Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7292897 times)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #11560 on: September 15, 2014, 05:09:09 AM »
I'd be quite happy to be proven wrong, you know. I don't think I am, but we shall see.

I'm not sure how to do that, because I wasn't making a prediction about how long the maintenance team would take, just how long the technical aspects can take.  I suppose if they succeed and get possession of the server code, I could stand up a private server as a proof of concept and everyone could time me, but I don't have the time to do that for free, and I don't think the maintenance team would me allowed to hand me a copy of the servers just to settle a wager.

However, PM me if you would like to pursue this discussion further.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #11561 on: September 15, 2014, 06:29:44 AM »
Nah, it's really not worth the bother. Besides, the topic was how long it would take to get the game back up and running, not how long it'd take 1 person to get a private server going. :p

thunderforce

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11562 on: September 15, 2014, 10:04:00 AM »
YES! This was a big part of the reason I drifted from the game. If you look at Positron's column at mmorpg.com (http://www.mmorpg.com/features.cfm/view/columns/show/45_Matt-Miller) you can see that he was anti alt (http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/7676/Altism.html) and very concerned with the "end game" (http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/7274/Endgame.html).

Gah! (Of course, I feel much the same way about IOs and grinding Imperious as you seem to about Incarnate Trials, but...)

All else aside, altoholism makes players run the early-game content more often - perhaps many more times. When the main problem for MMOs is keeping players interested by making them feel there's something else to do, that sounds like gold dust for developers, not a problem.

Baja

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11563 on: September 15, 2014, 10:34:28 AM »
Gah! (Of course, I feel much the same way about IOs and grinding Imperious as you seem to about Incarnate Trials, but...)

All else aside, altoholism makes players run the early-game content more often - perhaps many more times. When the main problem for MMOs is keeping players interested by making them feel there's something else to do, that sounds like gold dust for developers, not a problem.

I disagree with this to a certain extent. I believe altitis is something to be appreciated in a game like this, especially when you have a massive amount of power combinations. Not only that, the costume designer is extremely biased to creative types. Expecting people to not create a mass amount of alts is like asking a kid to pick only one candy the first time he/she goes to the candy store, depending on the kid, you'll most likely be there for a substantial amount of time. Now that being said I agree end game content is required as a there are those people who rush to the end and then complain "This game is too short, there's nothing to do." Personally I think a good way to fix this would be offer multiple early game paths, allowing players to alt multiple times. Incarnate trials definitely fill a hole in the CoX universe, however they do a terrible job doing so. I really don't see how repeating the same mission over and over for a new power is any different than doing so with a new power set combination or AT.

I suppose here lies the confliction of an MMO with so many possibilities, what exactly do you focus on as a development team? Do you cater to only one type of player? Or try and make everyone happy with the possibility of lacking meaningful content... I believe with enough time and money both could be achieved, I just think a certain level of transparency is required. Explaining how, why, and when certain content could be made available, to me, makes a a bit more sense than saying "It's impossible" only to have it implemented in game 6 months later. Eventually people see you cry wolf and realize you think of them as idiots, which is very much how I saw the devs treating players on the old coh forums. Don't get me wrong, I understand the justification behind their ways, I just believe there was a better road to be taken.

Anyways that's just my two cents on the whole end game vs early game dilemma.

Hopefully we can all argue in broadcast again soon like the good ole' days ;)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 10:39:52 AM by Baja »

thunderforce

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11564 on: September 15, 2014, 10:41:18 AM »
I really don't see how repeating the same mission over and over for a new power is any different that doing so with a new power set combination or AT.

Er, well, the latter is much more potentially interesting?

I suppose here lies the confliction of an MMO with so many possibilities, what exactly do you focus on as a development team?

Well, there's a concrete example here; CoX did perfectly well for many years with zero end-game grind other than occasional Hami raids, but with facilities for rampant altoholism.

On the face of it, it seems to me that if one must repeat the same content - and given that content can only be written so fast, one must if one is to stay with the game - repeating it with radically different powers is much more interesting than repeating it with the same powers for the chance of a purple drop. But, all the evidence says I'm the exception there. :-/

Mindscythe

• Lieutenant
  • "Any world is what you make of it."
    • SoR Radio
« Reply #11565 on: September 15, 2014, 12:15:39 PM »
And no gnus is good gnus.
GARY GNU

I shall locate Simon and have him use his chalk to complete the deal. We'll be playing a 2D version of CoH, but hey, it'll be artistic-looking at least! ;)
"Radio... Radio... RADIO FREE OPPORTUNITY!"

http://www.profj.org/theradiospeaks/

Zerohour

• Lieutenant
  • Trapped in the Speed Force
« Reply #11566 on: September 15, 2014, 12:21:14 PM »
Wow, this thread has really slowed down hasn't it?  Did something happen?

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #11567 on: September 15, 2014, 12:37:54 PM »

Nope. Which is exactly why it's slowed down.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Fleur_uk

• Lieutenant
  • @Fleur_Eriss
« Reply #11568 on: September 15, 2014, 01:54:26 PM »
Nope. Which is exactly why it's slowed down.

Aww Cheers   :P that saves me riffling through 50+ pages to see what's going on :)

thunderforce

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11569 on: September 15, 2014, 01:57:05 PM »

I think much of the action is now in the "mask comes off" thread.

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11570 on: September 15, 2014, 02:01:59 PM »

We know where the deal sits, we're all just patiently waiting for further news. Some wait patiently in silence, others prefer to argue on the internet. I signed up for a Computer Science class so I'd have something to do. With that, and me taking the lead re-writing our entire application suite at work, I'm not bored! Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather be staying up 'til 2:00am playing CoH, but since that's currently impossible, I'm just trying to stay busy. Good Luck on your end!

Wammo

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11571 on: September 15, 2014, 02:37:44 PM »
Another Monday and another day closer to logging in...Loving it! I am so incredibly excited to hear a date to put on the calendar soon...

umber

• Boss
    • My CoH Characters
« Reply #11572 on: September 15, 2014, 02:50:51 PM »
YES! This was a big part of the reason I drifted from the game. If you look at Positron's column at mmorpg.com (http://www.mmorpg.com/features.cfm/view/columns/show/45_Matt-Miller) you can see that he was anti alt (http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/7676/Altism.html) and very concerned with the "end game" (http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/7274/Endgame.html). There's other articles he wrote that support my conclusion that he was the driving force behind what drove me away from the game.

Wow.  I never cared for Matt Miller's work ethic for several reasons but I had no idea he was anti-alt as well.  Dunno, guess i assumed the devs found alt-aholism to be the *saving grace* of CoH, the game lacked any real endgame content for so long, it was so alt-friendly, how in the world could they look down on the very reason people stayed with their game for so long?  This is like... a Prince fan telling me they don't much care for Sign O The Times. 

And his reasons... there was never any significant number of people complaining about needing to get all new badges on every single alt.  Badgers did indeed have mains and they for the largest part only sought badges on those mains.  Posi was living in some imagined world that conveniently strawmanned into his personal preferences.

thunderforce

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11573 on: September 15, 2014, 03:07:18 PM »

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11574 on: September 15, 2014, 03:15:52 PM »
You'd think that would be the case, but apparently marketing executives don't.  They seem to think "this worked for WoW, so if we do it too, we'll have WoW subscriber numbers!", regardless of how illogical that is.

GamingGlen

• Boss
« Reply #11575 on: September 15, 2014, 03:55:50 PM »
"illogical"

Suddenly I had a thought: Vulcan MMOs would be drearily boring.  There would only be one costume, one class/archetype, one path, etc: the most efficient.  And, none would ever involve time travel (which to me is a good thing  :D).

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #11576 on: September 15, 2014, 04:05:22 PM »
"illogical"

-raises eyebrow- Fascinating.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #11577 on: September 15, 2014, 04:14:14 PM »
"illogical"

Suddenly I had a thought: Vulcan MMOs would be drearily boring.  There would only be one costume, one class/archetype, one path, etc: the most efficient.  And, none would ever involve time travel (which to me is a good thing  :D).

If no one archetype is better than another (they have different strengths and weaknesses, but overall they balance out), how can "the most efficient" be defined?
Also, would it not be logical to have different costumes for the purpose of distinguishing individuals/team members from one another?

zaran

• Underling
« Reply #11578 on: September 15, 2014, 04:18:59 PM »
"illogical"

Except they would get *reeeal* interesting about once every seven years >:D

Des_Tructive

• Lieutenant
  • SLAP!
    • Meta - Superhuman Covert Ops (german)
« Reply #11579 on: September 15, 2014, 04:47:47 PM »
Guys, have you seen the released version of the Story Bible?
Totally missed that.
All my thanks are belong to you.
CoX: @DeS Tructive
TSW: BloodyCarrie; HrFaust; TheContact