Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7292560 times)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #27840 on: July 28, 2017, 05:09:39 AM »
Sure, why wouldn't it be?  It's the harder road to take after all. All of media is against him. And knowing he'd get hate for what he said he said it anyway because he thought it was right. That's hardcore.

No it only makes him a hardcore fundamentalist bigot.  He knew without a shadow of a doubt that he'd get plenty of support from other hardcore fundamentalist bigots.  It's not a hard road to take at all.  In fact, it's the easiest road to take, paved with the money of other people who will throw it at you because you say things they agree with.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27841 on: July 28, 2017, 07:34:27 AM »
No it only makes him a hardcore fundamentalist bigot.  He knew without a shadow of a doubt that he'd get plenty of support from other hardcore fundamentalist bigots.  It's not a hard road to take at all.  In fact, it's the easiest road to take, paved with the money of other people who will throw it at you because you say things they agree with.

The bigoted are easy people to appease.  Victoria is 100% right on this, the thing that drives fundamentalist bigots is hatred of people who differ from them in any shape or form, as well as fear.  It isn't anything positive in life.  It's always hatred and fear driving them.  Thats why they are so easy to tempt with demagoguery.  It's easy for any manipulative jerk to exploit.  Chuck was just talented enough to make people think he was tough when in reality he was like any other attention-craving narcissists, and his appealing to the bigots reveals that side of him to everyone.

People who agree with bigots openly are few and far between, likewise, making it even easier.  It's a road wimps take in life to "fame"(or more correctly, infamy for those of us with a brain).
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Keldian

• Minion
« Reply #27842 on: July 28, 2017, 08:26:08 AM »
In fact, it's the easiest road to take, paved with the money of other people who will throw it at you because you say things they agree with.
Prove it. Look at his acting/endorsement deals before and after and tell me it was easy or profitable.

As for Chuck's toughness, that's proven by his many real martial arts champion titles. The man is a lot tougher than he is a good actor.  Even at his grandfatherly age he could whoop any of us in a fight.

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27843 on: July 28, 2017, 02:53:12 PM »

Must he be a bigot to be a fundamentalist?

Is it completely impossible he actually believes some of what he does has value, and lives by the truth of that rather than abandon it completely because some people go too far?

Honestly I'm saddened that you would so blindly pigeon hole someone you don't even know whilst calling THEM a bigot!

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #27844 on: July 28, 2017, 02:54:45 PM »
I've been around fundamentalists all my life and I can honestly say that the great majority of them don't "hate" anybody.  They take the stands that they do on controversial issues because they live their lives by a "moral ethic."  Agree or disagree with the stance that they take if you want, but I find them preferable to individuals whose ethic, if they have one at all, varies from moment to moment, based on personal wants or emotion.

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27845 on: July 28, 2017, 04:03:00 PM »
All of this talk of bigotry and disagreement can be easily fixed with my starfish....  everyone can then get along.... except for sea turtles who eat starfish .  They are jerks.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27846 on: July 28, 2017, 05:42:45 PM »
I've been around fundamentalists all my life and I can honestly say that the great majority of them don't "hate" anybody.  They take the stands that they do on controversial issues because they live their lives by a "moral ethic."  Agree or disagree with the stance that they take if you want, but I find them preferable to individuals whose ethic, if they have one at all, varies from moment to moment, based on personal wants or emotion.

I can say that not all fundamentalists are terrorists and bigots but all bigots and terrorists though are fundamentalists.  Your either with them, or their enemy, and nothing in between.  Been around fundamentalists myself, and many are very driven by fear and hate around here.  A given I met a lot of fellow Nebraskans who are thankfully not bigots.  But I even saw one (who I could tell was a bigot) tried to debate what evil was since everyone else had a clearer definition than him.  The guy was an evangelical, and had to try and change the definition of evil to suit his very clear narrow minded bigotry.

I respect ethical individuals but the ones who are "live exactly like me or burn" I have lost patience for.  Hell, it's hard to ever wanna look on facebook cause of all the far-right bigot trolls in news posts I see.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Keldian

• Minion
« Reply #27847 on: July 28, 2017, 06:13:55 PM »
The word bigot has largely become meaningless.  It seems to usually just get used to mean "person who disagrees with my beliefs".

princezilla

• Boss
« Reply #27848 on: July 28, 2017, 07:59:10 PM »
The word bigot has largely become meaningless.  It seems to usually just get used to mean "person who disagrees with my beliefs".

... That's not even remotely true.

Chuck became a meme because he did have an impressive selection of martial arts championships and people started thinking of him as a cowboy ninja which sounds like something a five year old would come up with for a cliche badass character and thus is memebait.

However he washed up only a few years after the meme came out and after lukewarm success capitalizing on it turned to politics as a way to keep himself in the spotlight.

Keldian

• Minion
« Reply #27849 on: July 28, 2017, 08:16:55 PM »
However he washed up only a few years after the meme came out and after lukewarm success capitalizing on it turned to politics as a way to keep himself in the spotlight.
Chuck was already old news before the meme.  About the only thing notable he had done before that was be in Dodgeball.  And if he was so worried about being in the spotlight, why didn't he act more?  He's basically only been in one movie in the last 10 years.

princezilla

• Boss
« Reply #27850 on: July 28, 2017, 08:46:46 PM »
Chuck was already old news before the meme.  About the only thing notable he had done before that was be in Dodgeball.  And if he was so worried about being in the spotlight, why didn't he act more?  He's basically only been in one movie in the last 10 years.

... The meme started in the early 2000s during the last year or so of Walker: Texas Ranger, his most famous project. His career nosedived not long after and he had trouble getting serious parts, resorting to capitalizing on the meme in things like Dodge Ball and the Expendables sequel and inserting himself into politics but the joke got old and people stopped hiring him even for the dumb roles.

Keldian

• Minion
« Reply #27851 on: July 28, 2017, 09:02:36 PM »
Check the dates.  Walker ended in 2001.  Dodgeball was mostly produced in 2003, and he's barely in it. The memes started up in 2005.  The political stuff was 2007.  Expendables was 2012, and he's barely in it.  It's a pretty big gap of time.  But it's hard to say someone's career nosedived when they actually just stopped making anything.  It was more of a soft retirement.  He's an old guy.  He could have easily made a movie or something if he actually wanted more money/notoriety.  He didn't make any money over any political comments as there would be no way for him to monetize that.  If anything, he probably lost notoriety/popularity over that, which is something he had to have known would happen before doing it.

At the time, I did wonder if he was angling for running for office himself, but it now seems he has no interest in that.

princezilla

• Boss
« Reply #27852 on: July 28, 2017, 09:14:03 PM »
Check the dates.  Walker ended in 2001.  Dodgeball was mostly produced in 2003, and he's barely in it. The memes started up in 2005.  The political stuff was 2007.  Expendables was 2012, and he's barely in it.  It's a pretty big gap of time.  But it's hard to say someone's career nosedived when they actually just stopped making anything.  It was more of a soft retirement.  He's an old guy.  He could have easily made a movie or something if he actually wanted more money/notoriety.  He didn't make any money over any political comments as there would be no way for him to monetize that.  If anything, he probably lost notoriety/popularity over that, which is something he had to have known would happen before doing it.

At the time, I did wonder if he was angling for running for office himself, but it now seems he has no interest in that.
the meme was around for years before it became super well known. It catapulted into the mainstream in 05 because due to it people voted in mass for hm to replace Vin Diesel for the facts bit but he wasn't even on the list and only won because of the meme. But this entire thing is idiotic, he's just a washed up martial artist who turned to decisive politics after his film career flopped.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #27853 on: July 28, 2017, 09:26:29 PM »
With a net worth of 70 million, I'd like my film career to flop too.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Keldian

• Minion
« Reply #27854 on: July 28, 2017, 11:06:00 PM »
What movie of his flopped?  How does your movie career flop when you don't actually have any panned movies?  Doing a little more research, he had twins in 2001. So not only was he somewhat old but he had two babies to take care of. That's probably why he only did bit parts after that date. He wanted to spend his energy on his family.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27855 on: July 29, 2017, 06:06:17 AM »
Okay, personal attacks removed.

Political discussions usually start these, so please proceed with caution.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 06:20:11 AM by Tahquitz »
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27856 on: July 29, 2017, 06:23:26 AM »
Good night, Titan.  Tubbius needs to get some sleep.

Zzzzz. . . .  :)

GenericHero05

• New Efforts # 7,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #27857 on: July 29, 2017, 09:20:05 AM »

Amen
If I was a Jedi, there's a 100% chance that I'd use The Force inappropriately.

princezilla

• Boss
« Reply #27858 on: July 29, 2017, 02:24:34 PM »
No, bigot still means someone who dislikes or discriminates against people because of parts of their identity which have no negative effect on others and are beyond their control. That does not qualify as "a difference in belief."

Primus1

• Minion
« Reply #27859 on: July 29, 2017, 02:58:13 PM »
Yup