Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7291088 times)

MGLZadok

• Minion
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #24680 on: May 28, 2016, 02:39:46 PM »
In older seasons of The Big Bang Theory, when they were in Stuart's comic book store, you could see a large City of Heroes poster board.  *sigh*

And there was also "Captain Sweatpants" who always wore a shirt with a very familiar symbol...

Level 50s (Triumph)
Cybot 27 - Claws/Willpower Scrapper
Thelesis - Mind Control/Electricity Assault Dominator
Al'pha - Arachnos Crab Soldier
Damien Zadok - Soldiers/Pain Domination Mastermind

brothermutant

• New Efforts # 14,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24681 on: May 28, 2016, 05:14:23 PM »
In older seasons of The Big Bang Theory, when they were in Stuart's comic book store, you could see a large City of Heroes poster board.  *sigh*
They even mentioned "city of" in one episode when they were deciding to be good guys or bad guys; they said when they play coh/cov they always played heroes.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24682 on: May 28, 2016, 07:02:00 PM »
Some episodes of Chuck had Coh/Cov on the shelves at Buy More. 
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

r00tb0ySlim

• Boss
« Reply #24683 on: May 29, 2016, 03:21:32 PM »
When I want game, I just close my eyes and I play game.  And all that I so want to make in game, it's only an Icon away.

When I need game, I hold out my hand and I touch game.  I know P. Chat's not really the same, but it keeps me warm night and day.

It's not easy when the game is in limbo.  Star Trek Online can't take the place of Atlas.

But you know it won't be offline forever.  It's cold out.  So hold out.  And do like I do....

(With apologies to Leo Sayer)
Well...I about pissed myself when I read this ^^^ Leo Sayer!!!  Another hit from him: Thunder in My Heart...I think Thunder Glove is a fan  ;)

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #24684 on: May 29, 2016, 06:37:49 PM »
Last night I went to my sister's for dinner. Afterwords, we four talked about how awesome City of heroes and reminisced about the things we loved. Two of them had stopped playing and had never heard of the magic carpet & rocket board or the new Dark Astora. I was trying to tell them about my SG bases (I had several) and I couldn't remember all of the names!

I hope we get the game back soon before I forget too much.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24685 on: May 29, 2016, 07:13:47 PM »
It was a feature that was suppose to come out but it never did.

But then how could they change the game enough to break it if the feature never released in the first place?

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #24686 on: May 29, 2016, 09:14:52 PM »
But then how could they change the game enough to break it if the feature never released in the first place?
I think the person who posted it might have confused it with NeverWinters version.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24687 on: May 29, 2016, 09:31:22 PM »
Offline training fun?

Yeah, they had a feature (don't know if it still exists in any form) where you could assign crew to tasks to be done in real time whether you were logged in or not.  The tasks were classified under heading like trade, medical, engineering, etc and gained you levels of expertise in these categories.  You could get a number of crew assigned to you, buy packs in the online store, acquire certain crew by completing select missions, etc.  I logged in one day to find it all changed and I haven't been on in my main characters since.

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24688 on: May 29, 2016, 09:45:35 PM »
Oh, and as for the magic carpet transport power, that was what inspired me to make a new magical scrapper hero.

Ali Bubba
Billy Bob Bodine was shining up an old railroad lantern for flea market and found a genie that granted him superhero powers and a flying carpet!

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #24689 on: May 29, 2016, 11:29:49 PM »
Yeah, they had a feature (don't know if it still exists in any form) where you could assign crew to tasks to be done in real time whether you were logged in or not.  The tasks were classified under heading like trade, medical, engineering, etc and gained you levels of expertise in these categories.  You could get a number of crew assigned to you, buy packs in the online store, acquire certain crew by completing select missions, etc.  I logged in one day to find it all changed and I haven't been on in my main characters since.
What your talking about was for Neverwinter, Sto never had this feature. It was in discussion but never hit Tribble or live. I think you are referring to the doff system http://sto.gamepedia.com/Duty_officer.
also this might help ya :) Expansion of Duty Officer system [2]  DOff system to be implemented into the STO Gateway http://sto.gamepedia.com/Upcoming_content/Older_ideas

« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 11:38:01 PM by Angel Phoenix77 »

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24690 on: May 30, 2016, 02:51:40 AM »
Oh, and as for the magic carpet transport power, that was what inspired me to make a new magical scrapper hero.

Ali Bubba

I got such a huge smile from this one!  Ali Bubba, I love it.   :D

And that too was one of the things I loved about COH - the creativity it inspired and enabled. 

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24691 on: May 30, 2016, 10:34:58 PM »
And there was also "Captain Sweatpants" who always wore a shirt with a very familiar symbol...

In the movie Grandma's Boy there's a scene where the lady walks in the office found a guy sleeping in the cubical and it shows a variety of City of Heroes comic books on the cubical wall in the background.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24692 on: May 31, 2016, 08:44:17 PM »

That's the duty officer system, and it still exists, and I'm not sure in what way they damaged it for you.  If anything it seems much better than it originally was, and they added another system recently called the Admiralty system that functions similarly, has (in some ways) better rewards, and uses starships instead of duty officers.  Admiralty starships are acquired by having the actual starships, can be earned by completing certain tasks, and some version can also be earned within the Admiralty system itself.  Hypothetically speaking you can earn a lot offline using the Duty Officer system and the Admiralty system combined.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24693 on: May 31, 2016, 10:28:45 PM »
I'm amazed that some MMOs are still alive and that CoH isn't.

I haven't found the combat on anything else comparable.

Azrael.

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24694 on: June 01, 2016, 02:23:21 AM »
What your talking about was for Neverwinter, Sto never had this feature. It was in discussion but never hit Tribble or live. I think you are referring to the doff system http://sto.gamepedia.com/Duty_officer.
also this might help ya :) Expansion of Duty Officer system [2]  DOff system to be implemented into the STO Gateway http://sto.gamepedia.com/Upcoming_content/Older_ideas

Well, all I know is I could assign officers to tasks as I described.  I never played Neverwinter.  This was Star Trek Online, but it was some time ago.

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24695 on: June 01, 2016, 03:05:05 AM »
last night I did a bad thing. I went into the shadow shard and just flew around.  now I miss the game even more. I just wish we knew one way or the other.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24696 on: June 01, 2016, 03:39:41 AM »
last night I did a bad thing. I went into the shadow shard and just flew around.  now I miss the game even more.

If you pretend you're the slow guy with unslotted Fly, you can even pretend you're running a Dr Q.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24697 on: June 01, 2016, 05:39:27 AM »
If you pretend you're the slow guy with unslotted Fly, you can even pretend you're running a Dr Q.

The game has been gone for so long now I even miss the Dr Q TF despite its number of missions.

Though when the game returns I would consider streamlining it a bit as I think some of the missions were repeats.  Also I'd make sure that ALL TF and SF contacts give their number right away so you can call them from a distance, especially DR Q :)
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #24698 on: June 01, 2016, 08:42:23 AM »
Well, all I know is I could assign officers to tasks as I described.  I never played Neverwinter.  This was Star Trek Online, but it was some time ago.
Sorry, but this feature was never a part of STO, I have been playing since cb phase 2. I checked the boards and went back as far as  2 years and found nothing. While I believe that you could assign doffs to missions, it could only be done online. If you can find proof of this feature existed and was implemented then I will stand with ya. However, something like this feature being closed down if it ever was one would have caused people on the boards to be upset. 

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24699 on: June 01, 2016, 12:49:06 PM »

You could do this I guess, I'm just not sure why one would.