Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7298569 times)

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #17260 on: May 23, 2015, 03:10:43 PM »
It's pretty apparent that the wait for some positive news on the resurrection of our beloved game, is starting to wear hard on us.  I feel the same level of frustration, and my first posts here were pretty much my venting about the whole "pissing on my leg, and calling it rain" feeling I got from what little we do know about NCSoft's attitude regarding this transaction.  That having been said, we really need to be supporting each other at this point, rather that having a go at each other.  We are all of us in the same boat, pretty much feeling the same way about what is going on.  Falling into rancor over things that cannot be confirmed, or even denied officially will do nothing except fracture this community.

We have held it together this long...let's stick together and see it through to the end.  Shall we?
What was no more, is now reborn!

Mindscythe

• Lieutenant
  • "Any world is what you make of it."
    • SoR Radio
« Reply #17261 on: May 23, 2015, 03:47:09 PM »
It's pretty apparent that the wait for some positive news on the resurrection of our beloved game, is starting to wear hard on us.  I feel the same level of frustration, and my first posts here were pretty much my venting about the whole "pissing on my leg, and calling it rain" feeling I got from what little we do know about NCSoft's attitude regarding this transaction.  That having been said, we really need to be supporting each other at this point, rather that having a go at each other.  We are all of us in the same boat, pretty much feeling the same way about what is going on.  Falling into rancor over things that cannot be confirmed, or even denied officially will do nothing except fracture this community.

We have held it together this long...let's stick together and see it through to the end.  Shall we?

Well said, very well said. I know it's hard... I keep seeing things that make me think "Oh yeah, I should log on and do that!" and then I realize; what I was thinking of was in CoH. Then the sadness and frustration well back up for a bit and then fade once again into the dull rumble of the background noise in my brain. I'm still hopeful, just tired.
"Radio... Radio... RADIO FREE OPPORTUNITY!"

http://www.profj.org/theradiospeaks/

Snickerdoodle1429

• Underling
« Reply #17262 on: May 23, 2015, 04:41:47 PM »
Well said, very well said. I know it's hard... I keep seeing things that make me think "Oh yeah, I should log on and do that!" and then I realize; what I was thinking of was in CoH. Then the sadness and frustration well back up for a bit and then fade once again into the dull rumble of the background noise in my brain. I'm still hopeful, just tired.
Exactly, let us not go after each other due to the frustrations of our missing CoX! Save those frustrations to take out on the baddies once our city is up and running!

Dr. Bad Guy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17263 on: May 23, 2015, 06:38:11 PM »
Why would Hitler's clone leave Rio to live at the center of the earth?
Because that's where the intelligent dinosaurs live. Duh.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #17264 on: May 23, 2015, 06:45:28 PM »
Okay, I sort of feel a little better because, after a quick Google search, I see that it is NOT NCSoft launching Lineage 2 Classic, but Innova Co., who bought the rights to and distributes/runs Lineage 2 in EU.

Say what? NCsoft sold rights to an old IP? I need to go outside and look for flying pigs.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17265 on: May 23, 2015, 06:56:40 PM »
Say what? NCsoft sold rights to an old IP? I need to go outside and look for flying pigs.
With enough thrust, pigs fly just fine.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Optimus Dex

• Boss
« Reply #17266 on: May 23, 2015, 08:28:03 PM »
Okay, I sort of feel a little better because, after a quick Google search, I see that it is NOT NCSoft launching Lineage 2 Classic, but Innova Co., who bought the rights to and distributes/runs Lineage 2 in EU.

Here is a link:  https://4gameforum.com/threads/lineage-2-classic-europe-what-is-next.26645/

Apparently, Innova is only making a EU classic Lineage 2 server (I'm not sure yet as the project has only just begun if certain countries outside EU will be region blocked or not) because they only run Lineage 2 in EU.  NCSoft unfortunately still owns the rights to their own games in NA and Asia and they are doing exactly nothing for their own customers.  Pffft.

I know GameForge runs some of NCSoft's other games in EU, like Aion (and oh boy do people over there hate GameForge but that's another story!).   Why Innova was able to snag the rights to Lineage 2 I don't know, but I think their customers got the best end of the deal compared to the GameForge and NCWest victims gamers.

Intresting- I wonder how long it took Innova to work this deal ?

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #17267 on: May 23, 2015, 08:32:43 PM »

Intresting- I wonder how long it took Innova to work this deal ?

Maybe someone should phone them up and ask them how the hell they managed it?

Surelle

« Reply #17268 on: May 23, 2015, 09:37:37 PM »

ProSebien paid 7 million to SOE/Daybreak Studios for the rights to publish EQ2 in EU for a time too.  That kind of stuff goes on in Europe all the time.  What with the currency/law differences it's easier to get local EU publishers to run NA/Asian games in EU.  Apparently Innova won the deal to publish Lineage 2 in EU instead of the usual clusterfluff company GameForge.  Lineage 2 is still up and running, even here in NA, it's just run here by NCWest like Aion NA is (complete with tons of gold farmers, botters and lag, but I digress).

The infamous GameForge is currently publishing Aion EU and Tera EU and mucking them up even worse than NC does (charging for every little thing, even using the mail/broker, and having terrible customer service etc.) so that all the EU players have migrated to the NA servers for both games, as per usual with GameForge.

As a matter of fact, Tera is a Korean game (Bluehole Studios are the developers).  En Masse runs Tera NA and does a great job with the community and game itself (great events, etc.). 

Do you think World of Warcraft is published by Activision in Asia?  Nope, there are local Chinese/Korean/etc. publishers who handle  NA games in China, Korea, etc.

It's just that this Innova takes less heat than the rest for the job they're doing with Lineage 2:  You don't see pitchforks and torches whenever any EU mentions their name.  And the Lineage 2 classic server idea was theirs of course, as was the mandate for only 15,000 signatures on a petition so that work could begin on it.  Those EU Lineage 2 players are so lucky!

I would think that Innova paid a big lump sum for the right to publish Lineage 2 EU, and their contract could be terminated by NCSoft if they don't meet X requirements (whatever those may be).  I would also think that NCSoft still ultimately owns the IPs, code, etc.

These "other country" publishers usually run a server snapshot (much like CoX i23 would be) with no means or permission to alter any code or change the game in any way.  All patches and updates must come from the mother country's devs (Korea's Bluehole Studios for Tera, NCSoft Korea for Aion and Lineage 2, etc.), and these updates and patches are usually significantly behind in their launch date from the home country's version of the game.  The "other country" publishers usually handle language translations/localization, which slows things down a bit.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 09:58:10 PM by Surelle »

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #17269 on: May 24, 2015, 01:27:28 AM »
ProSebien paid 7 million to SOE/Daybreak Studios for the rights to publish EQ2 in EU for a time too.  That kind of stuff goes on in Europe all the time.  What with the currency/law differences it's easier to get local EU publishers to run NA/Asian games in EU.  Apparently Innova won the deal to publish Lineage 2 in EU instead of the usual clusterfluff company GameForge.  Lineage 2 is still up and running, even here in NA, it's just run here by NCWest like Aion NA is (complete with tons of gold farmers, botters and lag, but I digress).

The infamous GameForge is currently publishing Aion EU and Tera EU and mucking them up even worse than NC does (charging for every little thing, even using the mail/broker, and having terrible customer service etc.) so that all the EU players have migrated to the NA servers for both games, as per usual with GameForge.

As a matter of fact, Tera is a Korean game (Bluehole Studios are the developers).  En Masse runs Tera NA and does a great job with the community and game itself (great events, etc.). 

Do you think World of Warcraft is published by Activision in Asia?  Nope, there are local Chinese/Korean/etc. publishers who handle  NA games in China, Korea, etc.

It's just that this Innova takes less heat than the rest for the job they're doing with Lineage 2:  You don't see pitchforks and torches whenever any EU mentions their name.  And the Lineage 2 classic server idea was theirs of course, as was the mandate for only 15,000 signatures on a petition so that work could begin on it.  Those EU Lineage 2 players are so lucky!

I would think that Innova paid a big lump sum for the right to publish Lineage 2 EU, and their contract could be terminated by NCSoft if they don't meet X requirements (whatever those may be).  I would also think that NCSoft still ultimately owns the IPs, code, etc.

These "other country" publishers usually run a server snapshot (much like CoX i23 would be) with no means or permission to alter any code or change the game in any way.  All patches and updates must come from the mother country's devs (Korea's Bluehole Studios for Tera, NCSoft Korea for Aion and Lineage 2, etc.), and these updates and patches are usually significantly behind in their launch date from the home country's version of the game.  The "other country" publishers usually handle language translations/localization, which slows things down a bit.

Hmmmm. Does this mean the failed City of Hero from overseas could be on the table? Someone, somewhere have that disc image?
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17270 on: May 24, 2015, 01:48:07 AM »

Yeah how bad could another decade be.

Surelle

« Reply #17271 on: May 24, 2015, 02:39:38 AM »
Hmmmm. Does this mean the failed City of Hero from overseas could be on the table? Someone, somewhere have that disc image?

Didn't it actually launch in Korea?  Meaning that NCSoft themselves probably would have run that one....  Plus, it got shut down very early on if I remember right.  Not only would it likely be missing a lot of issues and have much less of a chance of still being in one piece because it was shuttered so many years ago, but it would be in the Korean language to boot.  Better than nothing, but still....Doubtful it exists in any salvageable form by now.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17272 on: May 24, 2015, 03:13:57 AM »

Here is a link:  https://4gameforum.com/threads/lineage-2-classic-europe-what-is-next.26645/

Apparently, Innova is only making a EU classic Lineage 2 server (I'm not sure yet as the project has only just begun if certain countries outside EU will be region blocked or not) because they only run Lineage 2 in EU.  NCSoft unfortunately still owns the rights to their own games in NA and Asia and they are doing exactly nothing for their own customers.  Pffft.

I know GameForge runs some of NCSoft's other games in EU, like Aion (and oh boy do people over there hate GameForge but that's another story!).   Why Innova was able to snag the rights to Lineage 2 I don't know, but I think their customers got the best end of the deal compared to the GameForge and NCWest victims gamers.

You have to ask - did our efforts to restore CoH open the doors to OTHER games being sold/leased?

Once the team said hey we will give you money to run that old game - maybe the light went on in NCSoft HQ and they said money for nothing and chicks for free!

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17273 on: May 24, 2015, 03:14:58 AM »
If only there was a security breach a few months before shut down and someone snagged the source possibly removing the liability from the developers seeing as it was NCsofts security at fault... I wonder if anyone ever did actually break in at -any- point.

Given the way some programmers get paranoid about their code, I would be surprised if there wasn't an offsite backup copy of the client/server source and the data files that didn't appear in the 'official' records. That said, I'd be really surprised if any of the Paragon Studios staff ever admitted to having such an archive.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17274 on: May 24, 2015, 03:17:53 AM »

Once the team said hey we will give you money to run that old game - maybe the light went on in NCSoft HQ and they said money for nothing and chicks for free!

I hope not, they're supposed to install my microwave next week.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17275 on: May 24, 2015, 03:18:08 AM »
Another thing if I were a dev who had some server code and I wanted to release it - I would inform NCSoft I had some things stolen when I recently moved house and the code was one of those things and so when it appears on Pirate Bay ...........................

kiario

• Boss
  • CoH Fanboy
« Reply #17276 on: May 24, 2015, 05:50:08 AM »
We won with Heroes  :) :) :)

Snickerdoodle1429

• Underling
« Reply #17277 on: May 24, 2015, 07:53:11 AM »
We won with Heroes  :) :) :)
Random troll?

alphajaybo

• Lieutenant
  • The one The only Alpha Protocol V2.9
« Reply #17278 on: May 24, 2015, 09:28:52 AM »
Random troll?

It could be to do with Eurovision, Sweden did win with a song called heroes :)
Daoc CoH and WoW

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #17279 on: May 24, 2015, 09:56:27 AM »
You have to ask - did our efforts to restore CoH open the doors to OTHER games being sold/leased?

IF that were the case, then surely we'd be a lot further along that we currently are, and would have the damn game by now?