Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7292536 times)

Shibboleth

• Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #18500 on: July 03, 2015, 08:16:50 PM »
(Amusing subscript to this -- I used to tell my wife about the meteor thing and she contended that it wasn't THAT bad a solution to the cliff hanger if you established there were meteors that night or something.  I said she was nuts.  Then we were watching Smallville one night and the writers did EXACTLY WHAT I HAD ALWAYS USED AS MY EXAMPLE OF BAD WRITING!  My wife turned to me and said, "See".

Teach you to disagree with your wife.  ;D

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #18501 on: July 03, 2015, 08:24:44 PM »
Teach you to disagree with your wife.  ;D

Well, she is a professional free-lance content editor and a couple of the books she's edited have had the number 1 slots on Amazon sales in their category and one hit number one for all Kindle sales.
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #18502 on: July 03, 2015, 08:34:04 PM »
I actually like that movie.

Well, I suppose -someone- has to...

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #18503 on: July 03, 2015, 08:53:54 PM »
Dang it Krypto! Get off the cosmic treadmill!!

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152700058168509

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18504 on: July 03, 2015, 10:48:38 PM »

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18505 on: July 03, 2015, 10:51:55 PM »
Well, I suppose -someone- has to...

Far better then the Stallone version....
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18506 on: July 03, 2015, 11:11:57 PM »

Agreed.  I thought it was reasonably authentic.  None of the 'I am durrr Lu-OAR' from the 1st attempt.  Had a 'B' Movie vibe.  But it was a decent watch.  Decent effects on the Mega City.  And the story was good enough.   Worth a sequel?  It can't be any worse than the limp Age of Iron Man 4.

Azrael.

That's the spirit. :P

Shame that was never a power in CoH...window throw...

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18507 on: July 03, 2015, 11:44:28 PM »
Agreed.  I thought it was reasonably authentic.  None of the 'I am durrr Lu-OAR' from the 1st attempt.  Had a 'B' Movie vibe.  But it was a decent watch.  Decent effects on the Mega City.  And the story was good enough.   Worth a sequel?  It can't be any worse than the limp Age of Iron Man 4.

Azrael.

That's the spirit. :P

Shame that was never a power in CoH...window throw...

John Wagner, creator of Dredd has nothing nice to say about Stallone Dredd, but had nothing but praise for Dredd and even had an on screen cameo in it.

Very realistic, very grim and violent, and of course this movie adhered to the primary rule of the character: the fans must NEVER see Dredd's face without his helmet on.  Stallone's ego clearly broke that rule in his movie. :)

Speaking of Stallone, if you want to see a fun but seriously censored 80's cartoon,  watch the RAMBO animated series.   
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 11:49:43 PM by Sinistar »
In fearful COH-less days

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18508 on: July 04, 2015, 01:48:42 AM »
I liked Dredd stylistically, there just wasn't much plot there. I thought it seemed like an attempt to start a Judge Anderson franchise.

Ohioknight - you should have said "See" right back at your wife. Something being used on Smallville is hardly an argument for its being not-that-bad writing, more the opposite.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18509 on: July 04, 2015, 01:51:13 AM »
I liked Dredd stylistically, there just wasn't much plot there. I thought it seemed like an attempt to start a Judge Anderson franchise.

Ohioknight - you should have said "See" right back at your wife. Something being used on Smallville is hardly an argument for its being not-that-bad writing, more the opposite.

The Dredd movie was more of a "day in the life of Judge Dredd".   If another movie does get made they need to bring in the Dark Judges
In fearful COH-less days

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #18510 on: July 04, 2015, 03:50:02 AM »

My wife's reply "fair point".
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #18511 on: July 04, 2015, 07:15:09 AM »

We'll have to agree to disagree there.  The Stallone version, to me, was far more true to the comic book origins than the more recent one. They tried to make it too "real".

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18512 on: July 04, 2015, 07:18:51 AM »
We'll have to agree to disagree there.  The Stallone version, to me, was far more true to the comic book origins than the more recent one. They tried to make it too "real".
uh, er, the Stallone one had him take off his helmet.

no no no no no no no no nonononononononononoooooooooooooooooooo.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #18513 on: July 04, 2015, 07:37:26 AM »
uh, er, the Stallone one had him take off his helmet.

no no no no no no no no nonononononononononoooooooooooooooooooo.

Well, yes, I agree that was bad, but the rest of the movie was not!

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18514 on: July 04, 2015, 07:40:59 AM »
The Stallone version, to me, was far more true to the comic book origins than the more recent one.

In what way?

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #18515 on: July 04, 2015, 07:54:26 AM »
In what way?

Well, bear in mind that I haven't actually -read- the 2000AD comic since the early 80's, and I wasn't an avid reader, so I'm basing my opinion on my faded memories, but it seems to me that the Stallone version had a far greater comic book feel to it.  Everything was appropriately exaggerated, the ABC robot looked -awesome-, as did the Angel family.  It gelled with my memories.

OK, they tried to do too much in the movie, it was a bit heavy on the comedy, and they committed the cardinal sin of taking Dredd's helmet off BUT, I still prefer it over Urban's version.  The latter might be truer to the essentials of Dredd, but it didn't feel like a comic book movie to me.  It was just another over-violent gore flick.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18516 on: July 04, 2015, 08:37:17 AM »
Well, bear in mind that I haven't actually -read- the 2000AD comic since the early 80's, and I wasn't an avid reader, so I'm basing my opinion on my faded memories, but it seems to me that the Stallone version had a far greater comic book feel to it.  Everything was appropriately exaggerated, the ABC robot looked -awesome-, as did the Angel family.  It gelled with my memories.

OK, they tried to do too much in the movie, it was a bit heavy on the comedy, and they committed the cardinal sin of taking Dredd's helmet off BUT, I still prefer it over Urban's version.  The latter might be truer to the essentials of Dredd, but it didn't feel like a comic book movie to me.  It was just another over-violent gore flick.

Violence is something the 2000 AD and Dredd Megazine series has never shied from, though sometimes they take it to a ludicrous extreme.  :)

The Stallone version delved into Dredd's origins and revelations that he and Rico were from a cloning project, which does match up to Dredd's comic origins in that he and his clone brothers are created from Judge Fargo's DNA.  Stallone version also gave us a version of Dredd vs Rico.

However the acting over all from everyone could have been better, Stallone from what I've read pretty much usurped control of the movie and his ego was the main reason the helmet rule was broken as well as the movie becoming more comedic.

Also the movie was going to be NC-17 rated until several edits and revisions brought it down to PG-13 after they attempted to make an R rated version.

Recent interviews with Stallone have him admitting they tried to do much with that movie. The Director has stated that he and Stallone clashed many times during production.

All interviews with John Wagner make it clear he feels they tried to do too much and that it wasn't Judge Dredd but a sci fi flick with Dredd elements pasted into it.  Conversely Wagner did praise the 2012 movie and had his cameo in it, (during the chase at the beginning when Dredd goes by two citizens and one of them turns to watch the chase)

Karl Urban captured the character very well I thought. Granted it isn't always easy to act or convey some emotions when one's face is mostly concealed, on other hand Dredd isn't exactly the most open of characters in terms of emotion. 

The fact that the 2012 version did not touch upon Dredd's origins was a bit of a surprise. It was simply a "day in the life of Judge Dredd". he's called in to assess Anderson and they end up taking down a crime cartel and Anderson gains some valuable experience and insight in how to be a Judge.  Also Dredd was impressed with her which isn't an easy thing to achieve.

Another movie should mention Dredd's origins as a clone of Fargo and bring in Judge Death and end with setting the stage for the other Dark Judges to arrive.
In fearful COH-less days

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18517 on: July 04, 2015, 08:53:30 AM »
The latter might be truer to the essentials of Dredd, but it didn't feel like a comic book movie to me.

The Stallone Dredd did feel more like a generic comic book adaptation, but Judge Dredd (2000 AD) itself was not a typical comic book.  It had a grittiness to it that was altogether different from its contemporaries, at least initially.  And it had its violent moments as well.  It didn't quite celebrate them (usually) as Dredd did, but that's a stylistic choice.  In some ways, Dredd is the downer version of Fury Road, which also revels in violence but in a more joyously lunatic way.

Even the comic book itself, in terms of its visual style, evolved over time (as I recall, it was originally black and white).  So its impossible to attempt to capture its "comic book roots" without specifying which roots.

Plus:

Indeed.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18518 on: July 04, 2015, 08:55:21 AM »
The fact that the 2012 version did not touch upon Dredd's origins was a bit of a surprise. It was simply a "day in the life of Judge Dredd".

The fact that its basically a remake of "The Raid" with Judge Dredd might have something to do with it.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #18519 on: July 04, 2015, 08:58:02 AM »
I'm going to toss my 2 cents in and say... I liked the new Dredd movie. It was fun.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com