Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7294760 times)

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #16060 on: March 26, 2015, 06:16:28 PM »
The break point is when people start verbally abusing others for not playing the "right way."

Please examine your last paragraph from the point of view of even a mild min-maxer.  I am very sorry your friend had such an awful experience, and it wasn't right.

That said, I did fire farms, speed TFs, and played the wentworth stock market.  It made the game fun for me.  And the worst I ever said to a RP/standard gamer who "wasn't keeping up" was ask if he/she wanted help with the toon's build or if he/she was having fun with the group.

There was more than one "right way" to play COH.  That's what made it great.
I agree with your first and second sentences, I have encountered this in City of. from someone I thought was my friend. He took it on himself to tell the group we were running with that I needed a respect. I was running a kat/regen at that time and I was having fun, however, to him I was not playing my character the "wrong way". After he did that our mutual friend asked me do I want to run a respec trial I said no, but not to offend the other person we ran it. However, at the end of the trial I chose the so out of spite.
In the secret world I have encountered this as well, I tell everyone that I am playing "wrong" is that I am playing my way and I am having fun.
For farms I was not too keen on them, never ran them myself. If someone was having fun farming, I did not  tell they were playing wrong. I just told them usually good luck.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Brighellac

• Minion
« Reply #16061 on: March 26, 2015, 06:20:59 PM »
I agree with your first and second sentences, I have encountered this in City of. from someone I thought was my friend. He took it on himself to tell the group we were running with that I needed a respect. I was running a kat/regen at that time and I was having fun, however, to him I was not playing my character the "wrong way". After he did that our mutual friend asked me do I want to run a respec trial I said no, but not to offend the other person we ran it. However, at the end of the trial I chose the so out of spite.
In the secret world I have encountered this as well, I tell everyone that I am playing "wrong" is that I am playing my way and I am having fun.
For farms I was not too keen on them, never ran them myself. If someone was having fun farming, I did not  tell they were playing wrong. I just told them usually good luck.

Perfectly reasonable.  I look forward to playing with you when I'm in goof around mode when/if the game comes back.  Or in one of the successor projects

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #16062 on: March 26, 2015, 06:25:29 PM »
I tried my best to get her to petition the people cursing at her, but being Belle, she wouldn't do it, and I knew that the GMs didn't respond to petitions sent on behalf of someone else, so they basically got away with it scot free.  But it really pissed me off because again, that was the kind of thing that probably would have caused a relatively new player to abandon the game and move on to something else.

Your friend Belle sounds like just the sort of person I enjoyed to team with.  I couldn't be doing with all that bloody speed run BS, and min/maxing garbage. I played for the STORY, and if that story let me get my RP on, even better!

I'm sad that she had such a shitty experience thanks to a group of douchebags. :(

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #16063 on: March 26, 2015, 06:29:58 PM »
Perfectly reasonable.  I look forward to playing with you when I'm in goof around mode when/if the game comes back.  Or in one of the successor projects
Looking forward to teaming :). My play style is more scrapperlock and Leeroy Jenkins :D. I love having fun with my team mates and friends :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16064 on: March 26, 2015, 06:56:17 PM »
Arguably the most pronounced affect was on the market.  Things that were deemed "desirable" cost billions of influence, more than a non-farmer could ever hope to earn unless they were extraordinarily lucky and happened to get a desirable drop that they could sell.  Unfortunately, that was extremely rare.

A couple of points.  First, its true that without farming you wouldn't have seen the same amount of multi-billion inf purchases on the markets.  But that doesn't mean all would be peachy for the non-farmers: they would have just been disadvantaged by a completely separate group of players: the extremely long-term high volume players.  When Issue 9 released, I had about 480 million inf on my main alone.  That's literally a zero-farming influence base, and what's more I gave a lot of inf away because back then I had nothing to spend it on.  There's literally no way more casual non-farmers would have had any shot at the expensive stuff, its just that instead of being outbid by billions, they would have just been outbid by tens of millions by players like me who simply accumulated influence at a vastly higher rate through sheer gameplay.

Second, even if they got lucky and got purple drops, they *still* wouldn't gain a significant advantage over me because they wouldn't get billions for that drop.   Remember without farming you wouldn't have the same amount of influence sloshing around: when you lower the price of items to make them cheaper to buy, you automatically make them less profitable to sell.  That's automatic.  So that lucky purple drop would only help about the same amount it actually did anyway.

Its important to realize that it doesn't matter by how much you get outbid, only if you get outbid.  If things are selling for 500 million inf and you only have five, you're not going to get it.  But if the prices dropped down to 25 million, you're still not going to get it.  And if the prices come down because you nullify the strategies for earning high amounts of influence, then that 25 million gets a lot farther away because you won't get there by selling.

When we're talking about "billions" of inf, the only things that ever cost that amount really were the PvP mitigation IOs, and casual non-farmers were never going to get them unless a friend gave them one, period.  No change to the economy short of selling them like inspirations was going to change that because they were simply too rare and too valuable: only those who farmed them and those with the highest buying power - no matter what that was - would be able to get them.  Most of the rest of the purples were in the tens of millions to hundreds of millions of inf and that's where eliminating farming would lower the amount of influence chasing items, lowering their costs.  But that would also mean players who did get lucky drops would have been getting less influence for them, not only reducing their ability to bid for those high end items commensurately but also reducing their ability to bid for anything at all.

As it was, the imperfect system we had did create a huge gap between the haves and the have-nots, but it also made the have-nots able to be have-mosts.  They couldn't buy the absolute best stuff, but they were never going to be able to.  They were, however, able to buy pretty good stuff because so much of the drops they did get sold for far higher prices than you'd otherwise expect.  This made SOs instantly go from difficult to get to trivial to get.  It eliminated the problem of common IO pricing, which you might remember was a significant theoretical problem in I9 beta.  And it meant that a large amount of set IOs which were deemed "not worth it" by the power players became easy to get for everyone else, meaning set IOs became open to everyone and not just the rich - many set IOs were even cheaper than common IOs and were yet more powerful.

I believe that the system as a whole was a rising tide that lifted all boats.  Sure, some players were cruising in mega-yachts with helicopter pads and others were just in that boat from Jaws, but the sheer mass of stuff raining down on players, even the most casual ones, was part of what made CoH's power levels so inviting to newer players.  Compared to the richest players, they were ants.  But compared to the standard content, they were giants.  That's not an experience you can get in any other comparable MMO, and I'm not sure you can be certain that eliminating farming in its entirety wouldn't have had unintended consequences that were bad for the very people it disadvantaged.  What we all know for certain is what the power available to casuals was like in I8 before the invention system and the markets, and what it was like in I10 after the markets had become firmly established, and it was night and day.  Some of that was the actual creation of the  inventions themselves.  But a lot of it was due to the ability for players to participate in that system, because it wasn't monopolized by the very rich.  The very highest levels of it were (things like Numinas at first, purple offense later), but not the vast majority of it.

In the same way the devs themselves didn't set out to make the game we eventually got, and much of what we eventually came to love was a happy accident, I'm not saying the farmers set out to help the world with their farming.  But I believe there was an unintended consequence of the high levels of influence sloshing around and that was that it didn't just trickle, but poured down on players through selling almost anything on the markets.  At one time, a million inf was a lot of money.  After I9, even a casual player could get that in a day or two if they participated in the markets.  And I think a large part of that was the fact there was just so much influence chasing stuff in the invention system.  Much of that came from farming.

For all of its bad influences on the game and its player culture, I believe its one good side effect might have been a really big one, and almost a definitive one for the game.  The devs made their first huge "mistake" in creating a system where players could amass ridiculous amounts of power in theory - what any other MMO team would consider game breaking.  The invention system, the markets, and the huge amounts of influence the devs allowed players to earn indirectly unlocked a lot of that power for the masses.  What we think of when we think of the casual-friendly nature of CoH comes in large part from the game post-I9, when we were no longer chasing power 10 SOs and even the player that joined last week could ask how he could soft-cap his invuln scrapper and there was a way to get most of the way there with just a few weeks work.  In a hypothetical game in which farming is somehow eliminated, I'm not convinced that would have still happened to anywhere near the same degree.

None of this excuses poor conduct on the part of farmers or anyone else.  Its just my take on the macro-economic large scale effects of farming on the game as a whole.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #16065 on: March 26, 2015, 07:00:19 PM »
Your friend Belle sounds like just the sort of person I enjoyed to team with.  I couldn't be doing with all that bloody speed run BS, and min/maxing garbage. I played for the STORY, and if that story let me get my RP on, even better!

I'm sad that she had such a pancakey experience thanks to a group of douchebags. :(

I don't do speed runs either and enjoy TF's even if I've played them. You are always welcome on my non speed run TF's or even just plain old content. (I love the faultline arc)
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #16066 on: March 26, 2015, 07:19:02 PM »
I don't do speed runs either and enjoy TF's even if I've played them. You are always welcome on my non speed run TF's or even just plain old content. (I love the faultline arc)

If you can put up with a mildly psychotic Peacebringer with scrapperlock tendencies... sure! :p

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16067 on: March 26, 2015, 07:24:54 PM »
Indeed.  I farmed periodically, and paid a farmer I knew personally in RL on occasion for assorted bits of cool stuff or INF, but I'm appalled that anyone would treat Tony's friend like that.  Not only did they misrepresent the TF run to her, they were [BLEEP]s to her as well.

Tony - you were right, she should have reported them.

I remember belle, and treating her that way just wasnt right.   as for prices, the only thing that cost "billions" were pvp IO's, and no one actually needed those.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16068 on: March 26, 2015, 07:31:18 PM »
I used to do Speed runs, non-speed runs, kill every living things runs and specialty runs where we all are the same AT.

You announce what you are doing to the team. If you then choose to stay - its on you. Once Belle saw it was a speed run after the first mission - I would have left. I would not apologize or make a fuss - just quit. They lied to her for some reason - that deserves no loyalty.

On the kill every living thing runs we would usually pair up and go to town so you had 4 teams clearing the bigger maps. I was instantly kicked once for playing a dark/dark/dark defender - the leader said I want heals. The main point is there are always going to be idiots in charge of some teams - don't let that detract from the fun you can have. I played for fun, period. If what we were doing stopped being fun I would say folks, this is no longer fun - have a good day and I hope things get better for you and move on.

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16069 on: March 26, 2015, 07:33:59 PM »
I remember when my wife and I started back around I6. we were in atlas park and someone stopped and opened a trade window with us and gave us 20k each. it was amazing. I made a point of looking for new players and giving them some starting cash when I had my millions. it felt good helping new people.

I remember taxibot belle shuttling people all over. you would see her at hami raids and all around.

we may have had farmers but we didnt have dailies....we won on the trade off.

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16070 on: March 26, 2015, 07:39:44 PM »
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 08:00:23 PM by MM3squints »

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16071 on: March 26, 2015, 07:47:37 PM »
I remember when my wife and I started back around I6. we were in atlas park and someone stopped and opened a trade window with us and gave us 20k each. it was amazing. I made a point of looking for new players and giving them some starting cash when I had my millions. it felt good helping new people.

Agreed. I enjoyed hanging around Atlas Park (on Protector or Pinnacle), gifting to newbies. Some would refuse to take it, though; I had heard of people, in other games, offering a gift and ending up ripping off the target or just not going through with the gift, so I figured they must have been burned that way elsewhere. Sad, really.

I remember taxibot belle shuttling people all over. you would see her at hami raids and all around.

I used to do that in The Hollows, before travel powers became available at level 6 (or was it 4?). Standing by the cop contact at the Atlas Park doorway, and offering to teleport folks back to that area (again, on Protector or Pinnacle). Occasionally, I also went to Steel Canyon, and offered teleport for lowbies to the tailor shop, and back to the yellow-line station (I think it was yellow line - the one at the south end). I just like helping.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 08:30:31 PM by Super Firebug »
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16072 on: March 26, 2015, 08:03:40 PM »
Of course, part of this is partly because I come from a background of pencil-and-paper roleplaying.  Yeah, it was cool to find a +3 Sword of Whatever, but you rarely had such blatant min-maxxing going on, and when it was encountered, it was strongly frowned upon; many a DM I knew would take great pain to specifically pick on your character if you were what we referred to as a "roll player"--that is, a player who cared more about the dice than the story and characters.

The thing about an MMORPG, the thing that is supposed to separate the genre from others such as RTSes, FPSes, etc., is that it's supposed to bring that sort of philosophy to the gaming world, that it's not so much about "winning" as it is to put yourself into the role of the sorcerer, or the steampunk pirate, or the spandex-clad invulnerable behemoth.  At its best, City of Heroes was very good at that, and AE had the potential to really push that idea to a new extreme.  At its worst, though, it was just another grindfest, and to me, the farmers, power-levelers, and min-maxxers were directly responsible.

I'm not sure it was ever supposed to be true that MMORPGs were intended to be different in that specific way, but what I do know is that the Massively in MMO is what makes that impossible, and we've known that for a long time.  There's no such thing as a MMPnP game, and if there were it would suffer the same problem.  In a PnP game, its peer pressure that enforces the culture of gaming, not the game rules and not even the GM.  In other words, there's nothing about *the game* that creates good game experiences, its the collective intent of the players.  And that works on small scales.  But it doesn't work on large scales, because peer pressure disintegrates when the peers don't all know each other and rely directly on each other.

MMORPGs often contain dna from PnP games, but I think its an error to think they are actually related in any way but superficially.  For a variety of reasons, the game play isn't and can't be the same, the power systems can't really be the same, the balance rules can't be the same.  And in this case, I think the cultural infrastructure also can't be the same.  I think City of Heroes was better than most, maybe than all in terms of its own playerbase policing itself.  But I don't think anyone has yet cracked the nut of how to take the cultural controls intrinsic in small-scale roleplay and scale them up to an MMO.  Many have tried, but I don't think I would consider any of those attempts to be genuine successes.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16073 on: March 26, 2015, 08:14:47 PM »
Because much to the contrary of what farmers claimed, it does affect the game outside of just what they're doing.

Arguably the most pronounced affect was on the market.  Things that were deemed "desirable" cost billions of influence, more than a non-farmer could ever hope to earn unless they were extraordinarily lucky and happened to get a desirable drop that they could sell.  Unfortunately, that was extremely rare.  I would sometimes go weeks without getting a single purple drop, for example, and then when I did, I'd get something that was generally considered junk, worthless on the market.  There were a few IOs that eventually I just resigned myself to never possessing because I didn't farm.

This is especially brutal to new players, which the game desperately needed to survive.  When you come into the game and a bunch of people are all purpled-out to the point where it seems hopeless that you'll ever meaningfully contribute to a team, it doesn't take long before you leave the game.

Related to that affect is the affect on the tone of the player base.  One anecdote in particular sticks with me.  My roommate Belle used to play for hours at a time helping people out, and she detested farming.  Once, she joined a team advertising for a task force, but before she did, she specifically asked if it were a "speed run" team, and the leader told her no, it was just a normal run.  So she joined, and the team proceeded to speed run the task force.  I was sitting there watching her as they blew through mission after mission, taking every shortcut they could, even doing things like deliberately failing missions just to get to the next mission faster.  They would finish some missions before she could even get inside the instance.  Finally, she nicely told them that she didn't know this was going to be a speed run, apologized, and left the team.

I was already annoyed that this is what had become the de facto standard of what was considered a "normal" run.  But what came next utterly disgusted me.  Some of the people on the team started sending her private /tells cursing her out for leaving the team before they fought whatever big baddie was at the end of the task force.  Being a kinetics defender, they were expecting her to be around at the end so that she could use Fulcrum Shift and whatnot to buff the team and debuff the enemies.  When she left the team, that meant that they were going to have to fight in the final battle for five minutes instead of the two or three they were expecting.  Thus, for the next 15 minutes or so, she received a slew of insults and accusations of griefing the team by leaving.

I tried my best to get her to petition the people cursing at her, but being Belle, she wouldn't do it, and I knew that the GMs didn't respond to petitions sent on behalf of someone else, so they basically got away with it scot free.  But it really pissed me off because again, that was the kind of thing that probably would have caused a relatively new player to abandon the game and move on to something else.

Then, of course, there's AE.  At the time, no mainstream games that I knew of had such a feature that allowed user-generated content in the game.  Being a roleplayer, and being someone who had all sorts of cool ideas for missions and storylines, I was super stoked about the thing.  But after creating a few stories and getting one-starred because it wasn't farmable enough or because someone objected to a mission because it didn't give enough experience, and after looking at the arc list and pretty consistently seeing stupid farming arcs ranked at the top of the list, I was done with it.  A feature that I thought had the real potential to be revolutionary and really set CoH apart from every other grindfest became THE grindfest that I abhorred.

Look, I know that some amount of farming will always happen.  Players will always want to reach that next level, get that next new shiny, and knock out a mission or two specifically to get there.  That's not what I'm complaining about.  I don't even mind if every once in a while I see someone broadcast that they're looking for a team to just do a quick ITF or whatever.  But when speed runs and farming become the norm and people start getting upset at people who aren't playing the "right" way, when I see one of the nicest people I know on the verge of tears because she left a team and had the audacity to negatively affect their precious XP/sec stat, when I basically give up on the market because it's just a cesspool of junk and items that are hopelessly expensive, yeah, I take a dim view of farming.

Of course, part of this is partly because I come from a background of pencil-and-paper roleplaying.  Yeah, it was cool to find a +3 Sword of Whatever, but you rarely had such blatant min-maxxing going on, and when it was encountered, it was strongly frowned upon; many a DM I knew would take great pain to specifically pick on your character if you were what we referred to as a "roll player"--that is, a player who cared more about the dice than the story and characters.

The thing about an MMORPG, the thing that is supposed to separate the genre from others such as RTSes, FPSes, etc., is that it's supposed to bring that sort of philosophy to the gaming world, that it's not so much about "winning" as it is to put yourself into the role of the sorcerer, or the steampunk pirate, or the spandex-clad invulnerable behemoth.  At its best, City of Heroes was very good at that, and AE had the potential to really push that idea to a new extreme.  At its worst, though, it was just another grindfest, and to me, the farmers, power-levelers, and min-maxxers were directly responsible.

That is a shame that Belle went through such an experience, I always liked running with her.

Last time an idiot cussed me out for leaving their team because of their attitude, they found out the hard way that I was running some video recording software as a test to make some CoH vids.   

Didn't see that person again for 3 weeks......can't imagine why ;)
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Reaper

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16074 on: March 26, 2015, 08:19:14 PM »
Patiently lurking from the shadows...

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #16075 on: March 26, 2015, 10:20:53 PM »
Actually it's 10 types of people - those who can do binary math and those who can't.  ;)
And those who weren't expecting a trinary joke.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #16076 on: March 26, 2015, 10:42:02 PM »
I can only come to the conclusion that you don't know who Arcana is.  She's not just "someone," she's Arcana.  She worked closely with the CoH devs for years and many times pointed out errors on their part and aided in fixing them.

Yes I know the name, she's another forum dweller. Someone that excels at having the ear of the developer doesn't make them automatically right about everything sort like everyone's favorite forum dweller "GoldenGirl" that being the next person that comes to my mind. I still look forward to heroes and villains regardless.

Worked with them in what way? Open beta and closed beta testing? Something more than that? How do you really know? I'm sure this will be taken badly but CoX has had it's fair share of forum gods that are able to convince you of anything. Really good writers and practiced at debating anyone can look like they know more than they really do. It's the internet after all

Seriously, there was even an official flow chart from the CoH devs some years back about questions and complaints.  One of the steps/questions on it was "Are you Arcana?  Yes/No."  If yes, well then you already know the answer to that question.  Anybody have a copy of that chart that they could post here?
Favoritism is bad and often puts someone's word higher than it actually should be. But you probably know that.

So you are saying that we should take your completely evidence free experience over quantifiable data? Arcana's statements have proven true in the past and she had access to data that we did not. You only have anecdotal evidence and that is only proof of your experiences and nothing else. I call BS on people using anecdotal evidence as proof of anything other than their own experiences.

Still haven't seen this quantifiable data... Oh you must be talking about those numbers at the end of anniversary events. Well like I said before active accounts versus inactive or multibox accounts. Unique players are the real numbers. Please explain to me why someone not employed by Paragon would be given access to data other customers cannot see. I played the game (yes I know that's hard to believe) rather than live on the forums or try to dictate to others how they should play.

My experience with COH was that most of the RL people I played with didn't understand set bonuses. Some of them used SO's even after 5 years of game play and some whose idea of min/maxing was to always take hasten. I ran into people in game channels who didn't know how recipes worked and how to use them (or why they should bother). One time I saw a channel tell asking why his enhancements kept getting worse.
The few real life friends I had playing are the same way

Using your theory I should extrapolate that and say that was how the majority of people played the game. That was my personal experience. I knew those people and saw those builds. That must be the way most people played.

The only thing I'm getting out of some of you at this point. Is the voices of farmers, incarnate trialists and min maxers should be less important because by your information they are minority of the player base.

I don't know though perhaps Liberty was server of very unique people. Because there:
*most everyone socialized on various global channels such as: LB, LBx, friends of ouph, robos lounge, liberty badgers and I know I'm forgetting some
*farmers farmed and also did normal content
*We ran speed runs and normal runs of trials and tfs
*Sometimes we did tanker only, kheld only events etc.

The server felt like my virtual family and that hasn't been found elsewhere ever.

Those of you blaiming farmers for the prices of recipes are completely off. I happen to know someone who exploited some serious money bugs early on in the game and it was that person who put autobids in the millions and billions on recipes and crafted enhancements to store for later use. He literally had an endless supply of money. Eventually when Marty was added he and several others were caught and banned. Marty was what they called that new form of xp/inf cheat detection right? I vaguely recall Zwillingers thread talking about how bad exploits were and a new system was implemented to catch exploiters.

You're all free to your opinions as am I. But it really does get old seeing people treated like trash because you don't like the way they play. You guys are never going to find a game where everyone plays the way you think they should.

I guess by now I've ended up on atleast a few ignore lists and I'm sorry but I'm not gonna sit back and listen to this without saying a thing. I love you all but some of you appear to be stepping over bounds now.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 10:50:14 PM by Noyjitat »

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #16077 on: March 26, 2015, 11:00:46 PM »
Yeah well interestingly enough Liberty is my home server as well. I guess that tells you how much anecdotal evidence is worth as proof.

Not everyone socialized on various global channels. If there weren't there you would never see them. Doesn't mean they didn't play.

Bottom line for me is that she has/had access to better information than you did. You may not agree, that's cool. But based on past performance I know how I would bet. Based on my personal experience on the same server I know how I would bet.

You're NOT being a jerk in my opinion, you just have a different opinion. No problem with that. That's the only way you would end up on my block list.

When the game comes back. I'll see you on Liberty and maybe you can give me some tips or at least let me tag along on some of those TF and Trials I never got to do back in the day.

I don't know though perhaps Liberty was server of very unique people. Because there:
*most everyone socialized on various global channels such as: LB, LBx, friends of ouph, robos lounge, liberty badgers and I know I'm forgetting some
*farmers farmed and also did normal content
*We ran speed runs and normal runs of trials and tfs
*Sometimes we did tanker only, kheld only events etc.

The server felt like my virtual family and that hasn't been found elsewhere ever.

AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16078 on: March 27, 2015, 12:53:07 AM »
No one's even mentioned the supply-side benefits of having farmers around. I'd much rather have a purple selling for 400m than no purples selling because everyone only gets a drop now and again and automatically uses or converts it for their own use. Not to mention most of the common salvage on the market for 1 inf was from farmers.

I played a wide variety of ways, some regular farming (mostly because i pimped out every alt), some AE farming (for salvage), some pl'ing of friends' alts (if their alt was a tougher to level build), some soloing of lowbies, some teaming of regular missions, some kill all or kill most TFs, but my main thing was merit whoaring. All the TFs i'd form were advertised as speed, but I can't imagine kicking anyone who wasn't flying through at the pace my crew usually ran. There were plenty of times where we'd advertise speed and e.g. about the 4th mission the mastermind at the door dropping pets and declining our TPs would ask what was up or quit. We were always glad to explain what was going on.

I played on triumph and always found the community there to be very friendly, helpful and open to various playstyles. But I think there was probably more of a difference between the global channel and non-global channel community than between the community on different servers. I had toons on other servers and found that the nightmare teams tended to be broadcast teams and that the teams formed in global channels seemed just as friendly on the large servers as on my small one.

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16079 on: March 27, 2015, 01:19:24 AM »
Yes I know the name, she's another forum dweller. Someone that excels at having the ear of the developer doesn't make them automatically right about everything sort like everyone's favorite forum dweller "GoldenGirl" that being the next person that comes to my mind. I still look forward to heroes and villains regardless.

Worked with them in what way? Open beta and closed beta testing? Something more than that? How do you really know? I'm sure this will be taken badly but CoX has had it's fair share of forum gods that are able to convince you of anything. Really good writers and practiced at debating anyone can look like they know more than they really do. It's the internet after all
Favoritism is bad and often puts someone's word higher than it actually should be. But you probably know that.

Verified by the devs numerous times on the official forums (not all of it, especially post-shutdown of course, but enough to validate any future claims she might make).  I recall seeing one or two posts by devs recounting instances where they were corrected by Arcana and it turned out she was right.  In some instances she actually knew the game better than the devs did.  And the work she did with them?  Behind-the-scenes contract work, which she was unable to reveal for obvious reasons until after the shutdown (or at least after the announcement, I forget).  Which isn't to say she can't ever be wrong, she is human (or so she claims...), but you'd better be damn ready to prove it if you think she is, or you're just as full of bluster as you think she is.

But then, you're so convinced she's a fork-tongued would-be forum god, you're probably not going to be inclined to take my word either (and to be honest you have no reason to, I'm John Q. Nobody), nor anybody else's.  So rest assured, you may remain secure in the knowledge that unlike those foolish deeming masses, you and you alone see what's really behind the curtain!

What's the difference between Arcana and *ahem* other individuals?  Her history isn't solely made up of unsubstantiated (and in many cases, provably wrong) claims.  Her reputation is earned, just as "other individuals" have earned theirs, and to be honest I really can't think of any other "forum gods" who carry anywhere near the same reputation.