Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7400682 times)

blacksly

• Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #24540 on: May 15, 2016, 10:57:27 PM »
So that means my ENG/ENG blaster would shoot streams of words at my enemies? And smack them with a motor when they get too close? ... I'd be okay with that character. :D

Or, you could shoot engines at your enemies, and give them a verbal smackdown if they get too close. Depends on whether it would be a English/Engine, or an Engine/English Blaster.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24541 on: May 15, 2016, 11:32:15 PM »
Ugh I know......Mine was Energy/Devices but still.  I had big plans :(  Insta snipe, Crashless nukes, and I can't really recall now but I feel like I had some changes that would make my end recovery even better with out giving up anything else.  It was gonna be epic :(

:(

Azrael.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24542 on: May 15, 2016, 11:34:35 PM »
Or, you could shoot engines at your enemies, and give them a verbal smackdown if they get too close. Depends on whether it would be a English/Engine, or an Engine/English Blaster.

Car Mechanic blaster?
No Surrender!

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24543 on: May 15, 2016, 11:38:19 PM »
But, his reason for doing so gave me the idea that the explanation would have gone over his head. I still find it really surprising that someone could so stupid justin order to find a phone so he could call someone about getting the tie-rod fixed on the pickup.

There is no limit to Human stupidity, unfortunately.

He was backing down the freeway because he needed a new tie rod for his truck. Don't know what's worse, he'd be stupid enough to do that or the fact that he has the right to vote (assuming citizenship of course) and probably does.
No Surrender!

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #24544 on: May 16, 2016, 01:45:18 AM »
For those that care, so long.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24545 on: May 16, 2016, 02:49:49 AM »
For those that care, so long.

Kind of a weird way to commemorate changing your avatar.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24546 on: May 16, 2016, 04:30:32 AM »
I have a grteat idea.
Let's all hold our breaths until we get City of Heroes back.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24547 on: May 16, 2016, 05:03:17 AM »
Car Mechanic blaster?

Who doesn't use language when the motor doesn't work?
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Groundbreaker

• Minion
« Reply #24548 on: May 16, 2016, 08:01:39 AM »
Well I am English so technically my characters were all English/English :P
"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24549 on: May 16, 2016, 09:20:41 AM »
I have a grteat idea.
:( a big world record with a lot of dead bodies....

Biz

• Boss
« Reply #24550 on: May 16, 2016, 11:05:10 AM »
There is no limit to Human stupidity, unfortunately.

Is that a challenge...?  ;)

adarict

• Boss
« Reply #24551 on: May 16, 2016, 02:17:45 PM »
I made my first emp/elec because my very first character, an elec/elec blaster was just awful. I don't know how much debt he had - but it was at least a full level. (I didn't even know what those dark blue bubbles meant back then.)

I made the defender not even knowing that the heal power would be for others to benefit from - I skipped heal other and absorb pain - and had really made the character to be a blaster with a way to self heal. I had no idea there would be a power pool where I could heal myself - but then, the rate I was going, I might have never gotten there. I ended up deleting him, I was so frustrated with him. I regretted that for the longest time because that character had badges that my main would never get.

Some of us had to learn the hard way, I guess.

That was sort of my reasoning.  My Emp/Ele defender was my first real character, and I continued playing him as my main right up until shutdown.  I didn't pick Emp with the idea of healing other people.  Well, sort of.  My wife and I both played.  Was was a Fire/NRG blaster.  I wanted the self heals just for my own help.  CoH was my first modern MMO.  I wasn't sure what would or wouldn't be needed.  I did not come from any other MMO, so I didn't have any of the holy trinity thinking.  All I wanted was something that would allow me to be self-sufficient.

In the end, my heels really were almost entirely an afterthought.  I built him as a sapper, and he was quite good at it.  All of my other EMP boosts kept the team up and running, with occasional targeted heals.  My Heal aura very seldom got used.  Interrupted my attack flow too much.  :)  I did go through quite a few teams where I was yelled at or threatened to be kicked off if I wouldn't stop blasting.  They kept telling me I wasn't doing enough damage to matter.  They never thought about the End Drain.  In the end, I had so many IOs geared towards End Drain, there weren't a lot of things I couldn't completely drain.

It was definitely a chore to build an Emp/Ele up in the early part of the game, but it was so worth it in the end.  Great on teams, and I could solo almost anything.  Granted, soloing was almost painfully slow.  Some of the higher level things could take significant amounts of time to whittle down.  :)  Drawback to focusing on End Drain is, not a lot of places to boost your damage output.  When things felt too slow, I would swap over to my Kat/Reg scrapper and tear through things. 

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24552 on: May 16, 2016, 03:16:54 PM »
Who doesn't use language when the motor doesn't work?

Well, I did suggest to the devs they make a construction manager mastermind.  The manager would throw blueprints while the underlings would use wrenches in melee combat and nail guns for ranged attacks.  The heavy weight could throw dynamite lit from an arch welder for ranged and use the arch welder as his melee attack.  Don't remember what I suggested the two middle level guys could do.  Maybe make the 3rd low level the samwich girl.  She throws ham and cheese samwiches for her attacks and uses mustard and ketchup squeeze bottles for melee.

So why not have a car mechanic blaster who throws engine parts for ranged and uses harsh language and tools for melee.
No Surrender!

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24553 on: May 16, 2016, 04:38:46 PM »
 think the 'Going Rogue' power sets of the Resistance and the 'new' Clock Soldiers would have made a sound 'laser' sets.

Playing WoW at the moment.  It's...er...'different.'

It only makes me appreciate (and miss...) the combat and mobs in CoH more.  It really was ahead of its time and unique.

Azrael.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24554 on: May 16, 2016, 04:45:22 PM »
Is that a challenge...?  ;)

I wasn't intended that way. However, I'm sure that the people that hand out the Darwin awards would be overjoyed to find more unique way of people removing themselves from the gene pool. Some of the stories, although sad that people die, are rather funny at the same time. because of how they went about it.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

brothermutant

• New Efforts # 14,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24555 on: May 16, 2016, 06:41:07 PM »
I have a grteat idea.
Whoa...I'm dizzy now.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24556 on: May 16, 2016, 07:08:36 PM »
The worst bugs and stability don't show up until many players are playing the content and collecting stuff simultaneously. Something you cant properly test with a few people.

That's sometimes true, but as Codewalker stated that's something you'd likely do *after* you were feature complete.  Because otherwise you'd be stress testing something that was incomplete.  Why would you do that?  You'd just have to stress test again when you were feature complete.

Also, to be candid, you should be able to write reasonable performance software to implement City of Heroes' feature set for maps of reasonable capacity.  Eight people in an instanced mission, 50 in a raid, these are target numbers that shouldn't require *open* stress testing.  They are the kinds of things you can test yourself in development.  You might want to stress test core non-scalable components across, say, 5000 players, but I wouldn't want to even attempt that without an actual working game fully functional first.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24557 on: May 16, 2016, 07:13:28 PM »
Unless parts of the design are bad enough that producing the correct results can only be done by replicating the implementation details (or going WAY out of the way to simulate them).

If the bad code has a lot of weird side effects that are actually used, then that's possible.  I don't *think* that happens very often in City of Heroes in areas the players would care about, but then again I'm not familiar with all the edge cases far away from the core powers systems.

Even then, in other projects I've worked on what I've tended to do is try to make a "clean" implementation of the core behavior and then write in an "exception engine" that replicates the weird behavior that is isolated from the main code.  That way I don't have to replicate the weird behavior with actual weird code, and if I can later change "desired behavior" to something cleaner I have an easier time removing exception cases rather than reengineering the code.  If that makes sense.

I also acknowledge that is not as easy when it happens deep within a real time engine.  It is a lot easier to do when absolute execution optimization is not critical.  I don't do that kind of code a lot.

brothermutant

• New Efforts # 14,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24558 on: May 17, 2016, 02:32:27 PM »
think the 'Going Rogue' power sets of the Resistance and the 'new' Clock Soldiers would have made a sound 'laser' sets.

Playing WoW at the moment.  It's...er...'different.'

It only makes me appreciate (and miss...) the combat and mobs in CoH more.  It really was ahead of its time and unique.

Azrael.
Wish they would have given those power choices before they closed the game. Did anyone else think that the new power pool sets may have incorporated some of those powers in them? They fit thematically with what some of the powers were supposed to do (slow target, -regen, etc).

Thought they would have made a really cool blaster/blapper power sets.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24559 on: May 17, 2016, 05:55:14 PM »
Kind of a weird way to commemorate changing your avatar.

No, I think it's appropriate. Noyjitat was a leader in the Liberty community, leading Mothership raids on a regular basis, as well as various task forces. But, like many, he's lost trust that those who were "in talks" were being candid. Let's face it. No Korean business model is going to have it move so slow that something wouldn't have been done by now - even if that something was a stall tactic. The future may yet reveal what that NDA was all about, but more than likely not. But, without hearing some feedback - after two years since that time - people are within their rights to call shenanigans.

That doesn't mean that they are right - I just think it would be a normal expectation from many people. When you're out of the loop, you're out of the loop. So, you fill in the blanks with what makes sense to you.

So long Noy! Enjoyed it all!
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese