him first, so you order the right (compatible with each other) parts.

Good luck in your own efforts! Anyone in central AZ who needs help, feel free to PM me.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8529 on: August 11, 2014, 01:38:37 AM »
I have often teamed up with people who would have played better if they had been high!

I can't say I would have played better, but I bet I would have been a lot more chill when a crazy player would run ahead and blow up the bombs on my MoUGT runs.  ;D
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Shifter

• Boss
« Reply #8530 on: August 11, 2014, 02:01:57 AM »
I can't say I would have played better, but I bet I would have been a lot more chill when a crazy player would run ahead and blow up the bombs on my MoUGT runs.  ;D

If we don't get player data, then it will be pretty fun everyone starting from level 1 again I think, but boy, I sure did wince in pain when you reminded me of this.
Stone Tank
Freedom Server

Tyger42

• Boss
« Reply #8531 on: August 11, 2014, 02:04:39 AM »
So WoW is down to 6.8 mil subs. Saw that the other day.

Welcome back Ironwolf

"Down to...". *sigh* And still 6 million more than the game deserves. Don't get me wrong, it's not a BAD game, just not good enough for its popularity to make sense.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #8532 on: August 11, 2014, 03:08:23 AM »
Bad news... the cake is a lie!

It's not a lie! You just didn't assume the party position.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #8533 on: August 11, 2014, 03:11:06 AM »
We'll be running those in no time when the game returns hehe and when it comes to msrs... The rikti are begging to be beaten up again!

Everfreefire

• Boss
« Reply #8534 on: August 11, 2014, 03:56:27 AM »

My first run ever of that trial was a MoUGT run. I was pretty much told for a good chunk of the dungeon to be *really* careful on what I did.
/em raises a glass. "Next year in the Ski Chalet!"
"Scrappers might not exist any more, but scrapperlock is forever."   -Kaiser Tarantula

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8535 on: August 11, 2014, 04:05:16 AM »
I want to look Hami in the "eye " and taunt

microc

• Boss
« Reply #8536 on: August 11, 2014, 06:47:31 AM »
if they give us a warning when the game going to turn on. anyone up for a lan type party???
find some space to rent fr the weekend and have a back to coh lan party.

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #8537 on: August 11, 2014, 11:45:47 AM »
if they give us a warning when the game going to turn on. anyone up for a lan type party???
find some space to rent fr the weekend and have a back to coh lan party.

I'd totally be up for this.... Anyone else from central Florida on here? :P
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Shifter

• Boss
« Reply #8538 on: August 11, 2014, 11:47:04 AM »
My first run ever of that trial was a MoUGT run. I was pretty much told for a good chunk of the dungeon to be *really* careful on what I did.

Wow, nice! How'd that run go?

Regarding a LAN party, I think my LAN party days are behind me. I have a big desktop now, and lugging that thing around even for local LAN parties is for the birds. Also, I love open air cases because of the extreme natural cooling properties. I have a house with both cats and kids, but we have our system is strategically placed on shelves in rooms where they are pretty safe. However, in a LAN party situation with drinks floating around I would be terrified.
Stone Tank
Freedom Server

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #8539 on: August 11, 2014, 11:54:31 AM »
Wow, nice! How'd that run go?

Regarding a LAN party, I think my LAN party days are behind me. I have a big desktop now, and lugging that thing around even for local LAN parties is for the birds. Also, I love open air cases because of the extreme natural cooling properties. I have a house with both cats and kids, but we have our system is strategically placed on shelves in rooms where they are pretty safe. However, in a LAN party situation with drinks floating around I would be terrified.

I haven't done a LAN party for well over a decade, but since my main computer is now a laptop, I think I wouldn't have as much of a problem with it now... My last desktop croaked in 2010, and I haven't looked back since. That thing had to be at least 75 pounds....
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer