Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7210600 times)

Optimus Dex

• Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #8740 on: August 13, 2014, 06:18:55 PM »
UPDATE

I did contact the team yesterday and got this reply back:

Things are moving along. We should have things worth showing fairly soon, made a great leap forward yesterday.

The thing is while it is quiet here - work is being done behind the scenes.

Excellent !  Many thanks.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #8741 on: August 13, 2014, 06:23:27 PM »
I know I remember a earlier post saying the image was in bad shape. I do not remember when he posted that, when he just posted that they have it running I was wondering if the image was repaired. :)

Except that he didn't post they have it running.

They [Paragon] were already running the game so competence was a no brainer. I don't know what the project does that this team is working on. It may be taking the original game and reverse engineeering it to get it running or some other display that NCSoft wants to see.

Emphasis and clarification mine. He is not directly involved and does not know what form of competence NCSoft wants to see. He's guessing wildly that it might have something to do with reverse engineering.

Even if it was, it would probably be something like taking a few art assets and doing something with them. I highly doubt that NCSoft would let a potential buyer touch a full image the software they're selling before the deal was complete. Too much risk of a copy of it walking off.

Ironwolf needs to learn to not mix factual updates with speculation if he wants to prevent the spread of misinformation. If it gets misconstrued here, just think of what it will look like by the time it reaches places like Facebook. :)

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8742 on: August 13, 2014, 06:40:03 PM »
That's cool to hear they are running the game, did they have to do a lot of repair on the image? It is ok if you can't answer this question it is enough for me to know they are running it.

That's not what Ironwolf said.  What he said was, " No other group outside of the first effort with the Paragon Studios has gotten this far.

They were already running the game so competence was a no brainer. "

He's talking about the Original Pitch when Paragon Studios tried to buy the game from NCSoft.  THEY were already running the game and as such competence was a no brainer for THAT team.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #8743 on: August 13, 2014, 06:44:45 PM »
That's not what Ironwolf said.  What he said was, " No other group outside of the first effort with the Paragon Studios has gotten this far.

They were already running the game so competence was a no brainer. "

He's talking about the Original Pitch when Paragon Studios tried to buy the game from NCSoft.  THEY were already running the game and as such competence was a no brainer for THAT team.
I understand that :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #8744 on: August 13, 2014, 06:46:36 PM »

Emphasis and clarification mine. He is not directly involved and does not know what form of competence NCSoft wants to see. He's guessing wildly that it might have something to do with reverse engineering.

Even if it was, it would probably be something like taking a few art assets and doing something with them. I highly doubt that NCSoft would let a potential buyer touch a full image the software they're selling before the deal was complete. Too much risk of a copy of it walking off.

Ironwolf needs to learn to not mix factual updates with speculation if he wants to prevent the spread of misinformation. If it gets misconstrued here, just think of what it will look like by the time it reaches places like Facebook. :)
It is not his fault, it is mine. I am letting my passion for the possible return of our home, cloud what I thought he said. :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8745 on: August 13, 2014, 06:49:54 PM »
UPDATE

Things are moving along. We should have things worth showing fairly soon, made a great leap forward yesterday.

So, we have official confirmation:

Dr. Sam Beckett and Al Calavicci are leading the COH revival effort!  ;D

Lava-Lad

• Minion
« Reply #8746 on: August 13, 2014, 06:56:48 PM »
UPDATE
August 13 - Direct quote: Things are moving along. We should have things worth showing fairly soon, made a great leap forward yesterday.

this is great news!  I hope that one of the mods here can put the team in touch with the folks on the SCoRE team if there is any need for reverse engineering.  I don't know where they are with their efforts, but the Icon project shows that they have more than a passing interest and more than moderate skills for this kind of work.  It would be nice to see some of the folks who have worked so hard for this community find employment after all of the commitment and ingenuity they have displayed.

If they do put up a statue to commemorate the return of The City, I hope the Icon/SCoRE folks get a plaque!

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8747 on: August 13, 2014, 07:02:53 PM »
So, we have official confirmation:

Dr. Sam Beckett and Al Calavicci are leading the COH revival effort!  ;D

it is secretly being run by Darkwing Duck

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8748 on: August 13, 2014, 07:06:45 PM »
it is secretly being run by Darkwing Duck

Are you going to get dangerous?

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8749 on: August 13, 2014, 07:45:51 PM »

I have put the capital UPDATE in stuff that is actual news from the team. In my other post I was just trying to explain that working on something may not be what people think. It may not be hey, make this code do that - it might be different. It could be as you say animating some artwork or building a demo in UnReal4, it could be more than just programming. Technical expertise is such a general statement that only the team could explain what they were doing and I highly doubt they are free to do so.

I asked very general questions of what was going on so they could at least try and give the folks here something to hang their hats on. The breakthrough on the project is really good news. I try to point out I don't know what they are working on - but it could more than just programming.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8750 on: August 13, 2014, 08:07:49 PM »
UPDATE

That things are still 'moving along' is GOOD NEWS.  And if they have things that are 'worth showing' to (presumably) NC Soft as part of the competence test then that is GOOD NEWS too.

It's still forward momentum.  It's progress. 

This seems pivotal in the potential deal succeeding.  So, hopefully we'll know one way or another after this 'competence' phase.

Thanks for the update.  I understand that the updates are in 'general' terms...but given potential NDAs it's understandable.

At least we have 'some' idea that things are moving along.

Azrael.

I have put the capital UPDATE in stuff that is actual news from the team. In my other post I was just trying to explain that working on something may not be what people think. It may not be hey, make this code do that - it might be different. It could be as you say animating some artwork or building a demo in UnReal4, it could be more than just programming. Technical expertise is such a general statement that only the team could explain what they were doing and I highly doubt they are free to do so.

I asked very general questions of what was going on so they could at least try and give the folks here something to hang their hats on. The breakthrough on the project is really good news. I try to point out I don't know what they are working on - but it could more than just programming.

They've been assigned a project/competence test and the 'team' has made a breakthrough on that.  Fully understood.  It's 'cryptic' (*cough) but it's enough of a clue that we 'get' things are still making progress.

I can't wait for the day to role some Dominators, Tanks, Ice/Ice Blaster etc.  I wish the team every bit of luck in this endeavour.  Hopefully, they succeed...and our community succeeds in bringing CoH back to life.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8751 on: August 13, 2014, 08:10:33 PM »

Thank you for the update: Please pass to them that many of us are excited and appreciate their efforts!

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
« Reply #8752 on: August 13, 2014, 08:11:29 PM »

"Okay, we've determined you guys know that a server isn't just a position on the volleyball team, DNS is not your genetic structure, C# is more than just a musical note, and a backbone doesn't refer to your spine. Now let's move on to the real challenge.

Here's all the music from the game. Without referring to paragonwiki.com, identify which neighborhood(s) each track is used in.

Once you've completed that, match the following sound effects to their related powers, identify these zones solely by map ID, and list at least 10 models that were never used in-game but are still in the code."

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8753 on: August 13, 2014, 09:17:42 PM »
... GM's for support. It might not be just a simple

Finally, we have a clue who the new developers are...

Giant Monsters are in support... Babbage? Lusca?

Who is behind this?
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #8754 on: August 13, 2014, 09:34:19 PM »

Who is behind this?

It's CoH - make a guess :P
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

SteveTheDwarf

• Minion
  • For the little people!
« Reply #8755 on: August 13, 2014, 09:35:32 PM »

Who is behind this?

Is there a badge for figuring out which one does what?

Thanks for the update Ironwolf!
Steve the Dwarf 
Lvl 50 Invulnerablity / Energy Melee / Fire Mastery Tank
Pinnacle server

Pinnbadges will always be the greatest channel ever.

Steelhelm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8756 on: August 13, 2014, 09:40:14 PM »
UPDATE

This is great news to hear, and I am looking forward to seeing what the things worth showing are. Thanks for the update, Ironwolf! :D

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8757 on: August 13, 2014, 09:50:50 PM »
UPDATE

This is a very good thing to see :).  Can't wait for the next update here.  Big leap forward means to me more things can be done, though thats speculation, might be unlocking another big key leap forward.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

General Sherman

• Minion
  • Drop Maggot!
« Reply #8758 on: August 13, 2014, 09:52:59 PM »
This is great news to hear, and I am looking forward to seeing what the things worth showing are. Thanks for the update, Ironwolf! :D

We may never see the "things worth showing". I'm okay with that.
We shall see what we shall see, when there is actually something to see.

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8759 on: August 13, 2014, 09:55:31 PM »

Who is behind this?

Nemesis is always a safe guess.
But... if they have enough GMs to use them for support, them I'll put my money on Hamidon.