Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7290823 times)

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #26820 on: February 27, 2017, 02:51:51 PM »
I think Nate and the rest of us got played.

"Yeah, we'll work something out. Sign this NDA."

"No, we're not going to work something out. We just wanted you folks to shut up."

Culture, schmulture. It doesn't take this long to work a deal. Corporations move slow, but they move. And - if they were going to deal, they would likely have made a huge fuss about it and turned it into a big PR success.

I could be wrong. I've been wrong before. I would love to be wrong, but until I'm proven wrong, my money is on CoT. Literally.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26821 on: February 27, 2017, 10:59:47 PM »
It seems to me a lot of people are forgetting Nate, Iron Wolf, and crew don't owe any of us anything.  They did this out of the love for their game and to try and get it back for us.  It was very obvious from within the first 6 months of this deal that you shouldn't be holding your breath and it was out on a whim.  They aren't responsible for people putting all their eggs in one basket, it was obivious it was a long shot.  They may be under NDA, the talks may have ended, or the talks may have just been stalled to the point where its not called off but not openly being discussed anymore either.

There could be multiple reasons they haven't said anything.  Nate was bullied into releasing the information we have now and if he wasn't you would barely know whats going on.  Both him and Iron Wolf have been harassed in private messages.  Nate is hounded and demanded to work for us by people who aren't paying him or contributing themselves.  And we wonder why they won't say anything even if they can?  Look how they are being treated for the most successful effort yet and devoting their own free time and money to this effort.

If it really bothers you this much, get involved your self instead of just holding your breath.  But to hound, accuse, and focus your frustrations on the people trying to help - that just isn't fair

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #26822 on: February 27, 2017, 11:25:38 PM »
It seems to me a lot of people are forgetting Nate, Iron Wolf, and crew don't owe any of us anything.  They did this out of the love for their game and to try and get it back for us.  It was very obvious from within the first 6 months of this deal that you shouldn't be holding your breath and it was out on a whim.  They aren't responsible for people putting all their eggs in one basket, it was obivious it was a long shot.  They may be under NDA, the talks may have ended, or the talks may have just been stalled to the point where its not called off but not openly being discussed anymore either.

There could be multiple reasons they haven't said anything.  Nate was bullied into releasing the information we have now and if he wasn't you would barely know whats going on.  Both him and Iron Wolf have been harassed in private messages.  Nate is hounded and demanded to work for us by people who aren't paying him or contributing themselves.  And we wonder why they won't say anything even if they can?  Look how they are being treated for the most successful effort yet and devoting their own free time and money to this effort.

If it really bothers you this much, get involved your self instead of just holding your breath.  But to hound, accuse, and focus your frustrations on the people trying to help - that just isn't fair
exactly :), every day I come on here and hope there is some kind of news. And I know one day there might be. However, I have moved to other games. Just to occupy my time, I understand from the very first post Nate made. That this is a marathon and chances are nothing will happen.
The difference is that while I hope for news, I do not come here demanding answers, or act like the team owes me anything.
I am grateful for Nate and Wolf for trying. :). I feel as you do Taceus, I am mostly glad Nate stopped posting updates. This will cause whatever is going on, is held in secret.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Pyromantic79

• Underling
« Reply #26823 on: February 28, 2017, 05:05:30 PM »
I absolutely agree that none of us are owed anything.  On top of that, it is likely the case that anyone in the know speaking out of turn would do harm to any ongoing efforts to bring the game back, and that's the last thing I want.

That said, there are times when I really miss the game, and for one reason or another that has been particularly the case the last couple of weeks.  Every once in a while we've gotten a stray comment that it's still in (albeit very slow) progress, and it certainly would be nice to know something about where it stands.  I certainly didn't expect it to take this long, but I also have no idea what a reasonable expectation would be for something like this.

So, if we hear something soon, that's fantastic.  And if we don't, then that may well be for the best.  And if nothing ever comes from it, then I'm sure my attention will turn to some of the successor projects that should be available to play before too much longer, and I will remain grateful to those who tried.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26824 on: February 28, 2017, 05:56:02 PM »

Whoa! I say, Whoa! At no time did I hound, accuse or focus my frustrations on anyone trying to help, nor did I even hint that I was owed a thing from anyone. You can re-read what I said. Essentially, my theory is we were duped. Not by Nate - by NCSoft. It's my belief that for whatever reason, NCSoft had no intentions of doing anything other than try to limit the bad press. And I also allowed for the fact that I could be wrong.

I also am fully aware that it was a long shot, which to this point has not panned out. Obviously, the longer it takes, the less likely people will have interest in investing their time in the game. It would be a great accomplishment for anyone involved in that effort - and if it happened when CoT enters Beta or even release, it would be some fantastic press. I've not totally given up, but I stopped holding my breath as soon as I invested my money in the kickstarter.

Maybe your post answered a post that was a page or two previous? You didn't quote who your response was aimed at, so I can only assume it was me. And you're off base with that response.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26825 on: February 28, 2017, 06:49:46 PM »
Whoa! I say, Whoa! At no time did I hound, accuse or focus my frustrations on anyone trying to help, nor did I even hint that I was owed a thing from anyone. You can re-read what I said. Essentially, my theory is we were duped. Not by Nate - by NCSoft. It's my belief that for whatever reason, NCSoft had no intentions of doing anything other than try to limit the bad press. And I also allowed for the fact that I could be wrong.

I also am fully aware that it was a long shot, which to this point has not panned out. Obviously, the longer it takes, the less likely people will have interest in investing their time in the game. It would be a great accomplishment for anyone involved in that effort - and if it happened when CoT enters Beta or even release, it would be some fantastic press. I've not totally given up, but I stopped holding my breath as soon as I invested my money in the kickstarter.

Maybe your post answered a post that was a page or two previous? You didn't quote who your response was aimed at, so I can only assume it was me. And you're off base with that response.

You would be incorrect assuming it was a response to you.  It wasn't at anyone in particular just an over all attitude that seemed to be spread across the last page.  That's why I didn't quote anyone in particular.  No one is to blame for being bummed they can't have their game.  But when it seems to me like the frustration is being directed at the wrong people I have to say something.  The royal you, not you personally.  My point is why be the bearer of bad news if you get hounded for good news or more likely just have no news at all to share.  In this case the people here who are thirsty for CoH, no news is bad news.  I read your post, it said you felt Nate and others got played by NCSoft.  I didn't misunderstand what you were saying and that's why you shouldn't assume my post was directed at you.

I honestly couldn't even name a person for who that post was directed at, it's just an attitude that seems to show up occasionally where people start taking their frustration out on Nate when there is no updates being given.  He has no obligation to update us, especially when there is likely no updates.  I would say that is also a reason why Iron Wolf and Nate don't frequent here anymore very often either, being hounded for updates when you don't have any can wear thin on a person.

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26826 on: March 01, 2017, 12:48:32 AM »
I think this thread is too old and too tired for anyone to get worked up any more.  The next reply could call me an orange orangutan in a bad wig and I simply have no need to get worked up.

I believe goodwill occurred to look at bringing the game back and the latest attempt got a little further along, but the technology, the logistics or the people are stuck in limbo.  No news in 2 years is the news.  I still believe City of Heroes will be back some day, but it may be another generation of players that will see it. 

Until then thanks for those who tried, thanks for people who give us this web site to check in on and thanks to people that make paragonchat happen.

Geez, 5 years this December.  Most fans normally would have moved on by now, but COH was and remains that special.

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26827 on: March 01, 2017, 01:58:04 AM »
The good news is at least they had something to negotiate about...

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26828 on: March 01, 2017, 06:17:27 PM »
You would be incorrect assuming it was a response to you.  It wasn't at anyone in particular just an over all attitude that seemed to be spread across the last page.  That's why I didn't quote anyone in particular.  No one is to blame for being bummed they can't have their game.  But when it seems to me like the frustration is being directed at the wrong people I have to say something.  The royal you, not you personally.  My point is why be the bearer of bad news if you get hounded for good news or more likely just have no news at all to share.  In this case the people here who are thirsty for CoH, no news is bad news.  I read your post, it said you felt Nate and others got played by NCSoft.  I didn't misunderstand what you were saying and that's why you shouldn't assume my post was directed at you.

I honestly couldn't even name a person for who that post was directed at, it's just an attitude that seems to show up occasionally where people start taking their frustration out on Nate when there is no updates being given.  He has no obligation to update us, especially when there is likely no updates.  I would say that is also a reason why Iron Wolf and Nate don't frequent here anymore very often either, being hounded for updates when you don't have any can wear thin on a person.

Appreciate your response. That's why I asked.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26829 on: March 02, 2017, 12:34:05 AM »
I think this thread is too old and too tired for anyone to get worked up any more.  The next reply could call me an orange orangutan in a bad wig and I simply have no need to get worked up.

I think you look more like a blue starfish that's trying to sneak up on somebody.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26830 on: March 02, 2017, 01:15:34 AM »
I think you look more like a blue starfish that's trying to sneak up on somebody.

It's that damn justice league getting between me and conquering humanity....

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #26831 on: March 02, 2017, 02:07:42 AM »
I have no desire to fuel the dissatisfaction about the pace of the deal, and the lack of information.  However, I think I have a feel for why it persists.

A quote from Bane (The Dark Knight Rises) about the prison where he was raised that sums it up pretty well IMHO. 

"I learned here that there can be no true despair without hope."

It was only the idea that something like this was even a possibility that sparked hope, where none had been before.  Now that hope has faded that the deal can ever really happen, combined with our deep love for the game; despair has crept in, and predictably begun to manifest itself as anger and frustration.  It's a natural reaction, and we the faithful all feel it to varying degrees.  The only difference is how strongly we feel the urge to continue to post about it, and our individual success at suppressing that urge. 

I have certainly done my share of cathartic rage posting about it, back in the day.  I supposed I finally got the part where I accept that it won't happen.  However, the fact that I come here every day, and go straight to the "Task Force Hail Mary" thread must be an indication that there is still an ember of hope left in me.  Otherwise, I would not care enough to do even that.  Perhaps, someday, that ember can be fanned into a raging fire once more.  I look forward to that possibility.
What was no more, is now reborn!

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26832 on: March 02, 2017, 02:27:41 AM »
It's that damn justice league getting between me and conquering humanity....

Forget them for a bit and attach yourself to some ncsoft faces til you find the right one.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26833 on: March 02, 2017, 03:20:27 AM »
What, do we need another Pantless Avenger Report?

Ok.

This just in,
The team that is trying to purchase City of Heroes, I call them The THeM, has asked me to convey the following news.  Bill's wife had a baby.
Yup, The THeM has been hard at work making this happen.  So hats off to The THeM for their contributions to the cause.  Also, NCSoft has agreed to one more of the terms of the contract, but insises that the fourth and fifth paragraphes be re-worded to eliminate certain language that might constrain NCSoft it's heirs or assigns from excercising rights guranteed under the U.C.M.J. or other such jurisdictions.  The THeM reportedly responded to this reasonable request by saying, "Not only no, but <expletive redacted> no."  The talks are on-going.

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #26834 on: March 02, 2017, 01:36:31 PM »
What, do we need another Pantless Avenger Report?

Ok.

This just in,
The team that is trying to purchase City of Heroes, I call them The THeM, has asked me to convey the following news.  Bill's wife had a baby.
Yup, The THeM has been hard at work making this happen.  So hats off to The THeM for their contributions to the cause.  Also, NCSoft has agreed to one more of the terms of the contract, but insises that the fourth and fifth paragraphes be re-worded to eliminate certain language that might constrain NCSoft it's heirs or assigns from excercising rights guranteed under the U.C.M.J. or other such jurisdictions.  The THeM reportedly responded to this reasonable request by saying, "Not only no, but <expletive redacted> no."  The talks are on-going.

A huge part of me strongly and sincerely hopes that, when all is said and done, all of these "update" posts turn out to have been 100% true.
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26835 on: March 02, 2017, 02:16:11 PM »
A huge part of me strongly and sincerely hopes that, when all is said and done, all of these "update" posts turn out to have been 100% true.

The Pantless part is true, that's a good start.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26836 on: March 02, 2017, 07:44:37 PM »

Paragon Avenger is actually an all powerful seer.  What he is saying is 100% true, he just happens to see EVERY timeline for every potential universe.  So its a guessing game which one is our universe.

That's what happens when you reach the Omega Power in the incarnate power tiers, it would drive a lesser man mad.

adarict

• Boss
« Reply #26837 on: March 02, 2017, 11:19:25 PM »
Paragon Avenger is actually an all powerful seer.  What he is saying is 100% true, he just happens to see EVERY timeline for every potential universe.  So its a guessing game which one is our universe.

That's what happens when you reach the Omega Power in the incarnate power tiers, it would drive a lesser man mad.

Also what happens when you are a supergenius caterpillar on the remake of Voltron.  I was surprised how much I enjoyed that show.  I wish the caterpillar guy were in it more though.  He was funny.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26838 on: March 03, 2017, 01:36:14 AM »
A huge part of me strongly and sincerely hopes that, when all is said and done, all of these "[pantless] update" posts turn out to have been 100% true.

All of them are 100% true.  Any reports that appear to contradict require reading between the lines to get around the NDA.  Them Dairy Farmers are a powerful lobby.  (NDA = National Dairy Association).

Line up all the reports and take every fifth word from each, no never mind.

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #26839 on: March 03, 2017, 05:06:46 AM »
Line up all the reports and take every fifth word from each, no never mind.

Then drop the second and last letter of each word on the list. . .
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.