Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7432420 times)

Surelle

Re: New efforts!
« Reply #18640 on: July 14, 2015, 06:52:54 PM »
I hope Nexon actually has a successful takeover of NCSoft. They would probably sell off the rights to CoX for a quick buck. Nexon gets what they want (NCSoft), we get what we want (CoX back), and the people at NCSoft lose their jobs (since they are the ones who shut down CoX in the first place). This is a win-win-win scenario!

Don't be so sure about that.  Two months after Nexon invested its original 14% into NCSoft in July, 2012, the CoX shutdown announcement came.  I've always felt Nexon had just as much to do with it as NCSoft, so the jury's still out on that one.

Nebularian

• Boss
    • Voyages of Imagination
« Reply #18641 on: July 14, 2015, 07:14:23 PM »
Why does everyone blatantly ignore the "Wake me when there's news" signup sticky right at the top of this very forum?   ???

Didn't blatantly ignore it. Not at all.   Just hoped against hope that, after all this time, there might be just a bit of news....even if unofficial.  As it was I DID learn something......If I had not asked, I would still be totally unaware of the Nexon/NCsoft thing.
(@Nebularian)(AKA Dylan Clearbrook) Champion/Virtue - Nebularian/Sgt. Raines/Nurse Darklight/Cosmicana-Cosmicella/Mercy Vengeance/Angel Sprite/Suzy Uzi/Blue Arc/Dark Carolyne 

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18642 on: July 14, 2015, 11:19:16 PM »
I hope Nexon actually has a successful takeover of NCSoft. They would probably sell off the rights to CoX for a quick buck. Nexon gets what they want (NCSoft), we get what we want (CoX back), and the people at NCSoft lose their jobs (since they are the ones who shut down CoX in the first place). This is a win-win-win scenario!

Just because the Supreme Court says corporations are people, that doesn't mean each and every employee is merely a component of a larger monolithic entity and shares responsibility for all of its corporate actions.  Spitefully wishing that a CEO loses their job because of a decision they made is one thing, wishing that everyone in the mailroom also loses their jobs is just mean.

Ryo Kinsaru

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18643 on: July 15, 2015, 06:45:07 AM »
Just because the Supreme Court says corporations are people, that doesn't mean each and every employee is merely a component of a larger monolithic entity and shares responsibility for all of its corporate actions.  Spitefully wishing that a CEO loses their job because of a decision they made is one thing, wishing that everyone in the mailroom also loses their jobs is just mean.

I think I've been spending too much time in the YouTube comments sections with the dregs. I'd forgotten that logic, reason, understanding, and empathy were allowed on the interwebz.
I can't think of anything clever to place here as I am currently over-caffeinated on very little sleep. All the cool people have a signature, so I will drop random text here trying to fit in.

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18644 on: July 15, 2015, 10:51:05 AM »
I think I've been spending too much time in the YouTube comments sections with the dregs. I'd forgotten that logic, reason, understanding, and empathy were allowed on the interwebz.

Corporations are people, but YouTube commenters are subhuman monsters.

Karu8

• Underling
« Reply #18645 on: July 15, 2015, 01:05:27 PM »
Corporations are people, but YouTube commenters are subhuman monsters.

There's no need to insult subhuman monsters like that.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18646 on: July 15, 2015, 01:10:18 PM »
I'd forgotten that logic, reason, understanding, and empathy were allowed on the interwebz.

I'd heard about the existence of a "dark" web but I didn't realize it had gone this far.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18647 on: July 15, 2015, 02:16:54 PM »
There's no need to insult subhuman monsters like that.
Lol, I have seen some pretty dang funny comments over der...

Ryo Kinsaru

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18648 on: July 15, 2015, 08:07:44 PM »
Sorry, I did not mean to bring this blog down like that. I will go grab a switch from the brush out front and give myself a whooping.
I can't think of anything clever to place here as I am currently over-caffeinated on very little sleep. All the cool people have a signature, so I will drop random text here trying to fit in.

rebel 1812

• Boss
« Reply #18649 on: July 15, 2015, 10:46:29 PM »
I disagree. Nexon's action seems to be more punitive and anger driven than profit motivated. They seem have a beef with the management at NCSoft rather than trying to squeeze out a buck.

We as players could loose big.

You could say the same thing about many of NCSoft's actions.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18650 on: July 16, 2015, 04:05:44 PM »
You could say the same thing about many of NCSoft's actions.
Good point...

kaaduu1280

• Minion
« Reply #18651 on: July 16, 2015, 04:34:55 PM »
I've got to wonder...what exactly goes on in talks like these that makes them take so long?  You wouldn't think that simply talking and negotiating about a game like this would take as long as it has.  What else is there that goes on in something like this?

Just some general curiosity.
"Do not attribute to Malice what can instead be attributed to Stupidity." -NakaTeleeli

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18652 on: July 16, 2015, 04:42:08 PM »
I've got to wonder...what exactly goes on in talks like these that makes them take so long?  You wouldn't think that simply talking and negotiating about a game like this would take as long as it has.  What else is there that goes on in something like this?

Usually it's stuff that has nothing to do with the talks. Running the company is more important than selling off a property that is almost three years dead.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

BadWolf

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18653 on: July 16, 2015, 05:47:32 PM »

You would be amazed at the amount of detail that goes into something like this. NCSoft has probably asked to examine every detail of the purchasing company's finances. Probably they've asked for a detailed business plan on what the new company plans to do with CoH, then asked for technical tests to determine the feasibility of said plan. There's issues to be resolved over staffing, marketing, ancillary rights...hundreds upon hundreds of tiny details that have to be run back and forth between different legal teams and negotiators on both sides. It's an extremely complicated process that can actually take years, depending on the size of the companies involved and the complexity of what's being bought and sold, and most of the time both sides are under non-disclosure agreements that prevent them from even talking about the deal until the ink is dry on the contracts. If we hear an official announcement by 2017, I'll be happy.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18654 on: July 16, 2015, 06:14:21 PM »

Buyers would likely have to show a business plan as well as show that they have the technical savvy to operate the game and the servers.

Then of course there is any pandering to the ego's of NCsoft.....
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18655 on: July 16, 2015, 06:33:36 PM »

I presume this is all happening via email, but let's say the negotiations are happening in person.  I don't send The Man to the negotiations.  That's an amateur move.  I send the negotiators.  So you make them a proposal.  They ask you a bunch of questions.  Many of them you won't be able to answer off the top of your head.  Good bye, let's schedule another meeting for next week Tuesday after you get those answers.

Ok, now you have those answers.  We have follow up questions.  See you next week.

OK, now you have questions.  We'll need to review those with management and get back to you.  See you after the holidays.

Ok, now we have a complete proposal.  We will need to review this with management.  See you after the end of the quarter.

The thing you have to realize is that you can spend hours talking about something you might naively think should just take minutes, just because of the combination of formality and ironically casual conversation that happens in such meetings (there's a formality to negotiations, and the reason why we send people instead of robots is because 90% of the talking is designed to put the other side at ease and willing to show their hand; how's the kids, crazy weather we're having, how was that concert you were going to last week?).  But that's not what takes up most of the time.  Its the back and forth that is all but deliberately designed to slow the pace of things so that everyone who has any sort of say or input has some say or input, and to make sure neither party can trap the other into giving a quick yes or no to anything.

I wrote a one page memo for a customer to review last month, and it took three weeks for them to get six people to read and review it.  And that was for something *they* wanted me to do for them, not the other way around.  Do you think that was because of their reading speed?  Some guys read it that day.  Some put it off until the end of the week.  One guy didn't touch it until the following week.  Several wanted to talk to each other about it.  One guy went on vacation in the middle.  One of the guys who read it on the first day forgot to respond, and had to be reminded to read it again.

How many one page memos do you think it takes to buy the intellectual property of a defunct video game from a Korean company in the middle of merger negotiations?  Thirty?  Fifty?  How many of them will be internal, and you won't even see any activity at all while they are happening?  How much time is happening between things happening that if you try to accelerate the process, you'll be perceived as impatient, and thus an annoyance?

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #18656 on: July 16, 2015, 06:50:33 PM »
Good summary Arcana.  ;)
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #18657 on: July 16, 2015, 07:53:29 PM »
Sounds like a nemesis automation. "How was the game?" "I need to see those tps reports!"

MegaWatt

• Boss
  • No i didnt call security bots......uh oh!
« Reply #18658 on: July 16, 2015, 07:57:37 PM »
'Corporate Drones' as it were.
If we set it on fire it'll burn....but that'd leave evidence...I KNOW ! COMPLETE ATOMIZATION! WOOOO!

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18659 on: July 16, 2015, 08:21:43 PM »
Sounds like a nemesis automation. "How was the game?" "I need to see those tps reports!"

I bet there is one automation that thinks like Milton