Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7293703 times)

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #13960 on: January 06, 2015, 11:53:06 PM »
Even I farmed occasionally, because occasionally it was what sounded fun at the time; and I was the most casual player in my circle of friends. I was (and still am) a pretty hardcore fan, though. I'm still here, after all; I still deal with you lot day in and day out ;)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #13961 on: January 06, 2015, 11:58:07 PM »
:) While myself did not like farming I understood people wanting to.
I didn't farm either, but I occasionally did radio missions over and over at +4/x8; or went to Cimerora and fought the rebel romans on the citadel walls. It was relaxing when I needed that, and modestly profitable. .. wait, I may have farmed a little bit after all.  :o

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13962 on: January 07, 2015, 12:17:02 AM »
It was possible to make an incredible amount of Inf through marketeering -- buying low, reselling high. Mainly because the price data from the market was difficult for people who didn't "study it" to use. IIRC, we could see the prices for the last few sales, but had no idea what the offers and competing bids were. I suspect the market will act very differently with a new player-base's different make-up.

I think it's fair to say that CoH had too few Inf-sinks to have much of a balanced economy. There were a bunch of us just trying to drain the excess off and convert it into dead-money or supergroup prestige, and imo we never perceptibly dented it.

While it was true there wasn't very many inf-sinks in city of heroes, you also have to remember that many of the AE exploits when it was first released allowed players to earn hundreds of millions to even billions of influence in only an hour or so of play, sometimes even MINUTES.  So already before the bugs were fixed you saw a gigantic price shock.  Then as people continued to exploit it for raw influence and tickets for orange recipes, while you'd see orange recipes having a more stable price range, the same could not be said of the dwindling supply of purple recipes due to players farming AE for short term gains.

AE did a lot of damage to the games economy ultimately.  There isn't really any denying that.  Purple recipes used to cost 20-50 million influence at one time, but after AE, they shot up to 250-500 million.  Thats hyper inflation.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13963 on: January 07, 2015, 12:20:02 AM »
I'm going to say this again, and I have said it before in THIS thread if I recall, that it's the recipes that will matter for the game economy, not raw influence amounts.  A farm that gains all influence but no recipes or anything else will ultimately hurt the economy and devalue influence as more influence goes into the economy but it's not tied to anything, devaluing influence.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #13964 on: January 07, 2015, 12:30:57 AM »
By i23, there were a lot of ways to get recipes for higher-end IO's that didn't involve classic farming and lots of inf creation. Perhaps the people eager to quickly outfit in those IOs will do those activities instead of farming.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13965 on: January 07, 2015, 12:42:49 AM »
By i23, there were a lot of ways to get recipes for higher-end IO's that didn't involve classic farming and lots of inf creation. Perhaps the people eager to quickly outfit in those IOs will do those activities instead of farming.

I'm aware of going for merits like crazy :).  It's generally what I did.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #13966 on: January 07, 2015, 01:25:32 AM »
quite a lot of the very best recipes could be bought for 2 hero merits each :D this is how I ran most of my scrappers and brutes, they earned so much that I was able to bankroll and outfit my other characters :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #13967 on: January 07, 2015, 01:28:36 AM »
You're assuming hardcore fans aren't farmers.

I've been accused of being a hardcore fan, and that's likely to be true.

I farmed quite a lot. Mainly because I enjoyed it.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13968 on: January 07, 2015, 03:05:27 AM »

I used to go to Ouro and solo the old Positron TF - tons of merits for little work if you have a specific character built for the -20 world. I could solo it in less than 45 minutes.

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #13969 on: January 07, 2015, 03:28:14 AM »
I used to farm for AE tickets quite a bit with my SS/Fire Brute, mainly for two reasons:

- only way I could consistently get income and/or recipes to outfit my alts.

- I enjoyed it.  I had one really cool farm with dozens of enemy mobs I had designed, fun as heck.

Purple farming was out of the question, since I only received a handful in all the years I played.  They made them way too rare.
And no way I'm going to spend hours playing the market, just not my idea of fun.

--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13970 on: January 07, 2015, 03:29:22 AM »
I used to go to Ouro and solo the old Positron TF - tons of merits for little work if you have a specific character built for the -20 world. I could solo it in less than 45 minutes.

A solo option should be installed for all the TF/SF's 
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13971 on: January 07, 2015, 04:07:41 AM »

I was worse. I'd get a friend and start two posi tfs with alts. We'd each solo it x2 and then duo the last mish of both. Was much more lucrative to do that before it went to ouro (134 merits in 1:15 or so) but was still nice. Did it with synapse quite often too, usually more to get tf commander for lowbie alts than for merits though as it was considerably more painful with all the kill-alls. I suppose that's technically exploitative but hey, I had a majillion alts to outfit.

My plan when it comes back is make a few alts to level by doing daily h/v merits and tfs and to blast a brute to 50, probably a clawls/fire since they can be effective on SOs, so i'll have something to purple farm with and run AE with for salvage. My concern is I don't remember on my very first toon having enough money to DO and SO out most things until I got a decent sellable recipe drop. Going to be rough for a while, especially if we don't have any vet power access.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #13972 on: January 07, 2015, 04:59:58 AM »

Purple farming was out of the question, since I only received a handful in all the years I played.  They made them way too rare.
And no way I'm going to spend hours playing the market, just not my idea of fun.

When the game comes back just burn inf on the cheapest purple recipe being sold on the market and use enhancement converters to get what you want. I assume we'll be able to buy enhancement converts again and everything on whatever form of cash shop we have.

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #13973 on: January 07, 2015, 05:48:59 AM »
I will farm, no doubt about it, need to earn/find enough goodies to build up my toons properly.
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #13974 on: January 07, 2015, 05:53:38 AM »
With ya there buddy!
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #13975 on: January 07, 2015, 06:54:43 AM »
It's bad to assume that people that farmed were not hardcore fans.

I had 3 paid accounts, badge characters, lead incarnate trials and tfs and when I wasn't teaming I was farming and I know many people that fall into the same category as me.
Some days all you do is farm while others you do alot of teaming.

Let people do what's fun for them, let's not get off to a bad start bashing those of us that liked farming.

I wasn't bashing, I was simply saying that those of us still hanging in for the game to come back are far more likely to just want to PLAY for a few months, rather than get back into the farming schtick.

Can you honestly sit there and say all you want to do is to come back and start farming?

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #13976 on: January 07, 2015, 07:50:09 AM »
I'm a proud farmer. :)

My plan for if/when the game returns is. Roll an SS/Elec brute and farm freakshows for purples. Make a costume AE farm for him and farm tickets.

In between all that farming, roll an elec/ice/something dom (was going to be elec/ice troller) and hand level him, doing all the tfs ect...

I always had alts going, some I teamed with, some I PLed, some I farmed with ect..

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13977 on: January 07, 2015, 07:59:15 AM »
It's going to be nuts having to earn all my crafting badges again.  :(

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13978 on: January 07, 2015, 08:12:09 AM »
It's going to be nuts having to earn all my crafting badges again.  :(

Craft badges and dayjob badges are at the bottom of my badge regain list.
I might do the L30 and L50 craft badges to gain all the salvage/recipie/market bonuses but the rest can wait.
In fearful COH-less days

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13979 on: January 07, 2015, 08:14:34 AM »
I'm a proud farmer. :)

My plan for if/when the game returns is. Roll an SS/Elec brute and farm freakshows for purples. Make a costume AE farm for him and farm tickets.

In between all that farming, roll an elec/ice/something dom (was going to be elec/ice troller) and hand level him, doing all the tfs ect...

I always had alts going, some I teamed with, some I PLed, some I farmed with ect..

I remember my SS/Elec fondly, he was at the S/L def cap and energy Def cap and maxed energy resistance.  Loved the energy farms I set up for him in AE.

My original hero character and my original villain character will return at first then my ss/fire and ss/elec farmers.   Then slowly some other old favorites will return.
In fearful COH-less days