Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7280095 times)

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #26640 on: January 28, 2017, 01:57:30 AM »
Watched that "Death of a Game" video.    Pretty cool memory generator at least.   He did bring up a point I don't recall ever being mentioned.    The high cost of rent in California.   Anything that negatively affected the bottom line couldn't have helped matters.   Another one of the nails in the coffin I guess.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26641 on: January 28, 2017, 03:53:36 AM »
Watched that "Death of a Game" video.    Pretty cool memory generator at least.   He did bring up a point I don't recall ever being mentioned.    The high cost of rent in California.   Anything that negatively affected the bottom line couldn't have helped matters.   Another one of the nails in the coffin I guess.

It was discussed on the official forums and I believe it was also touched upon here.  Relatedly, one thing I heard was that one potential sticking point connected with the Paragon buyout attempt had to do with the specifics of assuming the lease of the studio which was substantial.  However I had conflicting information on whether that was a deal breaker or not.  I don't think the high rent in that area was a major factor in the shutdown.  Regardless, while I believe the game was still profitable at shutdown, the question of how to define "profitable" was itself something that was subject to political dispute.  In that case, the costs of operating the studio itself would have been indirectly relevant.  But I believe they were ammunition, not the trigger.

In other words, I believe if their rent was zero, City of Heroes would have still been shut down.  But that's not the same thing as saying the subject didn't come up in discussions of why the studio was being shut down.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26642 on: January 28, 2017, 06:35:04 AM »

Winter Fable

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26643 on: January 28, 2017, 09:01:49 AM »
NCSoft is making spiritual successors?  I haven't heard about any spiritual successors besides CoT and HoV, and VO.  Which all are  completely and totally unrelated to NCSoft.  I would go as far to say that the team at H&V loathe NCSoft.  If those are the spiritual successors you are referring to,  then NCSoft would probably love it if you boycotted them.  It certainly wouldn't hurt them.

As for NCSoft games, I played Wildstar.  Although not for long my friends stopped playing, basically the last MMO I played besides Wakfu.  While I miss CoH I am not here because of a vendetta against NCSoft, I just want my game back. I think its a shame internal politics killed the game off but NCSoft bleeding does nothing for me.  Just wanna play CoH.  I know better then to trust them or get to involved with their games, which pretty much suck anyway.  But if my friends are all playing an MMO chances are I am gonna play it with them.  I've been wronged in much, MUCH worse ways and forgiven people for much, much, much worse things then anything NCSoft could ever do to me.

If they sold COH and I wouldn't even utter ill of them ever again. Until then they are just another shady game company to me.  Only trusted to do what they do best, be shady.

I understand NCSoft has nothing to do with CoT,HoV and VO.I just feel like they gave up pretty fast and any games they make will only hurt CoX.I think the
deal(whoever they are/were)has failed but I still check the boards twice a month just incase :)I don't hate NCSoft I just miss CoX but I will still never play
any of their games again.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26644 on: January 28, 2017, 06:45:23 PM »
It was discussed on the official forums and I believe it was also touched upon here.  Relatedly, one thing I heard was that one potential sticking point connected with the Paragon buyout attempt had to do with the specifics of assuming the lease of the studio which was substantial.  However I had conflicting information on whether that was a deal breaker or not.  I don't think the high rent in that area was a major factor in the shutdown.  Regardless, while I believe the game was still profitable at shutdown, the question of how to define "profitable" was itself something that was subject to political dispute.  In that case, the costs of operating the studio itself would have been indirectly relevant.  But I believe they were ammunition, not the trigger.

In other words, I believe if their rent was zero, City of Heroes would have still been shut down.  But that's not the same thing as saying the subject didn't come up in discussions of why the studio was being shut down.

Wasn't there rumors of a "personality conflict" with NCSoft and someone from Paragon that helped kill the sale back then?  Could have sworn I'd heard something about that.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #26645 on: January 28, 2017, 06:57:11 PM »
I understand NCSoft has nothing to do with CoT,HoV and VO.I just feel like they gave up pretty fast and any games they make will only hurt CoX.I think the
deal(whoever they are/were)has failed but I still check the boards twice a month just incase :)I don't hate NCSoft I just miss CoX but I will still never play
Considering that there is no guarantee that NCsoft will ever sell the CoH IP, and every possibility that there are no functional copies of the server code left, it's a little bit cutting off your nose to spite your face to refuse to even look at any of the successor projects. Especially APR, since if the IP purchase does go through they would be the group migrating CoH to a current game engine, allowing new content (i24 and beyond) to be added and continued expansion of the storylines.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26646 on: January 28, 2017, 10:23:01 PM »
At this point, there cant be any actual negotiations going on. Maybe a vague hope of "in the future", but not any time this decade. The only real chance we have of a coh like game to play are the successors. Even they wont have anything until 2018 at the earliest. The new ship of heroes looks interesting, we will see what comes of it. MMO studios seem few and far between, mainly hobby projects rather than a studio that can even think of meeting release dates. Is there anything on the horizon that looks good? I havent heard of any.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26647 on: January 28, 2017, 11:59:01 PM »
At this point, there cant be any actual negotiations going on. Maybe a vague hope of "in the future", but not any time this decade. The only real chance we have of a coh like game to play are the successors. Even they wont have anything until 2018 at the earliest. The new ship of heroes looks interesting, we will see what comes of it. MMO studios seem few and far between, mainly hobby projects rather than a studio that can even think of meeting release dates. Is there anything on the horizon that looks good? I havent heard of any.
Pantheon and the Repopulation(iffy but huge potential).

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #26648 on: January 29, 2017, 12:05:02 AM »
*Sigh*

I really thought we would be home by now. . .

Seemed pretty clear to me after a year of no real news what ncsofts plans were.

But who knows? Wildstar isn't doing good due to poor management and may be on the chopping block soon. Maybe they'll wanna make money on that investment and sell our game finally? Yeah probably not... Don't fall for that again.

Biz

• Boss
« Reply #26649 on: January 29, 2017, 04:11:30 AM »

#Reassemble ? That deal was just announced, no idea what kind of games they have planned

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #26650 on: January 29, 2017, 04:45:54 AM »
Financially and politically speaking, I just don't see that NCSoft has any motivation to sell. They've taken a lot of heat from the fan base over the closure, and they are bound to be ticked about the whole thing.

But I had really hoped it would be different.
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26651 on: January 29, 2017, 09:04:04 AM »
It's very possible the upheaval at NC had a poor effect on negotiations, so maybe once things have cooled the team can take another shot...

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26652 on: January 29, 2017, 05:15:54 PM »
It's very possible the upheaval at NC had a poor effect on negotiations, so maybe once things have cooled the team can take another shot...
Another shot? That implies that this one failed. Source please?

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26653 on: January 29, 2017, 05:42:43 PM »
Another shot? That implies that this one failed. Source please?

Just the impression I got when someone on the team replied something to the effect of "they can say no 1000 times, all it takes is one yes"...

I'd find it, but you can just as easily - pretty sure it was Nate - unless someone quoted it from elsewhere.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26654 on: January 29, 2017, 06:13:47 PM »
Just the impression I got when someone on the team replied something to the effect of "they can say no 1000 times, all it takes is one yes"...

I'd find it, but you can just as easily - pretty sure it was Nate - unless someone quoted it from elsewhere.
Ah ok. I know what you are referring to.

BloodRaevynn

• Underling
« Reply #26655 on: January 30, 2017, 07:40:12 AM »

As I recall, that quote was from when negotiations were still actually ongoing.  And fairly early on too. It was a statement of commitment, not a suggestion that the negotiations had already fallen through.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26656 on: January 30, 2017, 12:17:23 PM »
As I recall, that quote was from when negotiations were still actually ongoing.  And fairly early on too. It was a statement of commitment, not a suggestion that the negotiations had already fallen through.
It can be read as both though

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26657 on: January 30, 2017, 01:48:52 PM »
Financially and politically speaking, I just don't see that NCSoft has any motivation to sell. They've taken a lot of heat from the fan base over the closure, and they are bound to be ticked about the whole thing.

I have my doubts about NCsoft caring about the storm they created when the shutdown was announced.

As to motivation to sell: $$$$
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26658 on: January 30, 2017, 03:02:58 PM »
I don't have any data points - but NCSoft could be thinking - "If we sell, we get $$ in the short run, but how many of the people that will play that game will play our game? If we keep it, we may be able to get smaller bits of money over time, which would add up to more $$."

If I recall, wasn't it Blade and Soul that came out at about the same time they closed the game? I'm sure they were hoping that we'd just hop over to that game.

Over time, they'll either realize they were right, or they were wrong. I'm sure they know they could have handled things in a better way, but now they would "lose face" or some type of cultural issue prevents them from making more lemonade out of the lemon.

Despite Trump's best efforts, our world will keep a global economy; and corporations being what they are, CEO's are encouraged to ever increase the share price. Eventually, the sell of the game could actually happen - but by that time, the tech will be so old, heck, WE will be so old, that it won't matter as much as it does now. I've a feeling that the new games that are in development to "replace" CoH are going to fill a void - but there will still be some emotional emptiness leftover. Even if the game were to return, it "wouldn't be the same" - because a lot of the player base has moved on - other games, no more games, etc.

It was the community that made the games. And most of these posts only take a moment to write; but to play a task force? That may take more time than we're used to spending.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26659 on: January 30, 2017, 11:14:28 PM »

That was my impression as well but I couldn't quite recall how early on it was and as Brigadine says it could be read either way. I also thought it was Iron Wolf who said it but don't quote me on that as my memory can be quite hazy at times.

I have my doubts about NCsoft caring about the storm they created when the shutdown was announced.

As to motivation to sell: $$$$

One would think at least. I've always wondered what their number would be to just upright sell it on a whim.  Like you throw enough money at them eventually they will give it up - it just might such an absurd amount no one would want to. $500 mil  cash ought to do it - everyone grab your piggy banks.