Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7293110 times)

princezilla

• Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #27780 on: July 06, 2017, 12:00:35 AM »
The only notable upcoming change that I have heard that has annoyed people is the changes to the Tech 3 cruisers(AKA Strategic Cruisers).  It is actually a significant change and it isn't like such grumping about changes is unique to eve.  I on the other hand was thrilled to find out that the upcoming changes will enable a covert ops logistics configuration.  Think stealthy healers for conceptual reference.
Yeah, we rarely mention it now because of nostalgia and whatnot but there was a hell of a lot of complaining and griping about CoX and it's devs back in the day, with varying degrees of justification.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27781 on: July 06, 2017, 12:57:47 AM »
Yeah, we rarely mention it now because of nostalgia and whatnot but there was a hell of a lot of complaining and griping about CoX and it's devs back in the day, with varying degrees of justification.
Never on the scale that CCP gets. I don't think paragon studios ever got vandalized over rumors of a change did they?

princezilla

• Boss
« Reply #27782 on: July 06, 2017, 02:08:35 AM »
Never on the scale that CCP gets. I don't think paragon studios ever got vandalized over rumors of a change did they?

Eve is a wierd case because of the absurd amount of time and money people have to dump into it to progress and how permanent losses are in the game. It causes people to take it insanely seriously because it's a very real possibility that a mistake or someone screwing you can erase months or even years of work. As a result it's players very often get an extremely unhealthy and intense emotional investment in the game which results in them reacting to things in the game as they would if someone had done them to them in real life. So it's not that they are any worse about griping then other MMO community but that the very design of the game encourages them to treat it like it's their actual life so those who do object do so as if their actual livelyhood was being effected.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 02:16:46 AM by princezilla »

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27783 on: July 06, 2017, 02:10:13 AM »
Eve is a wierd case because of the absurd amount of time and money people have to dump into it to progress and how permanent losses are in the game. It causes people to take it insanely seriously because it's a very real possibility that a mistake or someone screwing you can erase months or even years of work. As a result it's players very often get an extremely unhealthy and intense emotional investment in the game which results in them reacting to things in the game as they would if someone had done them to them in real life. So it's not that they are any worse about griping then other MMO community but that the very design of the game encourages them to treat it like it's their actual life so those who do object do so as if changed were being made to their actual livelyhood.
Fair points.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #27784 on: July 07, 2017, 08:38:46 PM »
Honestly, any PvP is unwelcome for me and even though I love SF, I won't play EvE for that very reason. Any zone that has any Non Consensual PvP is PvP zone no matter how rare it is. This is a binary choice.

EvE is justifiably proud of it's PvP. It is the biggest selling point to many of the people who play. It is hardly surprising that they don't really court PvE players. It's shame that the only really big SF MMO that is not licensed is dedicated to piracy, murder and corporate thuggery, but that's what the payers want I guess.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

MegaWatt

• Boss
  • No i didnt call security bots......uh oh!
« Reply #27785 on: July 07, 2017, 10:14:35 PM »
Honestly, any PvP is unwelcome for me and even though I love SF, I won't play EvE for that very reason. Any zone that has any Non Consensual PvP is PvP zone no matter how rare it is. This is a binary choice.

EvE is justifiably proud of it's PvP. It is the biggest selling point to many of the people who play. It is hardly surprising that they don't really court PvE players. It's shame that the only really big SF MMO that is not licensed is dedicated to piracy, murder and corporate thuggery, but that's what the payers want I guess.

agreed, i'd probably love it if i could click a 'PVE Only' box even if it got people sending me hate tells calling me a care bear or something (because you can ignore tells - you cant ignore missiles in that game)
If we set it on fire it'll burn....but that'd leave evidence...I KNOW ! COMPLETE ATOMIZATION! WOOOO!

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27786 on: July 08, 2017, 12:54:22 PM »

:(  This is a shame.

cmgangrel

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27787 on: July 08, 2017, 07:01:30 PM »

Admittedly, I have only been ganked in high-sec space *once* in several years of playing Eve Online. But the main solution is "don't AFK autopilot between systems" and "don't open containers that are not your own".

And that is your high sec security sorted.

Low Sec: More of the same, also pay attention to local chat

0.0 space: More of the same, pay attention to alliance/corp chatter as well (I highly doubt you would be in 0.0 space solo)

Wormholes: Pay attention, remember that Local chat channel is delayed for updating by 15 minutes (unless they speak), keep eyes on the back of your head.

But honestly? Unless it changed a lot from when I played, just random ganking in High Sec space was rare (notable exceptions being Hulkageddon/Burn Jita) unless you managed to piss someone off.

Side note: There is Eve University which is a player ran corp which accepts newbies to the fold, and helps them out learning the game, whilst being in a relatively safe environment. Bonus points: As far as I am aware, there is also the unspoken rule of NOT war-deccing Eve University (or at least there was when I was playing), or you will get some rather larger alliances/corps dropping their stuff to make your life unhappy)

side note 2: Some people would consider the market game as PvP... I am sure that some of those players would sell their mother if it would get them a few ISK ;) (and it isn't uncommon for some people to buy up all stock of something in one area to manipulate the price in their favour. THis is one thing that happens when you have a location based market, along with *everything available is made by the playerbase*

princezilla

• Boss
« Reply #27788 on: July 09, 2017, 03:18:38 AM »
I'm curious... when was the last time we actually heard anything new? Other then 'States' entering MxM that is, which may or may not mean something.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #27789 on: July 09, 2017, 03:20:05 AM »
I'm curious... when was the last time we actually heard anything new? Other then 'States' entering MxM that is, which may or may not mean something.

Take a look at the first page of this thread for your answer. :)
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

princezilla

• Boss
« Reply #27790 on: July 09, 2017, 03:58:47 AM »
Take a look at the first page of this thread for your answer. :)

Ah I didn't realize that got updated. So it's been almost two years since we've heard anything...

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27791 on: July 09, 2017, 05:30:39 AM »
Ah I didn't realize that got updated. So it's been almost two years since we've heard anything...

We arent going to hear anything, ncsoft never intended to actually negotiate in good faith.

princezilla

• Boss
« Reply #27792 on: July 09, 2017, 06:07:47 AM »
We arent going to hear anything, ncsoft never intended to actually negotiate in good faith.

There's about a 50/50 shot of that given that even if they had no desire to sell they would still entertain the idea as long as possible to keep their options open. People do need to shake this idea of Ncsoft as supervillains, they are just a company and regardless whatever bullshit went down behind the scenes at the end of CoX they haven't been sitting in their offices twirling their mustaches while thinking up new ways to screw with or mock the playerbase.

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #27793 on: July 09, 2017, 07:56:46 AM »
It would be nice if we could just get the game back I maintenance mode or even if they said yes you can have a emulator (Which I'm hoping PC will eventually become with all the game as of i24 or even i23) But only time will tell!

princezilla

• Boss
« Reply #27794 on: July 09, 2017, 09:21:12 PM »
My understanding is that we basically already have all the files and data needed to run the game and the primary hang up is just the legal one.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27795 on: July 10, 2017, 01:16:59 AM »
Not quite.  But I lack the understanding to elucidate further.  Fortunately for you, it's been discussed before.

If you're short on time, some hypothetical possibilities are here.  Try this one when you have time (less pages, but despite being about bases, it discusses combat anyway and in some detail).
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Surelle

« Reply #27796 on: July 10, 2017, 01:21:19 AM »
My understanding is that we basically already have all the files and data needed to run the game and the primary hang up is just the legal one.

Er, I think all the mobs, and mob and player attacks and powers and such were server-side.  It has been said that it would be as much work as coding the entire game again from scratch to backwards engineer that whole thing, and all NCSoft would have to do is hear about it once it went live and they'd be sending out a Cease & Desist order which threatened legal action were it not obeyed immediately.  That's what they did to Infinite Rasa (a private server for Tabula Rasa).  NCSoft are really buggers that way. 

It's too bad it wasn't SOE/Daybreak who had originally published CoX.  Even with EQ1 still up and running (there are twenty-something expansions for it nowadays), they actually made a deal with the Project 1999 team (a private server project for EQ1) and both games run fine.  They have always looked the other way at SWG emus and The Matrix Online emus as well.  It figures we have to get Attila the Hun as *our* former publisher.   :P

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27797 on: July 10, 2017, 08:07:26 AM »
Admittedly, I have only been ganked in high-sec space *once* in several years of playing Eve Online. But the main solution is "don't AFK autopilot between systems" and "don't open containers that are not your own".

And that is your high sec security sorted.

Low Sec: More of the same, also pay attention to local chat

0.0 space: More of the same, pay attention to alliance/corp chatter as well (I highly doubt you would be in 0.0 space solo)

Wormholes: Pay attention, remember that Local chat channel is delayed for updating by 15 minutes (unless they speak), keep eyes on the back of your head.

But honestly? Unless it changed a lot from when I played, just random ganking in High Sec space was rare (notable exceptions being Hulkageddon/Burn Jita) unless you managed to piss someone off.

Side note: There is Eve University which is a player ran corp which accepts newbies to the fold, and helps them out learning the game, whilst being in a relatively safe environment. Bonus points: As far as I am aware, there is also the unspoken rule of NOT war-deccing Eve University (or at least there was when I was playing), or you will get some rather larger alliances/corps dropping their stuff to make your life unhappy)

side note 2: Some people would consider the market game as PvP... I am sure that some of those players would sell their mother if it would get them a few ISK ;) (and it isn't uncommon for some people to buy up all stock of something in one area to manipulate the price in their favour. THis is one thing that happens when you have a location based market, along with *everything available is made by the playerbase*

Played EVE for 7 years, I had 6 poorly executed attempts of a high sec gank tried on me. If it was a serious gank it would have been successful. All of those attempts were done by rookies who had no idea what they were doing.

Strangely the most fun fights I had in EVE online were corp "Arena" duels and accidental Blue on Blue fights.

cmgangrel

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27798 on: July 11, 2017, 11:03:03 AM »
Played EVE for 7 years, I had 6 poorly executed attempts of a high sec gank tried on me. If it was a serious gank it would have been successful. All of those attempts were done by rookies who had no idea what they were doing.

Strangely the most fun fights I had in EVE online were corp "Arena" duels and accidental Blue on Blue fights.

My favourite fights was getting hot dropped by a Pandemic Legion carrier/supercarrier group whilst being in a stealth bomber squad. I think it cost them more fuel to do the jump than our ships cost combined.

Either that or when in a scrap with another 0.0 alliance, they let loose with their Doomsday weapon (when it was AOE), and killed more of their own ships than in our fleet....

Harermuir

• Minion
« Reply #27799 on: July 11, 2017, 03:24:30 PM »
There's about a 50/50 shot of that given that even if they had no desire to sell they would still entertain the idea as long as possible to keep their options open. People do need to shake this idea of Ncsoft as supervillains, they are just a company and regardless whatever bullshit went down behind the scenes at the end of CoX they haven't been sitting in their offices twirling their mustaches while thinking up new ways to screw with or mock the playerbase.

Well, knowing that they may have genuine reason to act as asshole doesn't really make me as happy as it should ...