Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7210273 times)

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #28800 on: November 06, 2018, 03:25:52 AM »
The way Gamigo described the acquisition is they bought the assets, not the development teams.  The employees left are basically running the titles in maintenance mode, if not on contract to show their day-to-day operations to Gamigo before they're laid off as well.  25 total staff are continuing on, with 200 laid off with no notice before the sale closed.

I wouldn't count on any of those titles developing further past where they currently are.

"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28801 on: November 06, 2018, 02:41:26 PM »

Litintha

• Underling
  • All hail Lelouch!
« Reply #28802 on: November 06, 2018, 09:43:27 PM »
The way Gamigo described the acquisition is they bought the assets, not the development teams.  The employees left are basically running the titles in maintenance mode, if not on contract to show their day-to-day operations to Gamigo before they're laid off as well.  25 total staff are continuing on, with 200 laid off with no notice before the sale closed.

I wouldn't count on any of those titles developing further past where they currently are.

I agree that they will not develop past their current patches. And, I did read an article showing the layoffs and current staffing. My apologizes for not linking said article, but I thank you for bringing it up.

The reason I went down the road of "they will die soon" is that, for the average gamer (not all, just the average), a "maintenance-mode" MMO doesn't really last that long. Sure, the vast majority of private servers for games (WoW comes to mind) last quite a long time (using private servers as an example, since a lot don't update as frequently as retail servers), though admittedly, that happens because a lot of the end-game content is buggy and can't be played. The server devs have to debug and make it work. So, people stick around. A lot of the larger private servers have good dev teams and simply acquire the patches from live and make them work quickly.

However, games in "maintenance-mode" don't develop, or develop so slowly that there may not be new content for a year, or even more. So, the end-game becomes stagnant and the average gamer will get bored. Because, let's face it. You can only run that final end-game raid so many times before you get burned out and just toss your hands in the air saying, "Done!" and walk away.

Of the games that Gamigo acquired from Trion Worlds, i can probably see ArcheAge lasting the longest, since the end-game content for that is so heavily based on the RNG of getting the highest grade of gear to even get ready for said content. It will also likely be the biggest cash cow for Gamigo, since getting said gear requires items you get from the cash shop to improve your chances of good RNG for gear. Sure, you can get that stuff without spending RL money, but ArcheAge was never known for being non-P2W.

So, if I had to take a guess; Rift, Trove, Atlas Reactor, and Defiance will likely only last about 1 1/2 years, max. Maybe 2 if Gamigo plays their cards right. ArcheAge will probably last a little longer, but the stories I am hearing from people who use to play retail is that it's a ghost town (I play on ArcheRage, an ArcheAge private server). a lot of people from retail ArcheAge have fled to ArcheRage for bigger community numbers, and that fact it's running 3.0, which has been said to be vastly superior to retails 4.5.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28803 on: November 07, 2018, 01:07:58 AM »
So does anyone have any good ideas for getting NCSoft to allow us to use CoX's code/IP?

https://massivelyop.com/2018/10/26/us-copyright-office-grants-dmca-exception-for-preserving-online-games/

I just found this on Facebook. It sounds interesting but, how long the law will take into an effect?

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28804 on: November 07, 2018, 01:43:53 AM »
So does anyone have any good ideas for getting NCSoft to allow us to use CoX's code/IP?

https://massivelyop.com/2018/10/26/us-copyright-office-grants-dmca-exception-for-preserving-online-games/

Augers well for the community efforts to rebirth COH on educational and research and private use cases.

Azrael.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28805 on: November 07, 2018, 03:51:45 PM »
Well, I have one and a half weeks left of work before I move from the sunny state of California to the not-as-sunny-but-it-actually-has-more-than-one-season state of Arkansas. With that move, I will add a fourth state to the locations I've lived.

At least I'll get to have my first (in a very long time) Thanksgiving Dinner with my mom.

My Christmas presents for my friends and family are all the same. Me moving to Arkansas.  :P

Maybe I should do something about packing my stuff up.... ???
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

slickriptide

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28806 on: November 07, 2018, 04:19:23 PM »
Augers well for the community efforts to rebirth COH on educational and research and private use cases.

Azrael.

I don't mean to be a Negative Nelly, but the so-called "exemption" doesn't auger well for anything.

Imagine there's a neighborhood with homeless people who need food, and there's an apple tree in the front yard of one of the homes. The apples fall every year and rot. Someone says, "But, we could let the food bank collect the apples and feed people." After a lot of debate with hungry people, grocers, and commercial food distributors, the trespassing laws are amended to say that it's okay for a food bank to collect apples as long as you have the property owner's explicit permission.

Now, I ask you - how has the status quo actually changed?

You always needed the property owner's permission before the so-called "exemption" existed. There are no activities that are actually being exempted by this new "exemption". In fact, from a certain viewpoint it's imposing a limitation by specifying that food banks can do this as opposed to just anyone who happens to have the permission of the property owner.

Individuals who want to bake an apple pie or startup a bakery are just as prohibited as they were before. You could not accurately claim that the "food bank exemption" augered well for pie bakers. Taking the apples without permission is still the only way that anyone will bake a pie, and if the property owner decided to be charitable and allow apple collection, there's no particular reason why they would grant that permission to the food bank over just granting it to every hungry person in the neighborhood.

In short - the new "exemption" is completely pointless and creates no new effect at all.  The only caveat I can see, is that it MIGHT help resolve the situation where NCSoft was holding back on the server because they still had the Cryptic Engine license to deal with. The new exemption MIGHT allow them to give the server code to a museum and allow the museum to run the code without regard to paying Cryptic the royalties they otherwise might be entitled to receive.

But, I don't think any of us believe that Cryptic Engine royalties or similar obligations are the reason that NCSoft won't sell or release City of Heroes (or any of their other dead properties).

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28807 on: November 07, 2018, 04:41:53 PM »
I don't mean to be a Negative Nelly...(snip.)

Not in the court of natural justice.

Azrael.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28808 on: November 07, 2018, 04:45:26 PM »
I have not followed SEGS closely, but my memory says that a project called SEGS was being fiddled with way, way, way back, albeit with limited progress.

A little bit more than being 'fiddled with' these days...

https://segs.io/home/segs-v0-6-0-outbreak-is-now-available

'Outbreak.'

Azrael.

slickriptide

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28809 on: November 07, 2018, 05:56:33 PM »
Not in the court of natural justice.

Azrael.

I'm pretty sure that doesn't apply when we're talking USA laws, which is where this "exemption" was enacted. In any case, I'm not sure how it's relevant - The closest approximation to English Natural Justice that I can find anyone referring to in American law is the concept of Due Process. Neither of those things is relevant to the question of copyright/trademark/intellectual property infringement.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28810 on: November 07, 2018, 07:11:13 PM »
I'm pretty sure... (Snip.)

Hard to see, the future is...

Azrael.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28811 on: November 09, 2018, 03:50:56 AM »
Hard to see, the future is...

Azrael.
Clouded by the dark side, that boys future is...

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #28812 on: November 12, 2018, 03:39:31 AM »
Imagine my amusement at completing the DCUO prologue only to step "smack-bang" into everyones favourite troll, galavanting around in an impromptu costume contest...

Caliban - still giving low-level me chills ;D
i have no idea who Caliban is in gaming/superhero culture aside from a character from an X-Men book. There was a troll here on the boards for a few years who was obviously in part mentally unwell, but they didn't go by Caliban and i'm not aware of any characters by that name in CoH. i think "everyone's favorite troll" is overstating things just a bit.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Cyanpill

• Underling
« Reply #28813 on: November 12, 2018, 04:51:25 AM »
Pretty sure he means these guys: https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Trolls#Caliban

SEGS may have started years ago, but it only started to pick up steam with the first public release, which lead to more contributors, which lead to more releases.
SEGS! Discuss at https://discord.gg/3fZebB

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28814 on: November 12, 2018, 05:13:16 AM »
i have no idea who Caliban is in gaming/superhero culture aside from a character from an X-Men book. There was a troll here on the boards for a few years who was obviously in part mentally unwell, but they didn't go by Caliban and i'm not aware of any characters by that name in CoH. i think "everyone's favorite troll" is overstating things just a bit.

You didn't run much hollows content?

Pretty sure he means these guys: https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Trolls#Caliban

I did indeed - although I actually confused Caliban/Atta with Frostfire from the hollows, which is why I mentioned it earlier...

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Frostfire

&

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Atta

I kid you not, someone has made an almost carbon copy of Atta in DCUO :D

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28815 on: November 12, 2018, 05:27:45 AM »
SEGS may have started years ago, but it only started to pick up steam with the first public release, which lead to more contributors, which lead to more releases.

How are we juvenile types expected to compete with such terrific unintentional SEGS puns?

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28816 on: November 12, 2018, 09:02:14 PM »
BREAKING NEWS: Stan Lee died!!!!!!!

https://www.marvel.com/remembering_stan_lee

Ulysses Dare

• Boss
« Reply #28817 on: November 12, 2018, 09:19:52 PM »
BREAKING NEWS: Stan Lee died!!!!!!!

https://www.marvel.com/remembering_stan_lee
Given his age I guess it shouldn't come as a shock, but I'm still saddened that we'll never get another Stan Lee cameo. :'(
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 09:26:39 PM by Ulysses Dare »

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28818 on: November 12, 2018, 10:36:00 PM »
Given his age I guess it shouldn't come as a shock, but I'm still saddened that we'll never get another Stan Lee cameo. :'(

The entire universe is a Stan Lee Cameo ;)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28819 on: November 13, 2018, 06:16:14 AM »
Not in person, anyway.  He's been a photo on the wall in the police station or "If you see something, say something" posters in the Netflix Marvel shows.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov