Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7293156 times)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #22580 on: February 11, 2016, 06:19:48 PM »
Assuming two accounts you could afk farm for PvP IOs, then convert them to what you want. Even after heavy adjustments to lower the drop rate for killing the same toon (and I think you could mostly get around that by limiting the recharge in your rez, but I only half paid attention when people were talking about this), peeps were still getting multiple drops/day without actually playing. Purples don't really have a shortcut.

Once F2P launched, it was trivial to set up PvP farms with lots of targets and one attacker, and you could get drop rates of about two or three a day.  You could get one of the big ones maybe every few weeks to a month.  It was way easier than attempting to farm purples.  I thought of one or two ways to idle farm those, but none were efficient enough to pursue.

Of course, in a reboot, you couldn't just convert them for whatever you want because the markets might be empty.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22581 on: February 11, 2016, 06:22:58 PM »
I'd say my fastest level 50 would have to be my Katana/willpower scrapper. Three hours is all it took. Used the pre-nerf Rikti Comm officer farming map.

Near the end, it took me about four hours using the "Fire cave" farming map to level my SS/fire brute.

There were exploit maps like those, or the crystal map, that could level you practically instantly.  But are you aware of a fast map that would have worked in the last patched version of I23 before shutdown?  I can't think of one, but it wasn't something I was paying attention to at that time.  I think in a static rebooted I23 none of us here will care if there is a fast path leveling map, and the game operators would likely not be able to patch it to fix it regardless.

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22582 on: February 11, 2016, 06:26:50 PM »
There were exploit maps like those, or the crystal map, that could level you practically instantly.  But are you aware of a fast map that would have worked in the last patched version of I23 before shutdown?  I can't think of one, but it wasn't something I was paying attention to at that time.  I think in a static rebooted I23 none of us here will care if there is a fast path leveling map, and the game operators would likely not be able to patch it to fix it regardless.

Fastest I got to 1-50 was less than 2 hours with the snake b gone exploit. I had 1 villain up until then, afterwards I fielded 7 lvl 50 villains in 3 days

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22583 on: February 11, 2016, 06:59:48 PM »
Never heard of any of those exploits...

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22584 on: February 11, 2016, 07:06:55 PM »
Fastest I got to 1-50 was less than 2 hours with the snake b gone exploit. I had 1 villain up until then, afterwards I fielded 7 lvl 50 villains in 3 days

The most insane one I remember was the mastermind exploit where you could spawn your pets at level 50 outside the map, then the farm was level 1 GMs. You'd be level 1 too but the pets would stay 50. That was 1-50 in about 40 minutes iirc. Obviously that got patched right quick.

As to idle farming purples - could do it in RV with a heavy but you had to move too often to make it truly afk. And obviously you had the same drop rate as the normal game so it wasn't particularly worthwhile.

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22585 on: February 11, 2016, 07:15:38 PM »
Never heard of any of those exploits...

Snake B Gone was an interesting exploit. In the end of arc mission for lvl 50s, the one with killing the God Snake or something of that nature, you would be given a temp power called snake b gone that basically one shots any snake adds and the mission conveniently will be in Mercy Island. The glitch is a you will party with a lvl 50 no bridges needed and the lvl 50 will get to the end chamber. The lvl 50 will clear out all the adds not touch the AV in the end and leave the snake eggs in tact. The lvl 50 then will tp everyone and all the lvl 1s will proceed in doing atleast 1 dmg to each of the egg. The lvl 50 then will leave the party and use the snake b gone to pop the eggs and everyone who got 1 hit on the egg will get the full xp.By full xp 1 egg will level you from lvl 1 to lvl 24 ish instantly and there was about 5-6 eggs each run. Course this was a close kept exploit in the PvP community until someone went on the PvP forums and ask about and someone from JAL went berserk and went off on the individual for revealing the exploit (which resulted getting the guy banned from the forums.) Needless to say the eggs stop giving out xp after it was found out, but the devs didn't do a hot fix to patch it up. It was only fixed with the new issue.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22586 on: February 11, 2016, 07:38:58 PM »
It seemed almost everything that insta-kills things eventually turned up in an exploit of some kind.  Even the Lost cure wand was discovered to be able to "cure" things like Lost AVs for full XP at one point if I recall correctly.

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22587 on: February 11, 2016, 07:41:06 PM »

I spent 4 minutes watching Sauron killing people in your gif, wondering how many more people he can kill.

That's pretty much how a bane spider played if you had a force-feedback proc on all of your attacks. Moreso if you fully IO'd it at 50.

As to idle farming purples - could do it in RV with a heavy but you had to move too often to make it truly afk. And obviously you had the same drop rate as the normal game so it wasn't particularly worthwhile.
I would often baffle my guilds, as I essentially had a purple drop rate of at-least one every two days. Clear all my alignment stuff at +1x8, run some newspaper missions, if one dropped, head to the market, and sell it off for 500mil, then go to Pocket D and bum around. Once that sells, use the INF to fund another character's build.

I usually fought Council when I could, as they spawn a -lot- of dudes, and aren't that tricky mechanically. Though, my Warshade, Crab, and the Plant/fire/fire Dominator were pretty much unstoppable, so they could pretty much handle anything the job lists offered.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 07:48:23 PM by Waffles »

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22588 on: February 11, 2016, 07:57:58 PM »

That one didn't really work for two reasons: when you're afk the heavy won't engage any significant number of targets, and you're likely to get disrupted in RV: you're tying up one of the heavies on that side.  Unlike PvPIO farming which you could do in some far off place on the map and be unlikely to be discovered unless someone was explicitly looking for you.

The key to afk purple farming was finding an instanced mission that spawned an unlimited number of critters you could kill for rewards while afk.  As far as I know, there is no such map in the conventional sense, but there were some maps that spawned critters that themselves spawned minions that were killable for XP (i.e. not pet classes critters), and whose minion spawn powers did eventually recharge.  I don't have examples handy off the top of my head, but enterprising players could research that one.  One problem was figuring out how to afk auto yourself to kill the minions but not do so much damage you kill the spawner.  Another problem was finding such a circumstance you could replicate and reset at will, and generated rewards fast enough that 24 hours of afk would beat just plain playing the game for one hour.  I never found the magic combination of circumstances that satisfied all the necessary parameters.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22589 on: February 11, 2016, 07:59:29 PM »
Ugh, completely forgot about old timey sidekicking and bridges. Pretty much the throwing feces to super-sidekicking's smart phone.

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22590 on: February 11, 2016, 08:07:48 PM »
Unlike PvPIO farming which you could do in some far off place on the map and be unlikely to be discovered unless someone was explicitly looking for you.

Especially if no one can see you. ;)

Sihada

• Minion
« Reply #22591 on: February 11, 2016, 08:25:30 PM »
i take it there is still no news?
And no reason to expect that there will be any.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22592 on: February 11, 2016, 09:15:51 PM »
i take it there is still no news?

1.3 billion years ago two black holes, one with about 36 times the mass of the Sun and one with 29 times the mass of the Sun, made their final approach in a decaying orbit.  In the last tenth of a second they exceeded half the speed of light and merged, converting three times the Sun's mass into gravitational wave energy.  These space-time ripples crossed 450 megaparsecs of distance and arrived at Earth in September 2015, causing two gravitational wave interferometer detectors to vibrate about a thousandth the width of a proton for about 80 milliseconds.  Computers analyzing the data combed through all of the vibrational noise being measured, including the energy of ocean waves hitting the coastline of the gulf of mexico, and picked out the distinctive signal predicted by General Relativity.

100 years ago in 1916, Einstein predicted the existence of gravitational waves as part of his theory of General Relativity.  However, he also predicted that it would be the one prediction that would never be experimentally confirmed because the theory predicted the waves would be so small they would be impossible to ever be measured: about one part in a billion trillion.  When the gravitational waves generated by that merging black hole binary reached this part of the galaxy they shrunk and expanded the distance between our solar system and Alpha Centauri by less than a tenth of a millimeter.  Even when the theory of using interferometry made it seem less impossible, it still took over forty years for technology to catch up with theory to make sensitive enough detectors to work.

The news of the day is: never assume something is impossible just because it takes a long time to happen.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22593 on: February 11, 2016, 10:00:36 PM »
1.3 billion years ago two black holes, one with about 36 times the mass of the Sun and one with 29 times the mass of the Sun, made their final approach in a decaying orbit.  In the last tenth of a second they exceeded half the speed of light and merged, converting three times the Sun's mass into gravitational wave energy.  These space-time ripples crossed 450 megaparsecs of distance and arrived at Earth in September 2015, causing two gravitational wave interferometer detectors to vibrate about a thousandth the width of a proton for about 80 milliseconds.  Computers analyzing the data combed through all of the vibrational noise being measured, including the energy of ocean waves hitting the coastline of the gulf of mexico, and picked out the distinctive signal predicted by General Relativity.

100 years ago in 1916, Einstein predicted the existence of gravitational waves as part of his theory of General Relativity.  However, he also predicted that it would be the one prediction that would never be experimentally confirmed because the theory predicted the waves would be so small they would be impossible to ever be measured: about one part in a billion trillion.  When the gravitational waves generated by that merging black hole binary reached this part of the galaxy they shrunk and expanded the distance between our solar system and Alpha Centauri by less than a tenth of a millimeter.  Even when the theory of using interferometry made it seem less impossible, it still took over forty years for technology to catch up with theory to make sensitive enough detectors to work.

The news of the day is: never assume something is impossible just because it takes a long time to happen.

Mean while in a galaxy far, far away, 2 humanoids walk into something that looks like a bar filled with more humanoids that look like them.  One grunts, "less filling," while another grunts back a little loader, "tastes great!"  A fight ensues among the bar patrons and not one of then notices the light produced by the attempted merging of 2 black holes.

On the lighter side of the news, city of klingon warriors and it's companion game city of romulans was returned to service by the good people at the united federation of studios.   ;)
No Surrender!

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22594 on: February 11, 2016, 10:50:06 PM »

Which ties neatly into 'New Efforts' by THeM,  'Paragon Chat' by SCoRE and CoH's phoenix like return.

Azrael.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22595 on: February 11, 2016, 11:05:55 PM »
Mean while in a galaxy far, far away, 2 humanoids walk into something that looks like a bar filled with more humanoids that look like them.  One grunts, "less filling," while another grunts back a little loader, "tastes great!"  A fight ensues among the bar patrons and not one of then notices the light produced by the attempted merging of 2 black holes.

On the lighter side of the news, city of klingon warriors and it's companion game city of romulans was returned to service by the good people at the united federation of studios.   ;)

http://www.federationofbeer.com/

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #22596 on: February 11, 2016, 11:09:35 PM »
It seemed almost everything that insta-kills things eventually turned up in an exploit of some kind.  Even the Lost cure wand was discovered to be able to "cure" things like Lost AVs for full XP at one point if I recall correctly.
I cured Lemkins at the end of Signature story arc 1 in Skyway City with the Lost curing wand. It was glorious and I had it on demorecord.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22597 on: February 12, 2016, 03:15:45 AM »
If you are like me, and you poor thing if you are, then you kind of would like a weekly update about THeM's progress.  If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself.

Talks are still on-going.  Everything's ok and going as expected.  We love you.

Ok, now back to whatever you were talking about.

(Some of the details of this post were gathered by extrapolation.)

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22598 on: February 12, 2016, 03:51:23 AM »
Okay, will someone tell me what THeM stands for???

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22599 on: February 12, 2016, 03:56:54 AM »
Taskforce Hail Mary. And no, we don't know what the 'e' stands for.